What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans IDPs (5 Viewers)

don't grab Orr. There are gripes about everyone. Tye Smith has been their the sky is falling fill in at corner so it's probably gonna get there. They rrrrrrrreally need Fulton to step up or to sign someone.

A lot of meh at OLB has many concerned.

Backup ILBs have practiced a bunch and Cale Garrett and the too small David Long Jr have both done well. This is what the Titans do and don't change, adjust, improve. They're very good at finding/drafting ILBs and not at OLBs. Even when you think of their best OLB the last 10-15 years or so, it's Derrick Morgan and he was a DE.

They're usable. They do that part well in that this guy can cover the pass well and that guy can rush well. Finding one that does both well? not so much

There hasn't been a peep about Jayon Brown or Evans playing OLB which would make this the first camp that hasn't been a discussion. Give it time.

Joshua Smith seems to have just had bad luck. Getting Covid ya can't really stay in top shape and yet you're not making a team in poor shape. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets himself together and joins the PS midseason but the timing for this UDFA was awful. There were a lot of people that loved this kid's athleticism but thought he needed more coaching. Also, with little at OLB, there's gonna be a steady interest from the Titans if some other team doesn't scoop him up. 

Some good DL thoughts on Jack Crawford holding up, being stout, absorbing two linemen etc. Nothing I've seen on sacks or pressure. With good OLBs this would be fine as they'd come swooping in and be thankful he held up. Without, it's pretty questionable. This is a theme of sorts as the Titans have used two NTs from last year all along the DL. Ivey and Mack are both brutes like good luck moving them and they're gonna fight ya if you try but they're not getting pressure. I don't like the idea of Daquan at nose with Casey gone. Yeah he played many snaps there last year, but I think they're too content with holding the fort. He can apply some pressure and at least be a force to be dealt with as an end. It feels like they're setting everything up for Simmons to have to put a cape on and save the day.

Everyone has been wrong to claim Adoree and Butler don't want to tackle or have any issues whatsoever. They've been fine. Still though, I see writers taking a quote from some time ago and plugging it in now and saying the Titans won't be able to stop outside runs. I understand the leap here, but if an OLB is blockable that's enough of a problem. I don't think the CBs are part of the issue with the run game forecast.

Coming full circle, the Titans don't play 3-4 half as much as people think. My pet peeve is how much time we waste on this 'base D' stuff when a team doesn't even play it as often as most everyone thinks when they hear base D. The Titans play a lot of nickel and three safety sets and they play one DL wayyyy more than the average fan probably thinks.

Today it feels like they lost way more than they added this offseason and they were a stout D the last few years. 

Shane Bowen has been calling the D not Haslett or Vrabel. 

I get this coach in training vibe

LaFleur stunk in TEN but there are egos and...idk that's the vibe I get with Bowen

The Titans have traditionally only kept one NT and had one on stand by unless injuries force a change. Last year Isaiah Mack was a beast in camp and got the job (but didn't play many snaps due to Casey/Simmons combo) then lost it midseason to Joey Ivey (sp?) This year he beat out Joey but I expect the latter to be protected on PS

Still nothing good on Fulton. I think we'll see subs often at the third CB spot and Vaccaro or Hooker over the slot too

I totally expect the Titans to claim some OLB (or two!) and CB. 

Beasley still hasn't practiced and people are saying how many months since he played. His heart does seem to be in being a pastor and the religion angle makes everyone uncomfortable because it's a great reason but he's gotta practice if he expects to play and with full determination and dedication.

Still Clowney stuff...I was sick of Clowney updates when he was on the Texans and it almost feels like he's a Titan by the amount of (not) news I've read about him this offseason. The Titans do have 20mil available but they always keep 15-20 free. They do this, profit-wise in a smaller market and former Titans pres said they'd only close that gap if there was some player that could put them over the top and ownership agreed. He's been gone for months, but I gotta figure it's still the rule. So this will be the Titans owner wondering "do we really need to break our hard rule here?" THEN this would mean Clowney "has to" perform like a star or JRob or Vrabel could make the owner furious. The Titans don't really have anyone left to cut to free up money to not enter this 'mess with my profits' territory so I don't think that's an option. Where does Covid and zero to few fans at games come in here too? Their income will be less, for sure. Anyway....there is a lot to the notion of them adding Clowney

D'Andre Walker cut

sat injured for a year, 5th round pick they loved, expected to push starters and by all accounts did that in camp so....Vrabel

We'll probably be at around 90LB transactions since Vrabel was hired after today's cuts

Insanity

Soooo ESPN has the Titans signing Clowney. I hope he doesn't get injured carrying all that $

Waking up, it seems everyone is sure Clowney is a Titan but they're not believing it til he signs on the dotted line.

IDP folks, re- Beasley now. If he and Landry are essentially "the same player" then how does their playing time pan out? 

Landry's "just a speed rusher but whew fast" looked awfully limited at times the last couple years. Could it be more effective with Clowney getting an offense's attention? Or are we still in the "use other moves" problem?

I don't think Jackson is anything more than temporary but it sure shows ya how I said Fulton looks like a bust.

There's plenty of time to develop and all but .....

@Bri

any insight on who replaces Brown?
Sorry so late. Yeah Brown and Compton. 

They're weak in coverage (seeing it now Burton) so I expect the three safety set to be more common once Vaccarro is comfortably back from injury and they can practice it enough- week or two.

Long was almost cut and in the doghouse. Compton has been cut at least three times. It rrrreally frustrates Vrabel that they can't cover.

Evans was playing outside some before Brown got hurt and Compton was getting time. Brown and Evans cheated to Compton's zone and it was doable. 

Woodyard considered and turned down their ...not offer but discussion to come back.  If the right ILB gets cut or placed on a PS by another team they're likely to scoop that guy up. 

Landry had two snaps at ILB a couple weeks back and got steamrolled by the run and faked out by a simple jab step on a route. He's definitely not an option. 

Brown to IR marked the 100th LB transaction since Vrabel was hired. He can't do his former position. With Brown a ufa, their unit looks scary thing for next year. It's all him. He liked Finch, Garrett, Correa...several but quit on them. Add above mentioned guys cut and returning, the Titans gotta do something with Vrabel's evaluation of LBs. Maybe maybe the solution is to spend on FAs and draft highly and just don't count on development. 100 transactions in a few years is crazy

Rashaan is my LB2 in dynasty and I just expected more production out of him this year. I was considering trading him on name value and the fact he’s still young but if Jayon leaves town he might soak up more tackles and such. Is holding Evans probably the right move, Bri?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rashaan is my LB2 in dynasty and I just expected more production out of him this year. I was considering trading him on name value and the fact he’s still young but if Jayon leaves town he might soak up more tackles and such. Is holding Evans probably the right move, Bri?
I'm so sorry I didn't see this. Please tag or message me.

Six months later...

I think the Titans stink at developing LBs under Vrabel. Night n day difference between Lebeau and now.

Rashaan is one of the better ILB talents I've ever seen. He did it all and has speed. I never thought Lewis Willis type superstar but automatic 10 year contract, special rock solid player. He and Shariff Finch had near 90 PFF rating for the 2nd half of their rookie season. 

Vrabel instilled his bend but don't break zone that sends speedy WRs to Evans and Jayons spot as if they can cover them. Morgan and Orakpo retired and they haven't got any consistent pressure or play from outside ever since. They've had a rotation of NTs and they can't keep the OL out of Evans' way. 

Evans can play OLB and has done it plenty of times in camp but rarely in the regular season. They curiously drafted an ILB that blitzed often, covered, and looks like an OLB lined up inside in a weird college-y tricky setup.

Evans and Jayon can cover most TEs and Byard should be for the elite. Vrabel doesn't do this. 

Vrabel makes these guys that hunt or attack, sit back and think. It's bad and he hires more coaches to teach it every year rather than change. It's classic prob where a guy can't coach his position but ummm welcome Jim Schwartz. If he does help with the LBs as advertised then we have six LB coaches plus Vrabel.

Evans will probably have a down year in 2021 and then rock with a new team in 2022. I'm hoping Schwartz can fix the D but Vrabel looms so large it seems impossible. Still though, he's as sound a LB as you can get. He'll be a steal for some team next year

Banking on rookies and a major overhaul seems scary but their D was awful. Few seem to notice how bad they were despite one of the better offenses ever and Henry giving the D so much time to rest and be fresh.

Both rookie CBs should start and KJ probably gets cut although he knows he's on thin ice so maybe he steps up.

Depending on the opponent, the Titans have played a three safety set for 8+ years now. Both rookies are supposedly capable of covering the slot and playing safety. I think one wins an outside job while one gets that one.

It saves a roster spot if the guy can do that.

Hooker is a rock but he doesn't have elite speed. He's a big improvement over Vaccaro just because Vaccaro was awful allowing around 29th most yards to his side.

The Titans would love to NOT play two deep safety but instead let Byard be the star he is and freelance. Until they shore up what's in front of him and develop a S with wheels, he won't be allowed to. They need him as an outfielder. Also, years ago, Byard has matched up on elite WRs and TEs in an "I dare you to throw it" way. He can cover anyone for a few plays a game; probably not a full game, but it's so fun for a few plays. Anyway, ramble...Byard is probably shoring up one side of two deep and not producing the stats he's capable of. I'm hoping Fulton and the rookies can allow him freedom in 2022

Brady Breeze is all hustle and fire and feedback I hear is how much people love to watch him already. However he was toast a few times today and better learn the NFL tricks QBs and WRs pull asap. It's minicamp it's minicamp....

Jenkins looks fired up and well received and a new man. Molden unspecial. Naquan has em anxious to get pads on to see how he'll do

What did y'all think of Monty Rice? He looks like an OLB playing ILB to me and I can't shake that watching his highlights. He's standing up often charging rushing the passer. The OL is ready for it, so he shows some rush moves and I'm...wait a second what just happened

What did y'all think of Monty Rice? He looks like an OLB playing ILB to me and I can't shake that watching his highlights. He's standing up often charging rushing the passer. The OL is ready for it, so he shows some rush moves and I'm...wait a second what just happened
The FBG eval is that he will take over for Evans if/when he moves on as a run stopping MLB.  For IDP FF he has a ways to go before he is in the conversation for rostering.  

Gally said:
The FBG eval is that he will take over for Evans if/when he moves on as a run stopping MLB.  For IDP FF he has a ways to go before he is in the conversation for rostering.  
Yeah Brown and Evans are free agents in 2022

First padded practice brings a summary of spring and without pads, will they produce- finally a lot of good reports today.

Simon jumped right in to first string and looked strong.

"Weaver has done well in the run game, have we seen him get to the QB?" That's an ouch quote.

Rice has done very well, coachable with mistakes not repeated.

After Tart was sort of with the starters and starting expectations, Murchison stood out as upping his game. 

The corners have all had good days and more bad. It's gonna be hard to evaluate them going against this group. Mabin is cut, for sure, always the guy that's toasted. The Titans have surprising depth at WR for a change. Borders and Jenkins have been the most impressive. Borders is to be the 4th CB or savior if a young guy messes up. I only know of Fulton having a great day yesterday when Farley first showed.

A lot of talk of Molden's awareness and Hooker looking far better. Remember Byard is an all pro if he can freelance and they can run three S set which they haven't been able to do, so Molden has a bit more weight to his game than it might seem. Also, if he can cover the TE, Byard isn't. For now though, he's a backup or sub and maybe that's a midseason wrinkle after he gets comfy.

Julio and AB probably won't do a lot of team drills is a frustrating common report I don't like to hear/read. I don't believe it and am waiting to see. 

I guess the biggest development is Tart. He caught Evans from behind and had everyone boasting. He's a beastly NT that didn't do much as NTs do, but if he can become a presence, the Titans might have a DL for a change. Also noteworthy, the Titans have been bringing in Cs for tryouts. They adored Brewer and Munyer last year and found two gem UDFAs. Is Tart destroying the Cs or are they just not good? The twist here could be Tart is just beating up UDFAs

Think nothing of defensive depth chart. Rookies are always last like that under Vrabel.

Molden's been fine, getting his feet wet, blending in. 

Farley isn't full speed and full hitting and all that. He's there but needs time.

Naquan should be a good backup DL. A lot of good tough quotes, nice udfa find. Funny after daquan to replace w Naquan.

Rice is like a lot of rookie LBs, so much to learn and adjust. No idea til he gets comfy and stops thinking so much.

Weaver gets mentioned for run stopping but the Titans need him to be a pass rusher mostly. They were working on exploding and keeping the blocker arm's length, not going into him. Dude has long arms, like woah. 

Jackson was a 7th rounder that had to play and looked like all hustle n heart no skill. That's totally fine for a rookie but there's some good reports about him being better this camp.

Borders came on last year. He had a bad game, a couple eh, and then some real good ones. He's having a real good camp. He's next man up or starting over Farley.

Fulton seems like a bad pick to me. Better this summer but good then bad days over n over. Ya don't take development guys in the second. He's got time and they need him so big focus on him to come through and start.

Landry being forced to not use a speed move all summer was a great move, should've happened years ago.

Nothing bad about Brown or Evans. Reporters pick at them so I'm assuming they're doing well. One radio host said Evans looks like a 7 8 year veteran leading everyone and making plays. I still think he's a great free agent add for some team next year but am hopeful he hits his potential in TEN.

A lot of good reports on Hooker. He's very comfy this year and should be improved in season.

Another Farley getting some love as a backup S but we all know it's the rookie. Cruik might not make it or he's first cut or somesuch. He just hasn't become anything more than a ST guy

Jackson was a 7th rounder that had to play and looked like all hustle n heart no skill. That's totally fine for a rookie but there's some good reports about him being better this camp.

Borders came on last year. He had a bad game, a couple eh, and then some real good ones. He's having a real good camp. He's next man up or starting over Farley.

Fulton seems like a bad pick to me. Better this summer but good then bad days over n over. Ya don't take development guys in the second. He's got time and they need him so big focus on him to come through and start.

Landry being forced to not use a speed move all summer was a great move, should've happened years ago.

Nothing bad about Brown or Evans. Reporters pick at them so I'm assuming they're doing well. One radio host said Evans looks like a 7 8 year veteran leading everyone and making plays. I still think he's a great free agent add for some team next year but am hopeful he hits his potential in TEN.

A lot of good reports on Hooker. He's very comfy this year and should be improved in season.

Another Farley getting some love as a backup S but we all know it's the rookie. Cruik might not make it or he's first cut or somesuch. He just hasn't become anything more than a ST guy

Nothing on Simmons must mean he is just his usual great self?

Breon Borders and Jackson haven't been beaten out yet. I'd be real careful with Titans CBs for IDP.

Molden was supposed to allow them to play three S set again. The goal was to get Byard back to freelancing, read n react etc and not just be a two deep S. That Molden is turning out to be a playmaker is really interesting. I wish they still had Pees or Lebeau.

I think Jenkins is going to appear to be a shutdown corner this year. Why throw at him when you see the other options?

Any reason to keep David Long? Have him on my cut list and haven’t read anything on him starting.

16 team - we start around 50 LB’s each week.

@Bri

Any reason to keep David Long? Have him on my cut list and haven’t read anything on him starting.

16 team - we start around 50 LB’s each week.

@Bri
He doesn't start.

He's gotten better. I don't much like him because he plays small. A LB can be small but imo you can't play like you are. He has his share of fans though. I am more of an outlier here.

As a rookie, Jayon learned all four spots and that was how it was done. Next year, new staff, Evans had to master run D before pass D. Evans got it altogether about midseason and rocked the second half of rookie year. Monty Rice seems to be following Evans' path. 

The Titans have had more than 120 LB transactions since Vrabel became coach. I am not sure this is the way to do it but ol Schwartz is helping and advising now so...

Anywho, I think Rice is next man up not Long if Jayon or Evans goes down. Both are free agents in 2022, so I think getting the rook ready for his role is a sort of extra task they plan on.

Rice can rush the passer. He's got moves and excellent vision to dive laterally if need be. He wasn't that great at coverage in college so idk if they have their hands full teaching him. I don't think I'd want Rice or Long.

Rashad Weaver seems to be the one to get on the Titans. He may have a suspension coming but otherwise he and Teair Tart have been the talk of camp. Weaver had a terrific week one and in week two they kinda pushed it too much and had him inside after some more success outside. He's too small there and it was absurd but he's such a football player he didn't do that bad at all. 

There is no spot for Weaver with Landry opposite Dupree and Simon a key sub, but yet he keeps making plays. I'd grab him and sit on him in FF because eventually guys like that play. 

Roberson is listed as Landry's backup but he can't cover so I'm not buying that. I think he could get cut and go to PS. Others disagree with me and think the rest he got this summer shows faith in him. My rebuttal is they only keep so many OLBs so, we'll see.

If anyone has IDP dynasty drafts- I'd strongly consider Rashad Weaver and Molden....and then Rice.

Don't forget Rice likely starting next year.

Also, I strongly think Evans thrives in another system. Maybe a post-it to remember to trade for him before your deadline? He's an elite athlete that I believe is misused sitting in a zone so often. He's a beast that needs to feast

Amani Hooker to IR

McDougal is his replacement although Molden will continue his S/CB role and probably spell McDougal some more than he would have Hooker

Some updates-

Fulton looks outstanding. I don't know how he went from slow, confused, falling for every fake to holy cow so quickly but he did. He's allowed three catches over three games for 24 yards. 

He's smothering like how does he not get a PI that close all the time. It's fantastic.

I have no injury update.

JackRabbit is all hustle and I appreciate him. It was a highly questionable move to go for an older CB but he's all heart n hustle.

Jayon was injured and Rice didn't play. Active, down a guy, he had zero snaps.

Cruikshank has looked good for two weeks or week and a half now. The special teams guy...he evens lays some wood too.

Rashad Weaver broke his leg so he's done. I've been very impressed with his explosion and use of 3-4 moves. 

Adeniyi has been fierce. Dupree hasn't done much. Landry still only uses a speed rush and ...he's been a real pleasant surprise.

Something has to give with OLBs. Too much patience for Dupree and Landry. Denico and Simmons get the whole OL sometimes with a TE left to deal with either OLB. They still need pressure and it's hurting them.

Long and Evans and Jayon are still in the worst position so WRs run right to them and make catches. Titans zone D was 31st before last game. A LB can't cover a WR and it can't be that easy. 

Something has to give. Pieces are coming together but the results are still poor. The DBs are there to make plays, just need some pressure and they'll start improving on the one turnover stat. 

Evans attacked the LOS and was blocked on the right, as Taylor ran left. He chased him down and got him 20? yards downfield on the opposite side. That's crazy game speed and continue to think he will be special on a new team next year.

Evans had 50 percent of snaps in week two and is getting blamed for WRs catching passes in the zone. It's stupid and no one else would fault him. 

Vrabel wants a LB/S hybrid just hasn't admitted it or JRob hasn't liked one in the draft. That's the only way they can make their zone work

Jayon to IR.

Joe Jones, I figure y'all know his back story, probably just plays ST.

Hooker practiced, should play.

Bledsoe active again after a real solid game last week. (Again, y'all probably know his back story) He went from PS to starter last week and played about half the snaps at DE. With his athleticism, Bowen took a risk and had Landry move around and rush the passer from different spots while Evans and Byard cheated to cover the vacant OLB spot. 

I am wondering if this wasn't "the rookie QB won't audible to a run right at Landry's vacated spot" so it worked whereas it wouldn't if a veteran QB was there.

Bledsoe looked real good. The Jets have had line issues so that's a grain of salt, but it was real big for the D. Denico had easily his best game too. I don't want to overstate handling a questionable Jets tackle and don't want to ignore project Bledsoe maybe starting to hit his potential.

Two questions.... One, is Cruikshank a safe play this week?  Two, any insight on the LB situation going into Monday night?  I'm assuming Long is a must start (or at least safe start), but haven't seen any update on Evans since Sunday.  What's the likelihood that he plays this week, and/or is the Williamson signing an indicator that he's going to be out?  

My LB's are a complete mess this week, and I have a large share of Brown/Evans/Long (and even Landry in a couple of leagues), so the fact that they play on MNF this week is making things dicey, to say the least.  Between byes and other guys going to IR, I've gone from 6-7 solid options to trying to scrap together three viable starters.  If Evans is unlikely to play, I may have to resort to extreme measures.  If he's likely to suit up, however, I may just take my chances.  

Two questions.... One, is Cruikshank a safe play this week?  Two, any insight on the LB situation going into Monday night?  I'm assuming Long is a must start (or at least safe start), but haven't seen any update on Evans since Sunday.  What's the likelihood that he plays this week, and/or is the Williamson signing an indicator that he's going to be out?  

My LB's are a complete mess this week, and I have a large share of Brown/Evans/Long (and even Landry in a couple of leagues), so the fact that they play on MNF this week is making things dicey, to say the least.  Between byes and other guys going to IR, I've gone from 6-7 solid options to trying to scrap together three viable starters.  If Evans is unlikely to play, I may have to resort to extreme measures.  If he's likely to suit up, however, I may just take my chances.  
Hooker is close to return maybe return. I could have missed that watching games today. Cruik had a good game, after being a ST guy his whole career, but that was it. He's on the edge of being replaced. The announcers called him Chris Jackson last week and it drive me nuts...long story shot I never got to look back and see if CB Chris Jackson did actually play any at S. 

I wrote about the LBs in the WW thread. Please see that, it was lengthy. Ya don't want the strong side ILB but the weakside one. For IDP it's been close to only the weak one gets the stats.

Some writers have Caleb Farley starting.

I don't get that. He was not ready and looked not ready every time he played. He got hurt/sore. Earlier this week he got sick and lost weight and Vrabel commented on it.

Fulton is out but they always go with Borders so why Farley now? The week he lost weight being sick?

I'm thinking part time work for him.

Both rookie CBs do have to contribute this week and they're probably gonna get burned for a TD and yet also make an INT. I love their fight while they learn. I'm glad the national audience will see it. It's not gonna do much for the Titans this week (maybe this year) but IDP folks may fall in love tomorrow night. Did ya see Elijah Molden's highlight this summer? 

Hooker is close to return maybe return. I could have missed that watching games today. Cruik had a good game, after being a ST guy his whole career, but that was it. He's on the edge of being replaced. The announcers called him Chris Jackson last week and it drive me nuts...long story shot I never got to look back and see if CB Chris Jackson did actually play any at S. 

I wrote about the LBs in the WW thread. Please see that, it was lengthy. Ya don't want the strong side ILB but the weakside one. For IDP it's been close to only the weak one gets the stats.
Yeah, I understand that part.  These are pretty deep dynasty leagues, so just about EVERY inside LB is in somebody's starting lineup, especially when we get into bye-season.  With limited waivers (once per week), I had to decide whether to roll with Evans or take a chance on somebody like the LAC rookie who filled in for Tranquill (Niemann?), for example.  I have lots of "shares" of Jayon Brown (drafted him in almost every rookie draft that year), but also a few of Evans, Long, etc.  

The last couple of weeks have been a true war of attrition at the LB position for me.  Went from having Evans as my 6th or 7th option, to literally hoping he plays so that I don't take a zero at LB3.  My only other option would have been starting a third DL, but the scoring there has been few and far between.  Basically choosing between JPP on TNF (who's got three fingers on one hand and a club on the other), who would have gotten me 4.5 pts, or take my chances with Evans and hope he gets me closer to 8-10.  

Bri said:
Titans gotta be a favorite for Mercilus.

They must add a CB or two this week 
Think with the injury that Molden will be more involved?  Not sure if he'll still be in the slot or if he'll move to the outside???

Think with the injury that Molden will be more involved?  Not sure if he'll still be in the slot or if he'll move to the outside???
Not normally but it's a fair question compared to the PS and WW promotions. I really think his gift is working in space and using his head so I'd keep him inside or at s if I was Bowen

Users who are viewing this thread