What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (5 Viewers)

Agreed. THey are a set and forget it now EXCEPT for week 14 @LAR and week 15 vs GB. Thankfully I have basically locked up the bye so I only have to worry about week 15. I am already stashing CIN vs OAK for that week. That being said, I probably would have no issue rolling them out vs Rodgers if I had to.
Sooo tempted to get greedy on D and get the AZ D. 

Given the choice you'd go CHI D over AZ? Carr looks lost right now. Cousins has weapons -- Theilen/Diggs/Cook.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't stash Detroit. Not only do they have a horrible defense but AZ is looking better lately with Leftwich as OC and Buffalo will get back Allen.
Thanks.  I need the roster spot so I'm dumping the Lions.  Hope I can grab a team for week 14 when the Bears face the LAR.  Do not want.  LOL

Guess I'm grabbing Titans D off the ww for the Jets bye this week
Are folks keeping the Jets after last week?  I mean the appeal was they were playing the Bills and will play them again soon  -- I'm sitting with Jets and Ravens and not liking it --not even sure about AZ --maybe for this week, but that's it

I'm debating LAC or AZ right now.  Leaning towards AZ vs OAK as the play this week.  Waiting to hear if Bosa is coming back or not...I'm thinking it will be yet another week.

I picked up MIN via trade for the playoff run, but their schedule weeks 11-13 isn't great (CHI/GB/NE)

I used GB to cover their bye last week.  Here's my WW options (tasty matchups bolded)

• BAL (CIN/OAK/ATL)
  • TEN (IND/HOU/NYJ)
  • ARI (OAK/LAC/GB)
  • NYG (TB/PHI/CHI)
Currently aiming for AZ this week.  Don't know if I can count on BAL/TEN staying available for the next 2.   We have a league rule only allowing 2 DEFs to be rostered since it's a 16-team league.

JIslander said:
Are folks keeping the Jets after last week?  I mean the appeal was they were playing the Bills and will play them again soon  -- I'm sitting with Jets and Ravens and not liking it --not even sure about AZ --maybe for this week, but that's it
FWIW I had BAL and Jets, and dumped the Jets in favor of DEN and also picked up TEN to fill in gaps/provide options for weeks 13-15. 

The Ds for the entire AFC East is out on the wire -- all seem like potential choices given the softness of schedules (they all play each other, after all) and given the Jets' performance, out of all 4 I think I trust them the least right now. 

Weeks 14 and 15

Bills vs Jets, vs Lions

Broncos vs Giants, at Jags

Trying to decide if the Bills are trustworthy for fantasy playoffs. 

Definitely time to strategize or optimize 2 D/ST's coming down the stretch in weeks 11-16. Went back to BAL and now looking at 5 other D/ST's to compliment.

BAL - 3 or 4 starts / 6

11 CIN - Home game after a bye and perhaps some fire being lit

12 OAK - Juicy OAK has nobody

13 @ ATL - okay 

14 @ KC - no thank you

15 TB

16 @ LAC - no thank you

JAX - was dropped 3-4 starts are they solid anymore?

11 PIT - no thank you

12 BUF - Juicy

13 IND - okay

14 TEN 

15 WAS

16 MIA - perhaps a nice way for JAX to sneak in the playoffs?

LAC - Bosa coming back soon 3-4 starts

11 DEN

12 ARI - nice

13 @ PIT - no thank you

14 CIN

15 @ KC - NO!

16 BAL

PIT - rejuventated? 3 starts

11 @ JAX

12 @ DEN

13 LAC - not digging it

14 @ OAK - Yum!

15 NE - only if Brady is out

16 NO - avoid 

NO - could come together playing with leads

11 PHI

12 ATL

13 @ DAL

14 @ TB - turnover city

15 @ CAR

16 PIT - nope

CAR 3-4 starts

11 @ DET  

12 SEA

13 @ TB

14 @ CLE

15 NO

16 ATL

Denver is the play ... SF, CLE, and OAK ??? Amazing.  And only need 1 spot to hold them.

I saw that over a month ago and have been holding them waiting for the playoffs. Have them in nearly all of my 14 leagues.  Should make playoffs in 11 of them, too. 

Denver is the play ... SF, CLE, and OAK ??? Amazing.  And only need 1 spot to hold them.

I saw that over a month ago and have been holding them waiting for the playoffs. Have them in nearly all of my 14 leagues.  Should make playoffs in 11 of them, too. 
Are SF and CLE really and truly juicy matchups? SF seems to have a fire lit under them and are playing competitive football, and the Browns have put up 20+ points on several teams this year, more often than they have scored <20.

Anybody like JAX anymore?
I do, FWIW. While I would avoid this week vs PIT, as you may have better 1 week options on the wire, JAX isn't the worst option ROS.

JAX is far from the set and forget D they were in years' past, but they still have talent, and have a soft upcoming schedule -- @BUF, @TEN, and @MIA weeks 12-16.

Their other match ups in between -- IND and WAS, both at home, are also winnable (am more concerned about IND hanging points on them than WAS).

What gives me pause versus other options are the fact that so far this year, JAX D has not traveled well (4 FPs @KC, -1.5 @DAL, -0.5 @ IND in my league), and haven't cracked 10 FPs since week 4 against the Jets.

Again, you could do worse, but I think you may be able to do better. 

I do, FWIW. While I would avoid this week vs PIT, as you may have better 1 week options on the wire, JAX isn't the worst option ROS.

JAX is far from the set and forget D they were in years' past, but they still have talent, and have a soft upcoming schedule -- @BUF, @TEN, and @MIA weeks 12-16.

Their other match ups in between -- IND and WAS, both at home, are also winnable (am more concerned about IND hanging points on them than WAS).

What gives me pause versus other options are the fact that so far this year, JAX D has not traveled well (4 FPs @KC, -1.5 @DAL, -0.5 @ IND in my league), and haven't cracked 10 FPs since week 4 against the Jets.

Again, you could do worse, but I think you may be able to do better. 
The biggest problem with Jacksonville seems to be the lack of a pass rush. Last year they were second overall in sacks. This year they are 27th.  They were second in interceptions last year and tied for 25th-27th this year. 

I don't see much hope beyond great matchups (e.g. Buffalo) unless that pass rush improves.  Plus they seem to be falling apart. Ramsey allegedly went rogue last week in coverage and melted down after the game. A loss to Pitt this week drops them to 3-7. How much fight will they have left? 

Would be crazy to sit the Bears D right now for a streamer.  Killing teams and now Mack is back.  Obviously, nothing is a sure thing in the current state of offenses in the NFL, but the Bears are as safe of a start as you can get. I wish I owned them. 
Detroit over the past  5 or so years has put up points in the Thanksgiving Day game.  Will be interesting to see if the Bears can put a stop to that.

Washington D putting up some points so far 
How is this D going to be without Smith ROS?  Offense isn't going to put up many points.  I would expect the defense to be on the field for majority of every game moving forward.  I think they'll get tired and start falling apart.  

How is this D going to be without Smith ROS?  Offense isn't going to put up many points.  I would expect the defense to be on the field for majority of every game moving forward.  I think they'll get tired and start falling apart.  
They weren't exactly making the scoreboard spin with him.

And now I'd expect it to be worse.  I've seen Colt McCoy play.  My condolences to the Redskin faithful.
Agree. I'm just saying I wouldn't downgrade them as much as I would, say, the Rams D if they went from Goff to Mannion.

Bears owners, who you looking at for Week 14 (and potentially 15, although Rodgers doesn't scare me like he used to)?

Best schedule is Detroit (@ARI/@BUF), but they're a pretty bad D. Buffalo is actually a decent D with good matchups (NYJ/DET), though always hard to trust with that offense. Seattle is a decent D with OK match-ups (MIN/@SF).

One I'm keeping my eye on is NO. They seem to have sorted out their issues from earlier in the season, and also seem to be this year's version of the team whose offense is so good, they quickly get up 30 and spend the entire second half racking up sacks and INTs (see Falcons 2016, Patriots too many years to count). In three of the past four weeks (not counting the Rams game), they've put up 4/2, 4/2 and 3/3 (sacks/TOs). Week 14 they get the revenge game @TB, who even if they score points will definitely be good for a few TOs. Week 15 they're @Car, which is not so great, but by that point you can go back to the Bears.

I'm going to wait another week or two before deciding, but definitely will be monitoring how the Saints do in the next two weeks (ATL/@Dal)

zftcg said:
Bears owners, who you looking at for Week 14 (and potentially 15, although Rodgers doesn't scare me like he used to)?

Best schedule is Detroit (@ARI/@BUF), but they're a pretty bad D. Buffalo is actually a decent D with good matchups (NYJ/DET), though always hard to trust with that offense. Seattle is a decent D with OK match-ups (MIN/@SF).

One I'm keeping my eye on is NO. They seem to have sorted out their issues from earlier in the season, and also seem to be this year's version of the team whose offense is so good, they quickly get up 30 and spend the entire second half racking up sacks and INTs (see Falcons 2016, Patriots too many years to count). In three of the past four weeks (not counting the Rams game), they've put up 4/2, 4/2 and 3/3 (sacks/TOs). Week 14 they get the revenge game @TB, who even if they score points will definitely be good for a few TOs. Week 15 they're @Car, which is not so great, but by that point you can go back to the Bears.

I'm going to wait another week or two before deciding, but definitely will be monitoring how the Saints do in the next two weeks (ATL/@Dal)
Would be crazy to bench the Bears D from here on out. Crazy

Even when they play the Rams?
Why risk sitting the best D in the league? I'd at least consider sitting them against the Saints. Not the Rams.  The Bears D is ferocious and leading the league in almost every category. And they don't have a stagnant offense holding them down like in the past. I wish I drafted them.  If I lose because of starting the Bears D at some point, so be it. 

Peak said:
Great question. Hate this. Was planning on riding them the rest of the way. 

:unsure:

Probably just gonna ride Houston ROS.

IND

@NYJ

@PHI

Not thrilled with Championship week but they’ve been pretty decent IRL & FF.

Detroit over the past  5 or so years has put up points in the Thanksgiving Day game.  Will be interesting to see if the Bears can put a stop to that.
2017 - gave up 408 yards, 28 FDs and 30 points, forced no turnovers and had 2 sacks in loss to Vikings

2016 - less generous (13 points), 1 turnover, no sacks, Bradford completed 31 of 37 PA, Lions came back late to win it on FG as time expired 

2015 - sacked Sanchez 6 times in 45-14 blowout

2014 - intercepted Cutler twice and sacked him 3 times, held Bears to 13 yards rushing in 34-17 win

2013 - sacked Flynn 7 times in 40-10 blowout

They’re starting an UDFA rookie opposite Slay at CB who was on the streets a couple weeks ago. Better run D with Snacks but still lack edge containment. With the decline of Glover Quin this season they need to get Tracey Walker more snaps but rn they’re leaving one of their best play makers on the bench every week. 

Bears are focused and flourishing, Lions are floundering. I wouldn’t trust them this late in the year. As a fan I hope I’m completely wrong.

Rolling with NE at the Jets this week. Both Dallas and Buffalo are available but I feel like those will both be low scoring running games while the Jets will have to pass. Also, the Belichek vs a rookie QB factor.

I believe I will try to run with NYJ & the Pats for the ROS.
Im pairing NE & KC ROS... KC has actually been a good fantasy defense. It looks like this...

Week 12- NE @NYJ

Week 13- KC @ OAK

Week 14- NE @MIA or KC vs BAL

Week 15- KC vs LAC- This is the only bad week. I may look for an alternative

Week 16- NE vs BUF

Why risk sitting the best D in the league? I'd at least consider sitting them against the Saints. Not the Rams.  The Bears D is ferocious and leading the league in almost every category. And they don't have a stagnant offense holding them down like in the past. I wish I drafted them.  If I lose because of starting the Bears D at some point, so be it. 
Don't love the LAR matchup, but the game is in Chicago. Maybe there will be a blizzard. Next matchup is at home against GB...maybe GB has packed it in by then.

Definitely looking for a Plan B for Chicago D in weeks 15 and 16. DET could work: @AZ, @BUF. Indy D to a lesser extent: @HOU, DAL.

Im pairing NE & KC ROS... KC has actually been a good fantasy defense. It looks like this...

Week 12- NE @NYJ

Week 13- KC @ OAK

Week 14- NE @MIA or KC vs BAL

Week 15- KC vs LAC- This is the only bad week. I may look for an alternative

Week 16- NE vs BUF
Good call.  I have a short bench (3 spots), so maintaining 2 D is tough - but I may have to try this idea.

Don't love the LAR matchup, but the game is in Chicago. Maybe there will be a blizzard. Next matchup is at home against GB...maybe GB has packed it in by then.

Definitely looking for a Plan B for Chicago D in weeks 15 and 16. DET could work: @AZ, @BUF. Indy D to a lesser extent: @HOU, DAL.
FYI, it's Weeks 14 and 15; they get SF for Championship Week.

Quoting myself from upthread. Added bonus for NO: If you're willing to move on them a week early, it's unlikely anyone is holding on to them for the Atlanta game, so they should be available.

zftcg said:

Multiple options/dilemma here for week 12:

I currently own Baltimore, playing Oakland. Will probably drop them after this week's game. Also own Tennessee defense.

Could pick up Jac (vs. Buffalo), NE (vs. Jets), Indy (vs. Miami), and/or Buffalo (vs. Jac) all for week 12 instead of Baltimore this week. Would you pick up any of these defenses and use instead of Baltimore?

Then, for week 13 Tennessee plays the Jets, Buffalo plays Miami and Indy plays Jac. So, with Buffalo and Indy you get 2 great weeks (12 & 13)and Tennessee has a juicy match up in week 13. Any worthy for both weeks 12 & 13??

Have the Bears.  Looking to add SEA.

Week 14 - Sea vs MIN

Week 15 - Sea @SF or CHI vs GB

Week 16 - CHI @SF

Week 17 - CHI @MIN

Best I can get I think.  Don't mind JETS @BUF week 14 but I'm not holding 3 Ds.  

robb said:

I currently own Baltimore, playing Oakland. Will probably drop them after this week's game. Also own Tennessee defense.

Could pick up Jac (vs. Buffalo), NE (vs. Jets), Indy (vs. Miami), and/or Buffalo (vs. Jac) all for week 12 instead of Baltimore this week. Would you pick up any of these defenses and use instead of Baltimore?

Then, for week 13 Tennessee plays the Jets, Buffalo plays Miami and Indy plays Jac. So, with Buffalo and Indy you get 2 great weeks (12 & 13)and Tennessee has a juicy match up in week 13. Any worthy for both weeks 12 & 13??
So, I guess the question is, which two of the following defenses would you select for weeks 12 & 13:

1. Baltimore

2. Jacsonville

3. NE

4. Indy

5. Buffalo

6. Tennessee

robb said:

As my past posts here say ad nauseum, I also own Baltimore, and aside from this weekend, only one other match up -- against TB in WK 15 -- makes sense to start them from here on out, so dropping them after this game for one of the other options on your list -- all of whom have decidedly juicier matchups -- makes sense.

Of those you list, I think I like JAX the best if only because they seem to have the best complimentary schedule to TEN, and really only face a potential higher powered offense in IND in WK 13 (and it's arguable how high powered they are, which says a lot about the cupcake-ness of their other games.

I actually also like NE and IND as options -- both are playing fairly well fantasy D, both have some tasty match ups, and both play well at home -- IND in general and NE as the weather continues to chill.

JAX is slightly harder to trust, but they are gaining momentum, and seem to me to pair well with TEN.

Users who are viewing this thread