What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Clement Thread (1 Viewer)

I think Clement is a great RB to target this year...you don’t have to use a high pick on him and you can easily see a path to production...he is in a good offense, he looked real good as an undrafted rookie last year, I can not picture him not getting the opportunity to carve out a bigger role in this offense and the rest of the backfield is nothing overwhelming...Ajayi has injury concerns and while he could be very solid I don’t think he is bellcow good, Sproles is on the back 9 and the other pieces there all have question marks...for where you can get him he has a chance to turn into the type of depth RB that you could be really glad you have in week 10 or 12 when the injuries start piling up...these type of guys often get overlooked this time of year because so many are trying to dig up the next Kamara-type of home run...
He's also a great cheap dynasty stash if he's still available.  He's the only RB on the Eagles' roster you can say will definitely be back next year and if he takes another step forward may be in line for the #1 job.

He's also a great cheap dynasty stash if he's still available.  He's the only RB on the Eagles' roster you can say will definitely be back next year and if he takes another step forward may be in line for the #1 job.
I see him more with a Duke Johnson type of potential...not a big stud or anything flashy but when the end of the year comes he ends up around #20 in the overall RB rankings... 

Dynasty wise ... anyone seen Clement moved?  I was offered a 2nd Round 2019 Rookie Pick for him, but have no clue on his value.  Pick will wind up being 2.01-2.07 (14 team league)

Dynasty wise ... anyone seen Clement moved?  I was offered a 2nd Round 2019 Rookie Pick for him, but have no clue on his value.  Pick will wind up being 2.01-2.07 (14 team league)
I traded for him giving up pick 2.13 and 3.8. ended up being Callaway and Boston Scott. I was quite pleased to get him for that. 

The thing about Clement is his value could be for a 1st or more in 6 months depending what philly does with Ajayi. He could be the guy. I see him as being no worse than a pass catching back, maybe even goal line. which has great value in itself. I would put his value as a high 2nd rounder, especially in a 14 team league

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to move Clement last week to jump from pick 3.07 to pick 2.12 so as to grab Josh Rosen. No luck. The owner didn’t think Clement would get enough touches this year and wasn’t interested in a project. I thought it was a good deal for him.

I tried to move Clement last week to jump from pick 3.07 to pick 2.12 so as to grab Josh Rosen. No luck. The owner didn’t think Clement would get enough touches this year and wasn’t interested in a project. I thought it was a good deal for him.
Clement and 3.7 for 2.12? wow. that's a crazy good deal for him. 

I'm even more surprised Rosen dropped to 2.12.

Maybe I got ripped off or am in the minority with my thoughts on Clement

The Eagles definitely like him, but it is hard to see him having that much value this year unless Sproles or Ajayi gets hurt.

Dynasty-wise, it is probably a worthwhile gamble, because I have a hard time seeing them spending to bring Ajayi back and this is the last year for Sproles.

Pump gone, Smallwood hanging on by a thread.  Adams is lurking on the PS, but I think there is a world in which Clement is more or less the lead back next year.

He went a pick 13.4 as the RB51 off the board in my 12 team, super-flex, ppr redraft yesterday. I was targeting him at 12.12, was planning to take him without question but at around pick 12.6 the news about Jerrick McKinnon broke so I pivoted to Morris as my RB6 (Breida went at 14.06 as RB58).  Might be a mistake but an Ajayi even with a "lower leg" issue is still healthier than McKinnon on IR. And I tend to give preference to a Shanahan RB.

The Eagles definitely like him, but it is hard to see him having that much value this year unless Sproles or Ajayi gets hurt.
unless?

Sproles is about ready to file for an AARP membership, and Ajayi will have knee issues all year/rest of his career due to what I perceive to be failing microfracture surgery (which is exactly why I harp on this surgery... it just doesnt last at all). Ajayi's knee is only going to get worse. 

If you watch Ajayi run these days you will draft Clement. Ajayi starts the game looking like "Beast Mode the Sequel" but by the second quarter you can sense something is amiss. The Eagles love Clement (he is a local kid). He is Ajayi's backup, not Sproles'.

I think Ajayi’s knee naturally leads to an RBBC situation by midseason, at which point Ajayi’s bad attitude will take over and naturally lead to him not being a Philadelphia Eagle after this year.

Clement’s just a waiting game at this point and hopefully he’s taken over the lead role by fantasy playoff time.

Dynasty-wise, it is probably a worthwhile gamble, because I have a hard time seeing them spending to bring Ajayi back and this is the last year for Sproles.

Pump gone, Smallwood hanging on by a thread. Adams is lurking on the PS, but I think there is a world in which Clement is More or Less the lead back next year.
Even if I do believe Ajayi's injury (injuries?) will cost him time this year, I'm still hesitant to move Clement too far up my draft board because I believe Pederson will always trot out some type of RBBC. If Ajayi goes down, wouldn't Smallwood get some burn? I think Smallwood is a literal stiff, like it looks like hips have been fused to his legs but I can still see him playing on 30% of the snaps and touching the ball 10 times. And if it's not Smallwood it would be Adams right? It's just hard for me to imagine a scenario in which there isn't a RBBC.

not a great comparison. Tevin Coleman is a frail RB himself 
Really? First of all we don’t know if Clement is frail. 2nd of all it’s actually irrelevant if Coleman is, Ajayi and Sproles are so Clement’s opportunities are bound to increase. 

Really? First of all we don’t know if Clement is frail. 2nd of all it’s actually irrelevant if Coleman is, Ajayi and Sproles are so Clement’s opportunities are bound to increase. 
All I was doing was pointing out that Coleman is injury prone. His running style leads him to concussions and he strains his hamstring as often as Diggs strains his abductors 

All I was doing was pointing out that Coleman is injury prone. His running style leads him to concussions and he strains his hamstring as often as Diggs strains his abductors 
Ok so it’s even better than I was suggesting? Because Coleman is frail but Clement isn’t yet?

i like guys behind frail starters. 

ratbast said:
Ok so it’s even better than I was suggesting? Because Coleman is frail but Clement isn’t yet?

i like guys behind frail starters. 
At this point we are splitting hairs and having a ridiculous discussion. you said Clement was like Coleman, a guy behind a frail starter. all I was saying is that it's not an entirely accurate comparison because Coleman is frail himself, possibly more than Freeman. That's all. I agree, Clement is attractive because he is behind a guy who is injured a lot. that's a great player to have. 

Ajayi's latest injury is somewhat "new" in that it is his foot, not his knee. More bid for Clement.

At this point we are splitting hairs and having a ridiculous discussion. you said Clement was like Coleman, a guy behind a frail starter. all I was saying is that it's not an entirely accurate comparison because Coleman is frail himself, possibly more than Freeman. That's all. I agree, Clement is attractive because he is behind a guy who is injured a lot. that's a great player to have. 
It’s not really ridiculous but we are running around in circles. 

I see where you could mistake my first comment. I was trying to call him Colemanesque but behind a frail Ajayi. I was not trying to call Freeman frail in my comment. My apologies for not being clearer. 

So Clement’s action skyrockets with an injury to Ajayi or even Sproles. So it’s a good bet. 

SameSongNDance said:
Even if I do believe Ajayi's injury (injuries?) will cost him time this year, I'm still hesitant to move Clement too far up my draft board because I believe Pederson will always trot out some type of RBBC. If Ajayi goes down, wouldn't Smallwood get some burn? I think Smallwood is a literal stiff, like it looks like hips have been fused to his legs but I can still see him playing on 30% of the snaps and touching the ball 10 times. And if it's not Smallwood it would be Adams right? It's just hard for me to imagine a scenario in which there isn't a RBBC.
FWIW I thought Smallwood looked improved from last year preseason.

I think you may be right about Pederson's commitment to RBBC. He did win a Super Bowl using such strategy. It would take a very very good RB to make him change his tune I guess.

Definitely intriguing as a Ajayi owner and could see Clement being one of the better handcuffs.

I'm not ready to write off sproles just yet as he will getting some touches and cant believe we are still talking about a 5'6 player in the NFL that is 35 years old....good for him.

Ajayi is my RB 4/5 so not really worried about my depth but might me more opt to move him this season for a WR with the mouths to feed in Philly.

Ajayi's latest injury is somewhat "new" in that it is his foot, not his knee. More bid for Clement.
I noticed that as well, took me by surprise.  If it is indeed true, it’s going to be an interesting season in this backfield, Clement might be on a lot of championship teams if Ajayi stays banged up.

Tons of people in here calling a rb that has missed 1 game in 2 years fragile and frail. He played 14 games last year because he had two bye weeks.

Tons of people in here calling a rb that has missed 1 game in 2 years fragile and frail. He played 14 games last year because he had two bye weeks.
Your name is not reflective of your posting

I'm not sure I recall ajayi ever having a full week of practice without some kind of owwie

We all know about Ajayi's knees and now an apparent foot problem. I re-watched the Super Bowl last night and it was mentioned during that broadcast that Ajayi had been dealing with a foot injury leading up to the SB.  Now he has a foot problem to start this season.  IDK if its the same foot/issue but to have that plus the knees doesn't seem good.  Clement's obviously a priority handcuff as well as a flex option even with a (semi) healthy Ajayi.

Your name is not reflective of your posting

I'm not sure I recall ajayi ever having a full week of practice without some kind of owwie
Does this matter if he's not missing games? Marshawn didn't practice on Wednesdays for almost his entire time with Seattle. Did we consider him brittle?

Everyone is talking as though they expect Ajayi to miss games because he has a history of missing games. All I am pointing out is that he really doesn't have a history of missing games regardless of how many practices he misses. 

Does this matter if he's not missing games? Marshawn didn't practice on Wednesdays for almost his entire time with Seattle. Did we consider him brittle?

Everyone is talking as though they expect Ajayi to miss games because he has a history of missing games. All I am pointing out is that he really doesn't have a history of missing games regardless of how many practices he misses. 
Would you rather have a guy who plays all 16 games healthy or a guy who plays banged up and needs to get rested? 

Very curious for the game 1 reveal this Thursday to see the snap breakdown.  GL, 3rd down, is Sproles still Sproles, how limited is Ajayi if at all, etc. 

From Bleeding Green Nation.  Article links to The Athletic, which requires a subscription.

Players survey: Grugier-Hill, Clement, Goedert among Eagles picks to have big years - The Athletic
Brandon Graham: “If I had to pick one, [Corey] Cle-MENT, CLE-ment. I don’t want to say his name wrong [cackles]. He’s just shown me that he’s ready for year two, like he seems more confident than he was last year, even though he was confident then. But now he knows what to expect. I feel like there’s gonna be a lot of downhill running, a lot of big-yardage plays for him.”

Rodney McLeod: “I’ll probably say Corey Clement. He’s been doing it all. Obviously he’s been hurt, but before that, running hard. It seems like he’s gained a step. Good hands out of the backfield. He’s been back there on special teams. He’s just a fighter, man, and a competitor and a warrior. Line him up anywhere. I’ve seen him out there dog tired with the ones, twos and threes. And he’s still running. So I’ve been impressed. Obviously he had a good rookie year, but I think he’ll have an even better year this season.”

From my perspective, it's not about how much time he has missed in the past, it's more about his future outlook.  A bone on bone condition isn't like a soft tissue injury that is going to get better with rest, especially with the impact stress an RB in the NFL puts on the knee.  When the "end" comes (need for surgery) it typically happens pretty quickly.  Since he has been dealing with this for several years, and microfracture surgery has been mentioned in the past, he is probably already on borrowed time. Not saying the "end" is going to happen this year, but I think he is going to have some rough spells during the season.

Another thing to consider, is his foot condition a result of compensating for his knee?  Those compensations can result in a plethora of other issues that he may have to deal with.

From my perspective, it's not about how much time he has missed in the past, it's more about his future outlook.  A bone on bone condition isn't like a soft tissue injury that is going to get better with rest, especially with the impact stress an RB in the NFL puts on the knee.  When the "end" comes (need for surgery) it typically happens pretty quickly.  Since he has been dealing with this for several years, and microfracture surgery has been mentioned in the past, he is probably already on borrowed time. Not saying the "end" is going to happen this year, but I think he is going to have some rough spells during the season.

Another thing to consider, is his foot condition a result of compensating for his knee?  Those compensations can result in a plethora of other issues that he may have to deal with.

The rumors of Jays knee being bone on bone have never been substantiated, It did seem to affect his draft position however although attitude may have been another factor contributing to that as well.

You are right though that if Jay has continued to have problems with the knee that this would cause him to overcompensate for that while he is running at times which could lead to other cascade injuries, such as foot and ankles.

I am not saying the bone on bone thing is a myth as there are other things that cause that possibility to make sense. I am skeptical of these rumors about his knee condition being true at the same time though as I have detailed in the past in the Ajayi thread. Jay Ajayi has endured massive workloads in the college and pro level since the injury which was not football related occurred.  

ah we speak the same language 

I agree completely

The rumors of Jays knee being bone on bone have never been substantiated, It did seem to affect his draft position however although attitude may have been another factor contributing to that as well.

You are right though that if Jay has continued to have problems with the knee that this would cause him to overcompensate for that while he is running at times which could lead to other cascade injuries, such as foot and ankles.

I am not saying the bone on bone thing is a myth as there are other things that cause that possibility to make sense. I am skeptical of these rumors about his knee condition being true at the same time though as I have detailed in the past in the Ajayi thread. Jay Ajayi has endured massive workloads in the college and pro level since the injury which was not football related occurred.  
Yeah there is tons speculation here. Apart from the bone to bone issue, which was never really proven but is taken as fact, there isn't even proof that the injury that has been bothering him is his knee. It was an "unspecified lower body injury" that everyone assumes is the knee because of other unproven rumors.

Then when a foot injury is revealed, everyone believes he now has two injuries because everyone already assumed he was resting his knee.

I'm not disagreeing that Ajayi has had injury concerns, or that Clement is a great backup. I'm just trying to call attention to how narratives get formed and everyone buys into speculation and group think. 

Not meaning to quote Dan - on my phone.

Dave Spodaro (long time Eagles “insider” - works for the Eagles) was on XM Fantasy radio this morning and he guessed that Clement will get the bulk of the carries this Thursday night. Scares me as an Ajayi owner. He kept referring to Ajayi as banged up. Not sure how much we can trust this guy’s opinion.

unless?

Sproles is about ready to file for an AARP membership, and Ajayi will have knee issues all year/rest of his career due to what I perceive to be failing microfracture surgery (which is exactly why I harp on this surgery... it just doesnt last at all). Ajayi's knee is only going to get worse. 
I’m no doctor but according to google he hasn’t had microfracture surgery and 6 years of playing post surgery and over 1400 touches lead me to believe that whatever he had has lasted pretty long. Do I have that wrong?

Dave Spodaro (long time Eagles “insider” - works for the Eagles) was on XM Fantasy radio this morning and he guessed that Clement will get the bulk of the carries this Thursday night. Scares me as an Ajayi owner. He kept referring to Ajayi as banged up. Not sure how much we can trust this guy’s opinion.
Dave Spadaro is basically an Eagles PR guy.  I regard him mostly as a cheerleader who will always put a positive spin on things.  If he refers to Ajayi as banged up, Ajayi's banged up.

Dave Spadaro

He's a nice guy (my dad did work on a house for a dad who's son was best friends for his) and I've met him several times at local bars. however he's just an Eagles PR guy. You won't get any headline grabbers from him. 

Surprised this guy has been so cheap.  Every time I saw him play last year, he was making plays, and with Ajayi's health in question, this guy is a good buy, and a cheap one!  I have him on like half of my teams, lol. 
Got him on my keeper team (Keep 4) in like the 8th or 9th round. 

The bad attitude is more than background noise IMO.  It’s why the opportunity is bigger for Clement than a typical backup.  With Ajayi you’ve got at least the baseline risk of injury any workhorse RB has (maybe more but not confirmed), AND you’ve got the fact he’s apparently a complete pain to have on your football team.  

It’s widely reported Miami saw his success on the field as outweighed by his complaining and negativity and didn’t want him back.  Once he was gone, the staff openly told reporters that EVEN AFTER WINS he’d whine when he didn’t get the ball enough.

Ever play on a team with a guy like that?  If you have you understand why he’s not in Miami. And you understand why as soon as he left they talked crap about him to the media.  It’s because when you have a guy like that on your team everybody hates him.

Bad knee or not there’s no way something doesn’t frustrate Ajayi over a 17 week season and if he reacts like he did in Miami its not hard to imagine him alienating himself from a lockerroom and coaching staff that just took their good team chemistry all the way to a Super Bowl.

Yeah there is tons speculation here. Apart from the bone to bone issue, which was never really proven but is taken as fact, there isn't even proof that the injury that has been bothering him is his knee. It was an "unspecified lower body injury" that everyone assumes is the knee because of other unproven rumors.

Then when a foot injury is revealed, everyone believes he now has two injuries because everyone already assumed he was resting his knee.

I'm not disagreeing that Ajayi has had injury concerns, or that Clement is a great backup. I'm just trying to call attention to how narratives get formed and everyone buys into speculation and group think. 
I was on the sideline for an Eagles preseason game last year and my eyes said "knee."

Surprised this guy has been so cheap.  Every time I saw him play last year, he was making plays, and with Ajayi's health in question, this guy is a good buy, and a cheap one!  I have him on like half of my teams, lol. 
:yes: same here. He's an ideal rb3. 

Users who are viewing this thread