What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (7 Viewers)

Based on that information, I would suggest we be on the look out for kids just like him. Maybe it's not so hard to identify potential shooters?
As soon as you identify him and try to disarm him or put him in an institution you’re “infringing on his rights”.  There’s one of the problems. 

start with datamining

target 100% in follow ups to FBI hotline tips - we know now that failed for Parkland

schools - I do not believe in counseling over correction- another glaring failure for Parkland and Cruz

people posting violent threats on instagram and twitter and facebook .... that needs investigating

I have a question - right now, a person tells you that a kid named Kill'em HardorDie is going to shoot up your local school tomorrow. Who do you call ?

what is the number to phone to report violent threats? 911? local police?

how about a national number, a way to report violent threats that everyone knows as well as 911??
But what do we do when we find a kid with all this stuff? I can give you a list of names of kids right now that check lots of these boxes. What do we do about it?

Oh and yeah I call the local police and their school for sure. There are hotlines and stuff- SaySomething is an app/website/phone number where anonymous reports can be made and the school/ local leo get immediately notified. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You actually discuss things, and have on occasion conceded a factual point
contrary to what some say, I truly do want a discussion, its the only reason I come to forums

on guns, because I'm being targeted, its easy to get defensive and dig my heals in

however, I am very much trying to see any positive solutions that's thrown out here .... one I took was juvenile records and using them to stop gun purchases even after turning 18

I think that's very valid

start with datamining

target 100% in follow ups to FBI hotline tips - we know now that failed for Parkland

schools - I do not believe in counseling over correction- another glaring failure for Parkland and Cruz

people posting violent threats on instagram and twitter and facebook .... that needs investigating

I have a question - right now, a person tells you that a kid named Kill'em HardorDie is going to shoot up your local school tomorrow. Who do you call ?

what is the number to phone to report violent threats? 911? local police?

how about a national number, a way to report violent threats that everyone knows as well as 911??
What do you mean by data mining? Specifically, what do you want the government to do?

Ok - 100% follow up to FBI on hotline tips and people posting on instagram and twitter and facebook. What should the FBI do for the investigation? What do you want the FBI to do if they find the kid is a little mentally unstable? 

By the way - which of the things you are about to suggest would have stopped today's shooting?

I don't carry a gun because I'm not afraid.   You carry a gun because you are.  Why do you feel the need to constantly protect yourself?  That's the definition of afraid.
<<< This troll has never carried a gun for protection. Mine are locked in a safe. 

But what do we do when we find a kid with all this stuff? I can give you a list of names of kids right now that check lots of these boxes. What do we do about it?
authorities have to interevene, make a house call

ok, I have a 16 year old - I think he's a damn fine kid

if police show up right now and say Mr Cat, your kitten has been reported of multiple school threats, we have reason to think he's a danger. I can react and say Mr Police, come on in and lets go to his room and have alook see, talk to him etc. If I choose not to, they have no warrant, don't you think when they leave I'm going to investigate myself ?

If there is harder evidence linking my son, they can give warrants

where is the flaw in that ?

What do you mean by data mining? Specifically, what do you want the government to do?

Ok - 100% follow up to FBI on hotline tips and people posting on instagram and twitter and facebook. What should the FBI do for the investigation? What do you want the FBI to do if they find the kid is a little mentally unstable? 

By the way - which of the things you are about to suggest would have stopped today's shooting?
Step number one would be removing all the guns from the home he lives in but that would infringe on the rights of the legal adult owner. 

just replied with some of that

the violent threats and posts on facebook and twitter and instagram etc

just like this

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/20/he-had-shotgun-map-and-code-his-friends-what-stopped-potential-wisconsin-school-shooting/525570002/

No. You aren't being thoughtful/reasonable.

Belief systems are often cultish (NRA says hi)... which is not true of the other side.

Think about it.
And if I don't belong or support the NRA, how am I not being thoughtful and reasonable? My belief is that the majority of people that own guns are responsible like myself. There are a very few outliers that are not. 

Step number one would be removing all the guns from the home he lives in but that would infringe on the rights of the legal adult owner. 
Lets say its an adult. Under what current law would the FBI be able to remove guns from someone's house who they found to be objectionable?

that's not stopping the core problem - that's just making it a bit more difficult for him

I'm saying stop the problem -

I agree but what do you do about it? If I find a kid that has all these nasty posts online, what do we do about it?
Great question. My suggestion is do something, anything. The alternative is to do nothing and he shoots up a school. 

This is the education part that everyone seems afraid of. We have all kinds of education and information on drugs, alcohol, cigarettes. But when it comes to a potential shooters, we just shrug and say "what do you do about it"

authorities have to interevene, make a house call

ok, I have a 16 year old - I think he's a damn fine kid

if police show up right now and say Mr Cat, your kitten has been reported of multiple school threats, we have reason to think he's a danger. I can react and say Mr Police, come on in and lets go to his room and have alook see, talk to him etc. If I choose not to, they have no warrant, don't you think when they leave I'm going to investigate myself ?

If there is harder evidence linking my son, they can give warrants

where is the flaw in that ?
The flaw is that there is a ####### ####LOAD of room between the goal posts you set. You could drive a ####### condo complex between those goal posts. 

Yes - there is a subset of parents who would care that the FBI is worried about their kids. And there is another end of the spectrum where the person in question has done enough that the FBI can arrest him. But that leaves a whole ####ton of people and events that don't fall as one of those two things.

Here's an example - 16 year old kid who seems mentally unstable, lawfully owns a gun, and the parent tells the FBI to go #### themselves. 

Here's another - 21 year old young man who seems a little mentally unstable. FBI comes to his door and he tells the FBI to go #### themselves.

Lets say its an adult. Under what current law would the FBI be able to remove guns from someone's house who they found to be objectionable?
none

but guys look

if police came to my house, showed me something concerning, I'm locking everything in my safe whereas I normally do not

i think most would - I think Nikolas Cruz's foster parents would have

that's not stopping the core problem - that's just making it a bit more difficult for him

I'm saying stop the problem -
Just give the kid the magic pill that makes them not to have violent urges any more? Make him take therapy? What do we do about these kids? You can tell their parents, that is a good idea. However, what will that do?

The flaw is that there is a ####### ####LOAD of room between the goal posts you set. You could drive a ####### condo complex between those goal posts. 

Yes - there is a subset of parents who would care that the FBI is worried about their kids. And there is another end of the spectrum where the person in question has done enough that the FBI can arrest him. But that leaves a whole ####ton of people and events that don't fall as one of those two things.

Here's an example - 16 year old kid who seems mentally unstable, lawfully owns a gun, and the parent tells the FBI to go #### themselves. 

Here's another - 21 year old young man who seems a little mentally unstable. FBI comes to his door and he tells the FBI to go #### themselves
I'm not moving anything - I'm trying to discuss solutions

be a part of it or leave, for God's sake please

yes, those both can happen ........... but steps have been taken that doesn't breach constitutional rights, its a step in the right direction and notice has been set

I'm not moving anything - I'm trying to discuss solutions

be a part of it or leave, for God's sake please

yes, those both can happen ........... but steps have been taken that doesn't breach constitutional rights, its a step in the right direction and notice has been set
No, you really aren't. You are putting things into a little box and saying, "In these very specific and rare scenarios, we may be ok if we pass some non-specific laws that have no shot at getting passed with the current state of the GOP and NRA." 

Also, I don't know what "but steps have been taken that doesn't breach constitutional rights, its a step in the right direction and notice has been set" means. If you could expand on that, I'd appreciate it.

Great question. My suggestion is do something, anything. The alternative is to do nothing and he shoots up a school. 

This is the education part that everyone seems afraid of. We have all kinds of education and information on drugs, alcohol, cigarettes. But when it comes to a potential shooters, we just shrug and say "what do you do about it"
I agree- just remember that is how many posters here feel about guns. That isn't a criticism of you, just trying to sow accord. 

There is a lot of education going on in schools but not enough. We do need more mental health. Please vote for more funding of public education. I promise you it's desperately needed. 

Just give the kid the magic pill that makes them not to have violent urges any more? Make him take therapy? What do we do about these kids? You can tell their parents, that is a good idea. However, what will that do?
it sets in motion a grand range of things

but c'mon, what is the #1 goal here? Trying to stop these things from happening right ? Not trying to make it 5 dad vs 10 dead, that's a solution and neither is affecting 50 million gun owners a solution

mental health is talked about grandly by the left - institute it, create more mental health hospitals

look, these are valid steps here - look at the links, look at the potential school violence that's been stopped already in the last 3 months ........... do you even know they happened if I didn't link them here because media ignores them ? progress IS being made

there are lines that cannot be crossed because of our Constitution ........ sometimes I lose faith in humanity, other times i think dammit, people WILL act and do what's right is called on

if this shooter today, if his Dad was told yesterday would he have acted? ya'll think he'd have really said F the police and FBI ?

I don't believe that

Only in my home. I don't have a conceal carry permit. Never felt it was necessary. And I work in the worst parts of this city. 
in your home - not locked - gotcha

I do the same - but if I thought my kids were  danger, or my wife, I'd lock them all up. If we have people over, I lock them ALL up except for my on-person gun. This is all gun safety and 101 training here, be safe, cautious, responsible

most people don't understand how safe we really are

it sets in motion a grand range of things

but c'mon, what is the #1 goal here? Trying to stop these things from happening right ? Not trying to make it 5 dad vs 10 dead, that's a solution and neither is affecting 50 million gun owners a solution

mental health is talked about grandly by the left - institute it, create more mental health hospitals

look, these are valid steps here - look at the links, look at the potential school violence that's been stopped already in the last 3 months ........... do you even know they happened if I didn't link them here because media ignores them ? progress IS being made

there are lines that cannot be crossed because of our Constitution ........ sometimes I lose faith in humanity, other times i think dammit, people WILL act and do what's right is called on

if this shooter today, if his Dad was told yesterday would he have acted? ya'll think he'd have really said F the police and FBI ?

I don't believe that
Sometimes the parents are not cooperative. Sometimes the parents aren't really capable of providing what the kids needs. Sometimes the parent is the root of the problem. So if the parents get tipped off, it might delay the attack. All that could have been reported on this kid is that he posted a born to kill shirt and some WW2 era medals. Most parents aren't quick to go from those facts to "your kid is likely going to kill 10 people Friday." 

It is not illegal to be a wacko in America so both groups have plenty of rights. 
this is very true

and its a problem at the same time

right now, if you wanted to go out, buy duck hunting semi-auto shotguns, turkey loads, go to your local school and walk in as all the kids were walking in opening bell and shoot as many as you could .......... what would stop you ?

serious question - what would stop you ?

I agree- just remember that is how many posters here feel about guns. That isn't a criticism of you, just trying to sow accord. 

There is a lot of education going on in schools but not enough. We do need more mental health. Please vote for more funding of public education. I promise you it's desperately needed. 
Contrary to popular belief, I want a solution. I just differ on how we reach that solution. 

this is very true

and its a problem at the same time

right now, if you wanted to go out, buy duck hunting semi-auto shotguns, turkey loads, go to your local school and walk in as all the kids were walking in opening bell and shoot as many as you could .......... what would stop you ?

serious question - what would stop you ?
Nothing which is why so many people want a waiting period for gun purchases. It might stop be if I for some reason ever got that horrible impulse. 

Sometimes the parents are not cooperative. Sometimes the parents aren't really capable of providing what the kids needs. Sometimes the parent is the root of the problem. So if the parents get tipped off, it might delay the attack. All that could have been reported on this kid is that he posted a born to kill shirt and some WW2 era medals. Most parents aren't quick to go from those facts to "your kid is likely going to kill 10 people Friday." 
that is their right

and if you have lot that much faith, do you support removing people's Constitutional Rights and allow the Govt to literally go door to door and sniff out potential violence ?

we are a reactive social system by and large ...... until you commit a crime, its very hard to do anything to you, right ?

but we CAN use red flags and profile people and try

Nothing which is why so many people want a waiting period for gun purchases. It might stop be if I for some reason ever got that horrible impulse. 
that's correct

however, armed guards would really throw a kink into your plan, and they might very well take you down before you do your kills ......... it would seriously change your planning and if a school was tight, you might instead choose a church or mall or theatre - don't you think ?

your impulse isn't going away either, I don't think mass shooters plan it, and then change mind and never think on it again

that is their right

and if you have lot that much faith, do you support removing people's Constitutional Rights and allow the Govt to literally go door to door and sniff out potential violence ?

we are a reactive social system by and large ...... until you commit a crime, its very hard to do anything to you, right ?

but we CAN use red flags and profile people and try
I don't know what you are talking about anymore. The schools already mostly know who the kids at risk are and why. We just can't do anything about it. If parents would be honest about their kids, they would know too. 

in your home - not locked - gotcha

I do the same - but if I thought my kids were  danger, or my wife, I'd lock them all up. If we have people over, I lock them ALL up except for my on-person gun. This is all gun safety and 101 training here, be safe, cautious, responsible

most people don't understand how safe we really are
Not sure about the bolded. As I mentioned already. The guns are locked in a gun safe. The bolts or trigger mechanisms (semi auto) are locked in a different safe in a different location.. Even if someone broke into the gun safe, they wouldn't be able to steal a working firearm. My Glock is in a separate biometric safe in a third location (not easily found). 

that's correct

however, armed guards would really throw a kink into your plan, and they might very well take you down before you do your kills ......... it would seriously change your planning and if a school was tight, you might instead choose a church or mall or theatre - don't you think ?

your impulse isn't going away either, I don't think mass shooters plan it, and then change mind and never think on it again
I can't make myself think like a mass shooter so I have no idea. Many go into the the situation wanting to die so I am not convinced armed guards will really stop  someone.  Also I don't think these people pick their targets looking for easy kills, the target has a strong meaning to them. 

I don't know what you are talking about anymore. The schools already mostly know who the kids at risk are and why. We just can't do anything about it. If parents would be honest about their kids, they would know too. 
I disagree

do you know how much violence is in schools ? I was reading reports eariler today .... stabbings, violence attacks, rape ..... its unreal

if you don't have kids in school, its all hush hush too, I still have a 16 year old in school, i'm in tune with how tough it is

You are right, some parents wouldn't care but dang some would, many would and look at the difference it could make

I disagree

do you know how much violence is in schools ? I was reading reports eariler today .... stabbings, violence attacks, rape ..... its unreal

if you don't have kids in school, its all hush hush too, I still have a 16 year old in school, i'm in tune with how tough it is

You are right, some parents wouldn't care but dang some would, many would and look at the difference it could make
I am a teacher so within my school, I know everything about it. 

Not sure about the bolded. As I mentioned already. The guns are locked in a gun safe. The bolts or trigger mechanisms (semi auto) are locked in a different safe in a different location.. Even if someone broke into the gun safe, they wouldn't be able to steal a working firearm. My Glock is in a separate biometric safe in a third location (not easily found). 
everyone is different on how to handle their weapons, I trust everyone doing it their way for a reason

that's correct

there were three armed resource officers at Santa Fe, right?

there were three armed resource officers at Santa Fe, right?
I've not read for a fact

If you want me to guess .... they engaged this shooter quickly and saved a lot of lives, that's why there are a couple of officers injured.

If you want me to guess further the 17 year old got into the school in by way of an ungaurded entry.

I am a teacher so within my school, I know everything about it. 
do you think the Sante Fe teachers then knew this kid was a ticking time bomb?

let me ask this .... the #1 kid in your school that could do such a thing as this ..... can you think of one? if you can, why is that student still allowed in school ?

do you think the Sante Fe teachers then knew this kid was a ticking time bomb?

let me ask this .... the #1 kid in your school that could do such a thing as this ..... can you think of one? if you can, why is that student still allowed in school ?
Yes, I can think of a few kids. One of even made some sort of threats at what point. He thought it was a joke and I actually think he sees it like that. His thing was white males aren't allowed to make jokes anymore. But there are other kids who it would not surprise me at all if they did something horrible. 

I've not read for a fact

If you want me to guess .... they engaged this shooter quickly and saved a lot of lives, that's why there are a couple of officers injured.

If you want me to guess further the 17 year old got into the school in by way of an ungaurded entry.
What we know is that one got shot and that three armed officers did not prevent this.  More guns on school campuses is not a solution, despite what Trump and the NRA say.   

Ok let’s have single payer healthcare so people can afford treatment.  I don’t think it’s a coincedence that we have (by far) the most expensive healthcare and the most mentally ill shooters (also by far).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread