What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (4 Viewers)

Have Miami which seems to be a solid defense in general. Grabbed Seattle. Even though they got smoked they still had 7 sacks against Buff. Adams and Dunlap should help stabilize them going forward. There really isn't any attractive options out on my wire for the coming weeks. Going to roll with these 2 based on matchup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not tons on the wire these days.

How do people feel about going with a steadily producing Defense vs a variable D with what looks like promising matchups?

For example, would you rather be leveraging the following Ds as a hold through year because outside blip games have had a solid floor:

• TB, Top 3 scoring D. Have CAR this week which is neutral, but face LAR, KC, Bye, MIN, ATL, DET -- all of whom can put up points/yards
  • CHI, Top 8 scoring D. Have MIN, BYE, GB, DET, HOU, MIN, JAX. Houston, Jacksonville, maybe Detroit are favorable, again, a good stretch against teams who can score/rack up yards against.
Or would you be looking for upside despite variable performance given match ups (which is the core of why you stream) like:

• WAS: has skill but soil the bed. Yet they have DET, CIN, DAL in the next few weeks, and despite being gun shy given recent performance, these match ups still look good
  • SEA: don't necessarily have sound skill at all levels and have been a veritable sieve through the year, so while you may want to avoid LAR and ARI, they then start a stretch of PHI, NYG, NYJ, WAS.
Bottom line is, with limited availability on the wire, and knowing what we know at this point in time, do you prefer to go with a steady floor name brand D, or roll the dice with more variable Ds on match up? 

Have Miami which seems to be a solid defense in general. Grabbed Seattle. Even though they got smoked they still had 7 sacks against Buff. Adams and Dunlap should help stabilize them going forward. There really isn't any attractive options out on my wire for the coming weeks. Going to roll with these 2 based on matchup.
Those two have a real complimentary schedule: 

MIA v LAC

MIA @ DEN

MIA @ NYJ

SEA @ NYG / MIA v CIN

SEA v NYJ

SEA @ WAS

MIA @LV (FWIW I am biased, but I think this is a dangerous match up and may actually decide a wildcard this year).

Me as well. GL to us !

Thoughts on Miami at home vs Chargers this week? Herbert has been on fire, but he’s still a rook. Phins still managed to score well against a better offense in Arizona (granted, it was on the back of a defensive TD). 

Not tons on the wire these days.

How do people feel about going with a steadily producing Defense vs a variable D with what looks like promising matchups?

For example, would you rather be leveraging the following Ds as a hold through year because outside blip games have had a solid floor:

• TB, Top 3 scoring D. Have CAR this week which is neutral, but face LAR, KC, Bye, MIN, ATL, DET -- all of whom can put up points/yards
  • CHI, Top 8 scoring D. Have MIN, BYE, GB, DET, HOU, MIN, JAX. Houston, Jacksonville, maybe Detroit are favorable, again, a good stretch against teams who can score/rack up yards against.
Or would you be looking for upside despite variable performance given match ups (which is the core of why you stream) like:

• WAS: has skill but soil the bed. Yet they have DET, CIN, DAL in the next few weeks, and despite being gun shy given recent performance, these match ups still look good
  • SEA: don't necessarily have sound skill at all levels and have been a veritable sieve through the year, so while you may want to avoid LAR and ARI, they then start a stretch of PHI, NYG, NYJ, WAS.
Bottom line is, with limited availability on the wire, and knowing what we know at this point in time, do you prefer to go with a steady floor name brand D, or roll the dice with more variable Ds on match up? 
I think there is only one true elite, set it and forget it, defense this year... Baltimore. They are in a tier by themselves and are matchup proof.

For whatever reason defenses have been brutal this year. Since there is only 1 truly great defense this year, I’m more inclined to play the streaming game. But there are limits. The ideal stream play this year imo is an average to good (but not necessarily great) defense vs a bad team. I think there has to be a baseline of competence no matter how bad the matchup on the other side (Although the Jets might be the exception). Ie. Seattle has great matchups down the stretch, but have a historically bad secondary and haven’t shown to present even the slightest resistance to passing games this year.

Of the teams you mentioned, Chicago doesn’t move the needle for me as they are a better defense in real life than fantasy. TB is a big step down from the Ravens tier, but probably below just Pittsburgh after that. In bad matchups I still wouldn’t be comfortable throwing them out there.

Washington gives you a nice baseline with sacks, but they are constantly sabotaged by their anemic offense. A lot of short fields give up easy points. 

Ideally you could carry two of TB and Washington. But if forced to carry just one, I would just take my chances with TB. The game vs KC is the only truly terrible matchup you listed. LAR, MIN, and ATL all have QBs that can be gotten to and be forced into turnovers.

One of the best streaming weeks out there.  Green Bay was available in about half my leagues, and both New Orleans and Minnesota available in about 75% of my leagues.  All 3 are ranked top 6 this week and are decent plays.  It's hard to predict picks and Def tds so I usually stream on points allowed projections.

I was torn between New O and Minny in a couple leagues.  If you have a short bench league, Minny is a good play as you then get the jumpstart on the next few weeks as they host Dallas and Jax in 2 of the next 3 weeks.

One of the best streaming weeks out there.  Green Bay was available in about half my leagues, and both New Orleans and Minnesota available in about 75% of my leagues.  All 3 are ranked top 6 this week and are decent plays.  It's hard to predict picks and Def tds so I usually stream on points allowed projections.

I was torn between New O and Minny in a couple leagues.  If you have a short bench league, Minny is a good play as you then get the jumpstart on the next few weeks as they host Dallas and Jax in 2 of the next 3 weeks.
Have NO and MN right now and leaning NO.

MN scares me a bit. MN has won like twice in the last 12 years in Chicago and that D hasn't scored diddly all year. Good matchup certainly against that CHI offense but I bet Foles has his way hitting Robinson/Miller/Mooney/Graham.

NO could have a serious let down after the big win @TB, but no Mostert/Deebo still and Mullens at QB. Plus, the NO offense tends to move methodically/slow down the field eating up clock and limiting opportunities. Larger favorite as well. Greater chance for Mullens playing catchup and screwing up.

Thoughts on Miami at home vs Chargers this week? Herbert has been on fire, but he’s still a rook. Phins still managed to score well against a better offense in Arizona (granted, it was on the back of a defensive TD). 

I don't love it...but think I am rolling with them for a few weeks.  They are the #5 defense...I don't have the bench to carry two, so going to roll this week and be happy to then get them against Denver then the Jets.

Folks if you hang out in this thread, I find this particular week your ship might have come in. I would not judge what is available based on just the 1st 8 weeks. 

-If for some reason the Phins are around, PICK THEM UP as they have 4 weeks with pretty good match ups and playmakers in their Secondary, I like the match ups and you might not have to keep streaming. Some of you are simply streaming addicts. 

The Giants have hit double digits in my league several times this season, Top 10 in fact and I know Philly is likely to win the game but they do turn the ball over and Wentz does get sacked and you could do worse. I like Tennessee about the same, and think their defense will be more Top 10 2nd half of the year. 

-The Minnesota Viking schedule the next few weeks include @Chi, DAL, CAR, JAX, @TB, CHI...most of those are decent starts. Again I would try to get 1 defense you can live with down the stretch and then open another roster to stream another with. Or settle on a Defense for a couple weeks.  

Have NO and MN right now and leaning NO.

MN scares me a bit. MN has won like twice in the last 12 years in Chicago and that D hasn't scored diddly all year. Good matchup certainly against that CHI offense but I bet Foles has his way hitting Robinson/Miller/Mooney/Graham.

NO could have a serious let down after the big win @TB, but no Mostert/Deebo still and Mullens at QB. Plus, the NO offense tends to move methodically/slow down the field eating up clock and limiting opportunities. Larger favorite as well. Greater chance for Mullens playing catchup and screwing up.
No I mean if you're torn between having one of them on your roster, Minny might be the play as they're awesome for next week.  If you have both on your roster now I'd probably start the Saints but it's close.

-If for some reason the Phins are around, PICK THEM UP as they have 4 weeks with pretty good match ups and playmakers in their Secondary, I like the match ups and you might not have to keep streaming. Some of you are simply streaming addicts.
Really struggling between doing this and picking up either NO or GB for the better one-week matchup....and then doing it all over again next week.

I was planning to pick them up on Saturday for their next few game stretch - now have to give it some thought.  I'm guessing this hurts their Run D more than Pass D.

Really struggling between doing this and picking up either NO or GB for the better one-week matchup....and then doing it all over again next week.
As high as I am on the Phins, I can see how this 4 game streak is going to come to a crashing end here. 

I'm with you all and we roster 2 defenses in a couple of my leagues...i still think the Vikings could be a sleeper and the Giants despite a terrible 2-Win record seems to find 8-12 on defense many weeks, they're top 10 and they seem to float out there on the WW every week. Philly is up n down, love their fan base we have here but the team is hit n miss a lot. I'm not convinced the Igglz just slice right thru them. 

Someone dropped the Browns for their bye week so I picked them up.  Bad matchup this week with the Texans but they have a pretty sweet schedule coming up.  I mainly picked them up for their playoff matchups

wk11 Eagles - Wentz gets sacked a lot and has a tendency for pics

wk12 Jags - rookie QB

wk13 Titans - eh

wk14 Ravens - bad matchup

wk15 Giants - good matchup

wk16 Jets - good matchup

Someone dropped the Browns for their bye week so I picked them up.  Bad matchup this week with the Texans but they have a pretty sweet schedule coming up.  I mainly picked them up for their playoff matchups

wk11 Eagles - Wentz gets sacked a lot and has a tendency for pics

wk12 Jags - rookie QB

wk13 Titans - eh

wk14 Ravens - bad matchup

wk15 Giants - good matchup

wk16 Jets - good matchup
25-30 MPH winds for that CLE/HOU game. Matchup may be better than you think.

A few of the higher scoring defenses have been dropped in my league due to byes. I've seen a bit of discussion in this thread on it but anyone have thoughts on picking a solid to pretty good D and playing them over the good streaming match ups?

I love the combination of Cleveland and Seattle to close out the year. Weeks 12-16 you get nothing but Jets and Giants. 

Rank these d’s for the rest of the year

Min

mia

wsh

nos
Depends on your league scoring of course but I looked at total points yards per play turnovers forced and sacks to rank them.

Washington

Miami

New Orleans

Minnesota

I have heard some pretzel logic about the Vikings being a top 10 defense in some stuff if you throw out their first two games and catch the moon at the right moment but these other 3 teams are top 10 in several of those four categories.

Who do we like for week 11?  I just made a trade that opens up a spot for me to preemptively pick up a second defense. And I’m in must win mode.

Chargers scream start. But I literally lost my matchup two weeks ago to them folding to Broncos in the second half.

Jets usually scream start against, but I literally lost last week’s matchup starting NE against them. 

My team is snake bit and could use some shark pool help finding a prodigy defense for next week.

Who do we like for week 11?  I just made a trade that opens up a spot for me to preemptively pick up a second defense. And I’m in must win mode.

Chargers scream start. But I literally lost my matchup two weeks ago to them folding to Broncos in the second half.

Jets usually scream start against, but I literally lost last week’s matchup starting NE against them. 

My team is snake bit and could use some shark pool help finding a prodigy defense for next week.
What are some of your options on the wire? 

LAC v NYJ

SEA v ARI

WAS v CIN

CON v WAS

CLE v PHI

HOU v NE

My trade processed and I picked up LAC on principle of play anyone against the Jets and they are projected its score the most.  I’ll at least hold them for now.
Of those options I think LAC is the easy play. PHI gives up a lot of sacks, but offense is getting healthy so I would stay away from CLE. WAS would be the only other consideration but I think Burrow probably puts some points on the board there.

I think most defenses across the NFL have not been very good for fantasy because scoring is up across the league. Based on what you are saying points allowed and perhaps yards allowed are factors in your defensive team scoring. Teams are allowing 25.3 points per game in 2020 while in 2019 this was 22.8 points. So those thresholds where you get points for holding the opposing team to 20 points or less is not happening as often this year.

Using FBG scoring the Eagles and Browns. The Eagles have the 3rd most sacks in the league right now, the Browns have caused 4 more turnovers than the NFL average which is what the Eagles have done.

The Eagles sound like they are getting some of their skill players back. The Jets got some of their back in most recent game which I think made a difference.

I think the Chargers have some talented players on defense but they have not performed well and not as well as the Eagles or Browns this year. I would drop them for either of those defenses not sure which one of those two is better moving forward.

Raiders' defence steps up to challenge during 3-game streak

Excerpt:

LAS VEGAS — Coach Jon Gruden challenged the Las Vegas defence a few weeks ago after it was picked apart for 45 points in a loss to Tom Brady and Tampa Bay.

The unit has responded the past three weeks and is a big part of the team’s three-game winning steak that has the Raiders in the thick of the AFC playoff race headed into a showdown against Kansas City.

The Raiders intercepted four passes, recovered one fumble, and completely flummoxed Drew Lock in a 37-12 victory on Sunday over the Denver Broncos.

“Them boys went crazy,” running back Josh Jacobs said. “It was fun celebrating them doing good and just seeing them make plays. You just see them have fun and flying around and not think too much. So hopefully we can translate that into next week.”

Las Vegas held Cleveland to six points in a bad-weather game in Week 8, made a stop in the end zone at the end of a win over the Chargers last week, and then delivered one of the franchise’s best defensive performances in years against the Broncos.

The Raiders had their first four-interception game since 2008 and first game with five takeaways in seven years. A much-maligned group in recent years is starting to perform better.

Over the past three weeks, the Raiders rank in the top five in takeaways (7), passer rating against (68.1) and points allowed (14.7 per game).

“We didn’t make any huge changes,” safety Jeff Heath said. “I think we know the plan a little bit, but really, we’re just playing better. It’s just what it comes down to. It’s not about the plan, it’s not about who we're playing, it’s not about the conditions. You got to play good, you just got to do your job. Play in and play out for the entire game.”

A few of the higher scoring defenses have been dropped in my league due to byes. I've seen a bit of discussion in this thread on it but anyone have thoughts on picking a solid to pretty good D and playing them over the good streaming match ups?

I love the combination of Cleveland and Seattle to close out the year. Weeks 12-16 you get nothing but Jets and Giants. 
Giants don't seem like too patsy of a team to face any longer.

And still don't see Seattle warranting faith outside of the match ups.

A lot of options on the wire this week I don't really trust:

* CLE vs PHI -- Good defensive front, but holes in the secondary. At home though. Weather could be a factor. Philly O line is leaky. Decent matchup.

* LAC vs NYJ -- LAC D just isn't good, but the matchup with the Jets is. However, Flacco breathed some life into them last week. Looked highly competent with Crowder, Mims, Perriman out there.

* WASH vs Cinci -- Thought Wash was good then DET ran all over them and did what they wanted. Don't get this D. Good on paper. Cinci/Burrow sackable, but could also see Burrow getting 30 points on the board.

* MN vs DAL -- MN D looked good last night, but CHI offense horrible. Dallas has had the bye week to get some things together and Dalton should be back under center.

Considering one of the above or just sticking with my NO D (which I don't love with Winston giving the ball to ATL O all day).

* CLE vs PHI -- Good defensive front, but holes in the secondary. At home though. Weather could be a factor. Philly O line is leaky. Decent matchup.

* LAC vs NYJ -- LAC D just isn't good, but the matchup with the Jets is. However, Flacco breathed some life into them last week. Looked highly competent with Crowder, Mims, Perriman out there.

* WASH vs Cinci -- Thought Wash was good then DET ran all over them and did what they wanted. Don't get this D. Good on paper. Cinci/Burrow sackable, but could also see Burrow getting 30 points on the board.

* MN vs DAL -- MN D looked good last night, but CHI offense horrible. Dallas has had the bye week to get some things together and Dalton should be back under center.

Considering one of the above or just sticking with my NO D (which I don't love with Winston giving the ball to ATL O all day).
I have NO, but also have Ryan and Julio and Ridley in a must win fantasy matchup to keep playoff hopes alive, so not sure I love facing my own defense.

Im trying to scoop Chargers but fully agree that matchup is really hard to trust. Looks good on paper but can’t be trusted.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Giants don't seem like too patsy of a team to face any longer.

And still don't see Seattle warranting faith outside of the match ups.
Yeah, Giants are starting to have a pulse since Sheppard came back. Don’t get me wrong, they are still a terrible team, just not the locked and loaded streaming matchup to seek out. I streamed Philly D vs them this week and got burned. (Of course, Philly D was embarrassing as well).

Yeah, all of those are tough to trust, but I still think the LAC is the way to go. Yes, Flacco showed some juice last week, but I wouldn’t bet on that happening again. Jets are still the premier team to target for Ds until further notice.

As a Skins fan, I think the Cincy game is a stay away. Great D line so they have a baseline for sacks, but Burrow will carve them up and put points on the board.

Cleveland is a decent consideration at home as well. Eagles offense still looks pathetic coming off the bye week. And if the Browns get an assist from Mother Nature again with ridiculously strong winds, even better.  I’m holding Philly D now, but considering going Cleveland (LAC unavailable). Philly really laid an egg last week, cost me a win.

I had NO, but I know ATL can move the ball and score.  I'm actually considering picking up the Rams from the WW.  The article posted above makes an interesting case.  Looking at their past scores in my league, they don't look too bad.

I have NO, but also have Ryan and Julio and Ridley in a must win fantasy matchup to keep playoff hopes alive, so not sure I love facing my own defense.

Im trying to scoop Chargers but fully agree that matchup is really hard to trust. Looks good on paper but can’t be trusted.
I also have NO, but besides Atlanta having a strong offense, Jameis is capable of giving them short fields or even a pick 6.  I'm actually leaning Browns first, then Chargers, then maybe Rams.

I also have NO, but besides Atlanta having a strong offense, Jameis is capable of giving them short fields or even a pick 6.  I'm actually leaning Browns first, then Chargers, then maybe Rams.
I have two Eagles, and three Falcons... sometimes it’s impossible but hate starting defenses against multiple skill players. But I could see the browns doing well against Wentz. And there aren’t a ton of super low scoring games these days anyways.

Does anyone dare look at the Seahawks' terrible defense and their upcoming schedule of Philly, Giants, Jets, Football Team?

Does anyone dare look at the Seahawks' terrible defense and their upcoming schedule of Philly, Giants, Jets, Football Team?
It’s tempting but their secondary has been historically awful. Could easily see this backfiring. Only matchup I would consider there are the Jets, and even Flacco might be able to carve up that D. As bad as Philly has been, I think they’ll be able to put up some points. Giants are quickly moving out of the “offenses to target every week” tier as they’re showing a pulse since Shepherd has come back and Jones is running a bit. I got burned last week streaming Philly against them. 

How do we like the Rams against statue-esque Brady?  I was kinda surprised to see that the Bucs have only given up 14 sacks this year.  I've currently got the Chargers going against the Jets, but I only have room for one defense on my roster, and I'd kinda like to snag the Rams for ROS.

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  :cry:

But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers may have nabbed from wires, wanted to see what people thought about best D pairings through ROS.

Starting with MIA, who have a great three game stretch of @DEN, @NYJ, CIN. They finish with KC, NE, and LV -- I think MIA has the ability to play tough, but imagine you would look for other options against KC, and NE and LV can put up points (though performance varies). Assuming Ds like the 9ers, Bears, etc. are taken.

So for weeks 14-16, some viable candidates to pair with MIA might be:

• SEA: NYJ, @WAS, LAR -- love the match ups, can't trust the D though
  • CAR: DEN, @GB, @WAS -- Panthers really struggle on D, not sure I could trust them either.
  • CLE: BAL, @NYG, @NYJ -- BAL may be a better match up than KC, but NYG are warming up.
  • TEN: @JAC, DET, @GB -- I like the first two match ups, but think you'd never play them in the final week of the fantasy season in Lambeau
  • HOU: @CHI, @IND, CIN -- hmm... Not like you can trust HOU either, but CHI is beatable, CIN sucks, and IND is the wildcard there
  • GB: @DET, CAR, TEN -- like the first two match ups, not the last one
So if it's me, I think I'd be most comfortable with stacking MIA and CLE based on schedule match and Ds with talent that might be trustworthy.

I'll do NO now -- a D I also don't have, but one that seems a lot of people have picked up.

NO faces ATL, @DEN, @ATL, @ PHI, KC, and MIN. I think NO can contain Atlanta but it's a divisional game, and Atlanta still has offensive skill. So ideally you'd be looking for options in weeks 11, 13, 15, and 16.

Some pairings might be:

• CIN: @WAS, NYG @MIA, DAL, PIT, @ HOU -- this ticks the box for options in weeks 11 and 16, and I think DAL may be slightly better than facing PHI at the moment, but can you trust CIN? Nah, didn't think so
  • CLE: PHI, @JAC, @TEN, BAL, @NYG, @NYJ -- ticks boxes for 11 (depending on how you feel about ATL vs PHI), perhaps week 15 if the Giants start to fade and certainly the Jets
  • HOU: NE, @DET, IND, @CHI, @IND, CIN -- maybe? NE and IND are really unpredictable for a D to face
  • KC: @LV, @TB, DEN, @MIA, @NO, ATL -- maybe not available, but maybe dropped because of their bye. Ticks off weeks 11, 13, and would absolutely start KC v NO if Brees is still out than the other way around, and ATL is variable.
  • MIA: @DEN, @ NYJ, CIN, KC, NE, @LV -- if you are able to scoop them too, this might be the stack to have.
  • MIN: DAL, CAR, JAC, @TB, CHI, @NO -- ticks off weeks 11 and 13 for sure, potentially 15, then a coin toss between the two in week 16
So again, if it's me, if you can't stack MIA and NO, I'd be looking at MIN or KC.

Anyone else with a view on what overall two Ds are best to pair down the stretch?

Users who are viewing this thread