What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (11 Viewers)

Trump can't clean up Obama's legacy of division overnight.  It may take a generation.  Like he said early on, he inherited a mess.   
He's diligently trying to clean up the mess Obama made on the golf courses.  It seems almost every week Trump is out there trying to clean up more of Obama's mess that Obama created by golfing all the time.  Good thing Trump said he'd be too busy to golf...but he still can't avoid the golf courses because he's still having to clean up Obama's mess, even there.

And the division stuff...he's just having to divide the country in the opposite way that Obama is said to have divided the country, just to set it back right.  I mean, Trump's divisiveness is only in reaction to all those times Obama was tweeting out personal attacks on celebrities, politicians, police officers, athletes, foreign leaders.  Trump is just righting the ship after a disastrous 8 years of a president who didn't know how to keep his mouth /shut.

I have not paid less attention to the NFL since like 2000 when I was still in college.  That is mostly because of life situations as I just don't have time and keep needing Sundays to get stuff done.

That said, I am sick and tired of hearing about this stuff.  I understand the people upset with those not kneeling because that's my natural demographic.  However, I understand those supporting the protests because I am human.  It just feels like a mountain being made out of a molehill as far as people being so upset over the protests.  Just had my cocky uber-conservative boss give the "guys being paid millions of dollars to play a game" speech.  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile everyone to a man thinks Trump needs to just shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump can't clean up Obama's legacy of division overnight.  It may take a generation.  Like he said early on, he inherited a mess.   
can you lay out some of this in bullet points, please. not trying to be dismissive- curious to hear exactly why you think obama was this divisive.

I remember when Obama was elected President and feeling extremely proud of America.  I didn't think Obama did as bad a job as some like to say he did.  I know he wasn't the greatest President but I thought he represented our country well and with respect.
Oh to be sure, Obama had a lot of bad policies and was a disappointment in a lot of ways. But I never once doubted his humanity or intelligence.

So your proposal is to make black NFL players, a large percentage of whom grew up in economically poor areas with higher than average crime rates, ride along with the cops so they can learn some respect? Did I read that right?
Who said learn respect? It is about educating both sides.  I had friends who were Detroit Cops.  15 years ago they had a ride along program and I was allowed to ride one Friday night.   I thought they were just hardass cops but After one night I had a totally different perspective of what they deal with on a nightly basis.  Nothing really eventful happened for them, but to me there were 4-5 tense situations..and that was only one shift.

Trump was wrong in the way he said what he said, plain and simple. 

I'm sick of his poor choice in words.

He is right in that kneeling and being disrespectful does nothing to help the wrongs that are in this world, but very wrong in how he tried to deliver it.

Very disappointed that Trump did that, and maybe more so that the NFL players went right along with it. Now they're kneeling to protest Trump protesting the kneeling that was being done to protest? 

I mean when does it end? 

The NFL took a massive hit this weekend IMO with all the players kneeling ........... Trump took a massive hit too IMO, his supporters are sick of the stupid bar talk, he can do better than this by leaps and bounds.

Nobody won over all this - nobody
This is exactly what people said about lunch counter protests, the March on Washington, Pride parades, gay marriage rallies, etc. etc. etc.  They were wrong then and you're wrong now. I already gave an example of how the protests might be helping the cause.

I remember when Obama was elected President and feeling extremely proud of America.  I didn't think Obama did as bad a job as some like to say he did.  I know he wasn't the greatest President but I thought he represented our country well and with respect.
Yup. He wasn't perfect and he made mistakes but I was never at any time embarrassed by him and I never once questioned his commitment to our country. He held the office with respect and dignity. I long for the day when I can say that again, no matter which party it comes from. 

Who said learn respect? It is about educating both sides.  I had friends who were Detroit Cops.  15 years ago they had a ride along program and I was allowed to ride one Friday night.   After one night I had a totally different perspective of what they deal with on a nightly basis.  Nothing really eventful happened for them, but to me there were 4-5 tense situations..and that was only one shift.
I don't know, is there anyone who wouldn't admit freely that being a cop is highly stressful and often dangerous? Not sure how that cancels out the systemic violence and racism directed at minorities.

its almost the same thing Obama supporters said after he was elected. He inherited a historical mess
And he did.

I think you can make the case that Trump inherited a country wildly and passionately divided. Ignoring Obama's real or alleged part in that, a simple question should be - what would you say Trump has done to make that situation better?

its almost the same thing Obama supporters said after he was elected. He inherited a historical mess
Well, that's an actual, you know, fact, as far as the economy goes, and not based on nebulous stuff like "the great divider" and the other nonsense that the far right loons gin up to bash Obama.

The obsession with ratings continue:

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 5h5 hours ago

Ratings for NFL football are way down except before game starts,

when people tune in to see whether or not our country will be disrespected!
And what he said is not completely true. Ratings have not been down across the boards, it has been a mixed bag:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/trump-nfl-ratings-tweet/

Early Nielsen ratings, which are incomplete and subject to change, showed that Sunday's games on Fox and NBC were down compared to the same week last year, but Sunday's games on CBS and "Monday Night Football" on ESPN were up.

Overall, according to the NFL, Week 3 ratings were slightly higher than Week 3 in 2016.

The biggest single broadcast, NBC's "Sunday Night Football," declined about 10% from the equivalent game last year. But it's hard to say whether that was due to Trump, the anthem protests, competition from other shows or the fact that the Washington Redskins' lopsided victory over the Oakland Raiders made for a relatively unexciting matchup. The most likely answer is "all of the above."

I'm curious as to why the viewers the NFL lost due to disrespecting the flag didn't throw their support behind NASCAR, which continues to sink. If I didn't know better I'd say that a single data point on TV ratings proves nothing. Then again, many people also believe one cold day in the summer disproves global climate change.

The obsession with ratings continue:

And what he said is not completely true. Ratings have not been down across the boards, it has been a mixed bag:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/trump-nfl-ratings-tweet/

Early Nielsen ratings, which are incomplete and subject to change, showed that Sunday's games on Fox and NBC were down compared to the same week last year, but Sunday's games on CBS and "Monday Night Football" on ESPN were up.

Overall, according to the NFL, Week 3 ratings were slightly higher than Week 3 in 2016.

The biggest single broadcast, NBC's "Sunday Night Football," declined about 10% from the equivalent game last year. But it's hard to say whether that was due to Trump, the anthem protests, competition from other shows or the fact that the Washington Redskins' lopsided victory over the Oakland Raiders made for a relatively unexciting matchup. The most likely answer is "all of the above."
Just add it to the list of lies. 

even if people are only tuning in for the anthem i think that they are tuning in to revel in trump being repudiated in such a clear way not because they want to see the flag disrespected because no one actually believes that the flag is in fact being disrespected when people exercise the freedoms for which it stands take that to the truth o meter bank bromigos 

And he did.

I think you can make the case that Trump inherited a country wildly and passionately divided. Ignoring Obama's real or alleged part in that, a simple question should be - what would you say Trump has done to make that situation better?
overtime a different party takes control of the WH the same thing is said

the situation won't get better for sometime . The economy doing better will help but won't be a cure all like in the past. The internet and social media really fuel the oppositions hate. Obama & now Trump face a totally different landscape

The reason why you have such a giant hard on for both BLM and Obama, which is also the reason that you love the orange buffoon so much.
Nothing to own here.  I judge by actions and results. Dead police officers, riots, lack of respect for law enforcement and rule of law sickens me.  

Care to own why you disparage our leader by using derogatory terms?

Jake Tapper‏ @jaketapper 3h3 hours ago

Pat Tillman's widow asks Trump not to politicize her husband's service in way that divides US -- CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/us/pat-tillman-widow-reacts-trump-national-anthem/index.html

Marie released a statement to CNN on Monday night. She said she hoped Trump would read it.

"As a football player and soldier, Pat inspired countless Americans to unify," Marie said. "It is my hope that his memory should always remind people that we must come together."

"Pat's service, along with that of every man and woman's service, should never be politicized in a way that divides us. We are too great of a country for that," she wrote, subtly invoking Trump's "make America great again" slogan.

"Those that serve fight for the American ideals of freedom, justice and democracy," she wrote. "They and their families know the cost of that fight. I know the very personal costs in a way I feel acutely every day. The very action of self expression and the freedom to speak from one's heart — no matter those views — is what Pat and so many other Americans have given their lives for. Even if they didn't always agree with those views."

Tillman's statement concluded: "It is my sincere hope that our leaders both understand and learn from the lessons of Pat's life and death, and also those of so many other brave Americans."

Yup. He wasn't perfect and he made mistakes but I was never at any time embarrassed by him and I never once questioned his commitment to our country. He held the office with respect and dignity. I long for the day when I can say that again, no matter which party it comes from. 
I can say that about every President in my life time, except for the current one.

I wonder if people would get upset if the players explicity said they are protesting during the anthem by standing there while the anthem was playing?

the situation won't get better for sometime . The economy doing better will help but won't be a cure all like in the past. The internet and social media really fuel the oppositions hate. Obama & now Trump face a totally different landscape
That didn't answer my question. I agree the situation is one that will not be fixed soon. I'm asking what has Trump done to make it better? What steps has he taken to try and unify a divided country? I'm not saying he has to solve the problem; I'm asking what is he doing to try and improve it? 

Nothing to own here.  I judge by actions and results. Dead police officers, riots, lack of respect for law enforcement and rule of law sickens me.  

The path to a better America is accepting that there are wrongs on both sides.  If you are sicken by one side you should also be sickened by the other.

Because he's a reality TV conman obviously utterly unfit for the office. He's demonstrably the biggest liar ever to hold major public office in the United States. He's a serial philanderer and has admitted to being a serial sexual predator. He's an open bigot. He's utterly incompetent and has completely failed to enact any meaningful legislation. Should I go on?

Wait, wat? Different landscape? What different landscape? Social media didn't exist during Obama's term of office? And how is the internet different now versus the prior eight years?

People think Donald Trump inherited a mess, compared with Obama who had to manage an actual economic crisis, complete with record high unemployment and home foreclosure rates?

Because Donald Trump didn't inherit anything of the sort. The country is humming along, largely thanks to the stability brought forth by the Obama administration. The actual problem is Donald Trump, and those that feel all hurt about what NFL players do, or about what social programs "some people" get. It's an actual joke to compare the two scenarios.

And they aren't all millionaires, not even close. Isn't this a football site? Please don't parrot the aunts on Facebook. Nearly everyone here should be somewhat familiar with salary structure in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread