What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2017 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Parade of Champions Down Broad Street! (8 Viewers)

sporthenry said:
Elliot has 884 carries over the past 3-years.  In order to keep that o-line going to have to shell out big bucks.  
Plus Elliot has a very physical running style. There's a reason teams rarely waste high picks on running backs anymore. With his overuse plus his contact-seeking running style, I don't think he's going to be a huge factor for very long.  And I'd take Wentz over Prescott every day of the week.  He has the league's best line, a top 3 running back, and a top 5 wide receiver. It would be pretty hard not to succeed in that situation. I am very impressed with his composure and the way he carries himself in general. But I think he's being way over hyped as a quarterback.

It's hard to argue against DAL for the next few years....

BUT...

I dont' think Prescott is as good as Wentz..

Their O-Line starts to hit the FA market in 18. They'll have to wrap them up.

Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley don't scare me.

Dez Bryant, IMO....isn't top tier anymore.  He's still very dangerous though.

Jason Witten is at the end. 

That being said....we're going to need a bit of Jerry Jones panache to screw this team up for the next couple of years. 

Damn that Jerry Jones' kid.  I wish now he had explosive diarreha when it was time for them to make their pick in 14 and while he was in bathroom....they  took Manziel instead of Martin. 

georg013 said:
I have no horse in this race but the poster above is really reaching. The Dallas Cowboys are that far ahead of you and that is without Jaylon Smith playing a down. They will address the WR position this offseason and look out. The division runs through Dallas. Anyone without rose colored glasses can see that. 
You have them winning 13 games before this year starting? Of course not, no one did. 

The only predictable part of this game is that NE will be good. It ends after that. 

You have them winning 13 games before this year starting? Of course not, no one did. 

The only predictable part of this game is that NE will be good. It ends after that. 
Not wo sure there...a prediction that Cleveland will suck seems to be on as firm a predictive footing as NE success, and has held for even longer.  (Since BB left Cleveland, in fact...is this the next great sports curse?)

georg013 said:
I have no horse in this race but the poster above is really reaching. The Dallas Cowboys are that far ahead of you and that is without Jaylon Smith playing a down. They will address the WR position this offseason and look out. The division runs through Dallas. Anyone without rose colored glasses can see that. 
They are, for at least the next two years.  Anybody can narrow the gap in 3 years though - not saying they will, it'll take good drafting and hitting on most draft picks, instead of missing at the clip they have been lately.

They are, for at least the next two years.  Anybody can narrow the gap in 3 years though - not saying they will, it'll take good drafting and hitting on most draft picks, instead of missing at the clip they have been lately.
The gap can be narrowed in one year. Their D is nothing special in any area.  You can also expect tons of coaches to depart in the next couple years too. 

Eagles 2017 opponents we got the AFC west next year which should be interesting. We get Derrick Carr at home. Jared Goff vs Carson Wentz in LA, KC and Sea both away and I still stand that KC is louder then Sea having been to both in recent yrs and we're up in the air where we meet the Chargers They might move to LA with the Rams or somewhere else but we most likely won't play in San Diego next year which is a shame as I really wanted to go to SD this year for that game. We got SF at home with no Chip, Chicago at Home, our usual Div games H/A. Interesting match up with Den (Will Paxton Lynch be starting?), 'Zona at home, and Carolina away.  

Home
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Arizona
San Francisco
Denver
Oakland
Chicago

Away
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Los Angeles
Seattle
Kansas City
San Diego
Carolina

The gap can be narrowed in one year. Their D is nothing special in any area.  You can also expect tons of coaches to depart in the next couple years too. 
Ok, we can narrow the gap in a year, but I don't think we can close it.  They will be overall better then us next year.  I think we're headed the right direction, but they have a great situation.  And realistically, as long as they try to keep that OL replenished regularly, they'll be fine for the next 5 years, barring major regression from Dak.

renesauz said:
We lost how many one score games? Faced how many teams in a row coming off of a bye? LOst how many of those to 10 win playoff teams? Philly played Dallas very tough in the first matchup, and had a chance to win. Assuming we would have been blown out yesterday is silliness. Zeke out helped, but that line played. Dak sat down early, but even a rusty Romo isn't much of a downgrade, if any. And the Eagles played short-handed as well.

The Eagles are a heck of a lot closer than you're giving them credit for here. Also not being mentioned is that Howie has already locked up virtually EVERY SINGLE player of significance...we aren't losing much, if anything. There's a reason the Eagles are short on cap space...but unlike most teams in that situation, it's actually a damn GOOD reason.

If Wentz corrects the mechanical issues in the off-season, and we have no reason to believe he can't/won't, there's no reason why this Eagles team can't compete for the division as soon as next year. Dallas will be the favorite for sure, but the Eagles will be more than good enough to make them work hard for it.
Look I think we're better than a 7-9 team for sure.  And I'm all for saying we will improve and Dallas will regress.  But the amount it would take on BOTH ends, makes the probabilities very small.  Dallas will be as good or better next year.  I really don't see how you can see them as anything less than a 12 win team.  And yes we are better than 7-9... heck maybe we're an 8 or 9 win team.  Maybe things go great this offseason and we go up to a 9 or 10 win team, but sproles is older, mathews will be gone, and our great special teams/turnover ratio is likely to be replicated.   I think EVEN if you give us all of the benefits of the doubt (which is unlikely to transpire), that STILL puts us at or below Dallas.

I will be hoping for an epic Dallas collapse but the chances of us winning the div next year aren't that great.  I hope it happens, but I am very hopeful and optimistic that we can win 9 or 10 games next year.  I'm not optimistic that Dallas will drop down from 13/14 wins to 9/10 by losing nobody and adding more talent. 

We need some playmakers on offense in this division in a very very bad way.

Ok, we can narrow the gap in a year, but I don't think we can close it.  They will be overall better then us next year.  I think we're headed the right direction, but they have a great situation.  And realistically, as long as they try to keep that OL replenished regularly, they'll be fine for the next 5 years, barring major regression from Dak.
Exactly.  We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think we're jumping from 7 to 12 wins next year.  yes Dallas did it, but the stars aligning like they did for them is very rare.  Next year I will be cheering as hard as anyone will for an epic Dallas collapse, but my realistic goal next year is 9 or 10 wins and a wildcard spot.

Lifelong Dallas fan here who has become kind of a closet Philly fan after taking Wentz in a couple of my dynasty leagues. I own Dak in one, too, but I'm not as high on him as I am Wentz when it comes to FF.

If I was Philly's GM, I'd hit offense hard in the draft & FA. I know you need CB help & would address that, as well, but Wentz is a franchise QB so it's imperative you guys don't waste his talent. Not very many QBs have the kind of upside he's got. Strictly speaking offense, WR is job #1, IMO, followed by shoring up the OL & getting a feature back. I'd go after both a high profile WR in FA & also take one high in the draft. And it's the right year to find a feature back without having to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'd likely spend the rest of the draft mainly upgrading OL & CB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly.  We're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we think we're jumping from 7 to 12 wins next year.  yes Dallas did it, but the stars aligning like they did for them is very rare.  Next year I will be cheering as hard as anyone will for an epic Dallas collapse, but my realistic goal next year is 9 or 10 wins and a wildcard spot.
I'm not saying we will but we can. They also can just as easy go from 13 wins to no playoffs next year. Hell, this year alone saw 6 teams with 8 or less wins in 2015 make the playoffs in 2016.  Dallas had only 4 in 2015  

My point is that every year things don't go as planned. That's for crap teams and ones who are just supposed to be good. Dallas doesn't have an elite QB or an elite defense. Those are what keep teams good from year to year. That's why I won't be shocked if they lost the division to any of the other East teams next season. 

I'm not saying we will but we can. They also can just as easy go from 13 wins to no playoffs next year. Hell, this year alone saw 6 teams with 8 or less wins in 2015 make the playoffs in 2016.  Dallas had only 4 in 2015  

My point is that every year things don't go as planned. That's for crap teams and ones who are just supposed to be good. Dallas doesn't have an elite QB or an elite defense. Those are what keep teams good from year to year. That's why I won't be shocked if they lost the division to any of the other East teams next season. 
Yes I agree that things don't go as planned and that anything can happen.  That's why I didn't say its impossible, but I think the chances of us winning the div next year are under 20% so I'd rather have some realistic goals and hopes.  Our attitudes after our start this year was further proof that having unrealistic expectations only causes disappointment.  Doesn't mean I won't cheer for it, but the stars need to majorly align for us to bridge a 7 win gap vs dallas next year.

This is so true.  Look at 3 of the 4 conference championship teams from last year.  Look at the 2 super bowl teams from last year.  Reid goes to KC and they go from a 2 win team to perennial playoff contenders immediately 

I thought the Eagles made some nice moves this past year.  I see a franchise on the upswing, and much quicker than I thought possible after what Kelly left them.  Well done. 

As for Dallas, they fell into some talent, good for them, but they also have a recipe for controversy with the history and personality of some of their guys.  I don't think they hold that thing together for more than another year. Egos, pending free agency, some party boys, I think things may go to their heads.

I am going to watch with interest what the Eagles do with their draft capital. 

hey a new 2017 thread!

I'm not rooting for any teams in the playoffs, just good games.  hoping someone beats the #### out of Dallas. I hope we draft a wr/rb somewhat high and bring back djax.  biggest needs in no particular order are cb, wr, rb.   could always use another pass rusher as well.  be interesting to see how the combine goes. but we have to take a cb and rb/wr with our first 2 picks imo. we are so thin at the skill positions its embarrassing.

I know the eagles need CBs badly, but sign me up for all the Corey Davis :wub:
Caught part of the game today, don't know if I was wowed but his career stats are impressive. Tell me more about him. Besides he and Williams at Clemson who would we want? Read that Ross disappears at times in one review and that scared me about him. 

Will also be interesting to see if any underclassmen declare that weren't expected too that could come into play first couple rounds. Saw Ford for Va Tech declared and projects 2nd round. 

Caught part of the game today, don't know if I was wowed but his career stats are impressive. Tell me more about him. Besides he and Williams at Clemson who would we want? Read that Ross disappears at times in one review and that scared me about him. 

Will also be interesting to see if any underclassmen declare that weren't expected too that could come into play first couple rounds. Saw Ford for Va Tech declared and projects 2nd round. 
Ridley or Stewart from bama?

Yes I agree that things don't go as planned and that anything can happen.  That's why I didn't say its impossible, but I think the chances of us winning the div next year are under 20% so I'd rather have some realistic goals and hopes.  Our attitudes after our start this year was further proof that having unrealistic expectations only causes disappointment.  Doesn't mean I won't cheer for it, but the stars need to majorly align for us to bridge a 7 win gap vs dallas next year.
I'd put the (way too early) odds at more like:

Dallas 35%

Philly 25%

Giants 25%

Skins 15%

As someone else noted, the Cowboys lack an elite QB and an elite defense. Witten seems ready to fall off of a cliff, and a couple injuries to that O-line could crush them. They're still the favorite, and few in here are arguing otherwise. The argument is that that gap isn't really so wide as to make the Eagles a long-shot.

I'd put the (way too early) odds at more like:

Dallas 35%

Philly 25%

Giants 25%

Skins 15%

As someone else noted, the Cowboys lack an elite QB and an elite defense. Witten seems ready to fall off of a cliff, and a couple injuries to that O-line could crush them. They're still the favorite, and few in here are arguing otherwise. The argument is that that gap isn't really so wide as to make the Eagles a long-shot.
Dallas at 35% seems very low.  I think most people would take those betting odds.  Heck, most might bet Dallas straight up to win the div vs the field.  I'd put it at, and expect the opening betting percentages to be around:

Dallas:  43%
Giants:  23%
Eagles:  22%
Redskins: 12%

hey a new 2017 thread!

I'm not rooting for any teams in the playoffs, just good games.  hoping someone beats the #### out of Dallas. I hope we draft a wr/rb somewhat high and bring back djax.  biggest needs in no particular order are cb, wr, rb.   could always use another pass rusher as well.  be interesting to see how the combine goes. but we have to take a cb and rb/wr with our first 2 picks imo. we are so thin at the skill positions its embarrassing.
I think we have too many holes to chase a RB high in the draft.  I like the idea of using one of our 4th rounders on one, or even a third rounder, but OL and CB are more important.  In an ideal world would like to see:

1.  CB
2.  OL
3.  RB/WR
4A.  RB/WR
4B.  BPA
(WR in FA)

I think we have too many holes to chase a RB high in the draft.  I like the idea of using one of our 4th rounders on one, or even a third rounder, but OL and CB are more important.  In an ideal world would like to see:

1.  CB
2.  OL
3.  RB/WR
4A.  RB/WR
4B.  BPA
(WR in FA)
The bolded would apply in normal circumstances but ours isn't the norm at all and very far from it. We are not in a position to disregard playmakers and wait to see if we land a gem in the 4th round.  We HAVE to take ANY playmakers that are available.  Our first 3 picks have to include one RB and one WR and one of these 2 has to start or get significant playing time.  This (IMHO) is not even debatable. 

Away
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Los Angeles
Seattle
Kansas City
San Diego
Carolina
Was thinking about travelling for a game last year but no real good options, next year looks better.

Rams still playing at the Coliseum but could hit Disneyland while in the area.

Who knows what San Diego is going to do at this point.

Hit up some BBQ in KC or buy raincoats in Seattle.

Drive down to Carolina.

Any suggestions for best place to travel for an away game with the family next year?

Obviously we over react this time of year when we make predictions for next season when the playoffs aren't even done for this one. So many things will changed between now and when they line up for week 1. Coaching changes, Free Agents, draft, injuries, etc, the offseason is a strange mistress. 

We will have a more realistic idea of what this team will do (and the division opponents as well) by August. But that's not really fun. So prognosticate away. 

Eagles 19-0 next year!!! Wooooooo!!!

Deamon said:
I don't see how anyone can really say that we are in the hunt with Dallas next year.  They would have won 14 games this year  if they tried against us.  There's almost no reason to see any regression... but even if you somehow see them getting worse, they are a lock for 11 or 12 wins next year.  Can we go from 7 to 12 wins next year?  I highly doubt that.

I optimistically see next years approximate win totals as:

Dallas 11 or 12
Philly 9 or 10
NYG 9
Wash 7
yeah this is off. Dallas has been fortunate avoiding too many debilitating injuries. Their back-up RBs are stellar with A-Mo, but one or 2 injuries on the OL can cost them some games. Am I the only one that remembers the Eagles were up 10 points in the 4th quarter in Dallas?

What do you homers see happening at RB next year in Philly?
Sproles will reprise his role. Smallwood will be back and may get an increased role. Mathews will likely be gone. Beyond that, hard to say until we know what they do in FA and the draft. And I have no idea on those fronts.

Sproles will reprise his role. Smallwood will be back and may get an increased role. Mathews will likely be gone. Beyond that, hard to say until we know what they do in FA and the draft. And I have no idea on those fronts.
yeah, it is a bit of a mystery, especially seeing how each year there are a few RB free agents that can be serviceable. I think Smallwood will have a role, and I am not sure they want to put any of their other younger RBs in a position to have a ton of playing time

Was thinking about travelling for a game last year but no real good options, next year looks better.

Drive down to Carolina.

Any suggestions for best place to travel for an away game with the family next year?
I've been to all the cities on next year's away schedule - a couple for games but mostly for business and/or vacation - and it depends how long you're there for and what else you're looking to do.

If it's just an in-and-out for a weekend I'd lean towards KC. The gameday and stadium experience is every bit as good as Philly (maybe even better  :ph34r: ), the people are great, travel will be way cheaper and quicker than the West Coast options, and of course there's the Reid connection for us. Schedule will be a big factor in terms of weather though - for sure I wouldn't want to book a mid-December road trip there.

If you're OK with a cross-country trip, do Seattle. Tons to do with kids, a relatively compact downtown to walk or bike around in, lots of unique sights, and their weather reputation is wildly overblown (not much sun but not all that much rain either). Plus you're a hop, skip and jump from Vancouver, one of the best cities in the world IMO. I have to wonder what kind of reception you'd get in the stadium though (never been to CLF) and of course you're probably looking at 2x or more the cost all-in. Even so I'm strongly considering it next year depending on the timing.

I've never been a huge fan of SoCal personally, but if you're looking for more of a 'home away from home' atmosphere for the game it's safe to say you're more likely to get that in either LA or SD than in either KC or SEA ... and obviously you won't have to worry about weather when you're making the travel plans. Plenty to do in LA between the city itself, the beaches and the theme parks ... but do you really want to spend half your West Coast vacation sitting in traffic?

Kinda sucks that we're travelling to both SoCal teams and hosting both NorCal teams, rather than one of each.

Drive down to Carolina.

Back to back years with games in Seattle is very unusual (I know the formula, just is weird it lined up like that).  Tough place to play.  And tickets will be very expensive and it might be a tough game for us.  Sounds like SD would be the best of all those in terms of chance to win/ticket prices/coolness of city.  It's awesome there.

yeah this is off. Dallas has been fortunate avoiding too many debilitating injuries. Their back-up RBs are stellar with A-Mo, but one or 2 injuries on the OL can cost them some games. Am I the only one that remembers the Eagles were up 10 points in the 4th quarter in Dallas?
Yes, which is why I dropped them from 13.5 wins this season to 11.5 wins next season.  I also see a bit of a regression even though on paper they should get even better.  I think thats giving enough benefit of the doubt there.

Maybe offer a late pick for Ingram? How about even up for Kendricks?
I never love getting RB via FA.  The ticket for RBs seems to be get them young and cheap in the draft.  So many really good RBs to be had in rounds 2-4 that can be good starters.  I'd rather role with Smallwood/Sproles/Barner this year and address WR in free agency and draft OL and CB.  Then grab a 2nd round starting RB in 2018 when Sproles is gone.

I never love getting RB via FA.  The ticket for RBs seems to be get them young and cheap in the draft.  So many really good RBs to be had in rounds 2-4 that can be good starters.  I'd rather role with Smallwood/Sproles/Barner this year and address WR in free agency and draft OL and CB.  Then grab a 2nd round starting RB in 2018 when Sproles is gone.

Piecemeal the RB position until you're in position to be a Super Bowl contender and then have the luxury to take a legit stud* in the early rounds if it will get you over the hump.

* That is if you haven't already gotten a stud in the later rounds. 

Bills seeking to interview Frank Reich for head coaching position. Jets pursuing John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator. Really hoping we don't lose both of these guys in the same offseason...

Regarding Eric Rowe:

He didn't play 50% of the Pats' snaps in 2016. Has to play 50% in either 2016 or 2017 for their 4th rd pick from NE to become a 3 in 2018.

Bills seeking to interview Frank Reich for head coaching position. Jets pursuing John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator. Really hoping we don't lose both of these guys in the same offseason...
UGH.  And here preseason we were all worried about Schwartz being the one who was gonna leave.  This is an offensive league now though, and going after OC's instead of DC's is going to be more the norm.

Bills, Jags, Rams all certainly will go with an offensive guy I would think.

Den, SF I think will too.  Demand for OC's is going to be high this offseason and that doesn't bode well for keeping Reich around.

Thunderlips said:
Piecemeal the RB position until you're in position to be a Super Bowl contender and then have the luxury to take a legit stud* in the early rounds if it will get you over the hump.

* That is if you haven't already gotten a stud in the later rounds. 
:goodposting:  

I just queried PFR for the scrimmage yards RB leaders in 2016. Here's where the top 12 were drafted ... just as Deamon noted, it looks like the sweet spot is in the late 2nd through 4th rounds:

David Johnson

3-86

Ezekiel Elliott

1-4

Le'Veon Bell

2-48

DeMarco Murray

3-71

LeSean McCoy

2-53

Devonta Freeman

4-103

Jay Ajayi

5-149

Melvin Gordon

1-15

Spencer Ware

6-194

Mark Ingram

1-28

Frank Gore

3-65

Lamar Miller

4-97

Of course the hit rate on mid-round RBs is going to be a lot lower than on 1st-rounders ... but guess what, that's the case at every other position as well. I haven't run the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation between draft position and total value above replacement for RBs is significantly lower than the average overall.

I am more of a defense guy and I know many are screaming for CB's but this team needs offense.

Our defense kept teams points low enough to win if we had some offense. (WR's that would catch the damn ball)

IMO we need draft picks not free agency. Trade out of the 1st and draft as much as possible.

The good news is Dougie is only married to Carson so open training camp for all other positions.

:goodposting:  

I just queried PFR for the scrimmage yards RB leaders in 2016. Here's where the top 12 were drafted ... just as Deamon noted, it looks like the sweet spot is in the late 2nd through 4th rounds:

David Johnson

3-86

Ezekiel Elliott

1-4

Le'Veon Bell

2-48

DeMarco Murray

3-71

LeSean McCoy

2-53

Devonta Freeman

4-103

Jay Ajayi

5-149

Melvin Gordon

1-15

Spencer Ware

6-194

Mark Ingram

1-28

Frank Gore

3-65

Lamar Miller

4-97

Of course the hit rate on mid-round RBs is going to be a lot lower than on 1st-rounders ... but guess what, that's the case at every other position as well. I haven't run the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation between draft position and total value above replacement for RBs is significantly lower than the average overall.
Nice info. 

If Cook or Fournette drop to us I think those are no brainers.  But assuming they don't, the drop off is pretty big and I like grabbing one way later.  We have a very good shot at a top CB at #15 though.  And as much as I don't want to go WR in round 1, I wouldn't be upset if Wiliams slipped to us or we grabbed Davis.

Dallas at 35% seems very low.  I think most people would take those betting odds.  Heck, most might bet Dallas straight up to win the div vs the field.  I'd put it at, and expect the opening betting percentages to be around:

Dallas:  43%
Giants:  23%
Eagles:  22%
Redskins: 12%
See....we aren't all THAT far apart ;)

BDawk made the HOF finalist list.  Pretty sweet.  I don't think he'll be a first ballot inductee, but a finalist his first time in bodes well for him next year I think.

Users who are viewing this thread