What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Bill Murray's signature role? (1 Viewer)

What say you...

• Meatballs

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Caddyshack

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • Stripes

Votes: 53 18.4%
  • Tootsie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scrooged

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Ghostbusters

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • What about Bob?

• Groundhog day

Votes: 77 26.7%
  • Lost in Translation

• Other

• Total voters
Went with Caddyshack.  I have a tough time picking his #2 role between Stripes, Kingpin, and Ghostbusters.  I love the movie Groundhog Day but think Murray was better in his other movie roles.   

When I think of Caddyshack, I think of Murray even though Chase, Knight, and Rodney had bigger roles that they killed.  Ted Knight was absolutely awesome. 

***Super Official Jayrod Signature Bill Murray Movie Rankings*** 

n/a - Lost in Translation - I've never seen this

11. Tootsie - Funny bit part, but not enough for consideration.  Not really a signature role in any way either.

10. Quick Change - pretty funny movie, but more situational comedy than Murray's skill.  Randy Quaid is actually funnier than Murray at times in this one.

9. Meatballs - he did a great job in this, but not even close to a signature role

8. Scrooged - I personally think this movie is a bit underrated, but it doesn't utilize his delivery skills as well as some of the others.  More of a formula movie than quintessential Murray.

7. Caddyshack - Spackler was a great character, but too small of a role and kinda more goofy than witty (where his quick witty lines are what make him iconic, IMO).  I never think of Caddyshack first when thinking of Murray.  He was very funny, but it is really a departure from his normal leading comedic roles.

6. The Man Who Knew Too Little - it's corny and ridiculous, but his childlike demeanor throughout this movie is great.  I know some will roast me for putting this over Caddyshack (which I consider a far better movie), but I think this is more of a signature role for Murray.

5. Kingpin - Awesome role.  He has such a small part, though and it is a bit of an oddball character, I just can't put it any higher due to his limited role.

4. What about Bob? - I love, love, love this movie.  One of my personal favorites.  But I went with it this low because half of the comedy isn't just him, but Dr. Marvin's reactions to Bob.

3. Stripes - Half of a great film with Murray at his best, but downgraded a bit due to a great ensemble cast.  The second half knocks this movie down as well as it just isn't that funny.

2. Ghostbusters - Strong contender here.  His lines are epic throughout the entire movie.  He has a strong supporting cast as well, which make this a bit more of an ensemble type movie and was really the only reason I knocked it down to #2.

1. Groundhog day - This was my vote.  So perfect.  He's funny, witty, smart-alecy Murray throughout the movie with that touch of heart-warming acting that puts him in the elite upper tier of comedic actors (ala Steve Martin & Robin Williams).  When children for generations to come ask me who Bill Murray was, I will simply say, "The guy in Groundhog Day."

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved him in Royal Tennebaums. That beginning where the kid is color blind but has great hearing and Murray deadpans his response without raising his voice gets me laughing every time. 

That said, Groundhog Day is my choice. 

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
Rushmore?   I see a lot of love for this film but never viewed it.
Regardless of what a certain someone around these parts thinks about Wes Anderson, Rushmore is a great movie.  Murray was fantastic in this and it was my "other" vote.  Basically brought everything he's capable of together(witty repartee, some physical comedy, snark, straight dramatic acting chops) in one role without it being a "chick flick", a la Lost in Translation (which was also a great movie that he was nails in).

If you are a Murray fan, watch Rushmore. 

GROOT said:
It's Meatballs. When you ask who are the other actors in that film...blank.
Err, what about Peter Hume, aka as "The Stomach", the hot dog eating champ from the other camp?

Well I guess not, but true story...he was my sociology teacher in high school. Interesting dude besides being in meatballs, played Canadian football and was friends with John Candy and Rush. Sweated like a mofo in class... It was his first year as a teacher.

Well I guess not, but true story...he was my sociology teacher in high school. Interesting dude besides being in meatballs, played Canadian football and was friends with John Candy and Rush. Sweated like a mofo in class... It was his first year as a teacher.
Rules.  How many hot dogs randomly showed up on his desk?

As I go thru these...this was the one where the outcome surprised me most.  I thought Groundhog Day would run away with this...

Went with Caddyshack.  I have a tough time picking his #2 role between Stripes, Kingpin, and Ghostbusters.  I love the movie Groundhog Day but think Murray was better in his other movie roles.   

When I think of Caddyshack, I think of Murray even though Chase, Knight, and Rodney had bigger roles that they killed.  Ted Knight was absolutely awesome. 
That's the thing. Surrounded by solid talent he still stood out. And he will always have that going for him.

But didn’t everybody?  I love Caddyshack as much as the next guy, but I don’t think any one talent stood above the others.  Everyone rocked.
But we are not grading these other guys. It's like dimishing Alvin Kamara because he happens to play on a great offense. 

I agree with this, and in a way I think the comparatively short nature of the role sets it apart from the rest. He basically steals (makes) a classic film in what, 10 minutes of screen time? And he improvised the whole thing? Yeah.
Easy. Chevy and Dangerfield are both better here. 

Regardless of what a certain someone around these parts thinks about Wes Anderson, Rushmore is a great movie.  Murray was fantastic in this and it was my "other" vote.  Basically brought everything he's capable of together(witty repartee, some physical comedy, snark, straight dramatic acting chops) in one role without it being a "chick flick", a la Lost in Translation (which was also a great movie that he was nails in).

If you are a Murray fan, watch Rushmore. 
I didn't like Rushmore or Lost In Translation. 

Neither comes close to Murray's best work as reflected in this poll.

As I go thru these...this was the one where the outcome surprised me most.  I thought Groundhog Day would run away with this...
I was taken aback when it wasn't the case when I just made my choice.  Thinking about it for a few seconds I (kinda) get it.  Maybe it's a generational thing and this bored is on the older side.  He made an already great move even better in Caddyshack.  Memorable performance, but he's just one of many that come to mind when I think of that movie.  With Groundhog Day he made what otherwise would have been a dud into a classic.  And he's the only thing you think of when someone says that movie.  Okay, fine - Ned Ryerson too.

I went with Meatballs only because the "It just doesn't matter" monologue/pep talk is one of the best in cinematic history. Right up there with Rosie O'Donnell's monologue in "Beautiful Girls".

"Even if we play so far over our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days..."

Caddyshack isn't that good. It's true. 

Also, he doesn't interact with anyone in it. He's a B story that can be lifted out of the film entirely. 

Agree Future Champs above; Groundhog Day is a great film, but, he's All Murray in Ghostbusters. 

Although, a soft spot for the only film he directed: Quick Change. That might be quintessential Murray, directing himself in one of the most under appreciated comedies ever. 
This is not true.  Caddyshack is one of the great comedies of all time. If you have ever worked at a golf course it just nails the whole thing and has some just epic performances.  Easily one of the best 5 comedies of all time.  

Caddyshack isn't that good. It's true. 

Also, he doesn't interact with anyone in it. He's a B story that can be lifted out of the film entirely. 

Agree Future Champs above; Groundhog Day is a great film, but, he's All Murray in Ghostbusters. 

Although, a soft spot for the only film he directed: Quick Change. That might be quintessential Murray, directing himself in one of the most under appreciated comedies ever. 
Disagree: Caddyshack, but you are right about the Murray role.  But as far as B roles go...it is a classic.

Agree: Quick Change.  I actually watched this movie for the first time in maybe 20 years about a year ago.  My first exposure to Tony Shaloub and while the humor is a little dated, held up surprisingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread