What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (9 Viewers)

I agree with the core issue - kneeling is offensive ........... I almost 100% agree with the way he tried to convey it
Ok so let me ask you this -

Why do you think Trump's rhetoric has been so much harsher and more intense for NFL players kneeling than it was for Nazis and White Supremacists marching down the street chanting "THE JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US"?

Is kneeling for the anthem worse than marching down the street with a Nazi flag?

I have no problem with what the players are doing or with fans who get upset and want to boycott the NFL for it. The President is not suppose to be calling for the firing of people for exercising their rights. He is in the wrong on that. 
This has nothing to do with free speech rights.  The NFL limits players' "speech" all the time and they have every right to do it.

For perspective on how "divided" the country currently is -- and I think it is to an somewhat greater degree -- some of you should watch the ongoing Ken Burns doc on Vietnam, particularly Episodes 7 and 8, which covered social unrest in 1968-70. 

You don't feel the need to protest anything because you're life seems to be unaffected by any injustices.
don't pretend to know me

I see a LOT of injustices -  to myself, to my children, to my community and the people in it .............. what do you want me to do? Burn a city block to get attention? do something radical that would piss off a lot of people and disrespect them to get attention? block a highway on Friday morning  and keep a lot of people from getting to work on time?

I get pissed off every day at things I see.

sure, that's part of it, its the same with everybody

I listed to hours of liberal talk radio driving to my bass tournament this past weekend - disagreed with everything they said pretty much, but I did listen

when is the last time a liberal has listened to hours of conservative radio trying to see the other side?

its one reason I love this forum- my view is a minority here, that's a good thing for me, not a bad thing
I listen to conservative talk radio on the way to work in the morning.  Listening to the other side's radio isn't that rare.  

ahhh 

self justification to protesting, what you see as a valid reason others might not see ....... same as what you see offensive others might not. 

some people see rioting and burning their own neighborhoods as perfectly acceptable protests, or blocking highways or threatening violence on college campuses etc

I'm serious - the alt-left (or whatever name we are using for them) are perfectly justified in what they do, that's how their minds work, just like Trump thinks what he's doing is ok, and the NFL players think they're ok in what they're doing and fans boycotting the NFL? they're justified too, right ?
You seriously don't see a difference between citizens exercising their free speech rights and the President trying to rally people and businesses to try to prevent that exercise in free speech?

This has nothing to do with free speech rights.  The NFL limits players' "speech" all the time and they have every right to do it.
Right, but in this case their employer, the NFL, has allowed them to protest in this way.

As far as the law is concerned, there isn't a single thing Trump can do. 

And that's because of freedom of speech rights.

Right, but in this case their employer, the NFL, has allowed them to protest in this way.

As far as the law is concerned, there isn't a single thing Trump can do. 

And that's because of freedom of speech rights.
No, it's not because of freedom of speech rights.  It's because the owners, in some cases, have allowed them to do it.

don't pretend to know me

I see a LOT of injustices -  to myself, to my children, to my community and the people in it .............. what do you want me to do? Burn a city block to get attention? do something radical that would piss off a lot of people and disrespect them to get attention? block a highway on Friday morning  and keep a lot of people from getting to work on time?

I get pissed off every day at things I see.
Why would I want you to burn anything?  Why you keep on suggesting breaking laws in order to get attention.  You yourself have said numerous times that the players should have come up with a better way to protest.  You seem to know the best ways of doing that so do it, some freaking complaining.  If you are truly being oppressed and are a victim of injustices then do something about it.  Don't get pissed at the people that are actually trying to do something.

It's absolutely a constitutional free speech issue.  The NFL has thus far been fine allowing to players to speak.  It's Trump (and now Sessions) trying to pressure the NFL to prohibit that speech.

Employers have a lot of "rights" that we don't question enough. Why can they do things to us that we would squeal to the roofs if govt did them?

(but that's for another time)

I see what you're saying and the NFL players are peaceful in their demonstrations yes - but highly offensive to a lot of people

there are massive negatives that come with what they're doing - you see that don't you ?
Most of the time you make a stand for something there are negatives but if you believe in the cause it is worth it.   Our founding fathers knew this to be true...

For perspective on how "divided" the country currently is -- and I think it is to an somewhat greater degree -- some of you should watch the ongoing Ken Burns doc on Vietnam, particularly Episodes 7 and 8, which covered social unrest in 1968-70. 
I couldn't agree more. My brother was talking Riversco stuff, and I just shook my head and told him to study that time period. 

No, it's not because of freedom of speech rights.  It's because the owners, in some cases, have allowed them to do it.
Again, this is why TRUMP has no say in the matter.

Without free speech laws, like say in North Korea, Trump would have the power to stop players from kneeling.

But because of free speech laws, he can't.

Since you ignored this yesterday:

"Do you honestly think that Trump himself gets this at all? I don't seem to recall you being horrified when he disparaged John McCain's service record or attacked the Gold Star Khan family during the DNC. You're outraged over a bunch of 20-something athletes quietly protesting a legitimate issue and were totally OK with a Presidential candidate's blatant disrespect to genuine heros and now that he's President using these protests as a deliberate wedge issue to score political points with folks who don't know any better. Just awful, and another perfect illustration of how we ended up with this clown in the first place."
#1 I don't ignore anything - ever. I might miss it, because I don't live on this forum 24-7-365, but I never ignore

#2 no, Trump doesn't get it, I think he talks like he's 6 beers into a bar get together with his buddies and has no self control over his tongue, the trash filter that we all have gets shut off and he says whatever comes to mind, and he's too proud later to admit he's wrong. That's what i think today.

#3 protesting is one thing, being disgraceful, unpatriotic and disrespectful .... I cannot agree with that.

Employers have a lot of "rights" that we don't question enough. Why can they do things to us that we would squeal to the roofs if govt did them?

(but that's for another time)
The majority of laws side with employees over business.  Most of the laws put in place are made fairly difficult for businesses to take advantage of.

Again, this is why TRUMP has no say in the matter.

Without free speech laws, like say in North Korea, Trump would have the power to stop players from kneeling.

But because of free speech laws, he can't.
He can't stop it, but he has every right to speak to it if he chooses.

:goodposting:

I grew up in the 60s and there was more divide then than there is now.

#1 I don't ignore anything - ever. I might miss it, because I don't live on this forum 24-7-365, but I never ignore

#2 no, Trump doesn't get it, I think he talks like he's 6 beers into a bar get together with his buddies and has no self control over his tongue, the trash filter that we all have gets shut off and he says whatever comes to mind, and he's too proud later to admit he's wrong. That's what i think today.

#3 protesting is one thing, being disgraceful, unpatriotic and disrespectful .... I cannot agree with that.
The thing is, number 3 is basically your opinion.  I know a lot of others share that opinion but it's still just opinion.

Do you find the NFL players' actions more or less offensive than Trump directly attacking John McCain and Humayun Khan's parents?

The thing is, number 3 is basically your opinion.  I know a lot of others share that opinion but it's still just opinion.
No basically about it. That's 100% an opinion which he is entitled to have. But it's not a fact. Not even remotely close to being one.

You yourself have said numerous times that the players should have come up with a better way to protest.  You seem to know the best ways of doing that so do it, some freaking complaining.  If you are truly being oppressed and are a victim of injustices then do something about it.  Don't get pissed at the people that are actually trying to do something.
If I had a platform in which me doing an action for  120 seconds pissed off a bunch of people you think that's what I should do?

Does it make any difference that the flag was made to honor colonists who engaged in peaceful protest, then violent protest, and then violent revolution?

And that when those very first US veterans created the constitution, the emphasis was on limiting the Government's authority to crush non-violent protest?

It seems somewhat arbitrary to decide the flag represents what we think modern vets stand for instead of what we know our orignal vets stood for.

but do it correctly - Trump was wrong i how he delivered his thoughts on sitting during the anthem

can't you acknowledge that ?

because as sure as the NFL players used their 120 seconds of non-violent protests to piss off millions to get their points across, 100% that's exactly what Trump did too

either they're both right in how they did it, or they're both wrong

I say they're both wrong

If I had a platform in which me doing an action for  120 seconds pissed off a bunch of people you think that's what I should do?
I think you should do whatever you feel you need to do in order to get your point across as long as it is legal.  It is your right to do so and you should take advantage of your right.

I'm not sure why it matters.  Why can't someone find all three offensive?
One involves a bunch of 20-something kids with a legitimate cause and the other is someone that he obviously feels / felt was worthy of being CiC of our armed forces, and who said that stuff out of pure spite. It's pretty hugely hypocritical to get all worked up over the former after letting the latter slide with zero comment whatsoever.

Yes, and we all have every right to ##### about how dumb and petty it makes him look. And round and round we go.

If you can't see the issue with the most powerful man in the world urging private businesses to fire employees because he disagrees with their political speech, well...

but do it correctly - Trump was wrong i how he delivered his thoughts on sitting during the anthem

can't you acknowledge that ?

because as sure as the NFL players used their 120 seconds of non-violent protests to piss off millions to get their points across, 100% that's exactly what Trump did too

either they're both right in how they did it, or they're both wrong

I say they're both wrong
I don't like the way Trump does much of anything, but "wrong" is relative here.  There are a fair number of people on both sides of this political argument.

I would prefer Trump didn't get involved, but I also think the NFL shouldn't have allowed it to get to this point.  Trump took advantage of an opportunity and I have a hard time seeing how it isn't going to work out well for him.

ignorant Packers fans have turned their outrage from "players don't respect the flag" to "players are trying to force me to lock arms with someone else at a game"

this is unbelievable 

children are going to throw tantrums when adults teach lessons but.. holy ####.. this is just embarrassing. in a way it's great that these people are being exposed. now we know who can handle actual discourse with the adults and who is going to roll around on the floor, screaming, flapping their arms until someone gives them a woobie.

ignorant Packers fans have turned their outrage from "players don't respect the flag" to "players are trying to force me to lock arms with someone else at a game"

this is unbelievable 

children are going to throw tantrums when adults teach lessons but.. holy ####.. this is just embarrassing. in a way it's great that these people are being exposed. now we know who can handle actual discourse with the adults and who is going to roll around on the floor, screaming, flapping their arms until someone gives them a woobie.
Wisconsin voted for Trump. I'll let you decide if there's a connection in terms of the outrage. 

but is very valuable to me 
That's good.  It's valuable to me too.  The constitution is more valuable to me though and should be for everyone.  Just because something is very valuable to us doesn't always make it right though.  You want to tell everyone that you're offended and that you will boycott them then go right ahead, express your rights man but do not try and tell others what they need to be doing as that is not your right.

I don't like the way Trump does much of anything, but "wrong" is relative here.  There are a fair number of people on both sides of this political argument.

I would prefer Trump didn't get involved, but I also think the NFL shouldn't have allowed it to get to this point.  Trump took advantage of an opportunity and I have a hard time seeing how it isn't going to work out well for him.
You think that blasting away at the NFL on twitter while ACA repeal fails again, Puerto Rico is a disaster, and his guy lost the election in Alabama is going to work out well for him? I don't disagree that this kind of nonsense plays well with the folks that he already has in his pocket, but overall you actually think that this is a good look for him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread