What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans IDPs (3 Viewers)

I don't think Vrabel's job is at stake but it has had that feel this week. The Mariota benching was just one thing that caught the focus of the media. It's been a whole we're getting it together and getting going- you're out, you're in....on and on, pretty serious week.

Urban and Dickerson were cut. Dickerson has stunk and been a curious hold as Mularkey's pet. With Flu going on IR with a phantom injury, this means both Mularkey pets are off the team. Urban did real well for 12? snaps per game. With his tips, pressure, I think one sack....per snap, he had fine numbers. Announcers pointed out several times how his big frame forced the QB to adjust. Not good, not bad, but fine as a backup. He's been a Pees favorite so I do expect he'll be re-signed in the on/off roster way but a Vrabel and Pees fave being cut is significant.

Simmons should play some but they're real concerned of overworking him. He held up great in one full contact practice 

Finch doesn't look like he'll return but the injury updates have been awful. They need him badly.

Derick Roberson was activated and he's an OLB that would show out and then do little, then show out...on and on. This is about when I figured he'd get activated. He could be a fun sub but nothing more this year. 

Gilbert has proven to be a 4-3 DE and not the type that can convert to OLB. Vrabel has pointed out his deficiency in the coverage game a few times. If they can get Finch back, there won't be anymore "let's take a look at Gilbert" vibe. He's not bad as the nickel end. I'm not impressed but not down on the guy either. 

Adoree trade rumors are meh to me. I think it's just nobodies and haven't seen one full time reporter discuss it. The Titans have extraordinary depth at CB and have for two years. They COULD trade Adoree, but that's it...they could. He had a good game recently where he finally (OMG finally!) put everything together. If he bloomed last minute, then he did. I figure they will see how it goes this season- when do you get a chance at a shutdown corner? Yes chances are he's just a great athlete but it's worth the look.

Logan Ryan is a free agent in 2020 but of no consequence here as both sides have praised each other and already been discussing a new contract. 

The Titans are allowing the 3rd most yards per pass deep right. Last year it was 29th deep left and Vaccaro clearly had that half. This year it's "Byard's side" but he is not always there if you watch when the plays happen. It's Vaccaro right, Hooker left, and Byard up.  Three sites already have them drafting a S in round one (not QB) and despite Titans fans love for Vaccaro, it's not a bad theory. They won't, but there's some sound logic to that. I think of note in this is how good Hooker has done in limited time. He's messed up some, but he's a rookie, and he is clearly owning his half of the field. 

Above matters because they're the third or fourth ranked D and playing great as a group despite poor DL play. That deep spot is like an oasis when nothing else is working. 

Casey played real well last week and with Simmons return, there are some high hopes that they'll finally have a good DL.

Looks like Rashaan Evans has become much more productive as of late. Hopefully that continues through the end of the season.
The first few weeks, teams passed over the middle with ease and loved getting a WR into his zone.

Byard's been up more and helped remedy this, allowing him to play a more typical LB role. 

He looked like his 2018 self early too and now is looking more like his 2018 late self. He crashes the line so fast and so good it is oh so obvious to know if he's thinking too much or playing ball. Mack has played in more key spots, if just a little more, and he's a tough UDFA NT. Him absorbing a lineman or two has helped Evans a ton. Simmons is expected to play opposite Casey and sometimes at the nose. DaQuan is a pretty decent nose when he's planned to play there and not so good when he's switched there. DaQuan and Mack should give Evans the freedom to NOT have to deal with a lineman every play. 

It's taken then about five years to finally get a NT so it should be good for Brown too when he returns. Woodyard looked rusty at first and then the same solid guy he's always been. He should get lots of work this week.

ST LB Bates played ILB in practice and Evans played OLB. Vrabel commented that Bates has improved a lot at ILB. Evans has been teased at OLB since the day he was drafted, but I totally don't expect it unless Brown returns and Woodyard can replace Evans at ILB. They could sorely use a solid OLB with Finch out, but I strongly doubt he plays there at all

I'm interested in seeing the snap counts for Jeffrey Simmons. He had himself a nice debut with 4 solos and a sack of Rivers. 

Evans has strung together 5 pretty damn productive weeks, granted two of them were when Brown was injured. He went back to being out there on 85% of the snaps this week, Brown was out there basically every snap, but Evans still had the much better day. He seems to be growing into his role better as the season progresses. Really good to see.

An excellent Casey-like game by the rookie. He was smothered on every play and yet still McCaff had trouble running up the middle almost all game. 

Finch returned to play similar to how he's been.

Butler broke his wrist and is done for the year.

Evans and Brown could have had a million tackles each but the Panthers are able to put so many blockers outside in front of McCaffrey. It's really impressive how they run those outside sweeps

Who rookie?  Gotta realize most in here aren't following Titans, we're following fantasy points. 
Simmons.

He is so good already. Truly was a top five talent in the draft. He's getting double and triple teamed and dealing with it. His stats probably stunk but he held his ground so well

Brown and Woodyard basically split snaps. Anything going on with Brown?
Brown looked tired and went down twice. He should be fine.

The Panthers have this great ability to get blockers out in front of McCaffrey. It's amazing how they get 4-5 guys outside ahead of him. Titans LBs took a beating to get to the RB this week. Even in the replays when ya know it's coming,  it's wow to see how those blockers get out there. In the first half, Pees put 3 OLBs in maybe 10 times. It worked well, no idea why it didn't return in the second half. 

Does anyone has an opinion how the LB splits will go this week vs. KC?

More Woodyard given his speed and to match up vs. Kelce perhaps? TEN really hasn't played a spread-type offense like the Chiefs yet so difficult to gauge what they might do.

ETA: Brown limited practice today so appears the groin is acting up.

Last edited by a moderator:

More Woodyard given his speed and to match up vs. Kelce perhaps? TEN really hasn't played a spread-type offense like the Chiefs yet so difficult to gauge what they might do.

I thought Brown didn't practice.

Brown is out and so is Casey. Their line is OK with the rookie (who is so much like Casey) but he doesn't play all the snaps. McCaff had no room inside last week when Simmons was in but then bolted when he was out. Evans is probably going to cover Kelce here and there because he's the only LB athletic enough but it'll probably be Byard most of the time. 

Hooker has been a nice rookie. Good 3rd safety and they play in occasional 3 safety sets. With Byard on the TE, I expect this to be the week they play a good amount of 3 safety sets. They really need Byard to also be the outfielder if Hill burns someone. Hooker is a typical rookie safety- gets burned but can smack someone and do pretty well otherwise. I bet they try to get away with Hooker on Kelce a little bit. 

Pees uses a bend but don't break zone that is soooo Patriot-esque. I expect to see that and hate it because the Chiefs are certainly a team that could break it.

The bottom line here is the Chiefs are so potent, the Titans are probably going to get caught being cute. For IDP, the Titans have to use Evans and Byard as much as possible

LeShaun Sims only allowed 3 for 50 or so when Evans got 200. Apparently sites don't look at the gamebook actual stats. He's a solid corner.

Tye Smith was with the team, down for a week, and back. He might play some. He's one of those corners that somehow always gets his hands on the ball. Especially if they're down, they could put the opportunistic CB in. 

Down Butler, Adoree hurting, Chiefs are a tough matchup

Who is David Long and anything to see there? Had a decent game. 
He’s really interesting IMO. Undersized tackle machine at UWV (I think they called him “Mr TFL”) and one of those guys who is just constantly around the ball. If he’d been drafted by a more LB needy team he might already have some buzz but there’s just not much path to playing time with the Titans.

I’d say he’s a high priority watch list/taxi guy because you know if he ever gets the playing time, he will absolutely produce on the stat sheet. Those guys are gold in IDP. Still, hard to see a consistent role even next season unless injuries force it so maybe too long a wait in most leagues without deep taxis.

Who is David Long and anything to see there? Had a decent game. 
The Titans had two special teams studs they got from the Raiders. They loved his college game and didn't care that he was too small because they just wanted him for special teams.

Brynden Trawick did something stupid and wasn't returning so instead of S and LB they went with two LBs, Bates and Long. They're both about the same 5-11 220lbs.

Vrabel has had nearly 35-40 backup LBs in just two years. He won't decide what he wants and what he doesn't want and it's crazy how fast he changes his mind with them...I just figure it's some junk with he used to play the position and coaches can't always judge their position well. The numbers are so high though.

Correa and Brown have played all four. Evans has practiced a lot at OLB and claims it's his natural spot, but we only saw a single snap last game with Landry at ILB and Evans at OLB- one snap two years. 

Belichick plays a 3-4/4-3 hybrid and the Titans have been trying to switch to that but they can't keep players long enough and Vrabel isn't Belichick.

So there's a lot of movement on the field and on the roster.

Long was put in as a filler of sorts and he did real well. He doesn't shed a blocker traditionally, it's like not in him, but he slides past them like a ST player would do and sonofa he makes plays. He was pushed back and brought up and pushed back so many times on the defensive depth chart.

Woodyard can't hack it for a full game against the speed of the Chiefs so Long got some reps. The Chiefs destroyed the Titans in ToP so he got even more time than expected. He did pretty good so they had him sub for Evans some too.

On some sets, he's backed up a good yard or two and not in line with Evans. I believe he was in Hooker/Byard's 3rd safety role on those. 

Pees did an awesome job of mixing things up. They had five DL, five LBs, five DBs, one DL, some nickels had 4 DL rather than 2 OLB at the line...he had such a variation last game. The Chiefs rocked but didn't put up enough points so the guy just kept switching and switching doing all he could to keep people fresh and confuse the offense. It would have been genius but...the Chiefs rocked so it was just a coach scrambling to stay in it.

Long has to get to around 240-250 to play ILB regularly and even still, the opportunity isn't really there with Jayon and Evans and then Woodyard in reserve.

They just re-signed Byard and Vaccaro and with Hooker doing well as the third safety, there isn't even much opportunity there.

He probably has to gain the weight the next few years and then latch on with another team.

It's too early, but Casey and Brown are expected to return this week.

Also with the bye, I got to read draft writeups. Many have the Titans drafting a DL. They are finally happy with their DL after many years and I see many with no mention of Jeffrey Simmons. This is the type of stuff I use to NOT read them when the draft is near. How are you a draft writer and don't know Simmons? Also, they have no QBs under contract for 2020 and if you're gonna mention needs....anyway, this is a great tell for who you should or shouldn't follow for draft stuff

It's too early, but Casey and Brown are expected to return this week.

Also with the bye, I got to read draft writeups. Many have the Titans drafting a DL. They are finally happy with their DL after many years and I see many with no mention of Jeffrey Simmons. This is the type of stuff I use to NOT read them when the draft is near. How are you a draft writer and don't know Simmons? Also, they have no QBs under contract for 2020 and if you're gonna mention needs....anyway, this is a great tell for who you should or shouldn't follow for draft stuff
Do you see Simmons as primarily a run stuffer who clogs the middle and lets other guys do there stuff or can he rush the passer and get decent IDP type numbers sprinkling in 6-8 sacks a year?  I am looking at a few trades and wondering if he should be included.  He made a big splash in game one on the stat sheet in limited snaps but has been blah on the stat sheet since.  It sounds like you have been impressed with his play but it isn't translating to points for IDP.  Is this a good NFL guy but not so good IDP guy or will he be both?

Do you see Simmons as primarily a run stuffer who clogs the middle and lets other guys do there stuff or can he rush the passer and get decent IDP type numbers sprinkling in 6-8 sacks a year?  I am looking at a few trades and wondering if he should be included.  He made a big splash in game one on the stat sheet in limited snaps but has been blah on the stat sheet since.  It sounds like you have been impressed with his play but it isn't translating to points for IDP.  Is this a good NFL guy but not so good IDP guy or will he be both?
He's been without Casey so it'll get much easier for him. 

He's a stud. He's been out of shape and doing well. He gets doubled and triple teams and holds up. When he's one on one, he can apply push or get to the QB. He's gonna be special. Well it's like most Titans top picks- if they don't mess this up. 

Wow, Evans getting a sack on the last play absolutely saved his day for me. Damn near finished the game with 2 assists. Idk how the hell that happened. Interested in seeing the snap counts.

BigAl21 said:
And  hearing how his role may have changed with Brown back. Bri, any insight?
Evans has to cover the TE some when Brown was out. When both are healthy, they both do, but it's clearly more Brown than Evans. I don't think his role changed much or will change.

I have a major prob with Vrabel's love hate relationships with his LBs but it's been that way since he became coach. Finch going from starter to bench like it's no big deal is absurd. David Long keeps playing more key plays and the guy is too small. Fournette chucked him aside one play and on another he steam rolled him. Vrabel said he felt those and Long's learning, he didn't mean to smile when talking to Long but they had more of a conversation he wasn't going to share. Skip all that! What are they father and son? Is this high school? I can't stand watching that

With Wake going on IR, Finch will go back to being a starter. I also figure Wake retires since 2.5 isn't up to his standard and it just seems like one of those signs that it's time.

The Titans DL didn't chase down plays the last couple games. Casey and Simmons have missed time and they look tired. Daquan seems to be the only one with gas left in his tank and he did make some good plays even saving a TD on one. I'm concerned though that the staff is NOT calling them out on this. The season is a grind and I get that, but the D has gone from one of the best to being 20th ranked and...I think there should be some standards and subs sent in and...there's something with this that's concerning.

Roberson I mentioned earlier. He's all hustle, if not talent, so I'll be curious if he can become something in year two or three. For now, he'll play very little and might get a sack off hustle, but he's not NFL ready yet.

Tye should play this week. Vaccaro has done much better this year than last, but I noticed him covering and he's often one of a two deep safety set. The other 31 teams are crazy for not picking up Tye Smith when he was available. He's a good (not great) corner that somehow touches the ball every game. Luck or how he slaps at it....it's just one of those things. 

Hooker and Byard had several excellent wrapup tackles of Fournette. The Jags shift someone to see Brown get pulled away from the middle, and then run Fournette with a TE going after Evans. Evans didn't shed tackles that well this week. 

This is the second win that the defense showed signs they might collapse but didn't. Pees and co gotta get it together with a tough upcoming schedule.

Adoree has done well for several weeks now and is probably earning his fifth year option picked up. Word is the Titans have already had cursory discussions with Ryan's agent and they'll re-sign him after the season.

Tye should play this week. Vaccaro has done much better this year than last, but I noticed him covering and he's often one of a two deep safety set. The other 31 teams are crazy for not picking up Tye Smith when he was available. He's a good (not great) corner that somehow touches the ball every game. Luck or how he slaps at it....it's just one of those things. 
a start, touchdown and FF for Tye

I know Jayon Brown is back, but it's actually crazy that Rashaan Evans has basically fallen off a cliff with him being back. He'd be at like 5 total tackles over two weeks if not for the sack he got last week. Lucky for me I've got the depth to deal with that, but wow he was producing at a nice level for a good 5 or 6 week stretch, and now it's just... nothing.

I know Jayon Brown is back, but it's actually crazy that Rashaan Evans has basically fallen off a cliff with him being back. He'd be at like 5 total tackles over two weeks if not for the sack he got last week. Lucky for me I've got the depth to deal with that, but wow he was producing at a nice level for a good 5 or 6 week stretch, and now it's just... nothing.
It's so different with Simmons and Casey. Jones has stepped up too. The Titans used to have RBs run right into Evans' arms but now they're swallowed up in gang tackles. 

Simmons is dead tired. I sincerely wonder if they should sit him. The guy is gasping for air a few minutes into the game and totally looks like he wasn't quite ready. Over tired bodies get injured so I'm worried about that knee. 

Correa had his annual "game of his life" game that surely affected Evans too. He's a common backup LB so he should revert back to his normal self and Evans will get more

Vaccaro is not expected to play after a concussion. Hooker will start. 

While Ryan can hang with Hopkins some, they have no answer for Fuller and Stills' speed. It's going to be real interesting to see what Pees comes up with. I hate their bend but don't break zone, but I would bet we see a whole lot of that. That's two deep S and the WRs run right in front of Brown or Evans for easy catches. 

Finch cut- I'm furious unless there's a sweetheart deal. Fitting-ly, he is the 50th LB transaction since Vrabel became coach. FIFTY!!!!

Simmons who has looked tired, inactive

Adoree who practiced, inactive

Gilbert expected to be up with Finch cut, inactive.

BUT BUT BUT despite all this craziness, Evans is expected to play OLB some today. Two reporters on twitter confirming so after me telling you for two years and maybe like 5 regular season snaps, it looks like today is the day.

Long is like 210 220 lbs, I'd expect him to somehow play a bunch today despite everyone on earth saying he's too small. There's still gonna be a Vrabel what the... moment.

The report that several teams put in claims for Finch on Saturday (right away) just adds to this garbage. 

Anything to see with Roberson? Two sacks is a nice afternoon.
He had a good preseason sack wise but really struggled with the other aspects of nickel DE/OLB. He's got a speed move and this rip where he gets his arm in then floats to the other side like a RB, such sweet feet on that move. That's it. He needs more moves but he's got great tenacity and push and...he's a good prospect. 

He was perfect holding the edge. Is every rookie OLB once they understand a coach stresses that? He's just out there in his stance waiting so Murray ran inside a few times. Essentially, IDP wise, he did nothing on those plays but there aren't many "look coach I'm doing it" moments that are more clear than that.

When the plays were right at him, he looked the same as preseason. A bit small, good fight, but ultimately didn't get the back. His fighting can allow opportunity for others, but he's gotta figure out how to get the back in a crowd.

I noticed they didn't have him cover

Bengals waive Sharif Finch

On Tuesday, the Cincinnati Bengals waived linebacker Sharif Finch due to a failed physical.

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/bengals-waive-sharif-finch-606647.html
Titans will probably get into some trouble over that. You can't waive an injured player without an injury settlement. It's also odd for the Bengals. With one game left, you'd expect a guy to be bangedup and have several soft tissue injuries. He probably wasn't going to do much in week 17 anyway with a new team and all.

Titans GM JRob said this weekend that it is likely Evans moves outside for 2020 season. 

He agreed with the host that they needed at least 2 OLBs and that the draft (Not good for Landry but things have to happen first) does not seem to yield enough elite OLBs in a way that they can fill the holes they need to. He mentioned 22 free agents and if they were to spend round 1 and 2 picks on an OLB, how would they look at CB or on the OL?

The draft has plenty of ILBs available in all rounds and Evans has been pining to play OLB since day one. 

Soooo year three of this talk that Evans might move outside.

How would this effect his tackle numbers, which were trending up after this year?
They'd probably be less but he'd get sacks and maybe an INT....it's been two years and he barely played OLB so I'd expect him to stay inside.

Today- I think this won't happen despite what JRob said.

I think we'll see Brown and Evans play outside some here N there (Brown has played all four) just for a look. 

The reality is still that the Titans (and most teams) play nickel more than anything and this focus on the 3-4 or 3-4/4-3 hybrid is inflated.

Amani Bledsoe was a surprise cut in some regard last year and shocking that a 4-3 team didn't pick him up at some point during the season. If they own that nickel is truly their base, they can add a DE in the draft, have Bledsoe compete, maybe a couple UDFAs, maybe a free agent (not bigtime) add. Bledsoe's college career was wrecked by suing the NCAA and sitting and all that stuff, but he's a top talent just without as much experience as you'd like. Without the experience, you can't even say he can utilize the talent successfully. He had a good camp and a good preseason even starting some. 

It seems easier or more sincere to guess they'll add a DE (or a few) and an OLB.

The stigma of why they cut Shariff Finch looms. He can't sign anywhere til they give him his settlement and they're not expected to til the last day of this league year. Because they want to re-sign him? Because they're being jerks about it? Who knows. He's exactly what they're looking for and it drives Titans fans nuts. Since several teams put in waiver claims (he failed physical with Bengals and reverted to Titans til settlement) there's definitely interest around the league for him. It's like winning the lottery to get a UDFA that finished as one of the top 5 OLBs in the second half of his rookie year. To say he stinks in year two and give up on him just seems like bad coaching. This too goes back to how he was so very well drilled and has several moves and great technique in college, that he could switch from DE to OLB so quickly shows more and....what happened? why couldn't ya coach that Vrabel?

The Titans allowed 7ypc on outside runs in the playoffs and (I forget how much but too much) on RB screens too, so it's definitely going to be addressed somehow.

I haven't posted here in a while.

Post draft and FA the common thought is the Titans got significantly worse on D losing Ryan and Casey. Simmons will play more and is probably ranked as such in IDP. Adoree should be the blanketing top CB and I would expect he's tested plenty so he might catch your eye.

Without signing Clowney, the Titans still sit with some odd "why didn't you" vibes about the OLB spot. Landry and Beasley are fast, excellent straight ahead rushers that should do more moves and can be pushed around against the run. They're both eh in coverage but Landry shows his athleticism sometimes and looks great for a play.

D'Andre Walker a pick from 2019 that sat, is the guy the team keeps quoting as making an impact or who to look for and those type articles/quotes. Can a fifth round pick that never played in NFL be a gem? I guess so but it's so odd to plan on it or not plan but be expectant...what's the word.

Roberson showed a natural progression last year. He had moments in camp, made the PS, got in and made some plays, got more time, and made more plays, got in even more and didn't cut it, reduced plays some and got it done again. No one seems to think he has special in him, just that he might develop into a solid backup. 

Josh Smith is a LB Titans fans like from his Vandy days, he's an athlete at LB. Vrabel, Bowen and co will have to make him into a LB rather than a tough athlete that makes plays. Some argue he's always been a fine LB and....whatever the case, he's an interesting guy to bring to camp. 

Garrett is Vrabel's twin from when he came out of college. He probably doesn't make the team but what a tough, smart LB.

If you plug Clowney into this group it changes and everyone fits just so. I swear the Titans planned on adding him even though they haven't. 

It is what it is, they're deficient at OLB and there will be another summer of "will Evans and/or Brown play OLB"

Just to clear up some weird rumor, Beasley's contract (a crazy 9.5 mil) is guaranteed so he will definitely play 2020. Cutting him as if he didn't make it would only free up 3.5 mil. He was not signed "in case" they don't get Clowney so they'll cut him when Clowney arrives. He could have been signed in case they don't get Clowney, I'd buy that, but there's no cut involved. The Titans franchise is not one of those that just throws money around at all

Not much changed, still waiting on Clowney 

Gilbert's recurring knee injury (tweaks, soreness, tendonitis not like torn acl) got him released despite them needing OLB/DE so ya know they "had it" with that.

They signed Wyatt Ray who followed Landry as 'the man' at BC. He graded as an NFL backup but with some technique changes, could become a starter- as is the technique issues weren't going to get him drafted. Last year he bounced around 3,4 teams so that pretty much coincides with the draft reviews. Here's a Vrabel project is all.

Amani Bledsoe was cut (90 to 80 time) and that was real curious. I gotta wonder if he wasn't in shape after this Covid quarantine. The Titans have said everyone returned in great shape and the pics that were released prove that. He wasn't picked up by other teams and should have been. There's something there. Again, he was a high ranked prospect out of high school, one of the more athletic DEs, fought the NCAA while at OU limiting his time but....he's the type of "take a chance on him" talent that NFL GMs always go for. 

Logan Ryan still unsigned is weird. He's a well known good guy and locker room presence so what's the prob? His agent let all 32 teams know and....why not sign one of the better CBs last year? It can't just be that he's 33. He's going to be a big add for some team and likely at a huge discount now.

Jayon Brown zero concern there

A lot of praise for Jeffrey Simmons and how he could/should is expected to be the next big thing. Well....it's different than most positions. It's awesome if he's a success but if not, the whole D takes a giant hit. Cautiously optimistic because the quotes are pretty awesome to read. Injured, tired or not, he made a huge impression on his teammates last year.

I saw Leshaun Sims getting praise from Bengals coaches. IDP folks might want to keep an eye on that. 

The Broncos are loving Casey and every article still stings. I think all us Titans fans need week one to be over without him crushing Tannehill and then we can move on....some.

D'Andre Walker has been in opposite Landry. Beasley has been out.

Kareem Orr is third CB.

You might need to put them on your idp radar for late late late pickups. (scratch this!)

The more Walker I read, the less I think of Correa.

Simmons has been awesome thus far.

Hooker appears to be subbing in at CB and S and playing in 3 safety sets. One Byard or Vaccaro injury and he'll make a name for himself. I enjoyed reading a bit about him covering Jonnu then Davis then making a Henry tackle. He's versatile, he's everywhere,....he hits alot of cliches about safeties

Fulton appears to be a bust today.

Do rookies do well after a nervous first week? Absolutely! But he did not look good according to everyone I know

Users who are viewing this thread