What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (1 Viewer)

Hey - any of you softball dads and/or coaches have one of those pocket radar coach things that you don't use anymore?  I'd like to start charting my daughter's speed to give her some goals, but $299 for a pocket radar gun is a bit much.  I'd be happy to hit someone with $100 or so if you have one in decent condition that is gathering dust.

113 days later and..... it's broken :hot:  
1 year warranty.  If ##### won't replace it contact Louisville.   I had a bat reached before.

That being said, don't use on a pitching machine or when it's cold out ....like below 45-50

And this virus has suxored.

Daughter missing freshman year and no gatherings, hope summer season still happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no.  Did you send it back?  How was Louisville customer service?
I did send it back, it was scheduled to be delivered yesterday.... which just so happens to be the same day that Louisville Slugger shut down due to COVID19.  I do not have an update on what UPS is going to do with the bat :(  

Customer service has been fair I suppose, the guy I spoke to yesterday made it sound like it would be a simple exchange process, you know... if they ever get the broken bat. 

ETA: the guy I talked to yesterday made it sound like they are real flexible with the "one year" part of the one year bat warranty, that is nice. 

1 year warranty.  If ##### won't replace it contact Louisville.   I had a bat reached before.

That being said, don't use on a pitching machine or when it's cold out ....like below 45-50

And this virus has suxored.

Daughter missing freshman year and no gatherings, hope summer season still happens
yeah we treated this thing like a baby... had a beater for the pitching machine, only used it indoors (as we've only had it in the winter,) and never left it in the car over night even on those weeks she had 6 practices. 

And I did call ****'s, I already had a warranty claim with LS when I did, but I figured it was worth a shot as their customer service has always been great: no dice though. 

I did send it back, it was scheduled to be delivered yesterday.... which just so happens to be the same day that Louisville Slugger shut down due to COVID19.  I do not have an update on what UPS is going to do with the bat :(  

Customer service has been fair I suppose, the guy I spoke to yesterday made it sound like it would be a simple exchange process, you know... if they ever get the broken bat. 
Yeah mine was pretty easy

Any advice for installing an at home batting cage? Best value for nets? I'm considering hanging with wires connected to some neighboring trees to avoid digging post holes. But that said, I'm not very handy so don't want to make a huge mess.

Any advice for installing an at home batting cage? Best value for nets? I'm considering hanging with wires connected to some neighboring trees to avoid digging post holes. But that said, I'm not very handy so don't want to make a huge mess.
How much space to you have?  I put in a cage that is about 45' long by 12' wide.  I bought a standard net (it was cheaper) but was a lot bigger than I needed.  I put in a concrete pad for the hitting area and decomposed granite for the rest.  I then overlayed artificial turf over the DG to keep it clean.  I got the turf online as a remnant so it was cheaper.   I sleeved the poles so I could remove them in the future if I didn't want the cage up.  The whole thing cost about $5K for all parts and installation.  It turned out great.

Lots of space. Was looking at 45-55 foot lengths and 10-12 widths. Sounds like you did a nice job. My budget is under $1k. I'll buy a nicer net if it will last longer, but will likely keep the floor simple at least at the start.

The wires and connections are the part that intimidate me for sure. Not confident in what I would be doing there. 

Lots of space. Was looking at 45-55 foot lengths and 10-12 widths. Sounds like you did a nice job. My budget is under $1k. I'll buy a nicer net if it will last longer, but will likely keep the floor simple at least at the start.

The wires and connections are the part that intimidate me for sure. Not confident in what I would be doing there. 
They sell net hanging kits that make it simple.  They key is making a good structure to hang it.

I also recommend making sure your hitting area is flat and clean (no mud, etc).  It really makes the use a lot better with no holes or mud to deal with.  

Got the Camwood training bat recently. My daughter loves it for tee use and soft toss. 40-50 swings with it (its 30-36) and when she then picks up her 30-19 Ghost, it's like a toothpick. I haven't measured batspeed or exit velocity, but I can tell she's whipping it better.  

Sad, mad, confused, disappointed all at once right now. Just got the email that our baseball has been cancelled for the season. We are a town travel team in Dane county, WI.  It sucks because plenty of other teams outside of Dane county are playing tournaments. The younger boys team has been getting 4-5 boys together on a regular basis.

I do understand the community organization is siding on safety but of all sports baseball/ softball are the ones that should be able to be played.

Got the Camwood training bat recently. My daughter loves it for tee use and soft toss. 40-50 swings with it (its 30-36) and when she then picks up her 30-19 Ghost, it's like a toothpick. I haven't measured batspeed or exit velocity, but I can tell she's whipping it better.  
You do any of the specific drills they recommend with it? Or just basic tee work dr

@tommyGunZ

Seen this before but was afraid to pull the trigger 

Sad, mad, confused, disappointed all at once right now. Just got the email that our baseball has been cancelled for the season. We are a town travel team in Dane county, WI.  It sucks because plenty of other teams outside of Dane county are playing tournaments. The younger boys team has been getting 4-5 boys together on a regular basis.

I do understand the community organization is siding on safety but of all sports baseball/ softball are the ones that should be able to be played.
Any reason you couldn't start a non affiliated team if all the parents want to and do some tournaments on your own?

Any reason you couldn't start a non affiliated team if all the parents want to and do some tournaments on your own?
That is a good question. One of the dad's is not afraid to step on toes.  Not sure if there would be any valid repercussions for those willing to play.

We started a Summer league for the local high school girls here.. So many Seniors that missed out on their season wanted to play..

Our school varsity coach didn't want to commit to it, so I'm coaching the team.  I've coached almost all the girls growing up and in travel ball.

14 total schools are in, double headers on Tuesday nights.. I'm pumped..

We started a Summer league for the local high school girls here.. So many Seniors that missed out on their season wanted to play..

Our school varsity coach didn't want to commit to it, so I'm coaching the team.  I've coached almost all the girls growing up and in travel ball.

That is awesome!  

Our travel team is re-starting practice next week on private property, and hoping to schedule 2 new tournaments in August.  We still have one scheduled for this month that has not been canceled, and I think we still have one or two on the calendar in July.  My fingers are crossed that we will get to play.  

My daughter is actually more concerned about when tryouts will be scheduled though... she wants off of this team for when she moves up to 14u next year. 

Picked the wrong year to stop coaching high school; the new coach coached a week and got a full season's check.  😭

Finally got the warranty replacement; it is the 2020 model... my daughter is more than pleased with that. Hopefully she actually gets to, you know, use it soon.
AND..........

...... the replacement bat is defective.

Ugh.  If you grip the bat with one hand on the barrel and the other on the grip and twist in opposite directions it makes a very distinctive, and unsettling, clicking noise.  One week out from our first summer tournament.  Perfect timing. 

ETA: I just found this online:  https://www.slugger.com/en-us/tru3-technology

Does anyone have access to "broken in" LXT they can check this on.  I am not so sure my daughter's bat even counts as broken in at this point.  She used it twice so far.

AND..........

Ugh.  If you grip the bat with one hand on the barrel and the other on the grip and twist in opposite directions it makes a very distinctive, and unsettling, clicking noise.  One week out from our first summer tournament.  Perfect timing. 

Does anyone have access to "broken in" LXT they can check this on.  I am not so sure my daughter's bat even counts as broken in at this point.  She used it twice so far.
What am I checking? We have 2018 lxt.

I couldn't twist either lol

AND..........

Slugger reviewed the video and made an exception to open a second warranty claim for us.  They should have the bat on Friday and claim they will have a new one sent out in 3-5 days if they find it to be truly defective (it is).   Her last two tournaments of the season are both this month (11th and 18th respectively),.  Although unlikely for the first, hopefully the new replacement will be back in time for one of them. 

My daughter is in the worst slump of her life.

Hammered the ball last weekend.  She is now like 0 for 20. Not agressive, digging holes for herself.  I don't know what to do at this point.

Swing looks fine she just is awful

She went from a top 3 hitter on the team to the worst by far

belljr said:
My daughter is in the worst slump of her life.

Hammered the ball last weekend.  She is now like 0 for 20. Not agressive, digging holes for herself.  I don't know what to do at this point.

Swing looks fine she just is awful

She went from a top 3 hitter on the team to the worst by far
Small sample size.  The more she forces or presses the worse it will get.  As long as swing is fine and she is hitting the ball hard things will turn around. 

I know you know this but its part of the game.  Learn how to deal with slumps without getting you down.  That trait is what makes a good player great.

Too many ks to be honest.  She got one ball out of the infield this weekend.  And probably kd looking 5 times...  It was brutal to watch

Team is playing well as a whole at least :)

Too many ks to be honest.  She got one ball out of the infield this weekend.  And probably kd looking 5 times...  It was brutal to watch
Backwards K's means she is in her own head.  That is a mental exercise.  Too passive.  Whenever players get there they are usually waiting and taking too many good pitches.  I would sometimes call hit and runs to make them swing and not have to decude to swing or not.  I would even do that with nobody on base if the pitcher was in control and around the plate.

Sometimes not thinking will help and being told you have to swing (hit and run) can do this.

I feel so bad for my daughter.  She's worked her ### off all year and has gotten worse. She turned it around for a couple weekends and has fallen off a cliff.  She has 5ks in her last 11 at bats.  All swinging. Even bit the bullet and took her to a hitting guy.   I just feel so bad for her.

She went from the 5 hole to now 10th.  She gets flexed on Sundays now because she plays the field but can't hit to save her life.

I wish there was a magic pill cause it's not lack of effort I can tell you that.  I just can't explain how you go to an above average hitter to well below.

Our team is also in a downward spiral. Our 7th week in a row and played some really good teams today and we looked like ####. 

I have been meaning to bump this thread to talk about the stress, and drama, and politics, and tears that were part of this tryout season.  Bottom line is my daughter has a new team for the upcoming season and I will no longer be one of her coaches.  It was not her 1st choice team, but it with a MUCH better organization than last season so things are looking better already.  Oh, and we are going to a new hitting guy too.

I have been meaning to bump this thread to talk about the stress, and drama, and politics, and tears that were part of this tryout season.  Bottom line is my daughter has a new team for the upcoming season and I will no longer be one of her coaches.  It was not her 1st choice team, but it with a MUCH better organization than last season so things are looking better already.  Oh, and we are going to a new hitting guy too.
My daughter has never seen anyone for hitting.  But with her struggling suddenly I decided she has to get a different point of view

How has it been going?

How has it been going?
It's over now.. Wasn't too bad, but abbreviated for us. A few games got cancelled due to different circumstances and then we shut down for two weeks because of a case of Covid (not on the team, but a family member of a player)

All in all, the girls were happy to have played and I was glad for the opportunity to have one last chance to coach my Senior daughter. She actually committed to our local community college, but to run Cross Country..lol

OH MY GOD, (12u)

The Drama... We just played pretty much a full season just shifted later into Summer..... Great times!!!!

Then Try Out season started.

Parents are INSANE... they panic, they huddle up, they feed off each other and Explode.

All season my thing was "Man I've been in Travel for almost 1.5 years and I feel like I can write a book"... then it goes to another level then another.

MINDBLOWING

To make it quick - Me and another Dad left an organization that was just horrible - 1st time young girl coach - Zero training. She was basically alone - Dad had to help coach in games. She coudn't manage the pitchers and put pitchers in with little warm up. She listened to the parents that Whined and played those kids...She had little time for the game and ran horrid practices that we sat there and mocked.

So me and this Guy Left last December and even 3 weeks ago we were saying it was so stressful at the time but, it was one of the greatest moves we could make

I talk to this guy almost every day for almost 2 years - Big Italian mafia guy tells me "Hey we're family My kid wants to play with your kid wherever we go we go together" Mostly talked and joked about how inept the old team was and how the parents were just not good people,

Last week he's like "Don't be nuts No one is leaving and no one would ever go back to that #### team"

This Weekend "LOL a bunch of the kids tried out just for fun at that old team... ha ha? 😩

Saturday "yeah they went back for 2nd tryout - NO ONE IS GOING THERE!!!!! Trust Me FAM"

Sunday....... This guy goes back to the Old ####ty team and brings 2 of the best players we have with him and never answers my calls again....

They take 1 pitcher who was slated now to be our #1 with a brand new Coach from St Josephs University - A Great College coach!!!! What's better????

She goes to this #### team and is now the 4th/5th pitcher - the same exact slot we ran from.  and she's the 3rd player at 3B.. She's going around telling kids that she has more opportunity there... REALLY!!!!??????  Parents LIED straight up to this kid and that team LIED... But, if your dumb enough to think 4th/5th pitcher with a Neophyte HC is better than #1 with a College Coach then Best of luck.

ETA - Mind you being the 4th pitcher at Alabama or a Top Travel team may be cool - or even a Competent travel team..... But, to go to a ####ty organization to be THAT??? Just DUMB guy was given the hard sell and fell for it.

WILD.... JUST WILD. 

Of course there is Drama wrapped in Drama all surrounding my take on all this and the guy had other pressures and probably lost 3 good friends in the entire ordeal but..... YAY!!!!! So much Fun!!!!

Gotta love this time of year.. Tryouts!  

My graduated Senior has her first College Cross Country meet this Friday.. I'm excited to watch her compete at the next level.

My youngest is a Freshman this year and her entire travel softball team switched organizations (for the better).  I'm down to one daughter playing travel and I'm just a "dad" that the coaches know they can ask to help with whatever they need.  I've been coaching and around travel softball for almost 10 years.. I'll miss it for sure when it's all over, but I won't miss it too..

I feel so bad for my daughter.  She's worked her ### off all year and has gotten worse. She turned it around for a couple weekends and has fallen off a cliff.  She has 5ks in her last 11 at bats.  All swinging. Even bit the bullet and took her to a hitting guy.   I just feel so bad for her.

She went from the 5 hole to now 10th.  She gets flexed on Sundays now because she plays the field but can't hit to save her life.

I wish there was a magic pill cause it's not lack of effort I can tell you that.  I just can't explain how you go to an above average hitter to well below.

Our team is also in a downward spiral. Our 7th week in a row and played some really good teams today and we looked like ####. 
What age?  Sometimes there is a maturity factor where kids mature faster than others and physically get overwhelmed until the catch up.  

This can play mind games and really kill confidence.  No matter how bad she is doing she needs to be able to forget about the last AB and focus on the next one.  

Is she off mechanically?  Is she overmatched by the pitchers?  Is she guessing too much?  How many AB's are we talking about?  10? 20? 50?  Small sample size can also cause mental forcing.  Are the teammates raking and she is the only one having issues?  Also can play a role in the mental forcing at the plate.

Hitting is hard.  You say she has been working hard.  Maybe she has been working too hard.  Take a couple weeks off of extra practice to reset the mechanics.  It works with my jumpsuit and golf swing.  Sometimes bad habits creep in and you have to do a "reboot" to clear them.

She is almost 15.

She wasnt being over powered. Half her team is absolutely killing it. She's probably the strongest and fastest on the team, at least top 3

We just moved up to 16u today!!!! :)

Was probably 50 at bats. 

Was just sad for her. Hopefully when we start back up she's back to normal

She is almost 15.

She wasnt being over powered. Half her team is absolutely killing it. She's probably the strongest and fastest on the team, at least top 3

We just moved up to 16u today!!!! :)

Was probably 50 at bats. 

Was just sad for her. Hopefully when we start back up she's back to normal
Sounds like she needed a break.  Too much pressing and over work can be a detriment when it gets in your head.  You can "want it too much" and put too much pressure on yourself.  Sometimes you just need to go back to having fun and screw around a bit.  If she is that hard of a worker a couple weeks off won't be a problem. 

Just wanted to update quickly. Fall season is almost over and my daughter is back to her old self for the most part. She did have one bad weekend but overall much improved. Batting close to .500 with 2 homers, one a grand slam :)

Here in SoCal, most leagues are still not allowing games due to State Covid guidelines, but teams are finding ways to get around it by going to private fields and playing in areas where local officials aren’t strictly enforcing rules.  My daughter is finishing up her first year 10U season on the select rec team and finally getting some games in the past 2 weeks. She’s thrown 11 innings, has  31 K’s and 5 BBs. When Spring starts (early Feb) she should be one of the best 2-3 players in our local 10U league which should lead to a fun summer of All Star tourneys.  Recently, I’ve had a couple of local travel coaches reach out and offer her a spot on their teams. 

Any thoughts on when the right time is to jump to travel?  I have no illusions of grandeur- I just want my girl to have fun and have enough success to keep playing. I’m guessing the answer is that the right timing is different for every girl, but I’m currently leaning toward letting her have a dominant spring playing in our local rec league, and hoping the confidence boost and fun will lead to more long term growth than the immediate benefits she would reap from going to a better program right now.  But who knows - a couple of friends who have daughters in travel teams tell me that my girl should be playing with better players.  🤷‍♂️

Here in SoCal, most leagues are still not allowing games due to State Covid guidelines, but teams are finding ways to get around it by going to private fields and playing in areas where local officials aren’t strictly enforcing rules.  My daughter is finishing up her first year 10U season on the select rec team and finally getting some games in the past 2 weeks. She’s thrown 11 innings, has  31 K’s and 5 BBs. When Spring starts (early Feb) she should be one of the best 2-3 players in our local 10U league which should lead to a fun summer of All Star tourneys.  Recently, I’ve had a couple of local travel coaches reach out and offer her a spot on their teams. 

Any thoughts on when the right time is to jump to travel?  I have no illusions of grandeur- I just want my girl to have fun and have enough success to keep playing. I’m guessing the answer is that the right timing is different for every girl, but I’m currently leaning toward letting her have a dominant spring playing in our local rec league, and hoping the confidence boost and fun will lead to more long term growth than the immediate benefits she would reap from going to a better program right now.  But who knows - a couple of friends who have daughters in travel teams tell me that my girl should be playing with better players.  🤷‍♂️
12u feels about right. 

Users who are viewing this thread