What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (8 Viewers)

To Cousins credit he seemed to get more motivated after he threw the interception and I think he played better from that point. 
I was curious on that interception and who was actually to blame. Clearly the cause was Cook not turning to become a receiver... and the 6-7 yards it would have gained seemed logical as a 1st down route. I'm just not sure if that play was Cousins playing poorly.  

Clevelands return wasn't as good as I had hoped.

I didn't like the play calling from Kubiak in this game. Pete Bercich talked about the Vikings taking some deep shots and using the short passing game early on with Jax playing so much single high and looking to take away the run, and based on the strengths and weaknesses of the Jaguars defense, that seemed like the thing to do. Instead they tried to establish the run and sent Cook into a buzzsaw and made converting 1st downs more difficult. 

Its a good thing the defense found some ways to make plays.  they were playing a 1-10 team because against a real team they would have lost.  The offense just couldn't get enough going to win the game without that.
FYP

I was curious on that interception and who was actually to blame. Clearly the cause was Cook not turning to become a receiver... and the 6-7 yards it would have gained seemed logical as a 1st down route. I'm just not sure if that play was Cousins playing poorly.  
Cousins said it was a miscommunication between him and Cook and that he has to remember to make sure every player knows the play before leaving the huddle.

There was the fumble on the exchange at the goal line that I think was Cooks fault for raising the right arm which is interfering with the mesh point, he wanted to have his arms positioned the opposite of that for that hand off.

I noticed after Cousins got sacked on a play where Cook just went out in the flat instead of blocking, that on the next play Cook blocked two defenders. He just started getting after it that way and that is when Cousins had some successful throws downfield. I liked it a lot.

Still you could say 3 bad mistakes there mostly on Cook

The energy and communication seemed to be off. Not sure why that was. To me it felt like they expected to be able to just run the ball and the Jaguars played it pretty well until the Vikings finally got some throws downfield.

On the other side of the ball Glennon had too much time to throw the ball early on. The pass rush was not good. Once they started blitzing it got in Glennons head and he made bad plays. 

Jordan Brailford is interesting. You know a guy is low on the depth chart when they are a defender sharing a offensive linemans number. He was in on the safety and he forced a fumble as well.

Cousins said it was a miscommunication between him and Cook and that he has to remember to make sure every player knows the play before leaving the huddle.
Ha, that sounds like a nice way to say Cook didn't understand his role on that play. It's literally not possible for a QB to re-confirm every player understands a play in the huddle.

On the other side of the ball Glennon had too much time to throw the ball early on. The pass rush was not good. Once they started blitzing it got in Glennons head and he made bad plays. 
Yeah, that was my concern in my post last week... that Zimmer seems to use a lot of 4 man rushes when facing back-up QBs, and they have more success than they should (losses vs Chase Daniel/Matt Moore in 2019). Zimmer should just immediately pressure them into the mistakes that led to them not being NFL starters. Being lax just gives them early confidence, which was apparent yesterday.

Biabreakable said:

There was the fumble on the exchange at the goal line that I think was Cooks fault for raising the right arm which is interfering with the mesh point, he wanted to have his arms positioned the opposite of that for that hand off.

I noticed after Cousins got sacked on a play where Cook just went out in the flat instead of blocking, that on the next play Cook blocked two defenders. He just started getting after it that way and that is when Cousins had some successful throws downfield. I liked it a lot.

Still you could say 3 bad mistakes there mostly on Cook

The energy and communication seemed to be off. Not sure why that was. To me it felt like they expected to be able to just run the ball and the Jaguars played it pretty well until the Vikings finally got some throws downfield.

Jordan Brailford is interesting. You know a guy is low on the depth chart when they are a defender sharing a offensive linemans number. He was in on the safety and he forced a fumble as well.
There was another play as well that I recall where cook was out of position.. It was a Short pass play called inside their own 10.. he drifted out without trying to block and seemed to "sit down" when he should have kept drifting.. Cousins threw to where he thought Cook would be, which ended up going over his head.

Cook even had the :doh:  look when it sailed over.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And there's the ugly loss.. The game was there for the taking but they fell apart in the 2 quarter.. Bailey missing xp (2nd game in a row) and 3 fg's did not help...

I will never understand why coaches rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest back on hail Mary's :whoosh:  I would never rush less then 5.. If the qb doesn't. Have time to set his feet he isn't going to throw it 50+ yards..

Still a chance for a 8-8 season and after a 1-5 start none of us would have thought that was possible... Hopefully they can find OL help in the off season... 

And there's the ugly loss.. The game was there for the taking but they fell apart in the 2 quarter.. Bailey missing xp (2nd game in a row) and 3 fg's did not help...

I will never understand why coaches rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest back on hail Mary's :whoosh:  I would never rush less then 5.. If the qb doesn't. Have time to set his feet he isn't going to throw it 50+ yards..

Still a chance for a 8-8 season and after a 1-5 start none of us would have thought that was possible... Hopefully they can find OL help in the off season... 
The Jets defensive coordinator took your advice and got fired for it last week.

I dont see how this matters when the refs called PI on a hail mary that usually does not get called.

I will never understand why coaches rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest back on hail Mary's :whoosh:  I would never rush less then 5.. If the qb doesn't. Have time to set his feet he isn't going to throw it 50+ yards.
FWIW, Greg Williams got fired last week for blitzing and leaving his cornerback on an island, leading to a long winning completion by Las Vegas. I’ll meet you halfway though... at a minimum you must rush 4.

Biabreakable said:
He was terrible. Cleveland pushed back a lot too. Just not as much as Dozier. ONeil gave up pressure too.
Yup. ESPN has it as 12 QB hits and obviously the 6 sacks. The passing game was surprisingly ok for spells despite the pressure, although the OL really folded under the pressure as the 2nd half progressed. I was realistic heading into this game, so not too surprising other than with the success of Dalvin. 

What worried me most was the hit Cousins took to the quad when he did not slide after a nice run. He’s going to lose a leg if he isn’t smarter in that situation. He was long past a 1st down.

Cook ran really hard in this game. He kept getting yards after contact somehow, busting out of the pile at times.

Nice to see Cousins run some. That helped early on. The guy is very durable and for the most part I thought he played eell.

Listening on the radio, I would have thought the key penalties totally hosed us. Seeing replays, I don't know what some are complaining about. The helmet/helmet by H Smith was one of the dumber plays I've seen. It's like it the H2H was the only thing he wanted to accomplish. On the hail mary, just because PI penalties are rare doesn't mean you should play that way and basically tackle receivers. There is more art to getting away with pretty much anything. 

Seemed like Cousins stayed in the pocket too long on multiple plays where he should have moved out to the left or right to avoid the pass rush. Maybe it's just my view from the television set and it happens alot faster in real life, but his awareness and ability to avoid the rush seemed pretty subpar. That said, will this team ever develop a line that can protect a QB. Same issue year after year after year.

Gally said:
The Jets defensive coordinator took your advice and got fired for it last week.
He blitzed with 6 or 7. If you can't cover 3 or 4 wr's with 6, then you have more issues on defense then dropping 8 will fix. :shrug:

Seemed like Cousins stayed in the pocket too long on multiple plays where he should have moved out to the left or right to avoid the pass rush. Maybe it's just my view from the television set and it happens alot faster in real life, but his awareness and ability to avoid the rush seemed pretty subpar. That said, will this team ever develop a line that can protect a QB. Same issue year after year after year.
I think they have made some progress on that front but it isnt fixed yet. I think they have 3 viable players who could have long careers with the Vikings and Reiff is playing the best I've seen from him this year.

So.. 2nd quarter, down 10, 4th and 1 from your own 34 and... You go for it??????

Zimmer playing for a better draft spot now :confused:

I WAS a Kubiak fan before, but it is time for him to go.  :bye:

He refuses to adjust his game plan away from what worked when he was at Denver.. The game has changed and he won't.. Continues to ignore how bad the OL is and insists on having Cousins sit in the pocket and get hammered.

Team needs to find a new offensive coach who can game plan for the players he has, rather then try and force players into his plan.

On to the off season and hopefully improving the OL as top priority.

I don't care what the game plan is, Cousins has got to exit the pocket instead of quadruple clutching the football. We've all seen he is capable and effective when he does so.

I don't care what the game plan is, Cousins has got to exit the pocket instead of quadruple clutching the football. We've all seen he is capable and effective when he does so.
Cousin has always had an issue with his "Internal clock".. That isn't going to change and is :wall:  at this point in his career. 
BUT, if the Game plan included more roll-outs, screens, short passing routes it would help.

Instead the game plan seems to be Run, Throw Deep and if incomplete or sacked, Throw Deep.. Punt..

Someone should do a Percentage check because it seems like 99.5% of the time if they throw an incomplete pass on 1st down, they will run up the middle on 2nd..
Happened at least 3 times that I recall yesterday..
Defense's should just put 8 at the line on 2nd down if they threw an incomplete pass on 1st down, they are THAT predictable.. 

Team needs to find a new offensive coach who can game plan for the players he has, rather then try and force players into his plan.
Yup. It's why I was not comforted by the fact we had so many accomplished coaches who (seemingly) believed their vast coaching abilities could overcome a bad OL. 

It is sort of bittersweet to watch what what Stefanski is able to do in Cleveland. Happy for the guy, certainly more creative than any offensive coach on the Vikings. BUT, he's operating with an above average OL. Of course he'd have left to become a head coach regardless of what the Vikes saw in him, but it's frustrating to recall that very recently there was reluctance to letting Stefanski be a stand-alone OC without oversight from Kubiak. It just shows how hard it is to know what you've actually got in terms of coaches and other skill positions when you have such a gaping void at a position like OL. I mean, there is a proven way to make everyone look like geniuses and superstars.  

I WAS a Kubiak fan before, but it is time for him to go.  :bye:

He refuses to adjust his game plan away from what worked when he was at Denver.. The game has changed and he won't.. Continues to ignore how bad the OL is and insists on having Cousins sit in the pocket and get hammered.

On to the off season and hopefully improving the OL as top priority.
I am not sure what you mean by the game has changed but Kubiak wont. Do you mean he Vikings need to pass the ball more?

As far as changing the offensive line hard to do that during the season. I suppose some think that Bret Jones is better than Dozier. I think that is possible. Yet Dozier continues to start. There isn't a whole lot they could change with the personnel during the season though.

How has Kubiak failed to game plan for the players he has?

Cook is a perfect fit for his scheme. Jefferson is having a historically good season for a rookie. I am just not seeing the square peg round hole you are talking about here.

Yeah he isn't the fastest guy in the world but it would be better to get 5 yards if he doesn't feel good enough about throwing it into coverage.

Cousin has always had an issue with his "Internal clock".. That isn't going to change and is :wall:  at this point in his career. 
BUT, if the Game plan included more roll-outs, screens, short passing routes it would help.
I don't think boots and roll outs are great against the Bears defense. The screens are kind of hard to get off against them too.

Instead the game plan seems to be Run, Throw Deep and if incomplete or sacked, Throw Deep.. Punt..

Someone should do a Percentage check because it seems like 99.5% of the time if they throw an incomplete pass on 1st down, they will run up the middle on 2nd..
Happened at least 3 times that I recall yesterday..
Defense's should just put 8 at the line on 2nd down if they threw an incomplete pass on 1st down, they are THAT predictable.. 
The Vikings running the ball on 2nd and long is something that people have been talking about all year. Their tendency to do this is high and they should be aware of that. They ran with Cook on 3rd and long one time. Didnt get the 1st down of course but it was actually close and that play made sense to me considering they were backed up near the end zone.

The runs on 2nd and long very predictable though.

Yup. It's why I was not comforted by the fact we had so many accomplished coaches who (seemingly) believed their vast coaching abilities could overcome a bad OL. 

It is sort of bittersweet to watch what what Stefanski is able to do in Cleveland. Happy for the guy, certainly more creative than any offensive coach on the Vikings. BUT, he's operating with an above average OL. Of course he'd have left to become a head coach regardless of what the Vikes saw in him, but it's frustrating to recall that very recently there was reluctance to letting Stefanski be a stand-alone OC without oversight from Kubiak. It just shows how hard it is to know what you've actually got in terms of coaches and other skill positions when you have such a gaping void at a position like OL. I mean, there is a proven way to make everyone look like geniuses and superstars.  
What is Stefanski doing well with the Browns that the Vikings are not doing?

The Browns run the ball more than the Vikings do and most of the complaints seem to be about the Vikings running the ball too much.

Not to mention the rookies and inexperienced players in the secondary. Should hopefully.be a big jump up in the defense next year.
Yeah I would hope so. I do believe in Zimmer being able to get the defense back to where it was.

I was listening to some talk about this from an outside perspective and they think the Vikings should go with defensive line in the 1st round. Its great that the Vikings have been able to develop these lower round picks at defensive end and develop them into great players but this has not happened at defensive tackle.

In theory getting Pierce back should help but I would love for them to add a tackle who can rush the passer.

I do think Wonnum has shown some signs of becoming a good player. I am definitely not against them doing that. I just would like to see some more talent added on top of that.

No idea who might be available in the draft that might actually be an option. 

If the Vikings had kept Griffen I think they would have been in better shape but it wasn't a long term solution.

Creative in what way?

Trick plays?
I don’t think it is trickery, but I’ve seen a fair number of games and would call them unpredictable and dynamic. They do have an awful lot of talent, and strong pass protection. Mayfield move a lot with eyes downfield.

I don’t think it is trickery, but I’ve seen a fair number of games and would call them unpredictable and dynamic. They do have an awful lot of talent, and strong pass protection. Mayfield move a lot with eyes downfield.
I haven't watched the Browns much at all this year. So I will take your word for it.

The QB moving the defense is something I would like to see Cousins do more. Its something that takes time and protection to do well though. The Browns offensive line is better in pass protection than the Vikings.

I haven't watched the Browns much at all this year. So I will take your word for it.

The QB moving the defense is something I would like to see Cousins do more. Its something that takes time and protection to do well though. The Browns offensive line is better in pass protection than the Vikings.
You should watch them, they are a fun team to watch. They are the 6th highest scoring team in the NFL, which is more impressive since divisional games include Pitt/Balt. They do a good job with screens to dynamic RBs and getting the ball to shifty WRs in mid routes, who can get YAC, both of which presents defenses problems focusing too much on their very strong ground game.

Also to be clearer, Mayfield moves in the pocket and rolls right and left with his eyes downfield waiting for receivers to come open. He may move Defenders, but not something I noticed. 

You should watch them, they are a fun team to watch. They are the 6th highest scoring team in the NFL, which is more impressive since divisional games include Pitt/Balt. They do a good job with screens to dynamic RBs and getting the ball to shifty WRs in mid routes, who can get YAC, both of which presents defenses problems focusing too much on their very strong ground game.

Also to be clearer, Mayfield moves in the pocket and rolls right and left with his eyes downfield waiting for receivers to come open. He may move Defenders, but not something I noticed. 
Oh I gotcha.

Yeah the Vikings were doing more boots last year than this season I think. Mayfield younger guy maybe faster than Cousins which isn't that hard.

Mayfield younger guy maybe faster than Cousins which isn't that hard.
Much faster. I don’t think the Vikings can replicate what Cleveland does, but they could use their speed better, and less predictability. Main point is kudos to Stefanski. Cleveland had much of this same talent + OBJ last season and could not put anything together offensively.

Much faster. I don’t think the Vikings can replicate what Cleveland does, but they could use their speed better, and less predictability. Main point is kudos to Stefanski. Cleveland had much of this same talent + OBJ last season and could not put anything together offensively.
I like Stefanski. I think he listens well and happy he is doing well.

The Vikings offense has made some progress this year as well though and I am not ready to change offensive coordinators AGAIN like Snogger is. I would like to see some continuity.

I’m torn on this. I think it was Leber who said during post game that many of the short yardage running plays are straight out of a 90’s Denver playcalling. That makes him predictable. That could be tolerable though if we had blockers from the 90’s Broncos roster. He’s a Zimmer old school coach, minus the personnel that he needs.

Well one of the reasons I would like to see continuity is for development of the offensive line.

The Vikings have one of the best 4th down and 2 point conversions in the league this year so how they block on short yardage doesn't seem like a big problem even if it is predictable.

That’s interesting. Although I’d need to know more to buy into the theory of this ranking reflecting good short yardage blocking (which is really only relevant for run game, as passing in these situations doesn’t demand typical pass protection). I suspect 2 pt and several of the 4th downs became short pass. My eyes tell me we’ve had a lot of big 3rd/4th and 1 runs that ran into brick walls. 

ETA: On 2 pt, even there I’d call that an unnatural/surprise running play traditionally. Would love to see the success rate on natural 3rd/4th < 2 yards running attempts this year.

I am not sure what you mean by the game has changed but Kubiak wont. Do you mean he Vikings need to pass the ball more?

As far as changing the offensive line hard to do that during the season. I suppose some think that Bret Jones is better than Dozier. I think that is possible. Yet Dozier continues to start. There isn't a whole lot they could change with the personnel during the season though.

How has Kubiak failed to game plan for the players he has?

Cook is a perfect fit for his scheme. Jefferson is having a historically good season for a rookie. I am just not seeing the square peg round hole you are talking about here.
:shrug:  IMO.. Kubiak failed to adjust his game plan for this OL.. Having Kirk, who has no internal clock, sit in the pocket waiting for Wr's to run 25+ yard routes has been just asking for disaster behind this OL.

Once it was obvious the OL wasn't going to provide protection long enough for deep routes, he should have adjusted to more screens, short crossing routes, draws, etc.. Do something to help the OL.. Instead he had a plan and just expects the OL to do something they've proven they can't. 

snogger said:
:shrug:  IMO.. Kubiak failed to adjust his game plan for this OL.. Having Kirk, who has no internal clock, sit in the pocket waiting for Wr's to run 25+ yard routes has been just asking for disaster behind this OL.

Once it was obvious the OL wasn't going to provide protection long enough for deep routes, he should have adjusted to more screens, short crossing routes, draws, etc.. Do something to help the OL.. Instead he had a plan and just expects the OL to do something they've proven they can't. 
Were the Vikings running a lot of deep routes?

From what I saw Cousins just kept holding on to the ball because he didn't think anyone was open. What you are saying reminds me of Norv Turner. I haven't seen a lot of 7 step drops. Cousins just isn't getting the ball out quickly.

As far as using more screens and other constraint plays, I think they tried to do that the last time they played the Bears and it didn't work very well. You are giving their defense a free rush at the QB when you screen. More crossing routes might have worked. Not sure why you would want the Vikings to run draw plays. They have done that at times. Its a run so I am not clear on how that helps.

I agree that Kirk should get the ball out quicker. I am hearing that Justin Jefferson may have been expressing the same.

Users who are viewing this thread