Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

That would be pretty extreme, assume tonight is more of the same but Pat Tillman is something I didn't consider. 

I've read that tonight the players will lock arms on both teams.

Idk, I'd just like as an NFL fan to sit down and enjoy a good competitive game with hoping Dallas coming out on top

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

John Chavez‏ @jchavezfbnm 4h4 hours ago Replying to @realDonaldTrump "Thinking NFL players are 'protesting the flag' is like thinking Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation."

says the guy who is on an internet politics forum while the game is on saying he doesnt want to be bothered by political stuff during the game take that to the bank bromigos 

Hmmm...if you wade into an issue by telling people who are kneeling because of a racial issue to stop kneeling, you by definition are dealing with race whether you mention race or not.  This isn't har

27 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I had heard from people on the radio who played with Tillman that he was the type of person that would have been in full support for the players kneeling.

Listening to talking heads on the radio is just about as bad as talking heads on TV.  And worth as much.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I've read that tonight the players will lock arms on both teams.

Idk, I'd just like as an NFL fan to sit down and enjoy a good competitive game with hoping Dallas coming out on top

For team unity? Supporting not protesting or supporting protesting or against Trump, maybe, just America's Team again?

Edited by Phil Elliott
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sand said:

Listening to talking heads on the radio is just about as bad as talking heads on TV.  And worth as much.

I cringe when people like that try to speak for people that passed like they know what they would want. :loco:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phil Elliott said:

Anedoctally, It seems most of the people that disagree with the players protesting, agree they have the right to do so but don't think doing it during the national anthem or at the game is appropriate. Just seems to be the polls/opinions that I have seen/heard. Your mileage may differ. The protests are starting to lose value as there seem to be several causes and I don't know which player is protesting which cause or just against Trump's dumb comments. And the players standing but with interlocked arms are supporting the players right to protests or do they have the same causes too?  Maybe we can have all the players that want to protest go to one end zone and kneel and the players that want to pray go to the other end zone and kneel. 

More generally, the right to free speech doesn't mean there aren't consequences. Many companies do background checks that include social media. Depending on what you post, may have an affect on your employment opportunity or it may impact your status of current employment. If you are posting you are a big oil supporter and don't support climate change, you may not get that job offer with the solar panel company.   If you stand in your company's lobby nude to protest animal rights, you certainly have the right, but you may not be working for that company any longer.  

I don't mind them protesting at the games and don't mind how they do it. Does someone have the book on proper protesting protocol?  

 

/thread

Kind of surprised not a single person liked this post, worth a read.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, squistion said:

Matt Novak‏ @paleofuture 7m7 minutes ago

The Fox News reporter keeps asking about Trump calling players "SOBs"

because he can't even quote the president in polite company.

This is pretty rich considering the left thinks that commercials with children saying "F Trump", comedians holding up bloody severed heads of Trump, and thousands of woman running around the streets wearing female genitalia on their heads is somehow appropriate. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NFL2DF said:

This is pretty rich considering the left thinks that commercials with children saying "F Trump", comedians holding up bloody severed heads of Trump, and thousands of woman running around the streets wearing female genitalia on their heads is somehow appropriate. 

They act so hysterical and biased in the way they ignore the things you mentioned it's hard to take seriously. 

 

Looks like Steelers had Villanueva apologize, what a joke. He shouldn't have to apologize for making his teammates look bad, they did it to themselves. Lame. 

Edited by GoBirds
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

They act so hysterical and biased in the way they ignore the things you mentioned it's hard to take seriously. 

 

Looks like Steelers had Villanueva apologize, what a joke. 

Did the Steelers ask him to apologize?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered a Alejandro Villanueva's jersey on NFL.com.  It's the top selling jersey the past 24 hours after he stood with his hand over his chest during the playing of the anthem alone by the tunnel entrance.  His respect being a veteran and the courage to stand alone for what he believes in is another side to this issue, he has the respect of NFL fans as displayed by his jersey sales.  Not saying those who kneel are wrong, but both sides need to be respected.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Did the Steelers ask him to apologize?

Lame interview to save face for the rest of the team, he had cleared it with the organization but not the whole team and all the coaching staff. He takes full blame, his fault etc etc. 

Edited by GoBirds
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gopher State said:

Just ordered a Alejandro Villanueva's jersey on NFL.com.  It's the top selling jersey the past 24 hours after he stood with his hand over his chest during the playing of the anthem alone by the tunnel entrance.  His respect being a veteran and the courage to stand alone for what he believes in is another side to this issue, he has the respect of NFL fans as displayed by his jersey sales.  Not saying those who kneel are wrong, but both sides need to be respected.

Awesome, can you get shirts too want to get both?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Lame interview to save face for the rest of the team, he had cleared it with the organization but not the whole team and all the coaching staff. He takes full blame, his fault etc etc. 

I saw the interview. Indeed, I posted on it. But I didn't take it as lame at all. And I didn't see anything about the Steelers making him do it.

To me, it read like a pretty thoughtful, sincere guy who a) wants to stand for the anthem but b) wants to support his teammates and c) learn about the issues they raise. 

Your comments on what he said seem to demean a pretty thoughtful guy dealing with some difficult issues.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I saw the interview. Indeed, I posted on it. But I didn't take it as lame at all. And I didn't see anything about the Steelers making him do it.

To me, it read like a pretty thoughtful, sincere guy who a) wants to stand for the anthem but b) wants to support his teammates and c) learn about the issues they raise. 

Your comments on what he said seem to demean a pretty thoughtful guy dealing with some difficult issues.

He is clearly a thoughtful and sincere guy, as well as the biggest hero of this whole soap opera. If you don't think Tomlin had some input on that interview I don't know what to tell you. Regardless, this guy is a great story out of this mess. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Good for the league, will not cease playing the National Anthem before games. :thumbup:

I don`t care if anyone sits or stands. What is bad though is the players might be killing the golden goose that is the NFL. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

The owners have done that, not the players. 

No, there's enough blame to go around for sure. They are all pooping the bed along with the league and their handling of concussions. They all have a piece in this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Da Guru said:

For allowing it?

Ask people in San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis and any other city like Minnesota that was told if they didn't give them a billion for a new stadium, they were going to leave them too. NO respect for their customers. None. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sheriff Bart said:

Ask people in San Diego, Oakland, St. Louis and any other city like Minnesota that was told if they didn't give them a billion for a new stadium, they were going to leave them too. NO respect for their customers. None. 

I agree 100%  But now ratings are sliding as well. Veterans want a national boycott on Veterans day.  Not good for the league.

 

Again I do not care who sits or stands but sitting on Sunday does not change anything on a Monday morning in a Detroit school or hood.  Getting out in the community can change things and people. That would require actual time and effort though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Gotta hand it to Dallas. That seemed perfect. Team unity kneel. Separate from Anthem.

That was perfect.  They should have released a statement at the same time saying this was not about the military, but the issues that concern them

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Gotta hand it to Dallas. That seemed perfect. 

Yes, it fit nicely into that nice safe box that all of us white people would want during our sporting events.  We don't want to be bothered with concerns about things like racial inequality and police brutality when we have a football game to watch.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lakerstan said:

Yes, it fit nicely into that nice safe box that all of us white people would want during our sporting events.  We don't want to be bothered with concerns about things like racial inequality and police brutality when we have a football game to watch.

Not sure how you get that. The entire team unified for a kneel to show support for Racial Equality and against Police Brutality was strong. Felt like the opposite of not wanting to be bothered. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lakerstan said:

Yes, it fit nicely into that nice safe box that all of us white people would want during our sporting events.  We don't want to be bothered with concerns about things like racial inequality and police brutality when we have a football game to watch.

You know what? You're right.

I worked all day, my team is on MNF, I don't want to think about anything right now. I just want to relax and watch football. ####### sue me

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

You know what? You're right.

I worked all day, my team is on MNF, I don't want to think about anything right now. I just want to relax and watch football. ####### sue me

So why do you care when these guys kneel then? That's really going to screw up the football game for you?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...