What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (2 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
Again you miss the point and dont actually look at the studies. If buddy has his guns stored properly and the safety is on and there is no round in the chamber or maybe even a trigger lock, your studies fall apart. Are most people irresponsible ########s with little consideration for others? Absolutely. Did you make any effort to even figure out if buddyball was a responsible owner? Nope. 

So you lump him in with the guy in that study that stored his gun in the pantry fully loaded and chambered with no safety on even. Gee i wonder why a real discussion never takes place. 

For the record i am not a gun owner. Unless you count the pellet gun i own.
Look I don't know Buddy Ball's exact set up other than his statement that he stores them in every room in his house.  I hope they are all locked up in a safe place and the gun owner I am closest with (my cousin who is a cop) keeps his service pistol locked in a gun safe and I hope everyone does that.  Either way I am just talking from a statistical point of view that your risk of injury and death goes up with a gun in your home. 

Thats not my point. My point is that making laws to limit guns will not stop murders. What we should be working on is the WHY.  I think with murders/mass shootings/bombings etc we should be looking at why life isn't valued, whats the mental make up of people willing to do this etc. But instead we continue to try and make laws that IMO will never stop people from killing others. 
Laws are not just for preventing conduct but for stating what conduct we as a society say shouldn't be permissible.  Under your logic we shouldn't have any laws since it won't stop anyone from doing what they want.  

I am all for added funding to mental health care and supporting government studies on gun violence.  However, I also want laws that say what types of guns people should be permitted to own.

Last edited by a moderator:
So these modifications to make the gun an automatic are legal?
They are.  The reason is that technically, as automatic fire has been defined, the gun is not firing automatically.  It is being mechanically fired.  Automatic fire has previously not been defined as a rate of fire, but as a function of whether the gas pressures within the firing chamber of the weapon eject the spent round, load another, and engage the firing pin.  Bump fire stocks remove that last element from internal to external.  It takes mechanical advantage of the recoil to the stock, and then back to the trigger.  A difference that doesn't matter, particularly, if you are being sprayed with fire.

I note that bump stocks make this so anyone can produce an effect that an experienced shooter can produce without one. Also, one can produce fairly rapid rates of fire, rates exceeding 100 rounds a minute with a simple trigger pull or with a lever action.  I have seen pump action and bolt action guns produce rates of fire that still equal nearly 60 rounds a minute, which is a frightening rate of fire if one is under it.

I agree about the bump fire and other rapid-fire mechanisms.  It's good to hear your thoughts on them and you know there will be a major push back if there is an attempt to ban them.

This is just too easy.
Thanks. Yes I think there will be pushback on any banning, even something like the bump/slide stocks. I used to be in that camp but now am good with that concession. I have other buddies who are still against it. No doubt there will be a fight for any concessions, largely because on this side there is a perception that there is no "Compromise"... only giving. And once one thing is given, the other side won't be satisfied... just demanding the next thing. So why concede to giving. 

Unfortunately I think both sides have some room to grow here... 

Thats not my point. My point is that making laws to limit guns will not stop murders. What we should be working on is the WHY.  I think with murders/mass shootings/bombings etc we should be looking at why life isn't valued, whats the mental make up of people willing to do this etc. But instead we continue to try and make laws that IMO will never stop people from killing others. 
So what do you think about universal heathcare?

The mass shooting that just happened looks like it took a great deal of planning and research to pull off. You think a gun law would have stopped this guy from killing numerous people, I do not. 
By your own argument, you do think so.

He was a law abiding citizen up to this point, therefore if those guns were illegal, he would have not had the contacts or wherewithal to acquire those weapons to plan it. You said it yourself. Unless you think something magical happens when one decides to break the law, that they gain access to this secret club of criminals where they supply each other illegal heavy weaponry. Like in the movies.

I could plan an invasion of Canada, but without an army and resources to execute it, it means nothing.

I am wondering could supports of gun rights support any of the following: 1) A ban on semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines or clips greater than 10 (coupled with a repurchase program funded by the government for all guns banned with reimbursement at the price paid), 2) A ban on all clips and magazines greater than 10 for any gun, 3)  Guns owners should be required to have license (much like a car license with reasonable education and testing requirements), 4) bans on all bump fire stocks and similar devices that can modify a gun to be similar to an automatic weapon and 5) background checks and waiting periods are required for all sales (public and private)?  

If not are their certain things you could get behind such as limits on magazine capacity or bump fire stocks?  Also, would love to know what issues you have with the above and why it is a problem for you such as being overly broad?    

He was a law abiding citizen up to this point, therefore if those guns were illegal, he would have not had the contacts or wherewithal to acquire those weapons to plan it. You said it yourself. Unless you think something magical happens when one decides to break the law, that they gain access to this secret club of criminals where they supply each other illegal heavy weaponry. Like in the movies.

I could plan an invasion of Canada, but without an army and resources to execute it, it means nothing.
If you are planning to commit murder you are not a law abiding citizen. He committed crimes well before this.  

If you are planning to commit murder you are not a law abiding citizen. He committed crimes well before this.  
Did he? As far as I can tell he has no record. What types of crimes result in access to this mythical network you envision giving all criminals access to weaponry that law abiding citizens don't have access to?

Are you proposing that people are predestined to commit crimes? That since he eventually committed murder, he was always a criminal even before the crime, therefor he would have access to this magic criminal network and gun laws would not have prevented this? Does that sound crazy? It is.

We don't want to offer healthcare to anyone before they snap.

We don't want to offer healthcare to any victims of shootings.

We don't want to put reasonable limits on who can own what kinds of guns.

Seems like a reasonable approach. 

We don't want to offer healthcare to anyone before they snap.

We don't want to offer healthcare to any victims of shootings.

We don't want to put reasonable limits on who can own what kinds of guns.

Seems like a reasonable approach. 
But of course nothing can stop any of these events from happening...

You mean the dark web, that isn't so secret.

They are.  The reason is that technically, as automatic fire has been defined, the gun is not firing automatically.  It is being mechanically fired.  Automatic fire has previously not been defined as a rate of fire, but as a function of whether the gas pressures within the firing chamber of the weapon eject the spent round, load another, and engage the firing pin.  Bump fire stocks remove that last element from internal to external.  It takes mechanical advantage of the recoil to the stock, and then back to the trigger.  A difference that doesn't matter, particularly, if you are being sprayed with fire.

I note that bump stocks make this so anyone can produce an effect that an experienced shooter can produce without one. Also, one can produce fairly rapid rates of fire, rates exceeding 100 rounds a minute with a simple trigger pull or with a lever action.  I have seen pump action and bolt action guns produce rates of fire that still equal nearly 60 rounds a minute, which is a frightening rate of fire if one is under it.
Ugh. It's disheartening to know that an experienced shooter could achieve that level of damage without the modification but the argument is always "what would have prevented this" Now, this guy doesn't appear to be a trained shooter, that we know of right now, so while he still could have done a lot of carnage without the modification, it seems like a no-brainer to me to make the modification illegal. At least to limit the capabilities.

Just think about how many people are now being made aware that their guns can be legally converted. Most probably know it but I'm sure there are some gangs out there that are paying attention.

My 2 cents:

There will be a big effort again to ban assault rifles, which will never happen, because you know the 2nd and NRA.  So they'll try banning bump stops and similar things (what percentage of the population ever heard the words bump stop before yesterday?). Which will do absolutely no good.  For gun restrictions to have any significant effect the restrictions would have to be huge and I don't see that any time soon the way our laws and lobbyists are set up right now.  We should focus as much effort as possible on the WHY and not the HOW.

You mean the dark web, that isn't so secret.

My 2 cents:

There will be a big effort again to ban assault rifles, which will never happen, because you know the 2nd and NRA.  So they'll try banning bump stops and similar things (what percentage of the population ever heard the words bump stop before yesterday?). Which will do absolutely no good.  For gun restrictions to have any significant effect the restrictions would have to be huge and I don't see that any time soon the way our laws and lobbyists are set up right now.  We should focus as much effort as possible on the WHY and not the HOW.
You mean the place that is heavily monitored by the FBI and police?

My 2 cents:

Why not both?

Did he? As far as I can tell he has no record. What types of crimes result in access to this mythical network you envision giving all criminals access to weaponry that law abiding citizens don't have access to?

Are you proposing that people are predestined to commit crimes? That since he eventually committed murder, he was always a criminal even before the crime, therefor he would have access to this magic criminal network and gun laws would not have prevented this? Does that sound crazy? It is.
It is illegal to plan a murder. Just because he was not caught doing so does not mean he was not committing crimes. 

My 2 cents:

I wish we could get a law that says magazines can't be larger than 10.  I think that could help on these huge scale mass shooting type events buy only over a period of time.  Of course criminals will be able to get them but that shouldn't be a reason not to have a law.  I would be willing to drop banning semi-automatic AR-15 rifles if you could have a good limit on magazine size.  

I wish we could go further and have a license and registration system for all guns but that seems unlikely.  Also, banning semi-automatic "assault rifles" seems a tough thing to get as well though we still haven't gotten a good reason in this thread why they are needed.

It’s not as anonymous as people think.
Why does it still exist and why does it thrive?  You can pick any one of those 7 things and I can explain how it can be beat.  But, none of this has anything to do with your original claim.  You've now moved on to the mythical network, that does exist, has some challenges from law enforcement.  Duh.

Does anyone know how many of these people that commit mass murders are on anti depression type meds? My guess the number is rather high. 

I wish we could get a law that says magazines can't be larger than 10.  I think that could help on these huge scale mass shooting type events buy only over a period of time.  Of course criminals will be able to get them but that shouldn't be a reason not to have a law.  I would be willing to drop banning semi-automatic AR-15 rifles if you could have a good limit on magazine size.  

I wish we could go further and have a license and registration system for all guns but that seems unlikely.  Also, banning semi-automatic "assault rifles" seems a tough thing to get as well though we still haven't gotten a good reason in this thread why they are needed.
My brother has taken the opportunity to show me several times why a ban on magazines wouldn't work.  He can drop and change a clip in about 10 milliseconds.  (not sure how fast it really is, faster than I can push a button on a stop watch)

Why does it still exist and why does it thrive?  You can pick any one of those 7 things and I can explain how it can be beat.  But, none of this has anything to do with your original claim.  You've now moved on to the mythical network, that does exist, has some challenges from law enforcement.  Duh.
It has nothing to do with it? Really?

You don't think this would deter mass shooters? Who generally are not career criminals prior to this? Having

Having to go into a store and buy an AR-15 vs having to download a VPN, navigate to the dark web, hope they aren't buying from a cop, hope their transaction isn't monitored, hope they aren't being scammed, then getting the weapons? You don't think that would decrease these events? Seriously?

Having to go into a store and buy an AR-15 vs having to download a VPN, navigate to the dark web, hope they aren't buying from a cop, hope their transaction isn't monitored, hope they aren't being scammed, then getting the weapons? You don't think that would decrease these events? Seriously?
Nope.  Not one bit. 

I'd hate to speculate but yeah, probably high.  
I know I read somewhere that the % of people that commit suicide that are on anti depression meds is rather high as well. I wonder if there is some sort of correlation. Maybe these drugs are doing more harm than good? 

I have to assume all you against stricter gun laws are also against stricter immigration laws. Right?

I mean, if someone wants to come here to do bad things they’ll find a way, legal or otherwise.

It has nothing to do with it? Really?

You don't think this would deter mass shooters? Who generally are not career criminals prior to this? Having

I'm all in for banning assault rifles, if I thought it was possible in our current political climate.   I actually think it would have some effect.  Or make it more difficult in obtaining one.  But that has nothing to do with our discussion.

I was just pointing out the flaw in the logic you were using here:

that they gain access to this secret club of criminals where they supply each other illegal heavy weaponry. Like in the movies.

Like it or not everyone has access to a secret club of criminals where they supply each other illegal heavy weaponry.  Fact.

:goodposting:

I have been shooting and hunting for about 30 years now. I own several guns. I would find it extraordinarily difficult to point any of them at another person and fire. Even in an extreme self-defense situation, I think it would be a very difficult thing to do. I suspect the vast majority of people feel similar (ie it would not be easy to do (if they could do it at all)).

There have always been a lot of guns in this country and they have always been pretty easy to get. If we distributed assault rifles and cases of ammo door-to-door for free, the overwhelming majority of people still would not go on a killing spree. It takes a certain individual/mindset to do it. So while we can (and should) take all facets into consideration, we need to focus more on why people do these things than what they use, IMO. I understand why the attention immediately goes to the guns (and it is important to talk about them and ask if we can make changes for the better (I believe we can)) but we always seem to spend an inappropriate amount of time/effort arguing about guns and not nearly enough on what makes individuals not only want to kill other people but actually go through with it. What has happened/is happening to make people in this country place less value on human life? What is really going on that more individuals seem to be arriving at the conclusion taking out multiple other people (and then themselves) is the way to go?

If we could melt-down every gun today, (tomorrow) individuals would still want to kill others and find a way to do so. We need to work on why that is because we certainly cant eliminate everything someone would use to kill another person.

VPN ensures privacy.  It's TOR that provides anonymity.    And installing a VPN is as simple as downloading an app on your phone.  Much easier than walking into a store and passing a back ground check.  

If the shooter wanted to get away, rather than commit suicide, an untraceable gun without a background check sounds pretty good.

Why would anyone ever need 30 rounds???
Why would anyone need a 30 pack of beer?

Convenience? We live in a country of excess. It's in our fabric. Whether it's guns , cars, food, sex, it's all about consuming as much as we can as fast as we can. Guns are no different. 

Convenience? We live in a country of excess. It's in our fabric. Whether it's guns , cars, food, sex, it's all about consuming as much as we can as fast as we can. Guns are no different. 
To share with your friends?

Should and do the US laws allow all types of convenience

My brother has taken the opportunity to show me several times why a ban on magazines wouldn't work.  He can drop and change a clip in about 10 milliseconds.  (not sure how fast it really is, faster than I can push a button on a stop watch)
Ok appreciate the input.  I am not a gun owner so not knowledgeable but would also like to know what reasonable limitations can be put on that might work.  

I am wondering could supports of gun rights support any of the following:

1) A ban on semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines or clips greater than 10 (coupled with a repurchase program funded by the government for all guns banned with reimbursement at the price paid)
This is kind of misworded. Are you trying to ban rifles with detachable magazines, or magazines with a capacity greater than 10. I'm against the ban of either, in any case. I'm also against federal deficit spending on a program like this. 

2) A ban on all clips and magazines greater than 10 for any gun
I'm against this personally on pistols as it necessitates me carrying another magazine with my EDC pistol and requires a redesign of many firearms... while likely not really impacting crime much (most firearms used in crimes are not procured through standard channels. IF you'd like to ban extended magazines that extend beyond the designed framework/capacity of the handgun I'm fine with that. 

With regard to rifles, 30rd magazine has become the defacto standard for recreational/defense use for the AK and AR platforms. In this particular shooting there were reportedly extended 100rd surefire mags used. I am okay with a ban of "extended capacity" magazines defined as those over the standard 30rds. Extended mags, drum mags, and any hacks around the standard configuration can be banned, IMO. 

3)  Guns owners should be required to have license (much like a car license with reasonable education and testing requirements)
The license for automobiles is required to drive on public roads, not to own or drive a car. As it stands now there is a fairly in-depth day long training class required to get a concealed carry permit in most states. I'd like to encourage more testing, perhaps a short written test followed by range/shooting test to confirm you are still familiar with the law, and how to safely operate a firearm. Fail an you must go through a full day training course to be certified again.  

4) bans on all bump fire stocks and similar devices that can modify a gun to be similar to an automatic weapon and
I am okay with a ban on bump fire and similar devices 

5) background checks and waiting periods are required for all sales (public and private)?  
I'm not a fan of universal background checks, but do think they should be required for all non-family transactions, so long as there is no storage/tracking of this data for registration purposes. 
My personal feelings in red. 

Guns are no different than beer or food. Are you serious?

Ok appreciate the input.  I am not a gun owner so not knowledgeable but would also like to know what reasonable limitations can be put on that might work.  
Me neither.  But, I think the obvious ones are banning assault rifles, stiffer background checks, and closing loopholes.  All of which have a history of great push back and failure.

:goodposting:

I have been shooting and hunting for about 30 years now. I own several guns. I would find it extraordinarily difficult to point any of them at another person and fire. Even in an extreme self-defense situation, I think it would be a very difficult thing to do. I suspect the vast majority of people feel similar (ie it would not be easy to do (if they could do it at all)).

There have always been a lot of guns in this country and they have always been pretty easy to get. If we distributed assault rifles and cases of ammo door-to-door for free, the overwhelming majority of people still would not go on a killing spree. It takes a certain individual/mindset to do it. So while we can (and should) take all facets into consideration, we need to focus more on why people do these things than what they use, IMO. I understand why the attention immediately goes to the guns (and it is important to talk about them and ask if we can make changes for the better (I believe we can)) but we always seem to spend an inappropriate amount of time/effort arguing about guns and not nearly enough on what makes individuals not only want to kill other people but actually go through with it. What has happened/is happening to make people in this country place less value on human life? What is really going on that more individuals seem to be arriving at the conclusion taking out multiple other people (and then themselves) is the way to go?

If we could melt-down every gun today, (tomorrow) individuals would still want to kill others and find a way to do so. We need to work on why that is because we certainly cant eliminate everything someone would use to kill another person.
Do people really value human life less now then they did a decade or two ago?  There were always nutjobs out there and always will be.  Now a days these nutjobs have access to an arsenal of weapons that they shouldn't.  I'm not saying melt every gun but come on no one needs an automatic weapon and they should be banned.  I own a 20 gauge (from my hunting days 20 years ago) and a 22 pistol so I'm not anti gun. 

Yes there are too many out there now and we still need to figure out the why but let's make it as difficult as possible for these guys to get their hands on weapons that sole purpose is to kill as many people as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread