What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (6 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
Yeah, I think there's a chance.  While I certainly don't think conservatives value the lives of gay people more than kindergartners, the one thing they can't have is the perception of being soft on terrorism.  This is likely the new blueprint, right?  Why spend months planning an elaborate attack when you can simply walk into a store, buy a semi-automatic in 7 minutes, go into a crowded place and open fire? 
Bingo... The blueprint is laid out. Soft targets, assault rifles, massive casualties, easily planned/easy to stay under the radar/easy to kill a bunch of people. 

Yeah, I think there's a chance.  While I certainly don't think conservatives value the lives of gay people more than kindergartners, the one thing they can't have is the perception of being soft on terrorism.  This is likely the new blueprint, right?  Why spend months planning an elaborate attack when you can simply walk into a store, buy a semi-automatic in 7 minutes, go into a crowded place and open fire? 
This was actually the initial outrage of my far-right FB friends.  Blaming Obama because "we're such ####### we afraid of hurting people's feelings by profiling!" "The FBI knew about this guy but our POS president is too soft to stop him from buying guns!!!!"  "Thanks Obama!".

Which is it, right-wingers?  I hear you complaining from both sides.

Which is it, right-wingers?  I hear you complaining from both sides.
Guns are an issue that go far beyond right and left and anyone pointing a finger at the other side needs to pay more attention. 

As an example - Bill O'Reilly is against assault rifles, Howard Stern loves guns. These guys are political opposites, and the views on guns they express are technically aligned with the reverse party. 

A reporter in Philly bought an AR-15 from a local gun shop on Monday. Took seven minutes. 

That seems a little quick.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/helen_ubinas/20160614_Ubinas__I_bought_an_AR-15_semi-automatic_rifle_in_Philly_in_7_minutes.html

edit: Hadn't seen it linked a few minutes ago, sorry.
How long do you think it should take to run a NICS background check? You realize that information is all computerized these days, right? It's not like someone is rifling through a file cabinet to find your name. 

If someone has a clear background check, I'm not sure why the transaction shouldn't be allowed to go smoothly? How long is long enough? 12 minutes? 19 minutes? Should someone have to take a day off work to buy a gun? 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a little disingenuous, isn't it? It took seven minutes to retrieve information. Seems reasonable.

If you want to argue that information isn't enough to make a decision with, you might have a point.

But the length of time it takes to access the information isn't really relevant. 

How long do you think it should take to run a NICS background check? You realize that information is all computerized these days, right? It's not like someone is rifling through a file cabinet to find your name. 

If someone has a clear background check, I'm not sure why the transaction shouldn't be allowed to go smoothly? How long is long enough? 12 minutes? 19 minutes? 
We should look to further reduce the time, maybe make it a drive-through for an AR-15.

I'll take the AR-15, a few extended clips, and a little body armor.

Pull around, that'll be $1275.50 sir

The point is that these people want to take away my Constitutional right just because they don't agree with it.  I hope you realize that is a very slippery slope.

...and that there is no such thing as an "assault" rifle.

Their wish to take away my "assault" rifle that has never harmed a single human being is no more valid than than if I wished to take away their Toyota Priuses because they are ugly.  ...or their tofu.  ...or whatever else liberal weenies are into these days.

But arguing about it and me getting mad on here this morning isn't worth it.

The line has been drawn in the sand already.  We aren't giving up our guns.

Argue away.

Not even if laws change?

We should look to further reduce the time, maybe make it a drive-through for an AR-15.

I'll take the AR-15, a few extended clips, and a little body armor.

Pull around, that'll be $1275.50 sir
Why not? The government put laws in requiring background checks, and has taken it upon themselves to maintain these background databases. If the databases are incomplete or inaccurate... we need to focus on fixing that. It's CRITICAL the NICS database complies all criminal / mental health / etc issues that should preclude an individual from owning a firearm. 

However, assuming someone is clear on the NICS system, I feel like buying a firearm should be no different than any other transaction. Show ID, Run background check, pay for firearm and leave. 

Guns are an issue that go far beyond right and left and anyone pointing a finger at the other side needs to pay more attention. 

As an example - Bill O'Reilly is against assault rifles, Howard Stern loves guns. These guys are political opposites, and the views on guns they express are technically aligned with the reverse party. 
Well, it seems to be the GOP that argues against gun laws.  What gun-control measures have come from the GOP?

If someone has a clear background check, I'm not sure why the transaction shouldn't be allowed to go smoothly? How long is long enough? 12 minutes? 19 minutes? Should someone have to take a day off work to buy a gun? 
72 hour cool off/down period is how it works in Florida. 72 hours was plenty of time for the FBI to see his name and meet him as he takes ownership of the guns or deliver them to him personally and pay him a new visit. 

If you rifle thru the thread I brought your name up in discussion, page 4/5 I think.  

Well, it seems to be the GOP that argues against gun laws.  What gun-control measures have come from the GOP?
Neither party does, they're both ####### useless. 

Sure, after a shooting like this, we'll hear from some and blah blah blah, but it fades after a short time until the next shooting. I'd love a politician to have something in his platform about this, then we'll see how popular the opinion is. Obviously his life would be in danger bc the NRA are about as bat#### crazy as any organization in the world, but someone should try.

California is taking baby steps right now, but that is about it.

I know how 75% of you candy-asses will respond, but why shouldn't I be able to walk into my local sporting goods store and buy an M-60?
Serious question.  Why is my Constitutional Right to Bear Arms impinged upon here?  Shooting an M60 is fun, I can use it for home defense and it will offer me a little more protection against the heavy armaments that the government possesses in the event that I have to take up arms against a tyrant. Why should the be any restrictions on me buying one today?

Serious question.  Why is my Constitutional Right to Bear Arms impinged upon here?  Shooting an M60 is fun, I can use it for home defense and it will offer me a little more protection against the heavy armaments that the government possesses in the event that I have to take up arms against a tyrant. Why should the be any restrictions on me buying one today?
Honest question: Are you kidding?

I don't think outlawing automatic guns will stop someone who is out to kill a bunch of people.  The guy arguably could have killed more people with a moving truck full of fertilizer.  Bans will just prevent law abiding citizens from acquiring them.  Criminals will still obtain them illegally, and  will soon be able to 3d print them.

I have no problem with the sporting goods store owner not wanting to sell you* a gun. 

* The royal "you". Not the Ignoramus "you".  I have no problem with a store owner feeling uncomfortable about selling "you" a weapon and refusing sale. 

Instead of saying I lack respect for history books, explain what is wrong with my refutation of your Rome analogy.

I don't see how I'm taking an "above all" approach, I'm just approaching this subject rationally. What do you believe the odds are that we'll be invaded by a foreign army? I'm not sure that it's even feasible for any one country to do so. 
I think we are more likely to succumb to internal strife than external invasion. A scenario where the U.S.splits into 3 to 5 separate countries someday is not out of the question.Maybe it will be peaceful, maybe violent, but it could happen. Unlikely in our lifetimes, but still plausible. And a gun ban could be a trigger, simply because those of us who live in rural areas view gun ownership differently from those who live in cities.

I can also see, in the west where water could become an issue worth fighting over, where illegal immigration could cause a spark, etc. All it takes is to get enough people pissed off enough or some governor calling out his National Guard and militia.

WHEN I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING FACTUAL TO CONTRIBUTE, I POST WHORE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I THINK IT'S FUNNY!!!

The point is that these people want to take away my Constitutional right just because they don't agree with it.  I hope you realize that is a very slippery slope.

...and that there is no such thing as an "assault" rifle.

Their wish to take away my "assault" rifle that has never harmed a single human being is no more valid than than if I wished to take away their Toyota Priuses because they are ugly.  ...or their tofu.  ...or whatever else liberal weenies are into these days.

But arguing about it and me getting mad on here this morning isn't worth it.

The line has been drawn in the sand already.  We aren't giving up our guns.

Argue away.
:lol: :lol:  this is too funny yet so sad at the same time. The fact there are people like you who spout this rhetoric and then wonder why certain things happen. Constitutional rights have been taken and granted in all forms get this one is so sacred and untouchable. Too funny. 

FWIW, I think the SCOTUS went off track when it went against the collective rights theory and apparently ignored the "well regulated militia" portion of the 2nd Amendment.

A friend of mine who is an avid hunter and gun collector in Northern MI has an assault rifle.  I have fired a shotgun once in my life that is my gun experience.  We went to the range with the assault rife, a 44 magnum and various other guns.  I fired the 44 magnum 18 times and hit the target twice. It was bulky and tough to handle.  Then he gave me the assault rifle with a 50 shot clip.  The first time I was just popping off shots trying to hit the target.  Took maybe 5 minutes.  The second time though I ripped off 50 shots in less than a minute going back and forth at targets and hitting many of them.  I was thinking at the time even a person like me with no background at all shooting this could walk into any crowded place with a couple of clips and take out masses of people.  It was frightening.
But was it FUN????????

Not taking a side in pro/anti guns here, but:

Protecting the country from foreign invaders is ridiculous.   There's no country in the world that has the military capability to successfully invade the United States.   For example, Cuba has 90,000 soldiers.   In comparison, there are 46,000 police officers and 65,000 active military personnel in Florida.  The police officers are probably better armed than the average Cuban soldier.  Too many of you grew up watching Red Dawn and dreaming of preventing the Cubans from pushing their way through the heartland of the country.   In reality, they'd be lucky to occupy Key West for a couple of days.
You do realize that Cubans have been used as mercenaries in a number of conflicts from Grenada to Angola right? I doubt our police could repel a Cuban invasion. The Navy/Coast Guard though, would cut off resupply and the Florida National Guard would delay them until the army got there.

The military has stinger missles, Apache helicopters, M1 Abrams tanks, F22s. reaper drones and enough nuclear weapons to destroy every lifeform on this planet.  And you think the populace is properly equipped to overthrow the government?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I doubt a modern military would turn its guns on its own citizens. They are citizen-soldiers and are just as likely to be on one or the other side of any revolt.

Has anyone else seen this on Facebook?

I stand behind you in line at the store with a smile on my face...and a gun under my shirt and you are none the wiser, yet you are safer for having me next to you. I won't shoot you. My gun won't pull it's own trigger. It is securely holstered with the trigger covered. It can't just go off. However, rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle, I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family. I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but, I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life. No, if I die it will be in a pile of spent shell casings. I won't be that victim. I choose not to be. As for you, I don't ask you to carry a gun. If you are not comfortable, then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose to not be a helpless victim. There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun, I want one too...
Copy and paste if you believe this too....
:rolleyes:

These people are exactly the reason we need more gun control.

:lol: :lol:  this is too funny yet so sad at the same time. The fact there are people like you who spout this rhetoric and then wonder why certain things happen. Constitutional rights have been taken and granted in all forms get this one is so sacred and untouchable. Too funny. 
You think it's funny that your government has taken away the Constitutional rights of Americans before?  You and I have very different senses of humor. 

Be careful about picking and choosing which rights you stand up for.  Your fellow Americans may be less inclined to defend you when the government comes for a right that you do enjoy.

Too sad.

ANOTHER VOTE FOR FUN :excited: :excited:
I saw a video where they took about 5 very liberal individuals who are were of the opinion that firearms should be banned to a firing range. They had a blast. Afterwards, the views ranged from they loved it and softened on the ban all guns to they can understand better why people like them but still want to ban them (only one held the line on still wanting to ban but he felt bad about it- :lol:)

I doubt a modern military would turn its guns on its own citizens. They are citizen-soldiers and are just as likely to be on one or the other side of any revolt.
So you think they'd turn in their weapons before entering their respective sides?  Not bloody likely, amigo.

You think it's funny that your government has taken away the Constitutional rights of Americans before?  You and I have very different senses of humor. 

Be careful about picking and choosing which rights you stand up for.  Your fellow Americans may be less inclined to defend you when the government comes for a right that you do enjoy.

Too sad.
You understand the Second Amendment was an amendment to the Constitution, right?

I saw a video where they took about 5 very liberal individuals who are were of the opinion that firearms should be banned to a firing range. They had a blast. Afterwards, the views ranged from they loved it and softened on the ban all guns to they can understand better why people like them but still want to ban them (only one held the line on still wanting to ban but he felt bad about it- :lol:)
I've shot a wide range of handguns, shotguns, and an AR-15 in my life. Sure they're fun, but that doesn't change my opinion. I'm specifically discussing assault rifles and those weapons that can do much damage in a short amount of time. Outside of FUN, they serve one purpose, killing. As a civilian I see no reason for me or anyone else to own one. 

I lean extremely right on almost every financial issue. I'd like to abolish welfare, in lieu of that, I'd like to drug test those who receive it. You want to go to college, you ####### pay for it or take on debts doing so. You want more money, work more hours or get a better job - Does that sound like a liberal? 

Users who are viewing this thread