What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (4 Viewers)

I didn't say any of that but if you want to have a conversation with yourself have at it.
Yeah, well...

You have a guy sitting because he feels like "black people and people of color are oppressed in this country"....he says this in a time where we have had a black, biracial president for 2-terms, 2 black attorney generals and a black secretary of homeland security.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, well...
Correct...I never said oppression doesn't exist simply because we have a black president...He conveniently avoided my question in that same post as well.  Odd right? 

Many of the blacks who are 'oppressed', are oppressed because they are criminals and resist arrest. I didn't hear Kaepernick mention that part. Or the blacks that kill officers. I guess that stuff doesn't bother him.
I'm still wondering who the other "oppressed people of color are"...Don't worry though, he has a plan!

Correct...I never said oppression doesn't exist simply because we have a black president...He conveniently avoided my question in that same post as well.  Odd right? 

I'm still wondering who the other "oppressed people of color are"...Don't worry though, he has a plan!
Hispanics generally are included in the "people of color" category.

San diego has a plan for Krapernick :

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/08/30/chargers-host-28th-annual-salute-military-chargers-49ers-game

He has a right to be a doosh ...I don't agree that it's alright to doosh in front of those who risk their lives for our safety EVERYDAY. Playing a game we all enjoy is all fine and dandy. I love this game we call football. He may as well (though I doubt it). I can't comprehend disrespecting those who protect your family and your right to make $$$$millions$$$$ running around and throwing a football. I can't. Not ever. If that makes me old school and a sheep so be it. No. Not EVER. 

How about 50% black guys raised by two white parents in an affluent area?
Yes, per Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color

The term person of color is used primarily in the United States and Canada to describe any person who is not white.
It is not determined by who raised you or where you were raised. For instance just because Obama was raised by his white mother in Hawaii, that does not exclude him from the "person of color" category.

If you really want to be nice to those who risk their lives to protect this country I think a good starting place would be to stop risking their lives invading, or threatening to invade, every country that looks at us crosswise.

Maybe elect some people who don't march us off to never-ending wars against countries that didn't attack us in the first place?  Or oust those politicians who created the power vacuum that allowed new enemies to flourish?

Those would be good places to start.  But lets keep with the invading and inciting and instead choose to be angry at the guy who didn't stand for the anthem.  YAY TROOPS!

So because he's half black and was raised by white people in an affluent area he's, what?  Not allowed to protest things?
Is America the right target? I mean ...Seriously who as a country has the right answer? Getting better all the time is what we strive for. The flag represents that. Disrespect that really??? What are the alternatives? Honestly? Sure we have a ways to go..yep we do ..will we get there who knows?..Are we trying? I'd say yes. That's just me. WE are a nation moving forward ALMOST always. Who can claim that? A woman may be president and an african american is just leaving. Is this a time to hate our flag or reflect on what was? I think not. It is a time to enjoy the freedoms we are allowed and pitch in on the causes (actual pitching in) we believe in and still respect the flag that allows us to do so.  

This is an annual event for the Chargers and was planned months before the Kaepernick controversy and is not in response to it.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/30/chargers-49ers-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem/

Chargers to 'salute military' vs. 49ers, Kaepernick [...]

The Chargers announced Tuesday that Thursday evening's exhibition against the 49ers will double as the team's 28th-annual Salute to the Military game. It coincides with the presence of Kaepernick, who has sparked a national conversation this preseason for his position not to stand during the national anthem before games, citing a reluctance to recognize a country he perceives as riddled in racial inequality.

The timing of the event, a Chargers spokesman said Thursday, is coincidental.

The team holds a Salute to the Military once every preseason.

"We've been planning on this since the schedule came out," said Bill Johnston, Chargers director of public relations. "It's been several months."

The term person of color is used primarily in the United States and Canada to describe any person who is not white.
Define White. 

There are dark skinned whites, and light skinned blacks. Biracial people have all kinds of pretty skin colors.

When is a white colored skin too light to be considered "black" ??? 

So we REALLY want to be a society that nit picks colors of skin? Isn't that the very definition of racism ?

This is an annual event for the Chargers and was planned months before the Kaepernick controversy and is not in response to it.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/aug/30/chargers-49ers-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem/

Chargers to 'salute military' vs. 49ers, Kaepernick [...]

The Chargers announced Tuesday that Thursday evening's exhibition against the 49ers will double as the team's 28th-annual Salute to the Military game. It coincides with the presence of Kaepernick, who has sparked a national conversation this preseason for his position not to stand during the national anthem before games, citing a reluctance to recognize a country he perceives as riddled in racial inequality.

The timing of the event, a Chargers spokesman said Thursday, is coincidental.

The team holds a Salute to the Military once every preseason.

"We've been planning on this since the schedule came out," said Bill Johnston, Chargers director of public relations. "It's been several months."
I know...duh ...live here ..lol I love the timing though...hate on me in 5.. 4...3.. 2.. 1..

Define White

There are dark skinned whites, and light skinned blacks. Biracial people have all kinds of pretty skin colors.

So we REALLY want to be a society that nit picks colors of skin? Isn't that the very definition of racism ?
Per the Wiki definition, being white it is not based on one's exact skin color:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people

White people is a racial classification specifier, used for people of Europid ancestry, with the exact implications dependent on context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vick did his time and said all the right things and he was also more NFL relevant, CK is not.  He's done IMO
???  This makes no sense to me.  Vick committed awful crimes and went to jail, Kaep did not.  Vick seemed to have learned from his mistakes and did say all the right things.  When Kaep has been asked to explain himself I think he had done a good job.  Kaep took his team to the SB just a few years ago and has all the athletic ability that Vick had.  

I had no problem with Vick returning to the NFL and think that people deserve better opportunities after serving time for their crimes.  Kaep did nothing wrong.  It seems to me that all the people getting upset about him disrespecting all of those who have given their lives for the flag are the same people who couldn't wait to deploy our troops to the ME.

Is America the right target? I mean ...Seriously who as a country has the right answer? Getting better all the time is what we strive for. The flag represents that. Disrespect that really??? What are the alternatives? Honestly? Sure we have a ways to go..yep we do ..will we get there who knows?..Are we trying? I'd say yes. That's just me. WE are a nation moving forward ALMOST always. Who can claim that? A woman may be president and an african american is just leaving. Is this a time to hate our flag or reflect on what was? I think not. It is a time to enjoy the freedoms we are allowed and pitch in on the causes (actual pitching in) we believe in and still respect the flag that allows us to do so.  
There is a difference between not standing for as a statement about the distance we still have to travel and "hating on".  And I think that it is fair to say that he was "pitching in" for a cause he believes in.

Once again I say that not standing for the anthem is not disrespect.  When people do it out of rote behavior is that truly respecting it?  How many do you see standing with their hats on?  Or wearing items with the flag on it?  You can call it a difference of degrees but, if you believe Kaepernick was being disrespectful, how can you not think all those others are also being disrespectful?

It amazes me that this has struck so many in such a deeply personal way.  I wonder if it is really so much about respect for the anthem or if it is tinged with the discomfort with the conversation he is trying to initiate.

I am almost 99.99% positive that every NFL head coach and organization has specific team rules about how you stand for the national anthem and even they way the team is expected to stand and look.

What Kap did was insubordination. Even if you agree with why he did it....forget all that. I am sure he broke a specific team rule.

He could simply give a presser he is displeased with the continued oppression of black people in this country instead of making a spectacle of himself and his team.

People are not talking about...oh he is right we need to fix this problem. Everyone is talking about how big of ### he is. And others saying well it is his right. I have both sides of the coin.

Again.....his right to do it.  But wow...bad form, bad decision and career suicide. If he were sure of himself and his place on the team......I seriously doubt he ever does this. But he is hanging on and on the way out......if feels like a desperate attempt....at what I am not sure.

Team leader? Nope he is an Insubordinate fool and lost his teammates with this idiotic political display. He could have done other things....like donating $$$ to active political groups fighting against oppression, volunteering more in poverty ridden communities and talking to inner city youth. But not standing for the flag? You think you're going to make a difference doing something like that?

He could use his NFL star power in far more productive ways, instead of disrespecting his teammates, coaches and employer. Not even talking about the flag. He disrespected all those around him who gave him the opporutnity to play a child's game for millions of dollars. 

Chaka said:
There is a difference between not standing for as a statement about the distance we still have to travel and "hating on".  And I think that it is fair to say that he was "pitching in" for a cause he believes in.

Once again I say that not standing for the anthem is not disrespect.  When people do it out of rote behavior is that truly respecting it?  How many do you see standing with their hats on?  Or wearing items with the flag on it?  You can call it a difference of degrees but, if you believe Kaepernick was being disrespectful, how can you not think all those others are also being disrespectful?

It amazes me that this has struck so many in such a deeply personal way.  I wonder if it is really so much about respect for the anthem or if it is tinged with the discomfort with the conversation he is trying to initiate.
What gives you the impression anyone is experiencing "discomfort with the conversation he is trying to initiate"?  And who said I don't get upset with other people not showing the flag and anthem it's proper respect.  Who said that once in this thread?  Noone is stating they are upset with Kap but thinks it's ok that the guy sitting next to them at the Giants game is ok to do it.  It drives me nuts when I see people talking on their cellphones during the anthem or walking over to get another hot dog instead of stopping, turning toward the flag and at least standing and showing respect.  

There is enough to debate in this thread, let's not bring flat out false accusations into this.

I am almost 99.99% positive that every NFL head coach and organization has specific team rules about how you stand for the national anthem and even they way the team is expected to stand and look.

What Kap did was insubordination. Even if you agree with why he did it....forget all that. I am sure he broke a specific team rule.

He could simply give a presser he is displeased with the continued oppression of black people in this country instead of making a spectacle of himself and his team.

People are not talking about...oh he is right we need to fix this problem. Everyone is talking about how big of ### he is. And others saying well it is his right. I have both sides of the coin.

Again.....his right to do it.  But wow...bad form, bad decision and career suicide. If he were sure of himself and his place on the team......I seriously doubt he ever does this. But he is hanging on and on the way out......if feels like a desperate attempt....at what I am not sure.

Team leader? Nope he is an Insubordinate fool and lost his teammates with this idiotic political display. He could have done other things....like donating $$$ to active political groups fighting against oppression, volunteering more in poverty ridden communities and talking to inner city youth. But not standing for the flag? You think you're going to make a difference doing something like that?

He could use his NFL star power in far more productive ways, instead of disrespecting his teammates, coaches and employer. Not even talking about the flag. He disrespected all those around him who gave him the opporutnity to play a child's game for millions of dollars. 
I don't think he has any NFL star power.

What gives you the impression anyone is experiencing "discomfort with the conversation he is trying to initiate"?  And who said I don't get upset with other people not showing the flag and anthem it's proper respect.  Who said that once in this thread?  Noone is stating they are upset with Kap but thinks it's ok that the guy sitting next to them at the Giants game is ok to do it.  It drives me nuts when I see people talking on their cellphones during the anthem or walking over to get another hot dog instead of stopping, turning toward the flag and at least standing and showing respect.  

There is enough to debate in this thread, let's not bring flat out false accusations into this.
Funny thing is that I considered specifically mentioning you as someone who probably would have a problem with baseball cap wearing and the like, but I held off because the post wasn't directed at any specific poster.  So please don't take it personally.  Calling it a false accusation does not make sense either.  Clearly many people (I would contend "most people" but you probably disagree) never give a second thought to why they stand for the ovation and do it purely out of rote memorization and pack mentality.  Do you consider them to be honoring and respectful?

Looks like Kaep will be getting the start tonight in San Diego, one of our nation's great military towns, on Military Appreciation Night

Seriously, you couldn't script this any better. 

I understand that he has been vocal about his intent not being to disrespect those who have served, but I dont see tonight playing out well for him. 

If you thought the boos for Eli were loud when he made his debut at the Q....

Stealthycat said:
Define White. 

:shrug:

You make the claim that he isn't a person of color and his opinion is therefore invalid.  Someone points out he falls within that definition and now skin color doesn't matter?

Did you mean to post this Sunday and just forgot to hit Submit reply?

Hopefully, today is the last time he ever puts on an NFL jersey.

Congrats on exercising your right to be unemployed, Colin!

Jason Whitlock knows things and what he said about what's Lebron James is doing for the African American communities in Acron is something that is REAL and BENEFICIAL.  He called CK uninformed and just trying to be popular and isn't really doing anything of substance.

Jason Whitlock knows things and what he said about what's Lebron James is doing for the African American communities in Acron is something that is REAL and BENEFICIAL.  He called CK uninformed and just trying to be popular and isn't really doing anything of substance.
I think it's pretty clear now.  He is just a weak minded kid being told what to do and trying to fit in. I expect he'll cry racism after he's cut as well before fading off into bankruptcy 

Hopefully, today is the last time he ever puts on an NFL jersey.

Congrats on exercising your right to be unemployed, Colin!
They need a nice wide-angle shot of the giant flag and military personnel on the field, the Niners team and San Diego fans standing in the background as they do the national anthem, and Kaepernick sit-moping.  There should be plenty of opportunity to get a good picture.

Now people are outraged about the socks he wears at practice. You can't make this stuff up.
Mostly police I suspect as his socks are covered with pigs in police hats.  I imagine it would put a strain on the Niners' relationship with a lot of the officers that work the games.

Users who are viewing this thread