What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (2 Viewers)

conversely, my daughter has completely forgotten how to swing.  Her stance is ugly, her actual swing is bad, and she is relying on pitchers walking her.  She has one hit all season, but is somehow leading the team in quality at-bats.  I no longer take any stock in that stat.  lol
Midway through our season my 9 hitter was tied for the team lead in OBP, with 0 hits.  Just kept drawing walks.  

Just popping in to ibrag.

Little belljr has gone legit yard 3 times this year :)    Shes really smoking the ball.  SS is still hot and cold due to playing time at SS.  

On a whole our team is pretty good but we need another pitcher.

Our indoor facility is going out of business this summer :unsure:   no idea what we are going to do.

Only 2 months left --- it goes quick
Good job.

My daughter pitched up in a 14B tournament and threw a 3 hit shutout.  First time at 43 feet.  Super proud.  

Yeah we had a kid using the Blue one in USSSA.    We didnt even care but the ump heard one of our kids say something and they tossed her.  We were up 14-0 lol.  We tried to allow it but the ump said sorry not your call.
You can use the Blue Ghost for ASA, but not the Gold one.  You can use the Gold Ghost for USSSA, but not the Blue one.  I heard they are making a universal one. 

My daughters Gold Ghost broke after a month.  Just too flimsy, but my daughter loves it.  

Daughter(sophomore) made Varsity this spring. She was playing a bit(catcher), mostly in blowouts, started one game. Then she got Mono and has been out for the past month. She can start playing again next week if all checks out  :kicksrock:  

You can use the Blue Ghost for ASA, but not the Gold one.  You can use the Gold Ghost for USSSA, but not the Blue one.  I heard they are making a universal one. 

My daughters Gold Ghost broke after a month.  Just too flimsy, but my daughter loves it.  
I know. That's why she was kicked out.   But its still stupid they didn't certify the Gold for all....

Daughter(sophomore) made Varsity this spring. She was playing a bit(catcher), mostly in blowouts, started one game. Then she got Mono and has been out for the past month. She can start playing again next week if all checks out  :kicksrock:  
My biggest gripe about high school sports. Put the kid on the JV where she'll play consistently. 

My biggest gripe about high school sports. Put the kid on the JV where she'll play consistently. 
Agree, they have a freshman pitcher that is also on Varsity. The coach has tried to keep them together as a battery, other than garbage time they played in a couple JV games together but that's about it. They have a strong Varsity so I understand them not getting the PT but some JV PT would be nice once in a while.  :)

Agree, they have a freshman pitcher that is also on Varsity. The coach has tried to keep them together as a battery, other than garbage time they played in a couple JV games together but that's about it. They have a strong Varsity so I understand them not getting the PT but some JV PT would be nice once in a while.  :)
Yeah our girls are going to be freshman.  Our school does it wrong the opposite way.   They will keep a freshman team together almost at all costs.   That is awful too.  Our 3 girls are hoping they make varsity but I told them I'd rather you play JV as a freshman than sit the bench on varsity.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah our girls are going to be freshman.  Our school does it wrong the opposite way.   They will keep a freshman team together almost at all costs.   That is awful too.  Or 3 girls are hoping they make varsity but I told them I'd rather you play JV as a freshman than sit the bench on varsity.   
There is an advantage to keeping them together too.  I read an article about running a program and the varsity coach said he had his best coaches (at teaching the game ) at the freshman level and never brought up any freshman.  They had that first year to learn from the best teachers on how his program did things.  They were able to get a year under their belt with consistency and learning the right way to do things without the pressure of winning.  He believed it gave all players the best foundation for moving forward when the pressure to win got much higher.

I think there is some merit to this but you also have to have some competition at that level to push the kids.  Many areas don't have the luxury of lower level teams being competitive or the coaches available to teach properly.  I think the concept is good but in reality it probably doesn't work to its potential for most teams because of other variables.  Its a fine line between pushing younger players before they are ready and having them get bored if the competition is too bad at the lower levels. 

There is an advantage to keeping them together too.  I read an article about running a program and the varsity coach said he had his best coaches (at teaching the game ) at the freshman level and never brought up any freshman.  They had that first year to learn from the best teachers on how his program did things.  They were able to get a year under their belt with consistency and learning the right way to do things without the pressure of winning.  He believed it gave all players the best foundation for moving forward when the pressure to win got much higher.

I think there is some merit to this but you also have to have some competition at that level to push the kids.  Many areas don't have the luxury of lower level teams being competitive or the coaches available to teach properly.  I think the concept is good but in reality it probably doesn't work to its potential for most teams because of other variables.  Its a fine line between pushing younger players before they are ready and having them get bored if the competition is too bad at the lower levels. 
Yes - I should have added.  When I say all costs they will take "rec kids" that probably have no business playing in high school to make sure the freshman team stays together.

I agree there are advantages but our reality is  - 3 of the kids are play high level club.  2 or 3 mid level. 1 town travel.   The rest are going to be rec kids that didnt make the middle school team this year.....

Nice to see the thread come back! It is a great time of year.

Both daughters are playing on 16a teams this year, one 14 one 16.  the 14 y/o is getting a baptism by fire some games but is also learning to compete and had her first over the fence home run this year too.  16 year old is tearing it up 4 tournaments in since spring started she's got 9 hrs and one game winning grand slam.   she also got her first invite to a college, a NAIA school in Kansas.   Pretty cool.  

Man, am I the only one with a son that plays baseball?  We just ended his 13U club season here in Arizona as it gets way too hot to play in the summer.  My son ended the season as our team's best pitcher leading us in innings, ERA, Wins, and strikeouts.  He played very well defensively in the outfield and 1st base.  He just needs to continue to improve on hitting.  He will continue to take hitting lessons over the summer.

Man, am I the only one with a son that plays baseball?  We just ended his 13U club season here in Arizona as it gets way too hot to play in the summer.  My son ended the season as our team's best pitcher leading us in innings, ERA, Wins, and strikeouts.  He played very well defensively in the outfield and 1st base.  He just needs to continue to improve on hitting.  He will continue to take hitting lessons over the summer.
My son plays tee-ball!  Which made coaching softball interesting last night because he had a game at the same time and it was my family's turn to run concessions. Luckily the other family assigned would't let me relieve him for my shift and he insisted I go back to coaching first base. I did have to clean and close the stand after I got done dragging the field though...

ETA: but on the plus side, free hot dogs!

Little belljr in a big slump right now. Swing hasn't changed much but shes striking out a little more than normally and just not hitting well.

We did not play well this weekend.  We played in a Elite Select Tournament and did not fair well. We went 2-3 on the weekend.  Probably should have went 3-3 or 3-2

We can just not hit all of a sudden and me made some terrible errors on routine plays. Looked like a rec team almost.   It was bad....

Not our best showing

Son plays 13U as well, but in OH.  We're in mid-season right now.  A couple of good outings at pitcher, and he's hitting the ball really well.  The team as a whole is not faring so well.  This team has been together for 5 years and showed a lot of promise last year.  This year I think we're finally seeing some of the kids decide baseball isn't their "first sport", and the focus isn't there.  Coaches are starting hear more excuses and "mystery arm pain" from all players - not just pitchers.  It's frustrating, but I guess growing pains all teams go through at this age.  My son is one of those "baseball first" kids, and his frustration is starting to show more every game.  Before he'd never dream of changing teams and would talk about it.  This season he's openly discussing the possibility and asking what he should do.  

Found out today the daughters are going to play each other in a tournament the first weekend in June.   We will see if the younger daughter gets the pitching start against the older daughters team.  Could be a long day for someone and they don't get along well in competitive situations. They played once in the fall but the younger daughter played first and didn't pitch.  Older daughter hit a walk off home run in  that game to win 9-8.  we will have to see if we can keep the family together that weekend. 

Younger daughter had some excitement this week.  a division one school looked at her profile on sports recruits.   She was very excited.   we got two notifications about it 14 hours apart so it sounds like maybe two different people looked at it.  at the very least it wasn't an accident.   she will be a freshman this fall but I suppose they start looking at people that early.   you can never have enough pitching right.  just wondering how they got her name, maybe you can search positions as a coach or they may have seen her at one of these last few tournaments.   I think there were some coaches there incognito. 

Found out today the daughters are going to play each other in a tournament the first weekend in June.   We will see if the younger daughter gets the pitching start against the older daughters team.  Could be a long day for someone and they don't get along well in competitive situations. They played once in the fall but the younger daughter played first and didn't pitch.  Older daughter hit a walk off home run in  that game to win 9-8.  we will have to see if we can keep the family together that weekend. 

Younger daughter had some excitement this week.  a division one school looked at her profile on sports recruits.   She was very excited.   we got two notifications about it 14 hours apart so it sounds like maybe two different people looked at it.  at the very least it wasn't an accident.   she will be a freshman this fall but I suppose they start looking at people that early.   you can never have enough pitching right.  just wondering how they got her name, maybe you can search positions as a coach or they may have seen her at one of these last few tournaments.   I think there were some coaches there incognito. 
My daughter is in 8th grade. I porbably should fill out something.    We didnt even update our website....  I'm 50/50 on if she plays in college.  I mean she 100% has the ability. Not sure I care if she does play... 

Been there, done that. My son is now a college freshman and just completed his season of riding the bench at a DIII school. 

My daughter is in 8th grade. I porbably should fill out something.    We didnt even update our website....  I'm 50/50 on if she plays in college.  I mean she 100% has the ability. Not sure I care if she does play... 
The organization my daughter plays for has a person that coaches some but has a main job of keeping the girls informed and contacting coaches etc.  she knows what she is doing.  a nice addition to have to our own efforts. 

The organization my daughter plays for has a person that coaches some but has a main job of keeping the girls informed and contacting coaches etc.  she knows what she is doing.  a nice addition to have to our own efforts. 
Yeah - we are behind in that regard.  We dont have any experience

belljr said:
Yeah - we are behind in that regard.  We dont have any experience
you might consider joining an organization,  seems like most around here will let you bring a team in complete.  the connections alone are worth it if the kids want to play in college. 

you might consider joining an organization,  seems like most around here will let you bring a team in complete.  the connections alone are worth it if the kids want to play in college. 
We are. Just not huge. But we don't have one person dedicated to this. Usually the older coaches show the younger the ropes.  We've placed plenty of college girls but haven't started

The head coach has been behind with updating the website also

Proud Dad here - my daughter just started playing last fall but she worked hard the past 6 months to catch up and 3 weeks ago got picked as a pitcher for the 8U All Star team.  We’re now two tournaments deep (have multiple games today) and my girl has been dominant on the mound as the lead pitcher and is also the team’s leading hitter thus far.  I have zero aspirations for her other than to have fun, make new friends, and learn some life lessons, but I have to admit it’s really fun to see some rewards for all the extra work she put in the last several months.  Cherry on top is that she now understands baseball and enjoys watching a couple innings of Padre baseball with Dad on occasion.  I’ve never been more proud or had more fun!  

so glad i'm not on facebook - i keep getting texts from a parent about how a girls parents from another team are posting crap.   I'm starting to run into a couple douches along the way over stupid softball.   Listen people your kid is not playing at Alabama and even if she does so what.   You dont need to knock other teams.

I just text don't care.  And how the coach is now all fired up to beat them etc.  I honestly dont care at this point.

We had a rough weekend this weekend in a really big tournament didnt win a seed game - they split the bracket up based on seeding and we ended up in the lowest bracket.

We ended up winning that bracket. 

So some guy from a kid who was on our team then left mid year and went back to their original team posted something about its better to have played against the better teams and lose in bracket day then to win against the bottom teams.

Never named us by name but obviously directed at us since a couple of our parents posted about it.

Do you really think our plan was to suck for 6 games? Of course we want to play against the better teams....

So stupid.   I'm almost done with all this to be honest. I dont care all that much about it anymore.... :lol:

We've been very lucky avoiding ##### bags for the most part. There are a lot of them out there in youth sports in general unfortunately. I feel that the organization you belong to has a lot to do with that. Rules regarding coach/parent/player conduct and expectations need to be spelled out from the get go. If the whole organization is on the same page(admins, coaches, parents, players) and there are consequences(no matter how great a player is) then things run a lot smoother. 

We've been very lucky avoiding ##### bags for the most part. There are a lot of them out there in youth sports in general unfortunately. I feel that the organization you belong to has a lot to do with that. Rules regarding coach/parent/player conduct and expectations need to be spelled out from the get go. If the whole organization is on the same page(admins, coaches, parents, players) and there are consequences(no matter how great a player is) then things run a lot smoother. 
I agree.  We aren't like that ... and we didnt think he was like that

Daughter played in the Memorial Day Madness Tournament in Carlisle, PA.  Went 4-2 in pool play and made it to the Gold Bracket.  Lost the first game in bracket play then made it all the way to the championship game in "losers" bracket until we blew a 4 run lead in the last inning.  Daughter was a beast all weekend at the plate.  Anytime she came up with runners in scoring position she got the job done and brought them home.  

Due to the weather not cooperating, it looks like we will head into the season this weekend with zero practices.  :unsure:

so glad i'm not on facebook - i keep getting texts from a parent about how a girls parents from another team are posting crap.   I'm starting to run into a couple douches along the way over stupid softball.   Listen people your kid is not playing at Alabama and even if she does so what.   You dont need to knock other teams.

I just text don't care.  And how the coach is now all fired up to beat them etc.  I honestly dont care at this point.

We had a rough weekend this weekend in a really big tournament didnt win a seed game - they split the bracket up based on seeding and we ended up in the lowest bracket.

We ended up winning that bracket. 

So some guy from a kid who was on our team then left mid year and went back to their original team posted something about its better to have played against the better teams and lose in bracket day then to win against the bottom teams.

Never named us by name but obviously directed at us since a couple of our parents posted about it.

Do you really think our plan was to suck for 6 games? Of course we want to play against the better teams....

So stupid.   I'm almost done with all this to be honest. I dont care all that much about it anymore.... :lol:
The only thing that surprises me about any of this is that this is the first time you've experienced this :lol:

watched the New Zealand Black Sox play vs the Midwest All-Stars (really, a few guys from 3 local teams) tonight.

NZ looks pretty good. we left in the 6th after yet another home run put NZ up 14 - 1.

some guy from NZ hit a softball a ####### country mile. never seen a softball hit that far and i've seen a lot of softball games. it was incredible.

TAKE IT TO THE BASEBALL THREAD GUY!#!@#!@    :)

Been there, done that. My son is now a college freshman and just completed his season of riding the bench at a DIII school. 
My oldest son plays on a town travel team for 12U that I have helped out with.  Unfortunately it has been the same kids for the last 3 years he has played.  There is a small group that seems to be there mostly to just jack around with friends.  At what age does this stop.  Of course I am the dad of a kid that is there to work hard, get better, and to have fun.  This group has a great opportunity as this year the High School varsity coach is now their head coach.  He had coached his older son but has now come down to coach his younger son.  I'm not looking to win nationals or anything but could you focus a little bit for the hour and a half practice?

My oldest son plays on a town travel team for 12U that I have helped out with.  Unfortunately it has been the same kids for the last 3 years he has played.  There is a small group that seems to be there mostly to just jack around with friends.  At what age does this stop.  Of course I am the dad of a kid that is there to work hard, get better, and to have fun.  This group has a great opportunity as this year the High School varsity coach is now their head coach.  He had coached his older son but has now come down to coach his younger son.  I'm not looking to win nationals or anything but could you focus a little bit for the hour and a half practice?
Just the fact that the coach is the varsity coach may change some of the kid's attitudes on effort. There will always be some kids that are just there to be there and dont care either way. 

My son played on some bad teams over the years. Baseball/softball is different than team sports like football. When you are up to bat, you have a job and it doesn't matter how good the rest of the team is at that moment. They cant help you or hurt you (like blocking in football). 

Agree with CJ that having the varsity coach their could cure some of the issues.  Other than that, look on the bright side, those kids are self selecting themselves out, and your son will stand out in comparison.  

Ended up getting my daughter an Axe "AvengeLite" bat for the spring and she loves it.  I don't know whether I buy their claim that from a pure physics standpoint the handle is superior for batspeed/control/pop but it makes some sense.  

Anyone else had good or bad experiences with Axe?  

dino259 said:
We are having the same problem at 13U.  We started the team when they were 9 and have 90% of the same kids.  Each year they have improved considerably and I thought this year would be where they really started putting things together.  However, it has been the worst year as far as work ethic and attitude (regarding being coachable).  We have three or four that work very hard, three or four that are decent, and three or four that don't give any effort and don't change anything about their approach and continue to make the same mistakes over and over. 

I wonder if they have just heard us (coaching staff has been the same) too much and they are tuning us out or if its just the age where they think they are just too cool to listen.  It's been a struggle.  We have lost to teams we have never lost to before mainly because of mistakes that they are making because they don't work to improve in practice.  It's easy to point to the players that are regressing as they are the non-workers in practice.  I think we are just going to ride out this season as half the team will go to High School next year so we will probably disband (not enough talent in the area to keep going). 

If you find the secret let me know.  hahaha

This is really not that big of deal since it's middle school softball but my daughter's team went 13-0 and won the championship again.

So the core of 6 went 26 - 0 in their middle school careers.

Kind of neat

Still truckin' along...... I can see the end of the 10u tunnel......    Gonna have to start that transition to the 12'' ball and Pitching distance....

Gotta get like another 30+ lbs on my girl too.....lol

Travel been a blast with other parents / hotels.... Kinda feel like we're a "b" travel team - we beat up on mediocre teams then face these Super Power teams in tourneys that just smoke us....

Little League still the same disaster it's always been....   I'm guessing this jump to 12 u is where we really find out where the girls stand. Lotta work to do but, she's still having fun!!!

How did it go? 
younger daughter did not pitch the game.  it was a showcase tournament so a junior on her team that the organization is trying to get committed pitched.  There were a lot of college coaches there early.  My older daughter bats third for her team and hit a 2 run home run in the first.  A little awkward as we were sitting close to the junior pitchers parents but it was all good.  My younger daughter only ran bases as a sub in the game.  Older daughters team ended up winning handily.  In the end though my daughters got into a fight on Sunday night after the tournament about whose team was better.  Had to separate them.  😤

The older daughters team lost in the championship round of the silver division.   the younger daughters team made it to the gold division but got beat pretty good all three games on Sunday.  They both went 2-1 in the pool play but another team did too and the olders daughter's team came in 3rd out of 4 by 1 run allowed.  

The daughters came out well personally.   The older daughter had 3 junior colleges and a D2 school look at her.  We are going to send her to a camp to get her evaluated for her skill level in college.   I think she could go D1 if she got a chance but not sure if she wants to put that much work in.  She plays 1st and 3rd.  Younger daughter pitched very well.  She is 14 pitching in 16s.  One hit the team that won the pool for 3 innings before they brought the junior pitcher in again on request from a college coach.  She had 5 Ks in those 3 innings.  Also pitched two full games on Sunday when a third pitcher couldn't get out of the first inning in 2 games they started her to get her looked at.  I think it totaled 8 full innings. The team ended up losing both the games because they were down 3 or 4 runs in the first inning.  Also by the last game 3 of their top 5 players were on the bench injured.  The cool thing was the coaches told us that they would look to get her placed in D1 if that is what she wants to commit to.  Her age, skill level,  and grades make a good candidate. 

Older daughter's team finally sealed the deal today.  Finally won a tournament instead of coming in 2nd.  She had a great championship game with 2 HRs (!) and a double.  4 runs batted in.  Another girl on the team had a two HR game the game before.   Really fun when a team comes together and plays well.

We had the most intense game I've witnessed over the weekend with our high school team. State regional finals game against the #1 ranked team in Division 2 and arguably the best pitcher in the State.  Lost 0-1 in 9 innings. Winning pitcher gave up two hits, struck out 17. Proud dad moment, my daughter had one of the hits. A one out single and then stole second in the top of the 9th inning. The other hit we had was a two out double off the fence in the top of the 7th.. 3' from going over.  Gut wrenching loss

Hot take: not sure why this sport exists. The girls and women are 100% capable of playing baseball. The 60' basepath fields are way too small for grown women to play on, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread