What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is There a Penalty on Almost Every Punt Return? (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a penalty on every punt return?  Unless there is a fair catch, there is always a penalty.  And most of them are no brainers and obvious block in the backs. Almost like they are coached to "take the chance" the refs don't see it so they can break a big one. I mean guys are reading the players name on thee back of the jersey and just blowing them up.  

Hyped up young players, trying to make a play, make a good block, inexperienced and jacked up.

Buddy Ryan had it right, try and block every kick, and call a fair catch.

There is an argument out there that the receiving team should always fair catch at the NFL level.  Apparently stats show that the NET yards gained on punt returns over the course of a season is very small (I don't know where this comes from).  Plus returning it brings in a turnover scenario, and the penalties hurt field position more than the returns help it.

I don't know, but it does seems plausible.

There's either a penalty or some returned catching a ball inside his own 5-10 and then gets tackled immediately instead of just letting it sail into the endzone.  I'm not sure what special teams coaches do but it isn't coaching.

Well I was glad Tyler Ervin returned that punt last week inside the 10 and set up a score, and when Will Fuller returned the punt for a TD against the Titans.... but you guys make good points. The blocks in the back and guys handling punts inside the 10 yard line drive me nuts. 

Well open field tackling and open field blocking are two of the hardest thing you can do in football. Couple that with the fact that players as a whole are always trying to get a competitive advantage, usually by breaking the rules or getting very close to breaking them, and you have a recipe for lots of penalties

There's either a penalty or some returned catching a ball inside his own 5-10 and then gets tackled immediately instead of just letting it sail into the endzone.  I'm not sure what special teams coaches do but it isn't coaching.
I'm convinced that a high percentage of special teams players are not very intelligent.   :shrug:

Hyped up young players, trying to make a play, make a good block, inexperienced and jacked up.

Buddy Ryan had it right, try and block every kick, and call a fair catch.
It's rare that you get to say this about the very first reply, but ... /thread.

These guys are 21-23 year olds, late-rounders and UDFAs, just trying to hang on the back end of 53-man rosters and make a livelihood in the NFL meat grinder. In their minds the chance of a big play that grabs the coaches' eyes outweighs the chance of getting flagged.

Users who are viewing this thread