What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The all things Rickey Henderson thread: quotes, anecdotes, recipes within (1 Viewer)

Supposedly while playing for Seattle, Henderson went up to John Olerud, a former teammate with the New York Mets, and asked why Olerud wore a batting helmet out on the field, noting that he "used to have a teammate in New York who did the same thing." To which Olerud replied, "That was me."

Mixed reports on if it's true or not, but I heard it 10-15 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
From ESPN.com

Before there was Manny being Manny, there was Rickey being Rickey. Rickey Henderson, who is certain to be elected to the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, made an indelible impression with his talent on the field and with his character off the field. Our reporters share some of their favorite Henderson stories.

'Gotta do what he gotta do'

Lou Brock once talked to me about the fear of the bag. Baserunners get their ankles, knees, fingers and shoulders messed up sliding hell-bent into bases and lose their base-stealing edge over time because of their fear of getting so battered.

"The one exception is Rickey Henderson," Brock told me. "He accelerates harder into the bag than anyone who ever played."

I sat in the Athletics' clubhouse during batting practice several times with Henderson during his prime in Oakland from 1989 to 1991. His knees always were taped. So were his fingers. He had elbow pads and ice on his shoulder. "Man," he'd say, "Rickey is in pain."

What amazed me was that he still was one of the best offensive players of his time, a tremendously dangerous hitter despite all the injuries that would force most hitters out of the lineup. "Rickey gotta do what he gotta do," Henderson would say. "But ship me to Boston, hit me third, forget the steals and I'd hit .330 with 35 knocks."
-- Peter Gammons

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly while playing for Seattle, Henderson went up to John Olerud, a former teammate with the New York Mets, and asked why Olerud wore a batting helmet out on the field, noting that he "used to have a teammate in New York who did the same thing." To which Olerud replied, "That was me."

Mixed reports on if it's true or not, but I heard it 10-15 years ago.
Great story. They were teammates in Toronto/NYM/SEA  so I have also heard different versions, mostly the story occurred while they were with the Mets referring to their time with the Blue Jay's.  

I interviewed him once when he was at the end of his career and I was a young sportswriter. All I remember is how excited I was when he referred to himself as Ricky multiple times. Wish I still had that audio.

Shrugs said:
I interviewed him once when he was at the end of his career and I was a young sportswriter. All I remember is how excited I was when he referred to himself as Ricky multiple times. Wish I still had that audio.
“This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

Always liked that instead of cashing a million dollar bonus check, he framed it and put it on a wall.
That was great..but he did cash it before the fiscal year ended.  The As were doing the books and called him and told him to cash it and they would give him a duplicate.

Users who are viewing this thread