What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Royce Freeman, LAR (1 Viewer)

What have you seen from Freeman at this level that makes you think he will see 2x as many carries as Booker?
This is a silly silly question after two preseason games.

I own neither player in dynasty and if Freeman goes in Round 4, I won't own him in my redraft either - but we know what Booker is, and it's been pretty bad. Elway stated during he offseason that improving the running game was a big priority and then went out and drafted a RB - do the math.

@Dr. Dan

How does the phrase "Freeman has a higher YPC overall but Booker has a higher YPC running out of traditional running formations" work for you?
If you want to use such tiny sample sizes you need to factor a lot of things into it: Were any carries short yardage carries, who was playing with first string o-line and who was playing with the second o-line, was there a blown assignment where the ball carrier got blown up in the backfield....

If you do not think Freeman is super-talented (and I wouldn't disagree if you didn't) that's one thing - but let's not use ypc on a handful of carries in the preseason to make your argument. It's a poor choice on your part imo.

Stuart Ullman said:
A ton of "excellent" responses here.
Uh, other than my snarky first response there (from me), none of the rest were in the "un-excellent" category. If you think they are, then that's much more a reflection upon you and not the comments themselves. In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

Again, sarcasm doesn't make a comment un-excellent. Just sayin'

Dr. Dan said:
Yeah I tend to talk about the rookies leaving Barkley out of it. Because the consensus seems to be who is going to be most relevant in 2018 besides him. I guess I should clarify that at times. 
I knew what you meant. There's Barkley and there's everyone else. Two different planes. 

I love how the Royce fan boys bring up how bad Booker has played this pre-season trying to prove he'll lose the job. But when Ullman asks for some pre-season evidence in favor of Freeman, or mentions his ypc, the whole pre-season argument doesn't count anymore. 

I love how the Royce fan boys bring up how bad Booker has played this pre-season trying to prove he'll lose the job. But when Ullman asks for some pre-season evidence in favor of Freeman, or mentions his ypc, the whole pre-season argument doesn't count anymore. 
Nobody is using Booker's poor performance in the preseason as evidence that Freeman will be the starter. Everyone is citing Booker's career stats as a player and as a starter (which are even worse than when he doesn't start). What people are citing about the preseason is it didn't take long for the rook to be splitting time. Book got the first carry in game 2 then he watched while Freeman did his thing. Usually camp battles like this take a little longer and the rookie has to spend a lot more time facing the 2nd string, but the coaches have Freeman out there facing the first string and blocking for the starting QB in games that don't matter. Anyone who looks at that and thinks it's a good sign for Booker is delusional. 

Usually the unimpressive vet has a leg up due to a proficiency in pass blocking. But Booker is lacking there as well. Booker may actually be the fourth or fifth best rb on the roster currently...haven't seen enough David Williams to really have an opinion there.

He may start out in a pseudo timeshare but talent typically wins out over the course of a season and I expect freeman,Lindsay, and possibly Henderson to get plenty of play at rb. Booker basically has being a vet in his favor right now and that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually the unimpressive vet has a leg up due to a proficiency in pass blocking. But Booker is lacking there as well. Booker may actually be the fourth or fifth best rb on the roster currently...haven't seen enough David Williams to really have an opinion there.

He may start out in a pseudo timeshare but talent typically wins out over the course of a season and I expect freeman,Lindsay, and possibly Henderson to get plenty of play at rb. Booker basically has being a vet in his favor right now and that's about it.
Not to put words into your mouth, but are you picturing a NE/PHI type split of RB duties? 

Not to put words into your mouth, but are you picturing a NE/PHI type split of RB duties? 
I think it is possible but more likely that Freeman takes a lead role with a lesser role being carved out by another rb.

I know Denver likes Lindsay a lot and it has been said by players and media alike that he is going to have a significant role on the o. He is already a better 3rd down rb than Booker so if he and Freeman show proficiency in pass pro and don't fumble I think they end up being the rbs to own for fantasy purposes with Freeman being the 2 down grinder who gets the GL carries. All of this is pure speculation based on closely monitoring tc reports, quotes and preseason action.

Are you guys okay with his current 4th/5th round ADP? Or is it creeping into the 3rd? I’m kind of torn at the moment. Leaning pass at this point as I think it’s a bit too high.

I think I’d rather have Miller / Ajayi and def Collins / Henry over him but I think the latter will be gone by the end of the 3rd as they’re trending up. 

Are you guys okay with his current 4th/5th round ADP? Or is it creeping into the 3rd? I’m kind of torn at the moment. Leaning pass at this point as I think it’s a bit too high.

I think I’d rather have Miller / Ajayi and def Collins / Henry over him but I think the latter will be gone by the end of the 3rd as they’re trending up. 
Personally, I'm on board with him ending the year as the #1 RB in Denver and was ok with his current ADP, but as drafting season has gone along, I find myself liking his "value" less and less. 

anything 3rd/4th round I'm not buying. 5th round I'm on the fence depending what I've drafted already/ what is currently available. 

No, it's pretty outrageous. As bad as Booker has looked throughout his career, people have to count on Royce to be better, a lot better. If he's not head and shoulders better, this will be rbbc based on what the Broncos have said. So far, what has he shown that convinces anybody? He had a pretty good TD run avoiding a defender in the back field, give him credit for that. Otherwise he looks like a slow version of Jerome Bettis. 

I'm a big fan of the guy, but I'm not picking him in the 3rd. Too much other value there with more pedigree of playing in the actual NFL. 

To be fair that’s as much a credit to DEN Oline as Freeman. That gap at the line was significant (though nice vision/hesitation), and the secondary was caught with their pants down. 
not to take anything away from Freeman, but definitely nice work by the o-line and some piss poor ankle tackling

Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke 22m22 minutes ago

Broncos 1st half HB snap count:

Devontae Booker 14

Royce Freeman 11

Phillip Lindsay 8
I'm assuming these were all with Keenum under center. If not they're kind of worthless. 

rickyg said:
Ok.  I’m starting to warm up on him at 1.03 if he falls to me in my rookie draft lol 
Who do you think is going at 1.02? I would think drafts would go Barkley and then Freeman now. 

Was thinking about this today....Royce reminds me of Michael Turner when he was on Atlanta.  Big guy that doesn’t look like he runs very fast but is powerful and has good balance.  I see Royce having a similar type of production as Turner did.  Not many catches....better for a TD heavy league....but a productive, not a flashy runner.

I can't see myself pulling the trigger in the 3rd, specifically in ppr. Despite really liking Freeman in a vacuum I don't trust DEN to do the right thing and not give Booker half the touches out of the gate. I also now have to consider the fact that Lindsay may see a non-zero amount of work. To be honest the whole Drake, Collins, Freeman, Henry, Miller group scares the crap out of me. 

I got him in the 5th rd of a ten team draft last night as my rb2. I did get Booker later to hedge my bets though. 

Miller, Henry and Hyde were RBS in a similar tier that I took him over.

Who do you think is going at 1.02? I would think drafts would go Barkley and then Freeman now. 
Well, in a dyno I do still think Chubb is a better long term bet.  I think Chubb is a supreme talent.  You’ll just have to wait a year to can in.  So I guess it depends on where your team is.  Rebuild?  Take Chubb at 1.2. Win now?  Maybe go freeman. I think I’d be happy with either at 1.3 

I got him 4.12/5.01 Friday and was pretty stoked to have an upside RB2. He’s looked fantastic in the preseason & I can’t imagine any scenario where Booker plays his way to a larger role. I can very easily imagine a scenario where Booker plays his way to a “give Freeman an occasional breather” role. 

For evidence, see: Booker’s entire career getting beat out by mediocre RBs or better. 

Watched him a fair amount in college, and he was beast at that level for sure.....admittedly, I'm no great analyst of talent, but the patience I'm hearing about looks like being tenative to me

Well I drafted him. So here's my :blackdot:

What are we dealing with here?
An exceptional prospect:

Size- 6 feet, 229

Athletic- 4.54, scored really high on agility drills

Production- Compiled 6600 yards, 64 TDs and 79 receptions at Oregon. 

Preseason- He is making plays and scoring TDs with the 1st team

An exceptional prospect:

Size- 6 feet, 229

Athletic- 4.54, scored really high on agility drills

Production- Compiled 6600 yards, 64 TDs and 79 receptions at Oregon. 

Preseason- He is making plays and scoring TDs with the 1st team
I likes

Funny that @Stuart Ullman has disappeared. Was it those three runs by Booker who got a total of 9 yards, or was it that TD run by Freeman against the 1's? The ONLY thing Booker has going for him last night is that he got the first and second carry but didn't even get to finish the first drive. He got two carries and Freeman came in on the first drive. 

Funny that @Stuart Ullman has disappeared. Was it those three runs by Booker who got a total of 9 yards, or was it that TD run by Freeman against the 1's? The ONLY thing Booker has going for him last night is that he got the first and second carry but didn't even get to finish the first drive. He got two carries and Freeman came in on the first drive. 
Please don't do that. Gloating and "I told you sos" achieve nothing and ruin threads.  If you must, take it to PM.

For those who like Freeman ... does 1,200 combined from scrimmage and 7 TDs seem more his floor or his ceiling?

One of the major info sources I use has finally moved Royce Freeman into their RB2 category, behind Jay Ajayi, Derrick Henry, and Chris Carson .. and just ahead of Jamaal Williams and 12 games of Mark Ingram.

Please don't do that. Gloating and "I told you sos" achieve nothing and ruin threads.  If you must, take it to PM.
Scroll back up. You will see Stuart saying how he can't wait to bump this thread later on. 

And thanks for playing board cop...

Scroll back up. You will see Stuart saying how he can't wait to bump this thread later on. 

And thanks for playing board cop...
I'm aware of the entire exchange between you two. We all are.

Stuart went off the rails a couple days ago, even JB told him to rein it in, and you have an opportunity to get over on him. I understand that temptation, I have given in to that temptation.  But what does it accomplish? It derails threads, that's it.  The only thing you have control of in this world is your response.  All I am saying is that in some situations (most) taking the high ground is another option that I believe it offers a higher value reward.

YMMV

I'm aware of the entire exchange between you two. We all are.

Stuart went off the rails a couple days ago, even JB told him to rein it in, and you have an opportunity to get over on him. I understand that temptation, I have given in to that temptation.  But what does it accomplish? It derails threads, that's it.  The only thing you have control of in this world is your response.  All I am saying is that in some situations (most) taking the high ground is another option that I believe it offers a higher value reward.

YMMV
Agree 100%

Users who are viewing this thread