Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

apologies to anyone who picked the Football Team over the Titans.  I did as well...the 5 sacks were the only thing that made it ok at all. (and was really my logic behind picking them over TN who had not put pressure on QBs).

 

You are not alone.  I picked them up for a great match up against the Giants and ok matchups over the next few weeks.   I don’t have much confidence now.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

11 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

You are not alone.  I picked them up for a great match up against the Giants and ok matchups over the next few weeks.   I don’t have much confidence now.   

Sure...but the sacks help...you know that should at least keep them scoring a few points as a defense with the upside of better days.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So is NO Def for real?  I'm sure last night may have been an aberration.  But they looked pretty sound.  Did they get players back from injury?  They get a Car Offense that could be missing CMC this weekend.

Edited by Peak
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sho nuff said:

apologies to anyone who picked the Football Team over the Titans.  I did as well...the 5 sacks were the only thing that made it ok at all. (and was really my logic behind picking them over TN who had not put pressure on QBs).

 

 

9 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

You are not alone.  I picked them up for a great match up against the Giants and ok matchups over the next few weeks.   I don’t have much confidence now.   

Third guy here who picked up WFT -- man, that was a sour outcome. Are you holding them seeing this as an "Any Given Sunday" for their great match ups coming up? Or are you dumping them?

2 hours ago, Peak said:

So is NO Def for real?  I'm sure last night may have been an aberration.  But they looked pretty sound.  Did they get players back from injury?  They get a Car Offense that could be missing CMC this weekend.

I'm still hesitant. They have had two HUGE fantasy scoring days -- both against TB, once in WK 1 and this past weekend. In between, they've averaged 2.6 FFPPG in my league. 

They are still strong against the run and generate sacks, but they have really allowed teams to rack up points and yards against them

With SF, ATLx2, KC, and MIN left on their schedule, not sure I am buying into them based on what they do just against Brady.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Broncobiv said:

Please tell me Seattle can pull it together for the fantasy stretch run. Weeks 12-16 are so juicy! 

@ PHI

VS NYG

VS NYJ

@ WAS

VS LAR

 

You see what Josh Allen did to them after looking terrible the last 3 weeks? 
 

Philly and NYG will put up points on them. The true test is the Jets. But I have yet to see that defense stop anyone this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bolldpt said:

Do you think the addition of Dunlap and the return of Adams revive this Sea D or are they paper tigers?

They didn't help much this past Sunday against Buffalo.  They did get 7 sacks I think - maybe if they bring the same pressure on a more easily rattled QB that makes a difference.  Also Wilson had a bad game himself with 4 turnovers.  Bills had a comfortable lead the entire game.  I doubt that happens against the Jets or G Men

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, themeistersinger said:

They didn't help much this past Sunday against Buffalo.  They did get 7 sacks I think - maybe if they bring the same pressure on a more easily rattled QB that makes a difference.  Also Wilson had a bad game himself with 4 turnovers.  Bills had a comfortable lead the entire game.  I doubt that happens against the Jets or G Men

Exactly. Adams and Carrol were getting into it on the sidelines. Total circus. Until they show an ability to put up even a slight resistance to a passing game, I don’t know how you can trust them. The only matchup as of now I’d be comfortable using them against would be the Jets, and if they faced Flacco like he was playing tonight, even he could carve them up.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

 

Third guy here who picked up WFT -- man, that was a sour outcome. Are you holding them seeing this as an "Any Given Sunday" for their great match ups coming up? Or are you dumping them?

I'm still hesitant. They have had two HUGE fantasy scoring days -- both against TB, once in WK 1 and this past weekend. In between, they've averaged 2.6 FFPPG in my league. 

They are still strong against the run and generate sacks, but they have really allowed teams to rack up points and yards against them

With SF, ATLx2, KC, and MIN left on their schedule, not sure I am buying into them based on what they do just against Brady.

I could see a classic letdown game for NO after that destruction of the TB offense in a big division win.

SF could be getting some weapons back...Aiyuk, Mostert, Samuel. Plus, Mullens with more practice time. And that SF team was decimated by Covid last week. I'd expect SF to fight in this game.

Still targeting NO D in waivers as I only have NYG (vs PHI).

Also targeting PHI D at home against the NYG.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Philly at home this week versus Danny Ten Cent Piece is the play if they are out there. 
 

Pay no mind to Danny’s performance against the Skins. He is somehow 4-0 against my team and 1-17 vs everyone else. Maybe it’s something personal about “the league done messed up” Haskins. I’m sure he’ll be back to his pick throwing ways this week. Eagles off a bye with two weeks to prepare for this clown. I like their chances to do some damage this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

I think Philly at home this week versus Danny Ten Cent Piece is the play if they are out there. 
 

Pay no mind to Danny’s performance against the Skins. He is somehow 4-0 against my team and 1-17 vs everyone else. Maybe it’s something personal about “the league done messed up” Haskins. I’m sure he’ll be back to his pick throwing ways this week. Eagles off a bye with two weeks to prepare for this clown. I like their chances to do some damage this week.

It's in NJ. Not that that matters much but just wanted to clear that up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Insein said:

It's in NJ. Not that that matters much but just wanted to clear that up.

Good to know. I missed that. Doesn’t change how I feel about them though. As a Birds fan, any thoughts on them this week? You guys seem to still have a decent pass rush, but LB unit and secondary springing more leaks than usual. 

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Good to know. I missed that. Doesn’t change how I feel about them though. As a Birds fan, any thoughts on them this week? You guys seem to still have a decent pass rush, but LB unit and secondary springing more leaks than usual. 

Defense has been solid against bad QBs. The bye will help since they should be rested. It will obviously help more if the offense gets right so they don't have short fields and 3 and outs to deal with. Should be a solid game for them. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Broncobiv said:

Please tell me Seattle can pull it together for the fantasy stretch run. Weeks 12-16 are so juicy! 

@ PHI

VS NYG

VS NYJ

@ WAS

VS LAR

 

I think there is a lot of turn over potential provided by those east coast teams.

I don't think Seattle has the horses to capitalize on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Good to know. I missed that. Doesn’t change how I feel about them though. As a Birds fan, any thoughts on them this week? You guys seem to still have a decent pass rush, but LB unit and secondary springing more leaks than usual. 

Birds Defense is top ten in almost every category but in one of the more crucial FF point-producing stats-turnovers-they blow goats.  Their pass rush is one of the best in the league.  No return TD's and I think only 3 defensive TDs this year

 

ETA I picked them up for their games against Dallas and NYG which paid dividends the first game and expect to the second game

 

Edited by unckeyherb
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peak said:

Trying to decide between TEN or NO for this week. Both played well. TEN looked better and may get Clowney back.

Tennessee's D played against a terrible Bears offensive line and dominated. I wouldn't put too much stock into that game. NO's D is legit.  The Saints D is starting to look good and they have a good matchup against SF

Edited by yoman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yoman said:

Tennessee's D played against a terrible Bears offensive line and dominated. I wouldn't put too much stock into that game. NO's D is legit.  The Saints D is starting to look good and they have a good matchup against SF

The Saints D is the play. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am straight up not getting the love for the Saints.

Yes, they are hot right now.

But they have not given up less than 23 points in all their games previous to last week, have 4 INTs prior to last week when they got 3 in a game, one DTD on the year and only 2 fumbles recovered in weeks 1 and 2.

They are still a solid D from an NFL perspective, but why should they be trusted when they haven't really produced fantasy-wise all year?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We can all agree at this point that the Patriots do not have a good defense, right? Started them this last week against the Jets and lost my matchup because of it. If you can’t put up decent fantasy points against the Jets, I think you’re basically un-rosterable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

We can all agree at this point that the Patriots do not have a good defense, right? Started them this last week against the Jets and lost my matchup because of it. If you can’t put up decent fantasy points against the Jets, I think you’re basically un-rosterable.

Who the heck knows.  Good defenses are tough to find even against bad teams like the Jets.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

We can all agree at this point that the Patriots do not have a good defense, right? Started them this last week against the Jets and lost my matchup because of it. If you can’t put up decent fantasy points against the Jets, I think you’re basically un-rosterable.

Me too

Theyre dead to me

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have Miami which seems to be a solid defense in general. Grabbed Seattle. Even though they got smoked they still had 7 sacks against Buff. Adams and Dunlap should help stabilize them going forward. There really isn't any attractive options out on my wire for the coming weeks. Going to roll with these 2 based on matchup.

Edited by Insein
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not tons on the wire these days.

How do people feel about going with a steadily producing Defense vs a variable D with what looks like promising matchups?

For example, would you rather be leveraging the following Ds as a hold through year because outside blip games have had a solid floor:

  • TB, Top 3 scoring D. Have CAR this week which is neutral, but face LAR, KC, Bye, MIN, ATL, DET -- all of whom can put up points/yards
  • CHI, Top 8 scoring D. Have MIN, BYE, GB, DET, HOU, MIN, JAX. Houston, Jacksonville, maybe Detroit are favorable, again, a good stretch against teams who can score/rack up yards against.

Or would you be looking for upside despite variable performance given match ups (which is the core of why you stream) like:

  • WAS: has skill but soil the bed. Yet they have DET, CIN, DAL in the next few weeks, and despite being gun shy given recent performance, these match ups still look good
  • SEA: don't necessarily have sound skill at all levels and have been a veritable sieve through the year, so while you may want to avoid LAR and ARI, they then start a stretch of PHI, NYG, NYJ, WAS.

Bottom line is, with limited availability on the wire, and knowing what we know at this point in time, do you prefer to go with a steady floor name brand D, or roll the dice with more variable Ds on match up? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Insein said:

Have Miami which seems to be a solid defense in general. Grabbed Seattle. Even though they got smoked they still had 7 sacks against Buff. Adams and Dunlap should help stabilize them going forward. There really isn't any attractive options out on my wire for the coming weeks. Going to roll with these 2 based on matchup.

Those two have a real complimentary schedule: 

MIA v LAC

MIA @ DEN

MIA @ NYJ

SEA @ NYG / MIA v CIN

SEA v NYJ

SEA @ WAS

MIA @LV (FWIW I am biased, but I think this is a dangerous match up and may actually decide a wildcard this year).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Insein said:

Have Miami which seems to be a solid defense in general. Grabbed Seattle. Even though they got smoked they still had 7 sacks against Buff. Adams and Dunlap should help stabilize them going forward. There really isn't any attractive options out on my wire for the coming weeks. Going to roll with these 2 based on matchup.

Me as well. GL to us !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Not tons on the wire these days.

How do people feel about going with a steadily producing Defense vs a variable D with what looks like promising matchups?

For example, would you rather be leveraging the following Ds as a hold through year because outside blip games have had a solid floor:

  • TB, Top 3 scoring D. Have CAR this week which is neutral, but face LAR, KC, Bye, MIN, ATL, DET -- all of whom can put up points/yards
  • CHI, Top 8 scoring D. Have MIN, BYE, GB, DET, HOU, MIN, JAX. Houston, Jacksonville, maybe Detroit are favorable, again, a good stretch against teams who can score/rack up yards against.

Or would you be looking for upside despite variable performance given match ups (which is the core of why you stream) like:

  • WAS: has skill but soil the bed. Yet they have DET, CIN, DAL in the next few weeks, and despite being gun shy given recent performance, these match ups still look good
  • SEA: don't necessarily have sound skill at all levels and have been a veritable sieve through the year, so while you may want to avoid LAR and ARI, they then start a stretch of PHI, NYG, NYJ, WAS.

Bottom line is, with limited availability on the wire, and knowing what we know at this point in time, do you prefer to go with a steady floor name brand D, or roll the dice with more variable Ds on match up? 

I think there is only one true elite, set it and forget it, defense this year... Baltimore. They are in a tier by themselves and are matchup proof.

For whatever reason defenses have been brutal this year. Since there is only 1 truly great defense this year, I’m more inclined to play the streaming game. But there are limits. The ideal stream play this year imo is an average to good (but not necessarily great) defense vs a bad team. I think there has to be a baseline of competence no matter how bad the matchup on the other side (Although the Jets might be the exception). Ie. Seattle has great matchups down the stretch, but have a historically bad secondary and haven’t shown to present even the slightest resistance to passing games this year.

Of the teams you mentioned, Chicago doesn’t move the needle for me as they are a better defense in real life than fantasy. TB is a big step down from the Ravens tier, but probably below just Pittsburgh after that. In bad matchups I still wouldn’t be comfortable throwing them out there.

Washington gives you a nice baseline with sacks, but they are constantly sabotaged by their anemic offense. A lot of short fields give up easy points. 

Ideally you could carry two of TB and Washington. But if forced to carry just one, I would just take my chances with TB. The game vs KC is the only truly terrible matchup you listed. LAR, MIN, and ATL all have QBs that can be gotten to and be forced into turnovers.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Thoughts on Miami at home vs Chargers this week? Herbert has been on fire, but he’s still a rook. Phins still managed to score well against a better offense in Arizona (granted, it was on the back of a defensive TD). 
 

Don't love it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best streaming weeks out there.  Green Bay was available in about half my leagues, and both New Orleans and Minnesota available in about 75% of my leagues.  All 3 are ranked top 6 this week and are decent plays.  It's hard to predict picks and Def tds so I usually stream on points allowed projections.

I was torn between New O and Minny in a couple leagues.  If you have a short bench league, Minny is a good play as you then get the jumpstart on the next few weeks as they host Dallas and Jax in 2 of the next 3 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deamon said:

One of the best streaming weeks out there.  Green Bay was available in about half my leagues, and both New Orleans and Minnesota available in about 75% of my leagues.  All 3 are ranked top 6 this week and are decent plays.  It's hard to predict picks and Def tds so I usually stream on points allowed projections.

I was torn between New O and Minny in a couple leagues.  If you have a short bench league, Minny is a good play as you then get the jumpstart on the next few weeks as they host Dallas and Jax in 2 of the next 3 weeks.

Have NO and MN right now and leaning NO.

MN scares me a bit. MN has won like twice in the last 12 years in Chicago and that D hasn't scored diddly all year. Good matchup certainly against that CHI offense but I bet Foles has his way hitting Robinson/Miller/Mooney/Graham.

NO could have a serious let down after the big win @TB, but no Mostert/Deebo still and Mullens at QB. Plus, the NO offense tends to move methodically/slow down the field eating up clock and limiting opportunities. Larger favorite as well. Greater chance for Mullens playing catchup and screwing up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Thoughts on Miami at home vs Chargers this week? Herbert has been on fire, but he’s still a rook. Phins still managed to score well against a better offense in Arizona (granted, it was on the back of a defensive TD). 
 

I don't love it...but think I am rolling with them for a few weeks.  They are the #5 defense...I don't have the bench to carry two, so going to roll this week and be happy to then get them against Denver then the Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks if you hang out in this thread, I find this particular week your ship might have come in. I would not judge what is available based on just the 1st 8 weeks. 

-If for some reason the Phins are around, PICK THEM UP as they have 4 weeks with pretty good match ups and playmakers in their Secondary, I like the match ups and you might not have to keep streaming. Some of you are simply streaming addicts. 

The Giants have hit double digits in my league several times this season, Top 10 in fact and I know Philly is likely to win the game but they do turn the ball over and Wentz does get sacked and you could do worse. I like Tennessee about the same, and think their defense will be more Top 10 2nd half of the year. 

-The Minnesota Viking schedule the next few weeks include @Chi, DAL, CAR, JAX, @TB, CHI...most of those are decent starts. Again I would try to get 1 defense you can live with down the stretch and then open another roster to stream another with. Or settle on a Defense for a couple weeks.  

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Have NO and MN right now and leaning NO.

MN scares me a bit. MN has won like twice in the last 12 years in Chicago and that D hasn't scored diddly all year. Good matchup certainly against that CHI offense but I bet Foles has his way hitting Robinson/Miller/Mooney/Graham.

NO could have a serious let down after the big win @TB, but no Mostert/Deebo still and Mullens at QB. Plus, the NO offense tends to move methodically/slow down the field eating up clock and limiting opportunities. Larger favorite as well. Greater chance for Mullens playing catchup and screwing up.

No I mean if you're torn between having one of them on your roster, Minny might be the play as they're awesome for next week.  If you have both on your roster now I'd probably start the Saints but it's close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, themeistersinger said:

Dolphins starters Kyle Van Noy, Christian Wilkins among three players placed on reserve/COVID-19 list

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-starters-kyle-van-noy-christian-wilkins-among-three-players-placed-on-r 

I was planning to pick them up on Saturday for their next few game stretch - now have to give it some thought.  I'm guessing this hurts their Run D more than Pass D.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

-If for some reason the Phins are around, PICK THEM UP as they have 4 weeks with pretty good match ups and playmakers in their Secondary, I like the match ups and you might not have to keep streaming. Some of you are simply streaming addicts.

Really struggling between doing this and picking up either NO or GB for the better one-week matchup....and then doing it all over again next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

I was planning to pick them up on Saturday for their next few game stretch - now have to give it some thought.  I'm guessing this hurts their Run D more than Pass D.

 

20 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Really struggling between doing this and picking up either NO or GB for the better one-week matchup....and then doing it all over again next week.

As high as I am on the Phins, I can see how this 4 game streak is going to come to a crashing end here. 

I'm with you all and we roster 2 defenses in a couple of my leagues...i still think the Vikings could be a sleeper and the Giants despite a terrible 2-Win record seems to find 8-12 on defense many weeks, they're top 10 and they seem to float out there on the WW every week. Philly is up n down, love their fan base we have here but the team is hit n miss a lot. I'm not convinced the Igglz just slice right thru them. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone dropped the Browns for their bye week so I picked them up.  Bad matchup this week with the Texans but they have a pretty sweet schedule coming up.  I mainly picked them up for their playoff matchups

wk11 Eagles - Wentz gets sacked a lot and has a tendency for pics

wk12 Jags - rookie QB

wk13 Titans - eh

wk14 Ravens - bad matchup

wk15 Giants - good matchup

wk16 Jets - good matchup

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jutz said:

Someone dropped the Browns for their bye week so I picked them up.  Bad matchup this week with the Texans but they have a pretty sweet schedule coming up.  I mainly picked them up for their playoff matchups

wk11 Eagles - Wentz gets sacked a lot and has a tendency for pics

wk12 Jags - rookie QB

wk13 Titans - eh

wk14 Ravens - bad matchup

wk15 Giants - good matchup

wk16 Jets - good matchup

25-30 MPH winds for that CLE/HOU game. Matchup may be better than you think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few of the higher scoring defenses have been dropped in my league due to byes. I've seen a bit of discussion in this thread on it but anyone have thoughts on picking a solid to pretty good D and playing them over the good streaming match ups?

 

I love the combination of Cleveland and Seattle to close out the year. Weeks 12-16 you get nothing but Jets and Giants. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Rank these d’s for the rest of the year

Min

mia

wsh

nos

 

Depends on your league scoring of course but I looked at total points yards per play turnovers forced and sacks to rank them.

Washington

Miami

New Orleans

Minnesota

I have heard some pretzel logic about the Vikings being a top 10 defense in some stuff if you throw out their first two games and catch the moon at the right moment but these other 3 teams are top 10 in several of those four categories.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...