What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (3 Viewers)

Joe's dropped today.
Sprits Shoppe announced they have a barrel that's non-chill filtered (NCF) thursday or friday. I got him to hold me 4 bottles back. 

Soooo now I'm at: 
• 6 Bottles Wine & Liquor Depot
• 4 Bottles Corks Wine 
• 4 Bottles Spirits Shoppe (promised)
• 2 Bottles Cheers LIquor
• 2 Bottles Poplar Wines
• 2 Bottles Joe's Liquor (buddy owed me) 

Still waiting on Busters to drop so my buddy can grab me the 2 from there he owes me. That would put me at 22 bottles from 7 different private barrel picks this season. 

I remember when I used to have hobbies...

So what's a good cheap but acceptable bourbon for my old fashioneds? Something just above the bottom shelf swill that tastes good for the money. 

So what's a good cheap but acceptable bourbon for my old fashioneds? Something just above the bottom shelf swill that tastes good for the money. 
Honestly, my go-to cheap bourbon is Evan Williams Bottled In Bond (White Label) at $22 per 1.75.

I made a 20L barrel aged old fashioned (14 handles of EW BIB) that aged for 2 months last year and it game out fantastic.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Will try the Evan & Ezra tonight and give my reviews.  :thumbup:  

Also making a barrel of old fashioneds sounds ####### awesome. 

Will try the Evan & Ezra tonight and give my reviews.  :thumbup:  

Also making a barrel of old fashioneds sounds ####### awesome. 
These are great barrels for reasonable price. Well made. Can customize with logo/text on barrel head. Nice charred inside for proper aging. 

• You can't really keep spirits/cocktails in them indefinitely as they will continue to "age" and over oaked whiskey/drinks can be pretty brutal. I suggest starting to taste at around 2 weeks for the 10L and 1 week for the 3L or 5L. You can plan one around an event, or keep the bottles you dump into it and re-bottle the aged spririt/cocktail once it's "just right". 

• You'll also want to rinse the barrel firs to remove wood chips, then let it soak at least a day or two with just water to swell it, sealing any leaks. 

• The barrel really shouldn't sit empty too long or the wood will shrink and it may leak. 

• Go easy on bitters if aging cocktails... they can react with the wood and get pretty intense quickly

These are great barrels for reasonable price. Well made. Can customize with logo/text on barrel head. Nice charred inside for proper aging. 

• You can't really keep spirits/cocktails in them indefinitely as they will continue to "age" and over oaked whiskey/drinks can be pretty brutal. I suggest starting to taste at around 2 weeks for the 10L and 1 week for the 3L or 5L. You can plan one around an event, or keep the bottles you dump into it and re-bottle the aged spririt/cocktail once it's "just right". 

• You'll also want to rinse the barrel firs to remove wood chips, then let it soak at least a day or two with just water to swell it, sealing any leaks. 

• The barrel really shouldn't sit empty too long or the wood will shrink and it may leak. 

• Go easy on bitters if aging cocktails... they can react with the wood and get pretty intense quickly

Have any experience with the 2.6 gallon barrel?  Specifically for aging bourbon.  Thinking of getting one to age some ER 10 just to see what happens

Have any experience with the 2.6 gallon barrel?  Specifically for aging bourbon.  Thinking of getting one to age some ER 10 just to see what happens
I've used the 20L and 5L and I'll say this.. that's a LOT of bourbon. You're talking about $450 to fill it up (13 bottles of ER). 

The aging variance is interesting. I've used a small 1L to test and I noticed a profound pickup of vanilla in the first few days, then it tapered off and did seem to mellow/round-off the whiskey a bit. By the 14 day mark it was starting to get a little over-oaked though. I left one in there for a couple months once and it was like liquid toothpick Quite bitter. 

I'd personally suggest against experimenting with that quantity of pricey/semi-rare bourbon. IMO your result isn't going to be akin to getting Eagle Rare 17 out of it. If you want to give it ta try, I'd suggest starting with a 1-2L barrel. 

I've used the 20L and 5L and I'll say this.. that's a LOT of bourbon. You're talking about $450 to fill it up (13 bottles of ER). 

The aging variance is interesting. I've used a small 1L to test and I noticed a profound pickup of vanilla in the first few days, then it tapered off and did seem to mellow/round-off the whiskey a bit. By the 14 day mark it was starting to get a little over-oaked though. I left one in there for a couple months once and it was like liquid toothpick Quite bitter. 

I'd personally suggest against experimenting with that quantity of pricey/semi-rare bourbon. IMO your result isn't going to be akin to getting Eagle Rare 17 out of it. If you want to give it ta try, I'd suggest starting with a 1-2L barrel. 
Thanks

My buddy the priest that does the barrel thing says that it only takes a few days, particularly with a new barrel. He goes to this restaurant often that has this barrel they've had for decades and they age in it for more than a month. When he got his barrel, he did the same thing and after a month it was disgusting. Now that he's had his for a few years, he can do a couple weeks, max. 

I think I read that the smaller the barrel the quicker and more intense the aging process is. Higher surface area to mass ratio or some such. 

He and I did a taste test between a bottom end 4 Roses ($19.99) against some $50 bottles and the Four Roses aged for week hung well in a blind taste test. 

My buddy the priest that does the barrel thing says that it only takes a few days, particularly with a new barrel. He goes to this restaurant often that has this barrel they've had for decades and they age in it for more than a month. When he got his barrel, he did the same thing and after a month it was disgusting. Now that he's had his for a few years, he can do a couple weeks, max. 

I think I read that the smaller the barrel the quicker and more intense the aging process is. Higher surface area to mass ratio or some such. 

He and I did a taste test between a bottom end 4 Roses ($19.99) against some $50 bottles and the Four Roses aged for week hung well in a blind taste test. 
Yep.. here's the timeline for barrel size / to achieve "1 year" of aging:

1L = 58 days
2L = 80 days
3L = 90 days
5L = 105 days
10L = 134 days
20L = 173 days.

Yes, your first use will extract much more of the "flavor" from the barrel.... each subsequent use will have less "flavor" remaining in the barrel, which is why Bourbon must use NEW american oak barrel. I would STRONGLY recommend tasting during the aging process though as it will get over-oaked a lot earlier than expected. :)

Regarding 4R vs $50 bottles... there is a LOT of overpriced garbage out there. I'm having a hard time thinking of more than a few bottles in the $50-75 range that I think are worth the money (Blantons, Old Forrester 1920, Michters BP Rye & Bourbon, EHT Straight Rye...). What did you guys put it against? 

I posted a few months ago about dipping my toes in the water here as a break from scotch.  I am now a total convert.  Been trying lots, settled mostly on Eagle Rare (thanks to the recommendations here) and am really loving Larceny, which my local store just got in a month ago and I've already been through a couple bottles.

Ready to take the leap and try some higher end stuff.  What should I be looking for that I might be able to find in Utah?

I posted a few months ago about dipping my toes in the water here as a break from scotch.  I am now a total convert.  Been trying lots, settled mostly on Eagle Rare (thanks to the recommendations here) and am really loving Larceny, which my local store just got in a month ago and I've already been through a couple bottles.

Ready to take the leap and try some higher end stuff.  What should I be looking for that I might be able to find in Utah?
I'm a big fan of the ryes. Angel's Envy Rye is my favorite. But Knob Creek makes a good rye, and Redemption Rye is really good too.

Park City's own High West Distillery has just released this year's "Midwinter Night's Dram" which is a port Barrel finished Rye similar to (but superior to, IMO) Angel's Envy. At $80ish it's no joke price wise, but makes an excellent holiday pour. 

Blantons at $50-60 is my go to recommendation for a starter "premium" bourbon. 

Michters small batch bourbon at $40ish 

FYI TO EVERYONE IN HERE:

I'm hearing that allocations are UP on Weller 12 this year with great yields. Start keeping your eyes open over the coming weeks. It can't hurt to start asking around to local shops and politely asking if they could set aside a bottle for ya when it comes in. 

[icon] said:
Regarding 4R vs $50 bottles... there is a LOT of overpriced garbage out there. I'm having a hard time thinking of more than a few bottles in the $50-75 range that I think are worth the money (Blantons, Old Forrester 1920, Michters BP Rye & Bourbon, EHT Straight Rye...). What did you guys put it against? 
Bookers, Bakers, Angels Envey, Makers 46, Noah's Mill, EH Taylor

FYI TO EVERYONE IN HERE:

I'm hearing that allocations are UP on Weller 12 this year with great yields. Start keeping your eyes open over the coming weeks. It can't hurt to start asking around to local shops and politely asking if they could set aside a bottle for ya when it comes in. 
Sweet

Yep. Same thing happened to me. Haven't touched Scotch in so long. I have a nice Macallan 15 in my bar that Macallan sent me last year. Haven't opened it. 

[icon] said:

1L = 58 days
2L = 80 days
3L = 90 days
5L = 105 days
10L = 134 days
20L = 173 days.

Yes, your first use will extract much more of the "flavor" from the barrel.... each subsequent use will have less "flavor" remaining in the barrel, which is why Bourbon must use NEW american oak barrel. I would STRONGLY recommend tasting during the aging process though as it will get over-oaked a lot earlier than expected. :)

I'll have to go home and check. It was a bunch of sample bottles of some really great stuff that one of the big Bourbon guys on Instagram sent me. I remember Midwinter's Night Dram was one of them. I've still got the little sample bottles. I'll just need to remember to check them. 

[icon] said:

1L = 58 days
2L = 80 days
3L = 90 days
5L = 105 days
10L = 134 days
20L = 173 days.

Thanks for the recommendation! I picked up a bottle at my local liquor store last night and it was excellent. I hate just randomly picking a bottle in that price range to hope its good.

What bottles are you targeting and wanting pricing on? 

Eagle Rare is a ~$30 bottle... give or take a buck or two on taxes. 
Weller 12yr should be $35ish if you can find it... often marked up IF hit hits shelves
Old Weller Antique 107pf is $25-30ish depending on state and if it's barrel pick or normal release
Weller Special Reserve is $20-25ish for same reasons. 

Retail used to be lower but it's creeping up as retailers know they'll sell it all at higher prices. 
Went to Total Wine and More and they had bubkis. Reached out to a local guy who owns a great place to see what he can get me. Dad's good friends with him. But the guy is out of town. So I have to be patient. 

local abc limits the sale of buffalo trace to 1 bottle a day

making my rounds today he mentioned they got in a new product he hasn't tried yet

basil hayden dark rye

anyone try this?

basil hayden dark rye

anyone try this?
Have not but it's a blended product that's being pimped as limited. I don't like regular BH (too thin) and I'm not a huge fan of finished whiskies let alone ones that are blended (canadian and kentucky ryes with port wine added). That said, many like this type of stuff so I'm guessing  it has its place. 

My personal read on those: 
Four Roses Small batch Limited: I had the 2015 and was very impressed, and I'm not usually a 4R fan. That said every year is a different blend of recipes/ages so haven't tried this yet. 
Difficulty to Obtain: Very Rare

Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon: I have a bottle of 2015 and 2016 open at the house. Solid but unspectacular. Just picked up a bottle of the 2017 from my local guy about an hour ago but I'm giving it to my buddy who's first born is due in a few days. He'll likely keep it sealed so I can't comment yet. IMO Old Forrester 1920 is readily available at 70 bucks and is better. Arguably one of the tastiest bottles around. 

George T Stagg: An anchor of the Buffalo Trace antique collection, this is an annual dynamo of a bottle. I've not tasted 2017 yet but 2014-2016 have been fantastic. Not for the faint of heart. 130ish proof and unfiltered. Considering asking my guy for this bottle this year instead of my usual William Larue Weller bottle (Have a 2015 and 2016 WLW already open but no Stagg). 

William Larue Weller: The other BTAC anchor, this is arguably my favorite bottle every year. Essentially uncut/unfiltered 12yr "Pappy". Hot (130pf) but delicious. I go after one or two every year but may change it up and get a stagg this year. Haven't tasted the 2017 WLW yet. 

Redemption 10yr Bourbon: MGP Sourced which isn't a bad thing. Love that it's Age stated and barrel proof but haven't tried it. For $100, I'm guessing I'd rather go after an Old Scout Barrel Proof (also MGP bourbon) bottle if I can find it.. usually cheaper. 
Difficulty to Obtain: No idea? 

Parkers Heritage 11 year: Their annual "limited" release. I've had the "Wheated Bourbon" (2015 Release) that was great. Last year's release was a 20+ year old bourbon IIRC. Haven't tried this but was offered a bottle at retail and turned it down. 
Difficulty to Obtain: Rare

Woodford Masters Collection Cherry Smoked Barley: Woodford's master collection has largely been overpriced and underperforming IMO. I've not tried this one but tried a few of last year's releases and all were... eh. I'm not a big fan of finished crap imparting false sweetness/flavors. There's a reason these often sit on shelves. 
Difficulty to Obtain: Moderate

Michters 25: They love their insane releases over at Michters. Riding on the rep of the old 20yr stocks from a few years back that were old Stitzel Weller Bottles... Michters continues to drop these uber-premium releases because the market will support it (see Celebration's release last year). $800? Cmon.... :lol:

Eagle Rare 17yr: Also from the BTAC, I've tried 2015 and 16 bottles of this but not this year's. ER17 is incredibly smooth but I dislike that it's not released at Barrel Proof like many of the other BTAC. If you can get a bottle at retail I'd jump on it. Good luck. At secondary IMO it's not worth it. 

making my daily rounds of picking up some trace

asked the abc guy for weller 12 he laughed and started speaking some thick accent

I guess its much harder to find than I expected

oh well back to stockpiling trace

he did mention they had angel envy 11 and said it was rare for them to have

making my daily rounds of picking up some trace

asked the abc guy for weller 12 he laughed and started speaking some thick accent

I guess its much harder to find than I expected

oh well back to stockpiling trace

he did mention they had angel envy 11 and said it was rare for them to have
Does your regular place (abc guy) have Weller Antique 107? If so, and you have not tried, I recommend. Here in SE Michigan, I can get Buffalo Trace by the truck load. Seems to be everywhere. But I have yet to EVER see a Weller 12 yr. Anyhow, at least here, 107 is just about same price as Trace.

Does your regular place (abc guy) have Weller Antique 107? If so, and you have not tried, I recommend. Here in SE Michigan, I can get Buffalo Trace by the truck load. Seems to be everywhere. But I have yet to EVER see a Weller 12 yr. Anyhow, at least here, 107 is just about same price as Trace.
ill check. I didn't see anything with Weller on it

I was browsing online and see people selling weller12 for $120+ so its definitely rare

My personal read on those: 
Four Roses Small batch Limited: I had the 2015 and was very impressed, and I'm not usually a 4R fan. That said every year is a different blend of recipes/ages so haven't tried this yet. 

Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon: I have a bottle of 2015 and 2016 open at the house. Solid but unspectacular. Just picked up a bottle of the 2017 from my local guy about an hour ago but I'm giving it to my buddy who's first born is due in a few days. He'll likely keep it sealed so I can't comment yet. IMO Old Forrester 1920 is readily available at 70 bucks and is better. Arguably one of the tastiest bottles around. 

George T Stagg: An anchor of the Buffalo Trace antique collection, this is an annual dynamo of a bottle. I've not tasted 2017 yet but 2014-2016 have been fantastic. Not for the faint of heart. 130ish proof and unfiltered. Considering asking my guy for this bottle this year instead of my usual William Larue Weller bottle (Have a 2015 and 2016 WLW already open but no Stagg). 

William Larue Weller: The other BTAC anchor, this is arguably my favorite bottle every year. Essentially uncut/unfiltered 12yr "Pappy". Hot (130pf) but delicious. I go after one or two every year but may change it up and get a stagg this year. Haven't tasted the 2017 WLW yet. 

Redemption 10yr Bourbon: MGP Sourced which isn't a bad thing. Love that it's Age stated and barrel proof but haven't tried it. For $100, I'm guessing I'd rather go after an Old Scout Barrel Proof (also MGP bourbon) bottle if I can find it.. usually cheaper. 
Difficulty to Obtain: No idea? 

Parkers Heritage 11 year: Their annual "limited" release. I've had the "Wheated Bourbon" (2015 Release) that was great. Last year's release was a 20+ year old bourbon IIRC. Haven't tried this but was offered a bottle at retail and turned it down. 
Difficulty to Obtain: Rare

Woodford Masters Collection Cherry Smoked Barley: Woodford's master collection has largely been overpriced and underperforming IMO. I've not tried this one but tried a few of last year's releases and all were... eh. I'm not a big fan of finished crap imparting false sweetness/flavors. There's a reason these often sit on shelves. 
Difficulty to Obtain: Moderate

Michters 25: They love their insane releases over at Michters. Riding on the rep of the old 20yr stocks from a few years back that were old Stitzel Weller Bottles... Michters continues to drop these uber-premium releases because the market will support it (see Celebration's release last year). $800? Cmon.... :lol:

Eagle Rare 17yr: Also from the BTAC, I've tried 2015 and 16 bottles of this but not this year's. ER17 is incredibly smooth but I dislike that it's not released at Barrel Proof like many of the other BTAC. If you can get a bottle at retail I'd jump on it. Good luck. At secondary IMO it's not worth it. 

I want to party with this guy 

Local liquor store ha s the weller 12 but wouldn't that Elle me the price over the phone.  how much is too much for this?
Secondary market is $100ish on this bottle. Retail is generally around 40ish but anything $60 and below should be considered a good value given scarcity. It won't be there for long so don't delay if you want it. 

I want to party with this guy 
:lol:   I'm kinda an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I'm not afraid to break out good whiskey when freinds are by.

@sbonomo stayed at my place one night before BBQfest and I had him fairly drunk in no time on Van Winkle 12yr, William Larue Weller (we actually finished off the end of one bottle and popped another)... and a few other goodies. :banned:   I figure i've got well over a hundred bottles of bourbon at the house at this point. 

:lol:   I'm kinda an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I'm not afraid to break out good whiskey when freinds are by.

@sbonomo stayed at my place one night before BBQfest and I had him fairly drunk in no time on Van Winkle 12yr, William Larue Weller (we actually finished off the end of one bottle and popped another)... and a few other goodies. :banned:   I figure i've got well over a hundred bottles of bourbon at the house at this point. 
I can attest to this!!!!

Secondary market is $100ish on this bottle. Retail is generally around 40ish but anything $60 and below should be considered a good value given scarcity. It won't be there for long so don't delay if you want it. 
turns out its Weller Special Reserve they have for $99

have you tried this one?  Worth getting something like this over blantons?

I'm sure states have different price points....but the Weller Special Reserve sells for $29 at one of my regular stores. The Weller Antique 107 is priced the same. I agree with Megla...run away. They are hosing people on the Weller mystique!

:goodposting:   What they said. Weller Special reserve is a smooth drinker but NOTHING fancy and relatively common. Sucks that they misrepresented over the phone. Lot of places are tired of calls about the limited stuff though. 

Just hooked up a buddy who was looking for a sub $150 bottle as a special gift for an uncle who lost his son to a fire (firefighter). My suggestion was Blantons Straight From the Barrell (after getting a bit more detail about the guy). Was able to help him source one locally for $110 through a buddy who had a few sitting around. Very fair price below secondary on a bottle the guy will fawn over. My buddy is very happy. 

Just opened a bottle of Angels Envy. Pretty hard to find in Oklahoma. 80$ seems steep as well. 

I like it a lot. For The price I would just go with Blantons tho. 

Wanted Eagle Rare but it seems to have gone extinct around here. As have Buffalo Trace.  :kicksrock:

Just opened a bottle of Angels Envy. Pretty hard to find in Oklahoma. 80$ seems steep as well. 

I like it a lot. For The price I would just go with Blantons tho. 

Wanted Eagle Rare but it seems to have gone extinct around here. As have Buffalo Trace.  :kicksrock:
Did you get the AA rye or bourbon? The rye is waaaaay better than the bourbon, IMO.

Have not but it's a blended product that's being pimped as limited. I don't like regular BH (too thin) and I'm not a huge fan of finished whiskies let alone ones that are blended (canadian and kentucky ryes with port wine added). That said, many like this type of stuff so I'm guessing  it has its place. 
Basil is an interesting "bourbon"  more like a rye, but not really one.  I don't seak it, but don't turn it down either.

Got my text from my liquor rep buddy that Weller 12 was hitting shelves here locally last Friday. Sadly I was in San Francisco on business so couldn't make the usual rounds trying to scoop off shelves.

Thankfully the years of networking helped and got calls yesterday from one store (750ml for $35) and today (1.75L for $50). Picked both up today. The latter shop is the one that got me a Birthday Bourbon for my buddy, and he said he's going to try to hold me a George T Stagg or William Larue Weller again this year. 

Not really.

I had some friends over last week who are bourbons snobs.   I bought a bottle of Elijah Craig Reserve for around 40.00 and gave that to them without telling them what it was.  They loved it!  They were guessing it was 70-100 dollar bourbon.

HENRY MCKENNA SINGLE BARREL Price: $34 - Really tasty Stuff. Among my favorite value bottles 

OLD MEDLEY Price: $64 - Overpriced IMO. 

David Nicholson Price: $35 - Have heard good things here but haven't tried 
My thoughts above. 

Not really.

I had some friends over last week who are bourbons snobs.   I bought a bottle of Elijah Craig Reserve for around 40.00 and gave that to them without telling them what it was.  They loved it!  They were guessing it was 70-100 dollar bourbon.
Elijah Craig Small batch is a very good value bourbon. Used to be age stated at 12yrs and cost $20-25. Still very good. If you can find the barrel proof 12yr versions at $55-70 they're great buys. 

Hello friends... Been traveling a lot for work, and finding some little spots that have some of my favorites, one of which is Widow Jane. Anyone tried that yet, if its been mentioned earlier my bad, but Im not scrolling back through all the pages.

Users who are viewing this thread