What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

Hold on..

Well, well, well. It looks like we’ve got a little ESPN-on-SI crime.

In response to a report from Jim Trotter of SI.com that 49ers quarterback Alex Smith has been told that Colin Kaepernick will start Sunday at New Orleans regarding of Smith’s health, ESPN producer Seth Markman has posted via Twitter that Smith has informed ESPN’s Trent Dilfer that the veteran quarterback has been told only that Kaepernick will get the first-team practice reps this week.

Per Dilfer (via Markman), Smith says that he still has a chance to start based on how he and Kaepernick perform in practice.

So it’s possible a decision hasn’t been made. And the situation already is taking on a life of its own, which won’t make it any easier for coach Jim Harbaugh to make a decision (if a decision hasn’t been made) and to get his team to support it without doubt or question or second-guessing.
Dilfer was Smith's mentor when he was on the team *chuckle*, so he is tight with Smith.
This is more in line with my PFT tweet, several posts up.
Yeah I read that earlier. What may debunk that a little is that they tried that already this season, and the offense sputtered. Even Harbaugh admitted to doing too much tweak with that one, so I dunno if Bwah is playing the mind games there.

ESPN says Kaepernick is starting.

I had a bunch of BB money in dynasty left for the season, not very much left now. I'm excited about this kid over the next 2-3 years. It won't be as easy as it looked last week but Harbaugh and the Niners are going to do everything they can to allow him to succeed. Seems like the players really took to him.

"After ESPN half-heartedly disputed his report, SI's Jim Trotter reiterated late Wednesday that Alex Smith has been informed by 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh of his demotion in favor of Colin Kaepernick.

Smith apparently told ESPN's Trent Dilfer that Kaepernick would get first-team practice reps, but the job was still open to an in-practice competition. Not the case. "I ... stand behind my report," said Trotter, who's as reliable as they come. "Harbaugh to Alex: 'I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry.'" Kaepernick should be viewed by fantasy owners as a high-upside Week 12 start against the Saints. Smith can be dropped in fantasy leagues."

that was on Rotoworld

ESPN has learned that ESPN's previous report debunking SI.com's report was erroneous, said an ESPN spokesperson.

Source: ESPN

Smith benched again in SF. The writing is on the wall now.
I think so, although I'm not sure this is the right move.
Well, when Harbaugh first got in SF, he and Baalke were set on finding a QB even with Smith there. Smith had a few chances to leave SF and be a starter elsewhere. He flew to MIA, but I read somewhere that they weren't sold on him, and the FA market was soft on Smith. The Peyton dance also spray painted that wall too. What's encouraging is that Harbaugh is doing what he can to find a QB to make this offense insane. He knows Smith's ceiling. He may have had the handcuffs on him the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might seem insane, but in a must-win matchup I'm starting Kaep over Stafford vs. Texans. I need the high upside and Staff just hasn't been providing.

This might seem insane, but in a must-win matchup I'm starting Kaep over Stafford vs. Texans. I need the high upside and Staff just hasn't been providing.
Nope, not insane. The Kapper is going to tear apart the Saints. I'm having a really hard time waiting for Sunday now.

Doesn't seem too insane. I have the same type of decision just with Schaub. I worry something happens and he doesn't start for some odd reason like Harbaugh changes it up cause Kaep doesn't practice perfectly.

wow so hes an instant QB1 this week. who we starting him over?
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a HUGE letdown for everyone (speaking only fantasy-wise). Pat Kirwan had a great point on Moving the Chains today. He said it's likely that the Bears were preparing for a gigantic dose of run, run, pistol, run, run and everything else you can think of that didn't include downfield passing. He wasn't taking anything away from Colin... he just suspected that the Bears didn't think the kid would dare try to pass on them the way he did.So now "it's on tape" as they say. The Saints defense stinks, yes. But Colin won't surprise them now.
this is true but his running would still be gold and he didnt even do that vs the bears. its like tebow last year. if he stinks his floor is still around 20pts cuz of the running. plus its the ####in saints
:goodposting: While it may backfire in real life (though I'm skeptical he would implode vs. New Orleans 'defense'), if he starts and/or plays a significant part of the game, I'd be stunned if he didn't give us a very good fantasy outing.

The 49ers have a .800 winning percentage with Smith at QB under Harbaugh. Way to pick up on the two bad games Smith has had in that timespan though. :thumbup:
:goodposting:It's a gutsy move by Harbaugh mid-season to replace your .800 winning % Super Bowl contending QB. Guess time will tell if it were the right move.As good as Kaep looked, I never thought he'd make this QB switch mid-season.

The 49ers have a .800 winning percentage with Smith at QB under Harbaugh. Way to pick up on the two bad games Smith has had in that timespan though. :thumbup:
:goodposting:It's a gutsy move by Harbaugh mid-season to replace your .800 winning % Super Bowl contending QB. Guess time will tell if it were the right move.As good as Kaep looked, I never thought he'd make this QB switch mid-season.
He made the switch because Akers leg is not what it was last season.

This move is downright Belichickian. Harbaugh continues to prove he's a special type of coach, who is not afraid of being embarrassed or second-guessed. That's rarer than you would think in a league dominated by conventional copycat thinkers.How can you possibly replace the QB who was just named NFC Offensive Player of the Week in his last full game? The guy who "took you to the NFC Championship Game" last year? How? Well, because Harbaugh has balls of STEEL and I love it. He has calculated that the Kapper gives his team some percentage greater likelihood to win it all and he's not afraid of how foolish he would look if this backfires on him. He's going with what he thinks is the right move for this team.The truth is, this team is winning WITH Alex, but not BECAUSE of Alex (note: I did not say we are winning IN SPITE of Alex). When those games come along where things don't go right and we need our QB to be truly special and actually WIN the game for us, Alex is just not in that league. Harbaugh senses that the Kapper can be that guy, and if he pans out...holy cow this team is going to be hard to beat!I haven't been this excited for what's about to come as a Niners fan since the morning of January 29th, 1995.Game on! :football: :excited: :banned: :football: :football: :excited: :popcorn:

Smith interview in the local paper. Still having symptoms. Regardless, a class act and team player
Alex Smith interview on San Francisco 49ers' quarterback dilemmaBy Cam Inman and Tim Kawakami Staff writers - San Jose Mercury NewsPublished: Nov 21, 2012, 2:00 PMUpdated: Nov 21, 2012, 3:39 PMSan Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith (11) gives a high-five to colleague Colin Kaepernick (7) after completing a touchdown pass against the San Diego Chargers in the first half of a preseason game at Candlestick Park, in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012. (Ray Chavez/Staff) -Alex Smith finds himself in familiar territory: Unsure if he's still the 49ers quarterback. Smith spoke with reporters Wednesday for the first time in a week, a span in which post-concussion symptoms returned and thus forced Colin Kaepernick into Smith's role as the 49ers' winning quarterback.Here is what Smith had to say (transcript courtesy of colleague Tim Kawakami):Q: How are you feeling right now—as far as getting cleared to play?SMITH: Still in the process of being cleared to go back out and practice. Going to be out there in the (black) jersey and just start the process again, kind of continue.Q: Do you expect to be cleared?SMITH: I feel good, I feel really good. So yeah, I'm kind of expecting things to go really well. Still those steps to go through, though.Q: But a week ago you said you felt good then, too.SMITH: Yeah, I felt good. Just didn't work out, didn't get cleared. But feeling better, definitely feeling better.Q: Did you experience symptoms over the weekend?SMITH: You know, I tried to push it and went out and practiced and, you know, it just wasn't right. And doctors didn't end up clearing me.Q: Was it a headache?SMITH: I'm not going to get into the symptoms that were going on. Just tried to push it early in the week and still some lingering things.Q: Was the final hurdle getting to a contact practice?SMITH: I know a big deal has been made of that. For me as a quarterback, you get out there, you have to have a little contact with the helmet on and get banged around a little bit. But it's not a huge thing.Q: It never got to that point last week?SMITH: No, we never did that, no.Q: Harbaugh just said it could be a week-to-week decision or maybe even two QBs in a game... Your reaction?SMITH: Any time the next guy steps up and plays well, it's a good thing for the team. Let's not get this wrong. If this were any other position, it's a great thing. Now, does it complicate things for me and Colin, I mean, yeah. The quarterback position gets a lot of attention. A lot's going to get written and talked about, this guy or that. There's only one ball. There's only one guy who can be under center. It's part of the deal. But this is a good thing for this team. This is a good problem. Those are decisions for Coach. It's his position. We just play football.Q: Do you think you're competing with Kaepernick for the job now?SMITH: I feel like I'm trying to get back healthy and go out there and prove that I can play and part of that it just getting cleared. That's kind of where I'm at right now.Q: You're having the best statistical season of your career. Would you expect to be the starter when you're healthy?SMITH: I guess you don't expect anything. I mean, this is the nature of the game. Next guy steps up and plays well, that's part of the deal in this game. Competition is part of it as well. So don't know what's going to happen.Q: Were you surprised Harbaugh left this topic open on Monday and then again today?SMITH: No. Once again, that's his call. Colin played great, stepped up and played really well. On a big stage vs. a good defense. Like I said, it comes with the territory.Q: You said it complicates things with you and Colin? How has that been?SMITH: Just all this stuff. He and I have talked quite a few times since then. In my opinion, if you can't be happy for your teammate's success you're playing the wrong sport—go play tennis or golf or something. That's ridiculous, I think. That doesn't belong in team sports, in my opinion. So, like I said, it's the quarterback position. It gets a lot of attention. We're going to get talked about. But it's important that it doesn't come in here.Q: The 49ers used a high pick to draft Kaepernick and obviously like him a lot. Did you sort of expect something like this might be coming?SMITH: He's a good player, yeah. I knew what he was potentially capable of, for sure. I mean, he's shown it out here on the practice field, he's shown it in the preseason, he's shown it when he's gotten his opportunities. Yeah, that's always the case—high draft pick or not. Ultimately the decision came down to me and my health and was I OK. Didn't feel like it was something to tough through, can't really tough out something like that. Ultimately the doctors didn't clear me.Q: How important is it for a QB to know during the week that he's going to be the starter and the dividing of practice?SMITH: Of reps? The reps are obviously important through the week. I don't think you live and die by them by any means. But yeah, it's a part of the deal. We've always done a good job here of splitting reps up throughout the week, as far as starter and back-up goes. It's part of it. We'll see how it goes this week.Q: Can you reflect on that Saints playoff game—for both teams, is there heightened significance to this game?SMITH: Yeah, no question, they're a hot team, been playing really well the last few weeks, they're on a roll. They get a little chance at revenge, get us back in their place. I think everybody that watched that game remembers it. And certainly us that took part in it—I know that. It was a physical game, it was back and forth, some talking going on out there on the field. I'm sure it's in the back of their heads, I'm sure they remember it and the chance to get us on their turf.Q: They've probably been looking forward to this game for a while.SMITH: Yeah, I knew when the schedule came out it was something I looked at, when we were playing them, and down there at their place. So I'm sure it was the same for them.Q: At the end of 2010, you were in and out of the line-up withTroySmith...SMITH: Yeah.Q: Do you look back on that and maybe that helps you in this situation?SMITH: Yeah, I've been in a few of these, you know? And they're all different. You know, I think the great thing is obviously the character of this locker room. We've got great character in the quarterback room, too. Chance to really kind of be different and set a great example for the team—us. It's not easy, it can be complicated, but this is a good problem for the 49ers, it's a good problem for us as a team. It's not a bad thing. There's only one ball, though. That's what makes it tough, so we'll see how it goes.Q: Were there things that Colin did Monday that were especially impressive to you?SMITH: I think just going out there and, for me, on a big stage, good defense that really has kind of over-powered some offenses the weeks prior, just going out there and attacking was the biggest thing for a young quarterback, sometimes. To get out there and to get timid or not to be aggressive. For him to get out there and really cut it loose, it was a good thing to see.

Smith interview in the local paper. Still having symptoms. Regardless a class act. Team player
Read that today. I always agree Smith is a class act. That's what kept him in SF for so long. He has had great support of the FO and the owners. Jed is one of his biggest fans. But decisions like this are why Jed hired Harbaugh. Even though IMO one of the reasons why he fired Singletary was because of how he treated Smith and the QBs. Harbaugh and Baalke are going to improve the team wherever and whenever. Despite Smith's workmanlike solid play, Vernon Davis wasn't having any impact over the past 4 games. They got Randy Moss, and all he did was stretch the field where Smith wouldn't even see his way. You don't go out and get weapons to not use them. Harbaugh and Baalke know this.

Thank you for posting that, red. I really like the class Alex has consistently displayed as a Niner. He's taken a lot of crap over the years (much of it justified), but no matter what he almost always handles situations with dignity, poise, and says the 'right' things. Kudos to the guy. I hope his career continues to flourish whether it keeps him in SF or leads him elsewhere.

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a HUGE letdown for everyone (speaking only fantasy-wise). Pat Kirwan had a great point on Moving the Chains today. He said it's likely that the Bears were preparing for a gigantic dose of run, run, pistol, run, run and everything else you can think of that didn't include downfield passing. He wasn't taking anything away from Colin... he just suspected that the Bears didn't think the kid would dare try to pass on them the way he did.So now "it's on tape" as they say. The Saints defense stinks, yes. But Colin won't surprise them now.
While that's very likely true, it still doesn't change the fact that Kaepernick was able to make some difficult throws into tight windows, some of which were downfield and while on the run. So while I think a letdown is most certainly possible, I'm definitely not expecting a HUGE letdown, especially considering his rushing ability.

While that's very likely true, it still doesn't change the fact that Kaepernick was able to make some difficult throws into tight windows, some of which were downfield and while on the run. So while I think a letdown is most certainly possible, I'm definitely not expecting a HUGE letdown, especially considering his rushing ability.
:goodposting:

Thank you for posting that, red. I really like the class Alex has consistently displayed as a Niner. He's taken a lot of crap over the years (much of it justified), but no matter what he almost always handles situations with dignity, poise, and says the 'right' things. Kudos to the guy. I hope his career continues to flourish whether it keeps him in SF or leads him elsewhere.
Completely agree. He's a class act all the way. I hope he stays in SF, but will truly wish him the best if he lands with another team next year.

Completely agree. He's a class act all the way. I hope he stays in SF, but will truly wish him the best if he lands with another team next year.
I've said for years Smith should go to another team to start fresh. It's clear even with Harbaugh that SF is not in the cards for Smith. There is too much baggage in his head for he to take it to another level higher than even now. If he stays in SF he'll always be the guy who get's benched for the next guy. Of course this can change over the next few weeks, but we would have to see a huge improvement to keep him, and even then it could be back to square one the next season. That's why Harbaugh is making this move. Harbaugh is not gonna stop finding players. He has been after QBs since he got to SF. I don't think that is ever gonna stop either. Unless Kaep becomes elite, and even then. He wants to be the next Bill Walsh in SF. Walsh always kept his options open, and my guess Harbaugh does this as well.

'GordonGekko said:
Pretty sure Smith ends up in Green Bay next year. McCarthy was the O coordinator for SF the year before he went to GB and Smith was a rookie then. Right now the backup in GB is the underwhelming Graham Harrell. As far as QB gurus are concerned, Holmgren is out in Cleveland and Reid is done in Philly. He can become a high end backup or he can move to one of the few teams that are looking for a stopgap veteran to hold the fort for a year while their high draft pick QB gets their wings wet. The places most likely to let him start will be the places to put him in the same spot he is in right now. Maybe Whisenhunt will take a chance on him and maybe Cleveland decides a B1 and B2 in Weeden and Smith is better than spending a high draft pick on a new QB. I can't see Khan in Jacksonville wanting to tie himself to a retread guy instead of a brand new drafted guy. Green Bay is a stable environment, good fanbase, lots of weapons offensively, low pressure situation where Smith can actually get some more mentoring and would be in a high upside opportunity if Rodgers got hurt. I think Smith will try to find a true starting gig, but will end up in Green Bay when he finds his options dwindling.
I think I owe you an apology. You pretty much called the QB change a while ago.ETA: Smith in GB would be totally ironic. But I'm not gonna call this one crazy.

The thing I like most about Kaep is his ability to extend plays. It is unreal watching him take these long strides away from DEs toward the sideline while looking downfield. None of this was visible last year, and then in the fourth preseason game this year against the Chargers he was suddenly untouchable. Obviously it doesn't translate into fantasy, but it is exciting to watch.

But yeah, I picked him up in every league I play in two weeks ago just in case, but didn't start him against Chicago. Definitely starting him in NO, but keeping a late-starting QB on deck because Harbaugh is one of the most untrustworthy coaches out there. As likely as it is that Kaep will start, it is doubly likely that Harbaugh is playing mind games on NO to get a slightly more than trivial advantage in a regular season game.

Doesn't seem too insane. I have the same type of decision just with Schaub. I worry something happens and he doesn't start for some odd reason like Harbaugh changes it up cause Kaep doesn't practice perfectly.
playing him over rivers. easiest move I have made this season

Thinking the same, might need to drop Rivers. Did you drop him?

On a side note, haven't been on FBG in a while. Miss MoP's posts on RB analysis. MoP, did you end up working for FBG? Those posts were always a must read for me, even when I was a subscriber.

Thinking the same, might need to drop Rivers. Did you drop him?
no i had 2 def so i dropped one of those

Thinking about also benching stafford. Have both smith and kap. on my roster so if Harbaugh pulls a fast one I am ok. Unless they use both guys. Still concerned its a risk. Going against a stacked team for first place so I am looking for upside that I don't think stafford can provide.

I didn't see Mondays game. Was he impressive enough to hold this job long term?

He's getting 4.5 million to back up kaep. not too shabby a gig. But this team is better with kaepernik.

Well, I have to say I'm surprised by the move... but I'll stand behind saying that I've trusted Harbaugh so far.

I picked up Kaep as a flyer just in case.... and now actually have to think about starting him over Dalton. Crazy.

If this is truly it for Alex Smith in SF, I do hope he continues somewhere else. He's a quality guy and it's my belief that had he wound up in a better situation in his early, mallable years, we wouldn't be discussing him the way we are now.

Oh, and I just have to say this: "Oh Kaeptain, my Kaeptain!"

this seems pretty stupid after one good game. time will tell.
Not really. Nothing makes this move permanent- if Kaepernick sucks, Smith is still on the roster ready to resume his duties. Don't try to tell me that this will rattle his confidence, because that ship has long sailed- 49er fans have been calling for his head for years, every major football analyst was labeling him one of the biggest busts ever and comparing him to David Carr, and he played with something crazy like 7 offensive coordinators in his first 7 years. Last year, he finally had a great season and led his team to the NFCCG, and Harbaugh rewarded him by going hard after Peyton Manning and letting Smith test the free agency waters. And Smith responded to that vote of absolutely no confidence by coming back and having another extremely solid season. At this point, being benched so the coaching staff can evaluate his backup is nothing Alex Smith isn't used to. And if the coaching staff, after giving Kaepernick an extended audition, decide that their best chance to win lies with Alex Smith... well, Alex Smith will be right there to step back in and provide the Niners with their best chance to win. Evaluating Kaepernick is a no-risk, no-downside move. While it doesn't provide a downside, it provides plenty of upside. I think we all agree that the Niners offense is potentially more explosive with Kaep taking snaps. Moreover, Kaep was drafted high to be the quarterback of the future (#36 overall), so at some point the coaching staff has to see what they have in him. Smith's deal is essentially a 1-year contract, so if they don't evaluate Kaep in live action, the Niners are essentially flying blind this offseason- do they let Smith go and roll with Kaep, or do they need to keep Smith around for another couple of seasons? At some point, the decision needs to be made. This is the perfect point- they've built up enough of a lead that they aren't risking a playoff spot (although they are risking seeding), Kaep already has a lot of goodwill from the fan base after last week's performance, Smith is still nominally recovering from an injury, Kaep can take some live bullets from playoff-caliber teams so Harbaugh can decide which way to go in the actual playoffs. Plus, it gives his opponents one more thing they have to prepare for. High upside move, little to no downside (Kaep can be replaced at any time, and at the very worst all you're risking is seeding), it seems to me like this is the only smart play available.

The media will hyping Jets-Pats and Pack-Giants as the marquis games.

But the 9ers-Saints will be the best and biggest gamne this week. It is THE game. It will be awesome.

The Saints have a decades long monkey on their back with the 9ers. I don't know if Sunday will kill it but I will take the 2nd year QB in his 2nd start over Smith who managed to provide clutch passing just when his team needed it in the playoffs, going into the Dome, in the biggest game of the week, with the Saints in revenge mode and a comeback towards the playoffs in sight, with a new DC, with a well-loosened New Orleans crowd on the tail of a long holiday weekend, with a late start edging into the evening, the Dome will be howling. Yes, I will take the kid from Nevada in his 2nd start. Smith has the heart, we learned that, but it seems to have gone unappreciated. I want to see what happens when a team decides to properly cover Vern Davis as the Giants did last year in the NFCC. I don't know if the Saints will be that team (they sure let Gonzales run free) but I know this - it will be fun.

ETA: The 9ers are 46-24-2 all time vs the Saints.

That is roughly the historical advantage of USC over Stanford.

The media will hyping Jets-Pats and Pack-Giants as the marquis games.But the 9ers-Saints will be the best and biggest gamne this week. It is THE game. It will be awesome.The Saints have a decades long monkey on their back with the 9ers. I don't know if Sunday will kill it but I will take the 2nd year QB in his 2nd starter over Smith who managed to provide clutch passing just when his team needed it in the playoffs, going into the Dome, in the biggest game of the week, with the Saints in revenge mode and a comeback towards the playoffs in sight, with a new DC, with a well-loosened New Orleans crowd on the tail of a long holiday weekend, with a late start edging into the evening, the Dome will be howling. Yes, I will take the kid from Nevada in his 2nd start. Smith has the heart, we learned that, but it seems to have gone unappreciated. I want to see what happens when a team decides to properly cover Vern Davis as the Giants did last year in the NFCC. I don't know if the Saiunts will be that team (they sure let Gonzales run free) but I know this - it will be fun.
Be careful what you wish for Saints fan.

The media will hyping Jets-Pats and Pack-Giants as the marquis games.But the 9ers-Saints will be the best and biggest gamne this week. It is THE game. It will be awesome.The Saints have a decades long monkey on their back with the 9ers. I don't know if Sunday will kill it but I will take the 2nd year QB in his 2nd starter over Smith who managed to provide clutch passing just when his team needed it in the playoffs, going into the Dome, in the biggest game of the week, with the Saints in revenge mode and a comeback towards the playoffs in sight, with a new DC, with a well-loosened New Orleans crowd on the tail of a long holiday weekend, with a late start edging into the evening, the Dome will be howling. Yes, I will take the kid from Nevada in his 2nd start. Smith has the heart, we learned that, but it seems to have gone unappreciated. I want to see what happens when a team decides to properly cover Vern Davis as the Giants did last year in the NFCC. I don't know if the Saiunts will be that team (they sure let Gonzales run free) but I know this - it will be fun.
Be careful what you wish for Saints fan.
Man, I'm a Saints fan - we've had one wish come true in 45 years.

I picked him up and will be starting him over rg2 AGAINST the drewbrees/ colston,jimmy graham combo. Its tough to sit rg3 after last weeks performance but that was definitely the perfect storm for a qb who only threw 15 passes. I think this is one time when matchups really do matter. I figure IF NO can do well against the tough SF defense that means the sf qb will have a good day trying to keep up. If they do poorly and SF limits brees and sf runs 50 times I will be happy to trade 3 poor performances for 1 poor performance. Matchups some times DO matter and I think this is one of those cases.

Surprise them with accurate throws??

Gotta feel bad for Smith. Dude had really turned his job around, and the truth is he was playing good football...better than at least half the starters in the league. he didn't deserve to get benched.

That said...can't blame Harbaugh if Kap has looked even half as good in practice as he did in that game. Rare case of a very good player getting benched for a great one.

Gotta feel bad for Smith. Dude had really turned his job around, and the truth is he was playing good football...better than at least half the starters in the league. he didn't deserve to get benched.That said...can't blame Harbaugh if Kap has looked even half as good in practice as he did in that game. Rare case of a very good player getting benched for a great one.
'very good' and 'great' have to be hyperbole, right?

Users who are viewing this thread