What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (5 Viewers)

Seems like he’s about the 10 ranked cornerback on nearly all sites.

PFF
All Dantzler has done over the past two seasons has been the stingiest cornerback in the SEC from a statistical perspective. He’s allowed only 36 receptions 80 targets over that span for 459 yards, one score, and four picks. For his career, Dantzler has yielded a passer rating against of 43.8. He also owns the title of the only cornerback not to get torched by LSU this season as he allowed 2-of-4 receiving for 13 yards in that game.

Dantzler simply has to get stronger. He was exceptional at press for the Bulldogs the past couple seasons, but will get bodied at his size in the NFL. He’s easily the skinniest corner on this list at 6-2, 185 pounds. Skinny, press corner is almost an oxymoron. It just rarely works out well. He’s only a true junior, so there’s still hope an NFL weight room can get him up to a place where his natural coverage ability can shine.

I said I liked the pick...Not crazy about taking another corner so soon, but I do like Dantzler as a corner and think he will be good. 

Who knows how long before Holton Hill gets suspended again so they need to get players at the position.

Congrats Vikes fans on your 2020 NFC North  title.
They will need to be better than 0-4 against division foes, and that means winning trenches. I’m not convinced. Just seems like every year is receivers and DBs, and a team that wants to run the ball and play zone coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I'm wrong.

They're just going to get ruined up the middle on both sides of the ball again this year. 

I think the truth is likely somewhere in the middle. Which I'm fine with, based on his production.

Bia-you have more faith than I do. I get the theory overall, but in this case what the hell are we going to do with 12 or 13 more picks? Kind of feels to me like they’re going quantity in the hopes they strike gold in a couple places as opposed to having specific targets. If ithis was to turn four remaining picks into seven or eight I would get it, but we already had plenty in the later rounds. It may all make sense tomorrow but right now color me skeptical

Bia-you have more faith than I do. I get the theory overall, but in this case what the hell are we going to do with 12 or 13 more picks? Kind of feels to me like they’re going quantity in the hopes they strike gold in a couple places as opposed to having specific targets. If ithis was to turn four remaining picks into seven or eight I would get it, but we already had plenty in the later rounds. It may all make sense tomorrow but right now color me skeptical
Well they can roster up to 90 players until a certain point. So having more picks allows them to have more control of those 90 players than they would going the free agent route, where those players have more of a choice in who they sign with.

So I don't see it as a waste to keep adding more good football players.

They have done well at defensive line in the 4th round and later before. So maybe they are able to do that again. I just don't know who those players might be right now. I do think Blaylock and Madubuke were of a higher tier or caliber of talent compared to the other defensive linemen I watched, but I certainly haven't watched as many players as the Vikings front office has.

Spielman Explains Friday's Selections of Cleveland and Dantzler, Previews Saturday's 13 (!) Scheduled Picks

He talks about Cleveland being similar to Brian O'Neil and they drafted him in a similar position in the draft. He talks about Clevelands turf toe in 2019 limiting him in practice and somewhat in games, but he played through it. They were familiar with his play from watching him and Mattison in 2018. He says Cleveland has positional flexibility and they could play him at either tackle spot or even guard if they need to.

He says they did try to trade up but they just couldnt strike a deal.

He says the coaches were excited about Dantzler. He talks about how he matched up against the LSU and other SEC receivers, and that he did well against them. That he was a perfect scheme fit for what they are trying to do. He says he knows Dantzler ran a slow 40 at the combine, but that his agents sent them some tape (likely similar to what I posted earlier about his pro day) and they were able to estimate his time from that. They think he plays faster than he tested at the combine and also confirmed by their study of the pro day tape.

He says they were looking at a couple players at 105 but when New Orleans made the offer to move up, it was too much value for them to pass up. He talks about using the extra picks to move up and get what they need still then jokes that they can't really trade back anymore.

He says coming into the draft they only had 60 players under contract, so they needed to get 30 more. If they do end up making 17 picks they will be pretty close to filling the 90 even before free agents.

He then answers some questions.

I guess the last time a team had 17 picks in a draft was 1976.He says they might not use all of the picks. He would like to trade up into the 4th round again (they already have 3 picks in that round) or that they might trade picks for picks next year. He mentions doing that twice.

He says 5 other teams were also trying to trade for pick 105 but that the Saints made the best offer.

He is asked about defensive linemen and he says Andre Patterson has some pet cats that arent as well known but have the physical traits they are looking for and that there will be opportunities for them to get one or more of those guys tomorrow (today).

He is asked about Dantzler and the estimations they were able to do from the tape the agent sent them from his pro day. He says he instructed them on how to take the video to make this easier to do jokingly, but then he talks about how they can get times from the video at the combine and they do that as well. So while what they had wasn't perfect, it was still good enough for them to get a good idea of the time he ran there. He also mentions that Dantzler was banged up at the combine which makes sense as to why he only did two events.

The reporters want him to trade all the picks away so they don't have to talk about anything new.

New additions nicknames...

Justin Jefferson - JJ...Dy-no-mite?
Jeff Gladney - Frogger? (TCU) No Rhodes?

Ezra Cleveland - Big Baby? Rocks?

Cameron Dantzler - Tiny? No Waynes?

They have three 5th's and three 6th's: Looking at the trade value chart (which only works as a general guide because each draft is different), a 5th and a 6th should be enough to get you into the 4th round. They could take two 5th round picks and two 6th round picks and turn them into two 4th round picks.

Of course you have to find trade partners but to me this makes too much sense to go get a bunch of guys that you like. Would still leave the team with 11 total picks today and 5 4th rounders...still a 5th and 6th round pick and 4 7th rounders.

Raiders have two 4th's and one 5th. Then they are done...might be a decent trade partner...

Cardinals have two 4th's, a 6th and a 7th...another possibility...

Falcons have two 4th's and a 7th...

Jets have three 4th's, a 5th and two 6th's...

Man, I am really bored!!!😂

So they took DJ Wonnum  Edge South Carolina.

I don't know much about him yet. Riddick is pointing out that he can play as a outside LB or DE and also can play standing up in the A gap like they have done with Robison and other DE at times before.

He did not test well athletically but he is very long at 6' 5"

Vikings made 7 picks in the last 2 rounds of the draft last year and surprisingly 5 out of 7 are still on the roster.   I guess i am on the fence about stockpiling late round picks.  If they are making the team, they has to be some value there even if they are just on special teams. 

Vikings made 7 picks in the last 2 rounds of the draft last year and surprisingly 5 out of 7 are still on the roster.   I guess i am on the fence about stockpiling late round picks.  If they are making the team, they has to be some value there even if they are just on special teams. 
@ttwentyman
Good graphic by ESPN explaining why today is so important. 14% of rosters made up of 1st rounders. 21% made up of 2nd & 3rd rounders. 65% made up of players from rounds 4-7 & undrafted guys.

Troy Dye possible replacement for Eric Wilson who is a free agent next year.

They gave him a 2nd round tender, so that indicates he might get a good contract somewhere next year and maybe they can get a comp pick out of that.

Brothers and Gedeon can't cover, maybe Dye can?

All 3 of these defenders played in 3-4 defenses so scheme versitility.

The Vikings have traded picks #201 and #219 to the Ravens. In exchange, they receive #225 overall from the Ravens in this year’s draft, which is a seventh-round pick, and a fifth-round pick from the Ravens in the 2021 NFL Draft.

With the deals the Vikings have made and expected compensatory picks, the Vikings already have 12 picks lined up for the 2021 NFL Draft. We’ll detail that more thoroughly when the draft is finished.

The Vikings are still slated to pick at #203 and #205, so there’s still plenty of action to come. Who will the Vikings take? Will they deal any more picks? Man, at this point, I don’t know, but feel free to stick around and find out!
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/25/21235306/2020-nfl-draft-trades-minnesota-vikings-make-deal-with-baltimore-ravens

Users who are viewing this thread