What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (4 Viewers)

It looks like they have quit on their coach.  This game is every Mike Tomlin against a ####ty team game.
ALL THE TIME, over and over again. This is getting to marvin Lewis levels of ineptitude.  Oh wait,  his team came to play when it actually didn't matter. So this is tomlin levels of ineptitude. 

Not sure how much cap space they have with the bump and Bell’s number off the books. Marcus Mohser connected Sean Lee to the Steelers. I hope they move on from Butler but if they added Lee and Earl Thomas plus one of these fantastic EDGE’s in the draft it could do a lot to fix some problems.

Soooo close but truth be told a team that squeaks by a depleted Bengals team at home with the playoffs on the line doesn’t deserve it.  Sorry.  So disappointed in this season as they let what was almost a certain playoff berth a few weeks ago slip away.
Still could get the tie LOL

Soooo close but truth be told a team that squeaks by a depleted Bengals team at home with the playoffs on the line doesn’t deserve it.  Sorry.  So disappointed in this season as they let what was almost a certain playoff berth a few weeks ago slip away.
Exactly,  they barely beat one of the worst teams in the league. But no one is really surprised is the funny part.  I hope everyone is ready for the same sh@@ next year, because its getting worse before it gets better 

Also, Ben’s post game presser didn’t sound like a man who had played his last game... so there’s that.
I know the Steelers could do a lot worse the Ben, but he threw 16 INTs this year and many of them were in the red zone.  For a sure-fire hall-of-famer he sure makes a lot of mistakes.  Boswell, Tomlin and the defense take a lot of heat for the under achieving season, but Ben seems to get a pass.  I'm glad it appears that Ben will be back, but he needs to play WAY better next year. 

I know the Steelers could do a lot worse the Ben, but he threw 16 INTs this year and many of them were in the red zone.  For a sure-fire hall-of-famer he sure makes a lot of mistakes.  Boswell, Tomlin and the defense take a lot of heat for the under achieving season, but Ben seems to get a pass.  I'm glad it appears that Ben will be back, but he needs to play WAY better next year. 
Sounds like a coaching staff issue. They need to take the ball out of his hands in the goal to go situations and use their 235 lb backs.

If tomlin is still around it just doesn't matter. 
Tomlin has had a rough season, but we cannot let that cloud what he has accomplished. We beat green bay in the super bowl if not for mendenhall fumble. This was a full season without shazier and a 14mm waste of space. Next season there will be a more complete team. 

And don’t start on this Cowher would have won 5 rings with Ben. He had a HOF rb and some great defenses and did not have to deal with a Patriot dynasty and he barely won one with the refs making some bad calls. 

Disappointing season as this team at its best could have won the whole thing. Lets hope

ben comes back as they should be even better next year. Maybe the kicker hits more that 60%. 

They are not firing Tomlin while Ben is here and there is a championship window — rooneys wont hire a vet coach for a few seasons. They will want another longterm answer and that wont work with ben and ab. 

Tomlin has had a rough season, but we cannot let that cloud what he has accomplished. We beat green bay in the super bowl if not for mendenhall fumble. This was a full season without shazier and a 14mm waste of space. Next season there will be a more complete team. 

And don’t start on this Cowher would have won 5 rings with Ben. He had a HOF rb and some great defenses and did not have to deal with a Patriot dynasty and he barely won one with the refs making some bad calls. 

Disappointing season as this team at its best could have won the whole thing. Lets hope

ben comes back as they should be even better next year. Maybe the kicker hits more that 60%. 

They are not firing Tomlin while Ben is here and there is a championship window — rooneys wont hire a vet coach for a few seasons. They will want another longterm answer and that wont work with ben and ab. 
A+ post

I’ll save my complaining about Tomlin for the Fire Tomlin thread...

I also don’t think it’s a great sign that there haven’t been whispers about Butlers tenure. I would at least like to see him replaced. Todd Bowles, as previously mentioned, would be ideal. According to spotrac there is $20 mil in cap space without them being creative and extrending player, moving bonuses, etc. Here is the list of Steelers free agents with Ramon Foster being the most important one (outside of Lev Bell who is already considered out the door). Many role players in the list and I expect them to be brought back on league minimum salaries if they fit in the budget. 

They need to get someone on the other side of Watt, considering Dupree has never lived up to his athleticism. Dream names would be Clowney or Ford, unlikely considering they’ll be franchised or signed to major deals that Pitt usually doesn’t do. Vets like Clay Matthews and Terrell Suggs are scheduled to be FA and likely to re-sign with their own teams. Shane Ray is another name out there. I think the draft may be where this is solved. 

ILB has some interesting names coming to free agency (and could include Sean Lee who I mentioned in a previous post). Names who have had some NFL success include Denzel Perryman, Kwon Alexander, Cory Littleton (RFA), Deone Buchanan and CJ Mosley (candidate for Franchise tag I’d assume). 

CB I’ve never been good at analyzing (much like Kevin Colbert). I know it needs upgraded. If anyone is sharp with CB feel free to fill in the blank. Names I recognize but can’t recommend: Kareem Jackson, Jason Verrett, Darqueze Dennard, Jason McCourty, Morris Claiborne, Bashad Breeland.

Safety was again a mess this year. Hopefully Edmunds grows but it looks like another athlete over football player type deal. Various rookie safeties drafted after him looked better. Jessie Bates and Justin Reid look like the real deal. Anyway, Morgan Burnett is terrible and Sean Davis probably equally so. There are a lot of veteran names available: Eric Reid, Tre Boston, Tyrann Mathieu, Mike Adams, Kentrell Brice, Clayton Geathers, Matthias Fairley (RFA), Lamarcus Joyner, Earl Thomas, Kenny Vacaro, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Landon Collins (most likely Franchised). 

2019 needs almost 100% focus on defense. If they do anything on offense I would hope it would be to enhance OL depth and not explore WR, RB, TE or QB again. It would be a waste of draft capital. Also, with how deep the 2019 free agent safety class is you really have to question some of Colbert’s foresight especially with what a stud Darius Leonard became. Hindsight is 20/20 though. I initially trusted that decision but it looks to be a somewhat costly decision in the short term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that sucked.  It feels like we were 1 or 2 plays/calls/unlucky bounces from winning every one of the games we lost or tied. We went toe to toe with the best of the NFL, while also losing to some crap teams.  The thing that makes me most sad, is that I'm not sure what we can do to turn things around. Our D looks lethargic half the time and has poor tackling mechanics, our O-line is great but getting older, our offense lacks depth at the skill positions, we might only have 1 returning OLB next year if we let Dupree go from his 5th year option, our ILBs are woefully inadequate to perform at a high level week over week, our secondary has disappointed since Polamalu and Clark passed their primes. It just seems like so much, but at the same time, if we had a little more luck this year we could have had 4+ more wins, it's crazy. 

I think we just draft and try to get some people in FA and keep the same leadership. If, next year, we don't make the AFC Championship, it's time to start over. New everything from the ground up (not GM imo). 

Excellent article. Ledyard is one of the best Steelers analysts out there and he's been beating the fire Joey Porter drum for years now. Mike Tomlin's not going anywhere so they need to shore up his weaknesses...which they probably won't. I think the criticism of Colbert is also warranted. For all the picks they've spent on defense they really don't have much to show for it (not that Butler is helping).

I really hope Rooney lays down the law about replacing some coaches and time/challenge management.
I’m not sure how fair that is. Shazier was a stud and impossible to replace but great pick none the less. I think he’s batting pretty decent in comparison to other GM’s. Tuitt and Heyward are awesome and Watt looks like a future EDGE stud. Hargrave has quietly been a great pick. Joe Haden also a good to great FA pickup. Vince Williams also a solid but unspectacular addition. The secondary has been sour though and they need a fresh approach to it. Whoever is doing the DB scouting is not good and either needs to stop advising Colbert or if it’s Colbert himself he needs to identify it as a major deficiency. Haden was lucky seeing as they were poo slinging at the time and he stuck and returned to early career form. They put a heavy emphasis on athleticism and I know that’s why they missed on Leonard seeing he did not match up to any of the top 4 LB’s. I’m not sure how you correct that though. Since the Jarvis Jones pick it’s like they swore to never let someone who has a bum workout burn them again and, honestly, that thought process has worked out pretty well for them.

Wow, just read what I'd term and explosive article on AB: Why AB did not play week 17

Could this be the end for him as a Steeler? I 'd tend to think likely but hard for them to much with him until after June 1. I checked and per Overthecap if they cut or traded him before June 1 they'd get about $20M in dead space but can get that down to around $7M if they do it after June 1, plus pick up more salary cap savings.

If they decide Tomlin is staying AB needs to go. If AB is staying they better have someone who doesn’t tolerate this nonsense. In any case, AB is off his ####### rocker. Time to cut him loose, I don’t know if he’s taken one too many Burfict hits but he’s lost his mind. He’s not the loveable leave it all out there guy anymore. He’s become a TO like monster. 

In any case, AB is off his ####### rocker. Time to cut him loose, I don’t know if he’s taken one too many Burfict hits but he’s lost his mind.
Yea this is true, he's been incredibly odd going back to training camp this year,  all kidding aside something seems truly off.

Wow, just read what I'd term and explosive article on AB: Why AB did not play week 17

Could this be the end for him as a Steeler? I 'd tend to think likely but hard for them to much with him until after June 1. I checked and per Overthecap if they cut or traded him before June 1 they'd get about $20M in dead space but can get that down to around $7M if they do it after June 1, plus pick up more salary cap savings.
 Would that type of conduct be in violation of a personal conduct clause that could be within the contract and if so does that offer cap remief if they cut him?   what do we think they can get for him in terms of a trade?   Would there be other NFL teams willing to trade for a head case?

The player in question he threw a ball at was Roethlisberger. Time for everyone to get off of ####### auto pilot and make some tough decisions. Going to have to be AB or Tomlin... one of the two has to go.

Well I didn't think we could get a worse end of the season situation then last year when we found out that some Steelers were so lackluster in preparing for the Jags playoff game they hardly even practiced.   Proven wrong again

If this is all based on Big Ben,  imagine how awful AB is going to be when Dobbs is sending him ground balls 20 yards down the field because his arm sucks.

Would that type of conduct be in violation of a personal conduct clause that could be within the contract and if so does that offer cap remief if they cut him?   what do we think they can get for him in terms of a trade?   Would there be other NFL teams willing to trade for a head case?
Good question on the player conduct but I think that would need to be a league mandated type of suspension to be able to void any part of his contract.

I think he'd have a robust market. WR is a big need across the NFL landscape and the miss rate has been high in the drafts.

Iceman03 said:
If they decide Tomlin is staying AB needs to go. If AB is staying they better have someone who doesn’t tolerate this nonsense. In any case, AB is off his ####### rocker. Time to cut him loose, I don’t know if he’s taken one too many Burfict hits but he’s lost his mind. He’s not the loveable leave it all out there guy anymore. He’s become a TO like monster. 
If it was tolerated he would have played?

Souring on AB.  He's becoming Owensesque.  

Ftr you get rid of AB it's a 21 mil cap hit ... I think

Excuses pouring in for Tomlin and AB but the ones suggesting they go are the ones not living in reality.... I think some are avoiding some hard truths here. I’ll stop with it until the organization makes a decisions. What I think happens: Tomlin stays and some way, shape or form AB goes. Next season is close to an all or nothing for Tomlin, maybe Ben’s last with Herbert, Tua, maybe Haskins if he doesn’t declare this year and depending on the level Frohm plays at. Love the Steelers, they’ve been a pinnacle of consistency but can’t help but feel everyone in the building is on auto pilot and trying to keep deep rooted problems as surface deep. Ryan Clark was on ESPN trashing AB and Harrison was trashing Tomlin last week. I can’t recall anyone doing that to Cowher or players still on the team after they had left before (which honestly doesn’t mean much it’s rhetoric by two dudes trying to build press resume in a 2019 classless press environment). 

Different generation of players and self promotion cowher v tomlin. 

They need AB. Love JuJu but it was obvious that the offense was stuck in mud without AB as a threat out there; and a $21m cap hit means he is untradable  

Different generation of players and self promotion cowher v tomlin. 

They need AB. Love JuJu but it was obvious that the offense was stuck in mud without AB as a threat out there; and a $21m cap hit means he is untradable  
If they can't figure a way to dramatically reduce the cap and/or dead money then I don't see how they can get rid of AB.   My guess is there will be some kind of meeting between Tomlin, AB, Ben and the FO to come to some kind of a meeting of the minds and then all will come out and say everything is fine.

But everything is not fine.  I've been a Tomlin supporter but there needs to be some major changes made.   I don't know enough to say definitely what should change but special teams, defensive coordinator and linebacker coaches look like good places to start.  Unfortunately the one change that looks inevitable is offensive line coach because Munchak is getting HC consideration from a number of teams.

I thought the offseason bull**** was over after last year. They need to do whatever it takes to nip it in the bud and get this team a fresh start. I love AB and what he's done for this team, and the team will be much less talented without him, but the FO has some hard choices to make. If AB is going to sulk/bring a bad attitude and drag the team down, is it worth having his great talent on Sundays? I'm not sure, and that's why I don't get paid the big bucks.

If the Steelers stick to their traditional character, Bell and AB will be gone after this offseason. In an ideal world we'll be able to trade both (Bell franchised again at $14.5 and traded). But I'm not sure we'll be able to trade either because of their money situation. 

Also, our team will be worse for not having them. 13 points per game might be our new average...

Well the Tomlin presser was gross. Guy pretty much lied about the AB ordeal to make sure the organization didn’t take a hit for falsifying injury report. I can’t watch anymore of it. No mention of Butler and I doubt there is going to be. Nothing new revealed on the AB front. Nothing to be gained at all from what I watched. Players will just continue to reveal the bits and pieces of the story to the press or through their pod casts/radio shows and the organization will pretend everything is going to be ok. AB isn’t going anywhere with his 20mil cap hit, the staff isn’t changing at all because it’s been three days since the end of the season and it would pile onto the already ridiculous end. I’m just going to hope that the large opening in cap gets some decent defensive players and overcomes Butlers deficiencies. Nothing else to do. 

Well the Tomlin presser was gross. Guy pretty much lied about the AB ordeal to make sure the organization didn’t take a hit for falsifying injury report. I can’t watch anymore of it. No mention of Butler and I doubt there is going to be. Nothing new revealed on the AB front. Nothing to be gained at all from what I watched. Players will just continue to reveal the bits and pieces of the story to the press or through their pod casts/radio shows and the organization will pretend everything is going to be ok. AB isn’t going anywhere with his 20mil cap hit, the staff isn’t changing at all because it’s been three days since the end of the season and it would pile onto the already ridiculous end. I’m just going to hope that the large opening in cap gets some decent defensive players and overcomes Butlers deficiencies. Nothing else to do. 
Almost all head coach press conferences are useless with very little new information given.    

Well actually he did say AB hasn’t been in contact with the organization since Sunday... so there is that. 
Good.  It's probably better that all sides take a little time out and hopefully calmer heads will prevail.  As much as we're sick of AB's antics he would be a very difficult player to replace.

Yeah it would have to be a dire situation to cut/trade AB.  The window with Ben is short and they need to maximize their probability of winning a Super Bowl in the next few years.  Trading AB does not do that.  It's not like he beat up a child/woman.  He may have some attitude issues (a lot of players have this) but he tremendously improves the team.  

Users who are viewing this thread