What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (5 Viewers)

If they hire Bowles I'm done with this team for the next 3 wasted year.  

I hope Jefferson finds a good home.

Sounds like the Vikings and Bears both value Poles. Interesting to see how that works out. Also, it sounds like Poles is big on Quinn as a HC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF? Poles picked Chicago over Minnesota without even doing second interview? Makes me question his judgment. Maybe we dodged a bullet.

I wonder now if they hire Kwesi as more of a figurehead and bring in someone like Harbaugh who has ultimate say. Both were in SF at same time right?

Looks like Hackett is off the board, going to Denver. Sets up a Rodgers move to the Broncos as well?

C'mon Kwesi, get those interviews lined up.

I like the Kwesi hire. I think that the Money Ball comparison is a little off for him. I don't see him as a my way or the highway kind of boss whatsoever.  

I am not sure what to think but trying to keep an open mind.

Need to see what he does as far as player contracts for the guys in house and who remains or doesn't. Who they hire as coaches and who they keep. Who they hire in free agency and who they draft to really judge.

As far as the press conference it struck me as a guy who was young and emotional. He seemed less prepared for that than I expected him to be.

Hope is what Vikings media for the most part is selling right now and that is pretty typical when there are changes. I didn't listen to it but I even noted that Ruesse seemed to be positive about the hire and he typically hates all things Vikings in my past experience.

I like the Kwesi hire. I think that the Money Ball comparison is a little off for him. I don't see him as a my way or the highway kind of boss whatsoever.  
Moneyball is 'loosely' based on the real-life person Paul DePodesta.  The character in the movie that 'represents' him is the nerdy Jona Hill NOT Brad Pitt who was the old-school GM who forced analytics onto his old-school scouts.

DePodesta is thee-guy who created the analytic rush.  Kwesi worked with DePodesta in Cleveland. 

Moneyball: What Happened To Paul DePodesta (The Real Peter Brand) Though Sorkin took some liberties bringing Peter Brand to the screen, the analytics pioneer Paul DePodesta continues to influence professional sports.

I still kind of hope they go with Brian Flores for head coach.  Originally I wanted an offensively minded guy but I think Flores is a good coach and got a raw deal in Miami.

Sounds like Jim Harbaugh is on the radar, could do a lot worse. If he's hired, I highly doubt a rebuild is taking place, though if Rodgers leaves, a rebuild is probably the wrong idea anyway as the Vikings instantly become the favorites in the division.

Maybe I am alone on this but the idea of Harbaugh being the next head coach is not exciting to me.

Was he successful with Michigan? 
I'd say he was mostly successful. He was in a tough conference and Michigan kind of fell off a cliff about 8 years before Harbaugh got there, where Lloyd Carr left. By the time Harbaugh got there, Ohio State was a dynasty, with Urban Meyer.

Harbaugh went 49-19 at Michigan, and that was taking over a team that had only finished in the top-25 in 2 of the prior 8 seasons.

Throwing out 2020, where the conference played only a partial schedule, Harbaugh finished in the top-18 all but 1 season there. He just topped out as #3.

Maybe I am alone on this but the idea of Harbaugh being the next head coach is not exciting to me.

Was he successful with Michigan? 
I am not excited either.  He seems to be an inflexible coach which I don't think k works in the NFL with NFL players.  It can work in college because the players are mostly captured and can choose where the go so they somewhat know what they are getting to.

I am not excited either.  He seems to be an inflexible coach which I don't think k works in the NFL with NFL players.  It can work in college because the players are mostly captured and can choose where the go so they somewhat know what they are getting to.
I know it was a long time ago but I will always think of Harbaugh as a Bear rather than a Viking.

So that admittedly irrational part of it is what bothers me.

I was listening to someone talk about this possibility and they brought up the idea that maybe Harbaugh would have a more dominant personality that could over ride Kwesi's input on decision making and that doesn't sound like what they want, which is more of a collaborative effort.

I cannot believe that Harbaugh is going to be the coach.  Also, how have they not at least interviewed Flores?  This is going to be an abject failure if they bring in Harbaugh.  You might get one or two seasons of decent play from the newness but it will flame out spectacularly sooner rather than later.

I'll keep an open mind regardless. My knee jerk is not as negative on Harbaugh as some here. He was doing well in San Fran until he had the power struggle with Baalke. 

I'll keep an open mind regardless. My knee jerk is not as negative on Harbaugh as some here. He was doing well in San Fran until he had the power struggle with Baalke
This is what will happen.  Harbaugh is too inflexible with too big of an ego.  In short doses he is fine which makes him perfect for college as players are there at most 4 years.  So right when they start hating his dominate personality they are leaving.  It won't be that way in the NFL which is why it will end very badly.  

This is what will happen.  Harbaugh is too inflexible with too big of an ego.  In short doses he is fine which makes him perfect for college as players are there at most 4 years.  So right when they start hating his dominate personality they are leaving.  It won't be that way in the NFL which is why it will end very badly.  
Could be. I've read both versions of the same power struggle and have no idea who was more wrong. I've never been much a fan of the rah rah overly emotional type coach I view Harbaugh being, but I'd need to know more than what I've read about SF to conclude he's destined to butt heads with anyone. Baalke has not exactly been a wizard as a GM.

Could be. I've read both versions of the same power struggle and have no idea who was more wrong. I've never been much a fan of the rah rah overly emotional type coach I view Harbaugh being, but I'd need to know more than what I've read about SF to conclude he's destined to butt heads with anyone. Baalke has not exactly been a wizard as a GM.
To me this means both were wrong and it doesn't matter who was more wrong.  The fact they couldn't get along means that the coach is overstepping.  The GM runs the team.  The coach coaches the team.  The coach can give his opinion but in the end the GM makes the decisions (unless the coach is also the GM - which doesn't necessarily turn out well).  I also wouldn't like the pairing of GM to coach with KAM being a new GM.  Seems like a bad combo of an overbearing coach with an inexperienced GM.  

This is big red flag to me.  

To me this means both were wrong and it doesn't matter who was more wrong.  The fact they couldn't get along means that the coach is overstepping.  The GM runs the team.  The coach coaches the team.  The coach can give his opinion but in the end the GM makes the decisions (unless the coach is also the GM - which doesn't necessarily turn out well).  I also wouldn't like the pairing of GM to coach with KAM being a new GM.  Seems like a bad combo of an overbearing coach with an inexperienced GM.  

That could be. Or, it could be Baalke is incapable of working with anyone. Possibly for good reason, if he's a lousy GM and makes all of the wrong decisions that a coach needs to deal with. 

I can totally see Harbaugh steamrolling over KAM.  Maybe that's why he's interested - not because they worked together in the past but because he knows he'll be able to just push him aside and gaffe him off.

For the record - I'm not a big fan of either Harbaugh brothers so I have some bias.

I'm surprised there are so many fans online gung-ho for Harbaugh. He's a good coach, but if Zimmer was a bit too serious and demanding, and his act eventually wore thin on players... then Harbaugh takes that up a notch or two.

He might do well, but it will be a short window... maybe 3-5 years before relationships are strained. Just like Gally said, we have a real mismatch of personalities/experience here and I worry it's not a good setup for long term stability. Well, as long as long term gets in the NFL anyway.

I'm good with Harbaugh or O'Connell. Would really prefer that offensive coach. Both would bring some excitement and change in different ways. 

I'm surprised there are so many fans online gung-ho for Harbaugh. He's a good coach, but if Zimmer was a bit too serious and demanding, and his act eventually wore thin on players... then Harbaugh takes that up a notch or two.
I don't know enough about Harbaugh, so I should probably stay out of the fray. My take though is Zimmer's issues went beyond being too serious and demanding. I think that can work if you have a recipe for success. I can see it getting old quickly though if your recipe is turtle-heading any risk situation and then holding players responsible for bunching up when the stench of panic emanating from the coach is palpable.  

Just saw that in addition to Demeco Ryans, Raheem Morris is said to be out. Pool is down to Harbaugh, O'Connell, and Graham. If someone snatched up O'Connell while we wait for Harbaugh to fly in tomorrow and he walks, we are left with Graham as kind of the last available standing unless we bring more in. I know nothing about Graham. Seems an uninspiring choice but what do I know.

I cannot believe that Harbaugh is going to be the coach.  Also, how have they not at least interviewed Flores?  This is going to be an abject failure if they bring in Harbaugh.  You might get one or two seasons of decent play from the newness but it will flame out spectacularly sooner rather than later.

I think there is a reason that Flores hasn't been hired...probably the same reason he got fired...

I don't know enough about Harbaugh, so I should probably stay out of the fray. My take though is Zimmer's issues went beyond being too serious and demanding. I think that can work if you have a recipe for success. I can see it getting old quickly though if your recipe is turtle-heading any risk situation and then holding players responsible for bunching up when the stench of panic emanating from the coach is palpable.  
Well this is just speculation from all of us, myself included. There is definitely some history there to worry about hiring Harbaugh, but there is also enough history to be excited if he's the guy they go with.

I'll keep an open mind about it if it happens.. I just don't think it's a slam dunk the way others seem to. Naturally I'd be delighted to be proven wrong!

FunkyPlutos said:
From what I've heard, he didn't relate well with the players - even though his record was impressive.
At this point he doesn't seem to relate well with management either.  I guess he isn't the right guy for the job.  

Users who are viewing this thread