Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

College Admissions Questions

On 12/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, brettdj said:

May as well throw my story in.

Daughter is looking for vet school.  So far she is accepted to Mississippi State, Mizzou, and Kansas State.  Still waiting for Purdue, Maryland and St. Georges.

She still needs to apply to the early Vet programs and that will make the final decisions.  Miss St, KSU and Mizzou have given scholarships to keep the out of state tuition down to in-state levels.

She has interview with Miss St next week.  I think this is the early Vet program.  She was happily surprised

• Like 3

14 hours ago, The_Man said:

Holy hell, Duke informed college counselors today that they’re up 10k applications this year to 49,500. And that means they’ll be admitting 4.5 to 5% of Regular Decision applicants 

Hey, my kid graduates from there in May, thus opening up an extra slot. She's always been willing to do her part.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

Purdue ✔️

TBD... Georgia Tech, UC Berkley, NC State, Wisconsin

3 for 3...Just got the Purdue notice today.  It came with a $10K per year Presidential Scholarship.  Already a good value for out of state.  This is one of my favorites and the $$$ makes it even more so, but GT is still on top my son's list.  Should hear on that on Jan. 23rd, I believe.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

Purdue ✔️

3 for 3...Just got the Purdue notice today.  It came with a $10K per year Presidential Scholarship.  Already a good value for out of state.  This is one of my favorites and the $$$ makes it even more so, but GT is still on top my son's list.  Should hear on that on Jan. 23rd, I believe.

Congrats, keep 'em coming Galileo Jr.!

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

Purdue ✔️

Congrats to your boy!! I really liked Purdue a ton for my son. He really liked the campus and the engineering area (which was huge). Also, we ate at a fantastic (and super authentic) Sichuan restaurant there which floored me. Apparently West Lafayette has the biggest Asian population in the state. 

Edit:  Posted previously, but linking again for some GT hype!: https://youtu.be/98nNpzE6gIs

Edited by bigbottom

On 12/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, brettdj said:

May as well throw my story in.

Daughter is looking for vet school.  So far she is accepted to Mississippi State, Mizzou, and Kansas State.  Still waiting for Purdue, Maryland and St. Georges.

She still needs to apply to the early Vet programs and that will make the final decisions.  Miss St, KSU and Mizzou have given scholarships to keep the out of state tuition down to in-state levels.

Purdue acceptance received.

• Like 8

College Board announcing today that it's eliminating subject tests and the essay. This is being done for 2 reasons - one, to make it more easy to compete with the ACT in delivering at-home online SATs. And two, to drive up the number of people taking AP exams (which the College Board also owns) since kids can no longer use Subject tests to distinguish themselves 

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, The_Man said:

College Board announcing today that it's eliminating subject tests and the essay. This is being done for 2 reasons - one, to make it more easy to compete with the ACT in delivering at-home online SATs. And two, to drive up the number of people taking AP exams (which the College Board also owns) since kids can no longer use Subject tests to distinguish themselves 

SAT Subject Tests blow. Glad to see this happening. 

Daughter just got her second acceptance, this one to St. Mary's.  Turns out she was accepted back on the 13th, but they have her email wrong so she didn't get it.  I get an email today from them referencing "being admitted with Presidential distinction...." and asked her what was up, and she logged into the portal and saw her acceptance there.  They threw in $30K annually, which isn't quite half of their $70K total cost of attendance. But at least it puts it in the realm of possibilities, especially if we can find any more scholarships or aid.

I also figured out yesterday that my ex screwed up on the FAFSA, despite me telling her repeatedly what she needed to do.  She got on the phone with them yesterday and got it sorted out, but super annoyed that it could potentially negatively impact things for my daughter.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SFBayDuck said:

Daughter just got her second acceptance, this one to St. Mary's.  Turns out she was accepted back on the 13th, but they have her email wrong so she didn't get it.  I get an email today from them referencing "being admitted with Presidential distinction...." and asked her what was up, and she logged into the portal and saw her acceptance there.  They threw in $30K annually, which isn't quite half of their $70K total cost of attendance. But at least it puts it in the realm of possibilities, especially if we can find any more scholarships or aid.

I also figured out yesterday that my ex screwed up on the FAFSA, despite me telling her repeatedly what she needed to do.  She got on the phone with them yesterday and got it sorted out, but super annoyed that it could potentially negatively impact things for my daughter.

Awesome news on St. Mary’s and the money. $30k annually is HUGE!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Awesome news on St. Mary’s and the money. $30k annually is HUGE!

Thanks!  It's in the top tier of her choices as well, so glad for her to have one in hand that is high on her list.  

And $30K is pretty huge.  Unfortunately, $70K is really huge!

2 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

Thanks!  It's in the top tier of her choices as well, so glad for her to have one in hand that is high on her list.  

And $30K is pretty huge.  Unfortunately, $70K is really huge!

Nearly identical to our situation with Case Western Reserve...congratulations on the acceptance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =Smackdown= said:

If my son gets accepted to GT this will be the first text I send him. lol

Thx for sharing.

Oh, we've already watched it a few times!  GT is scheduled for this week, Jan 23rd as notification date.  

Unfortunately, I just found out Berkley's notifications aren't until March sometime...sort of takes the wind out of the sails.

Edited by Galileo
  • Like 1

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

Purdue ✔️

NC State ✔️

Georgia Tech 

TBD... UC Berkley, Wisconsin

A little disappointment in the Galilei household.  Accepted to NC State, but rejected from Georgia Tech.  I know it is competitive, but I am somewhat surprised.  4.4 GPA, 34 ACT, Football, Basketball, Robotics, National Honor Society, 12 AP courses taken with all 4s/5s on exams so far... Oh well, opportunities are available elsewhere.  Purdue is quickly rising up the charts...

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

A little disappointment in the Galilei household.  Accepted to NC State, but rejected from Georgia Tech.  I know it is competitive, but I am somewhat surprised.  4.4 GPA, 34 ACT, Football, Basketball, Robotics, National Honor Society, 12 AP courses taken with all 4s/5s on exams so far... Oh well, opportunities are available elsewhere.  Purdue is quickly rising up the charts...

@bigbottom, who is in FBG jail asked me to pass on his thoughts:

"So sorry to hear about GT. I know from our experience last year that it’s just become insanely competitive at that school. So much so that the decisions seem almost arbitrary (particularly so given your son’s incredible qualifications). The great news is that your son already has a lot of fantastic opportunities with hopefully more to come. It’s a super stressful process to be sure, but I know you’re proud of his already stellar success. Please keep us posted on his decision-making!"

Edited by scorchy
ETA: sorry from me as well, obviously.
  • Like 1

Thanks Scorchy/Bigbottom.  And absolutely I am proud as hell of him.  The GT decision is a bummer, but doesn’t define my view of him or his accomplishments.   He will survive and thrive elsewhere.  We do have good options in front of us.

ETA ... I probably jinxed him by ordering a GT t-shirt.  I was going to surprise him with it when he got accepted.  No longer a good idea...

Edited by Galileo
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, Galileo said:

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

Purdue ✔️

NC State ✔️

Georgia Tech 

TBD... UC Berkley, Wisconsin

What is he planning to study?

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

My kid also got rejected from Georgia Tech.  Still hasn't gotten in anywhere (has only heard back from two places so far).  

And @Galileo - I bought my kid a surprise Berkeley hat that I'll probably end up donating to charity when he gets rejected.  You are not alone.

My son was also rejected from GT. Acceptance rate less than 6% of applicants this year we’ve heard.

Accepted to 3 so far - waiting on about 10 more.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Nuclear Engineering

You've said this before. And while I stand in awe of it, it also cracks me up as being totally fabricated. (I don't think you're fabricating...just a profession costanza would say he does when meets the available girl)

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

You've said this before. And while I stand in awe of it, it also cracks me up as being totally fabricated. (I don't think you're fabricating...just a profession costanza would say he does when meets the available girl)

The reactor was angry that day, my friends.  Like an old man trying to send soup back in a deli...

• Laughing 3

9 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

My kid also got rejected from Georgia Tech.  Still hasn't gotten in anywhere (has only heard back from two places so far).  

And @Galileo - I bought my kid a surprise Berkeley hat that I'll probably end up donating to charity when he gets rejected.  You are not alone.

I'm sure he'll get in somewhere great. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

For Nuke-E, I'd do Wisconsin over Cal.  If he can handle the cold and booze. 

Wisconsin is sort of towards the bottom of his list.  He can handle the cold as we live in Northeast Ohio, but he doesn't necessarily want it.  He does like the setting of Wisconsin nestled among the lakes.  He has had Berkley at #2 on his list for some time.  I think he is mostly in love with the name recognition more than anything else.  The GT rejection though has given him diminished hopes of a Berkley acceptance.  TBH, we have never even been to California.  Mom isn't very keen on him going that far either, but she could probably adjust if it were the right fit.  I am not convinced it is a good fit for him, and I think Berkley may be a stretch for us financially anyway.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, Galileo said:

Ohio State ✔️

Case Western Reserve ✔️ 

Purdue ✔️

My daughter was also recently accepted to Purdue School of Engineering. MIT is her #1, but also realizes it is the longest of long shots, but she did get a few recommendation letters from some influential MIT alumni that can't hurt. We'll see.

So, I'm thinking it will be Purdue for her, which is great as she loves the campus and is close to home; both important to her. I was curious about the $10k scholarship you received. Did that just come with the acceptance letter? We were on a webinar with Purdue admissions last night and they made is sound like scholarships weren't being offered until later in February/March. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ericttspikes said:

My daughter was also recently accepted to Purdue School of Engineering. MIT is her #1, but also realizes it is the longest of long shots, but she did get a few recommendation letters from some influential MIT alumni that can't hurt. We'll see.

So, I'm thinking it will be Purdue for her, which is great as she loves the campus and is close to home; both important to her. I was curious about the $10k scholarship you received. Did that just come with the acceptance letter? We were on a webinar with Purdue admissions last night and they made is sound like scholarships weren't being offered until later in February/March. 

They have a couple merit based scholarships that are awarded with admissions.  My son's is the "Presidential" scholarship.  It seems they have another at a higher level of $16k per year called a "Trustee" scholarship.  Both of these I think are auto apply based on eligibility with admission.  There are other scholarships as well with later application deadlines and award dates.  Check out the scholarship page of their web site for more details... https://www.admissions.purdue.edu/costsandfinaid/freshman.php?_ga=2.209735061.1469393963.1611628091-98179835.1611513626

• Thanks 1

8th grade Floppinho takes the SHSAT tomorrow.... The test that's the SOLE method for admittance to NYCs elite few public HSs like Stuyvesant and Bronx Science.

I've mentioned it before, but the mayor and schools chancellor used the pandemic to essentially eliminate NYCs screens for other top public schools, turning them basically into lotteries for admissions. The top few of those were typically operating at around 4-5% admittance rate or less. One of them seemed like a great fit for the kid, but with anybody with an 85 and over getting equal shot, his three years working hard to get 98s and 99s feel wasted. So disappointed that the clearly laid out criteria and rubrics he's been working towards all through Jr High have been tossed last minute over politics. We find out about private schools on Feb 26th. 

Eta...they removed ALL screens for NYCs middle school admissions, including to very specialized schools like Ballet Tech, Professional Performing Arts School, and The Special Music School (where floppinho goes). It's insane.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

8th grade Floppinho takes the SHSAT tomorrow.... The test that's the SOLE method for admittance to NYCs elite few public HSs like Stuyvesant and Bronx Science.

I've mentioned it before, but the mayor and schools chancellor used the pandemic to essentially eliminate NYCs screens for other top public schools, turning them basically into lotteries for admissions. The top few of those were typically operating at around 4-5% admittance rate or less. One of them seemed like a great fit for the kid, but with anybody with an 85 and over getting equal shot, his three years working hard to get 98s and 99s feel wasted. So disappointed that the clearly laid out criteria and rubrics he's been working towards all through Jr High have been tossed last minute over politics. We find out about private schools on Feb 26th. 

Eta...they removed ALL screens for NYCs middle school admissions, including to very specialized schools like Ballet Tech, Professional Performing Arts School, and The Special Music School (where floppinho goes). It's insane.

Heartbreaking and depressing to hear this, Flop. Ashamed to admit it but I'm so glad my daughter, who graduates from college in May, no longer is impacted by stuff like this. I'd love to hear what the teachers of these elite schools think about the reduction/elimination of admissions standards.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fear The Turtle said:

Heartbreaking and depressing to hear this, Flop. Ashamed to admit it but I'm so glad my daughter, who graduates from college in May, no longer is impacted by stuff like this. I'd love to hear what the teachers of these elite schools think about the reduction/elimination of admissions standards.

How the schools and teachers are supposed to respond hasn't even been addressed once.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:05 PM, Bull Dozier said:

Son #2, my youngest, is starting to get his acceptance letters.  He's more studious than his older siblings so he has applied to a slightly higher caliber of schools (Marquette, St. Thomas (St. Paul, MN), Wisconsin-Madison, University of Minnesota).  He's heard back from the two private schools already.  It's a little disheartening to see an acceptance letter, along with scholarship grants higher than I've ever paid for a car, yet the total cost out of pocket is still ~$30k.

Looks like #2 is leaning towards St Thomas (St. Paul).  Marquette's financial package just wasn't enough to make it realistic.  U of M accepted, but no financial offer yet.  Still waiting to hear back from U of W.

Anyone have experience with work study?  My two older kids did not qualify, so I'm wondering if that is guaranteed work, or not necessarily?

My oldest got accepted into the Honors College at Oregon.  I think that's where he'll end up going, ,but I'd like to take him up to see Western Washington U and U of Puget Sound first before making a decision.  Kinda hard to get a feel for what college life is like right now with Covid, but we can at least take a look.  Bellingham, WA is a pretty neat little town.  Very pretty area.  

But if he chooses Oregon, I'll be exhilarated.  Finally have a good reason to wear all that gear. ;)

• Like 9
  • Love 2

On 1/15/2021 at 7:54 AM, brettdj said:

She has interview with Miss St next week.  I think this is the early Vet program.  She was happily surprised

She is accepted into the Early Veterinarian program.  She is on her way to slightly less college stress.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

My oldest got accepted into the Honors College at Oregon.  I think that's where he'll end up going, ,but I'd like to take him up to see Western Washington U and U of Puget Sound first before making a decision.  Kinda hard to get a feel for what college life is like right now with Covid, but we can at least take a look.  Bellingham, WA is a pretty neat little town.  Very pretty area.  

But if he chooses Oregon, I'll be exhilarated.  Finally have a good reason to wear all that gear. ;)

WWU alum and Bham resident here. I wish my daughter would go to Western, but understand why not. Looks like UW it is for her. 

• Like 2

Again, super bummed to hear the news for our FFA GT engineering applicants. Feels like it’s MIT Jr. in terms of admissions. Not sure if any of you are thinking about this, but one worry I had (have) for my son is that he’ll find out that engineering isn’t for him and want to switch majors.  The concern with GT for us was that engineering and computer science majors make up something like 76% of the undergraduate student body. So I worried that if he went there and ultimately decided he wanted to switch to a non-STEM major, he wouldn’t have the same level of opportunity. That was what concerned me about GT - ultimately, he didn’t get in so we didn’t have to confront the issue (GT was by far the best engineering program of any school to which he applied), but all things considered, we preferred a school for him that wasn’t so engineering dominant.

Edited by bigbottom

18 hours ago, General Malaise said:

That’s awesome, congrats to your kiddo!  Those honors college programs are really cool, particularly because you also get the benefits of a big university environment. Do they have specific honors college dorms at Oregon. One of my best friends from college lives in Bend and both his boys went to Oregon (oldest just graduated) and absolutely love it. Good luck on the rest of the process!

17 hours ago, brettdj said:

She is accepted into the Early Veterinarian program.  She is on her way to slightly less college stress.

Congrats!  Both scholarship money and program acceptance - that’s fantastic.  Do vets have to go to grad school as well for their license?

Edited by bigbottom

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

Congrats!  Both scholarship money and program acceptance - that’s fantastic.  Do vets have to go to grad school as well for their license?

Very cool to see all these kids lining up their futures.  Proud to know you guys and listen to your stories for many years.

Best of luck to all those young'uns heading off to college in the fall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbottom said:

Again, super bummed to hear the news for our FFA GT engineering applicants. Feels like it’s MIT Jr. in terms of admissions. Not sure if any of you are thinking about this, but one worry I had (have) for my son is that he’ll find out that engineering isn’t for him and want to switch majors.  The concern with GT for us was that engineering and computer science majors make up something like 76% of the undergraduate student body. So I worried that if he went there and ultimately decided he wanted to switch to a non-STEM major, he wouldn’t have the same level of opportunity. That was what concerned me about GT - ultimately, he didn’t get in so we didn’t have to confront the issue (GT was by far the best engineering program of any school to which he applied), but all things considered, we preferred a school for him that wasn’t so engineering dominant.

I've shared similar concerns and even talked about this with my son as being a selection factor.  In the end, I wasn't overly concerned about GT' narrow focus.  I would be absolutely shuked if my son shifted out of a STEM related major.  He is a math/science guy through and through.  I certainly could see the possibility of him choosing a different engineering path perhaps.  Most of his other choices do have greater versatility than GT though so we should be covered in that unlikely scenario.  Worst case scenario, we could enter the transfer portal...lol.

• Like 1

Some crappy drama going on in the inalittlecoat family.  My kid was supposed to hear from both of his safety schools yesterday but they both said they didn’t get his scores from the College Board.  Of course the College Board sent them, but he applied to college under his current name and the scores were in his former name and even though the former name did appear elsewhere on his application, somehow the admissions offices didn’t put it together.  So now my ex wife is freaking out and my kid is acting like he doesn’t think he’s getting into any college at all.  This kid is insanely smart for whatever that’s worth.

Personally I feel like they’re both seriously overreacting but it’s been a crappy 24 hours on that front.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Some crappy drama going on in the inalittlecoat family.  My kid was supposed to hear from both of his safety schools yesterday but they both said they didn’t get his scores from the College Board.  Of course the College Board sent them, but he applied to college under his current name and the scores were in his former name and even though the former name did appear elsewhere on his application, somehow the admissions offices didn’t put it together.  So now my ex wife is freaking out and my kid is acting like he doesn’t think he’s getting into any college at all.  This kid is insanely smart for whatever that’s worth.

Personally I feel like they’re both seriously overreacting but it’s been a crappy 24 hours on that front.

Bummer.  I hope everything works out.  I will likely be facing issues like this with #2 next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:
2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

gotta believe it will work out - stay strong for them

still crappy situation though

Yeah...this sounds like an obvious logistical issue that your done will likely have to keep dealing with for a bit. Seems like some time on the phone would clear it up.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:17 PM, Bull Dozier said:

Looks like #2 is leaning towards St Thomas (St. Paul).  Marquette's financial package just wasn't enough to make it realistic.  U of M accepted, but no financial offer yet.  Still waiting to hear back from U of W.

Anyone have experience with work study?  My two older kids did not qualify, so I'm wondering if that is guaranteed work, or not necessarily?

Its not guaranteed, however, schools are only budgeted a certain amount of work study money from the feds.  Therefore, they usually don't want to overextend it.  That being said, your child needs to go get a job on campus.  Some campuses give preference for students with work study, while others give no preference.