Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread

Overthinking?

Grabbed KC a few weeks ago when there owner dropped them for the bye. Have the Rams-Saints combo, which has actually been LAR WKs 4-8 then NOS WKs 9-12. Obviously, have gotten great scoring from my DST all year.

BUT...been staring at Week 13 forever thinking Imma have to look elsewhere. This, Chiefs and the odd experience of carrying 3 Ds (who needs depth at this point tbh....1 QB/TE/K 4-5 WRs and as many RB lottery tickets as can collect)

Now I am looking at how well the Rams and Saints are playing IRL and scoring great on FF and wondering why I’m carrying the Broncos. I guess of nothing else, keep them so someone else doesn’t get a freebie.

(locked into #4 seed, this week is meaningless)

KC VS DEN (2nd most FFPA to DST)

LAR @ ARI (5th fewest)

NOS @ ATL (9th fewest)

:shrug:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is a ranking of the Week 15 defenses.  In bold is the defense followed by average points scored.  Next is their opponent and average points allowed to opposing defenses.  Lastly, the two numbers

Might pre-emptively pick up Green Bay Packers, after this week their next 3 are BUF, DET, SF

Lots of people may have scooped up MIA. I wasn't one of them given waiver priority.  But in the interest of looking down the stretch with Ds that have become "hot" as of late and that streamers ma

3 minutes ago, Team Smokin' said:

Blitzburgh is a plug n' play. Not used to not streaming. I did pick up SEA off of FA waiver wire just in case that PIT - BAL game got cancelled. 

SEA has a decent schedule and probably a top 10 play these next couple weeks.

Week 13 NYG at SEA (solid play with Jones likely out)

Week 14 NYJ at SEA (Turnover machine)

There's no way to hold a second D unless there's nobody I hit with a waiver wire pick up from the likes of Gore, Booker, Landry, or D Parker - yep, someone dropped Parker last week. In other words I am not in a big hurry to drop SEA unless I get an upgrade. 

SEA is like 23rd in our format, 27th in PA, 32nd in YdsA (which we score similar to PA.) Ladt week was the first time all year they hit double digit. But obviously the next two weeks are about as juicy as it gets.

• Like 2

49ers may be rounding back into shape. Sherman is back and I think a few others that went down earlier this year. The D has not been great for fantasy this year, but they've been top 10 in real world football. Crushed the Rams last week. Maybe the return of some playmakers will shift their fantasy fortunes.

13 vs Bills

14 vs FootballTeam

15 at Cowboys

16 at Cardinals

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Adso said:

49ers may be rounding back into shape. Sherman is back and I think a few others that went down earlier this year. The D has not been great for fantasy this year, but they've been top 10 in real world football. Crushed the Rams last week. Maybe the return of some playmakers will shift their fantasy fortunes.

13 vs Bills

14 vs FootballTeam

15 at Cowboys

16 at Cardinals

Yup. I think SF is trending in the right direction as a whole. They are getting healthy on offense (which will help the defense) as well as getting healthy on the defensive side. That said, avoiding this week against BUF but will definitely consider in weeks 14 and 15. Week 16 may be an option if AZ keeps trending down.

This week I'm torn between NO and KC. Was all set to start NO against ATL, but CB Jenkins is out, Lattimore seems iffy, and both Julio and Gurley look like they may play. In addition, it feels like the wheels are coming off for T. Hill while ATL seems to be playing with some fight lately. Also, I expected a lot more from the NO D last week against a QB less Denver team.

KC clobbered DEN previously and is a massive favorite at home. Could see Lock giving it away a bit trying to come back.

Currently have Saints and Seahawks.  I'll be starting Seahawks this week.  If Gaskins gets activated I'll need to drop somebody and Saints might be the choice.  49ers and Browns are both currently on the WW so good chance I can pick up somebody next week.  Schedules below with good matchups in bold, bad matchups underlined.  I don't really view Washington or Giants (with Jones back) as matchups to target - I'd consider them more neutral.

Seahawks - 14 home vs. Jets, 15 at Washington, 16 home vs Rams

Saints - 14 at Eagles, 15 home vs. Chiefs, 16 home vs. Vikings

49ers - 14 home vs Washington, 15 at Cowboys, 16 at Cardinals (will that be like a home game now?  )

Browns - 14 home vs Ravens, 15 at Giants, 16 at Jets

27 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Yup. I think SF is trending in the right direction as a whole. They are getting healthy on offense (which will help the defense) as well as getting healthy on the defensive side. That said, avoiding this week against BUF but will definitely consider in weeks 14 and 15. Week 16 may be an option if AZ keeps trending down.

This week I'm torn between NO and KC. Was all set to start NO against ATL, but CB Jenkins is out, Lattimore seems iffy, and both Julio and Gurley look like they may play. In addition, it feels like the wheels are coming off for T. Hill while ATL seems to be playing with some fight lately. Also, I expected a lot more from the NO D last week against a QB less Denver team.

KC clobbered DEN previously and is a massive favorite at home. Could see Lock giving it away a bit trying to come back.

Lattimore was not on the practice report all week and does not have an injury designation - what makes you think he is iffy?

5 minutes ago, themeistersinger said:

Lattimore was not on the practice report all week and does not have an injury designation - what makes you think he is iffy?

Well, it's a combo of him previously being injured and maybe there's some lingering here, but also he just hasn't been the shutdown CB of the past.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Does Tua starting have a negative impact on the Dolphins Defense? Not sure if there is anything to read into here. 

If it's true that the line didn't move with the Tua news, then it seems like it shouldn't affect the D much.

Their opponent being the Bengals probably negates many of the variables about their D today.

• Thanks 1

Don't know how. Don't know why.

But CLE is now sitting on the wire.

With a bye in the first week of the playoffs, looking ahead to weeks 15 and 16 I can't see a better D facing the Giants and Jets.

Would you shed one of MIA (facing NE and LV which could be wildcards despite MIA being stout) or TB (on the road against both ATL and DET)?

Or shed handcuff/depth RBs like Booker or Edmonds?

Seems like shedding one of the Ds is a better move to preserve depth as I am likely to ride CLE (if I can land them) but wouldn't want to face those Ds in the playoffs.

51 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Don't know how. Don't know why.

But CLE is now sitting on the wire.

With a bye in the first week of the playoffs, looking ahead to weeks 15 and 16 I can't see a better D facing the Giants and Jets.

Would you shed one of MIA (facing NE and LV which could be wildcards despite MIA being stout) or TB (on the road against both ATL and DET)?

Or shed handcuff/depth RBs like Booker or Edmonds?

Seems like shedding one of the Ds is a better move to preserve depth as I am likely to ride CLE (if I can land them) but wouldn't want to face those Ds in the playoffs.

You know your league better than I do but carrying 3 defenses seems excessive.

At this point I don't see you starting Edmonds though. So I suppose he is an option. I would keep Booker over him.

I do think Cleveland is a good defense but Tampa vs Detroit or Cleveland vs the Jets. Both are pretty juicy. The week 15 match ups look worse than week 16 for these 3 defenses so would you rather start Miami vs NE or Cleveland vs the Giants?

I think if you decide who you want to start each of these two weeks that can make your decision and you don't need the 3rd defense unless you want to do that to block your opponent from access to them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

I think if you decide who you want to start each of these two weeks that can make your decision and you don't need the 3rd defense unless you want to do that to block your opponent from access to them.

I would pick up Cleveland against the Jets.   It doesn’t get better than that.   The Browns are surging.  The Jets are tanking.  Drop a D and keep that RB depth.  

Secured a bye but now struggling with week 15 options. 

I've got SF (@DAL) and NO (vs KC). The SF matchup isn't bad, but don't think it's great either...was actually impressed how well Dalton moved the ball last night against BALT. No way I'm starting NO against KC but going to hang onto them just in case I need them week 16 vs. MN.

That leaves:

* AZ vs PHI -- Could be a bonanza if Hurts is still starting and clearly a mess along with the rest of PHI.

* NE @MIA -- Think NE D is coming on and Tua is scaring nobody. That offense is clunky with Tua at the helm.

* NYG vs CLE -- Best D available, but not a good matchup.

Right now thinking of prioritizing AZ tonight for week 15.

21 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Secured a bye but now struggling with week 15 options. 

I've got SF (@DAL) and NO (vs KC). The SF matchup isn't bad, but don't think it's great either...was actually impressed how well Dalton moved the ball last night against BALT. No way I'm starting NO against KC but going to hang onto them just in case I need them week 16 vs. MN.

That leaves:

* AZ vs PHI -- Could be a bonanza if Hurts is still starting and clearly a mess along with the rest of PHI.

* NE @MIA -- Think NE D is coming on and Tua is scaring nobody. That offense is clunky with Tua at the helm.

* NYG vs CLE -- Best D available, but not a good matchup.

Right now thinking of prioritizing AZ tonight for week 15.

Of course, AZ and NYG grabbed overnight. Managed to snag NE. Now grappling with week 15 options:

* NE @MIA -- NE D coming on. Hoodie vs rookie Tua could pay off.

* SF @DAL -- Not loving this one anymore after Dalton moved the ball fairly well against BALT.

* MIA vs NE -- Just dropped last night. Think their strength is the secondary and I doubt NE runs much.

* BUFF @DEN -- Just dropped. Great matchup. However, on the road and a "sandwich" game between this week's matchup against PIT and the week after against NE. Could see a total flat team flying west.

Leaning NE.

Anybody else rolling out LAR defense tonight?

Don’t like the TNF obviously, feel like if Rams are stopping the run and Cam is throwing, that it could get ugly.

Have the option to pivot to KC v Tua. KC hasn’t really looked too spectacular  despite some good recent matchups and Tua seems likely to still put up points. 

Can’t beat a good DST discussion. Good luck all.  

43 minutes ago, bizkliz said:

Anybody else rolling out LAR defense tonight?

Don’t like the TNF obviously, feel like if Rams are stopping the run and Cam is throwing, that it could get ugly.

Have the option to pivot to KC v Tua. KC hasn’t really looked too spectacular  despite some good recent matchups and Tua seems likely to still put up points. 

Can’t beat a good DST discussion. Good luck all.  

As of now, I’m rolling with the Rams over WFT.   I think.  

Nice start to the playoffs for all those Rams D owners out there. I needed the upside this week, so that was huge. Rams D is just a terror this year. And once teams get down and are forced to pass, this defense just chokes their life away. 

Rams put up 30 in my league tonight, with the Jets next week should we be expecting a 40 burger?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

Nice start to the playoffs for all those Rams D owners out there. I needed the upside this week, so that was huge. Rams D is just a terror this year. And once teams get down and are forced to pass, this defense just chokes their life away. 

Rams put up 30 in my league tonight, with the Jets next week should we be expecting a 40 burger?

Glad you went with the Rams.  I switched to the WFT last minute.  Hope they can do ok.   If I win this and have another week, the Rams are going to be a great start against the tanking Jets.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Was thinking of NE as an option next week @Miami with Tua at the helm, but whoah...they looked terrible last night against the run. Wow.

I’m starting to feel pretty good about Mia next week vs the pats.

panthers this week, anyone?  They’ve had two very big games the past couple weeks and Denver is pathetic.

probably will stick with Saints vs hurts first start, but it’s intriguing.

2 hours ago, themeistersinger said:

Looking to pick up for next week one of these two

Niners at Cowboys - SF currently favored by 3.5

Browns at Giants - CLE currently favored by 3

Currently have Seahawks - next week they are at Washington - Seahawks favored by 3.5

I have both the 49ers and Browns rostered.... currently planning on starting the Browns. The 49ers are a better real world D, but the Browns score more fantasy points w/sacks and turnovers... at least in my league. The matchups seem like a wash. 

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, gruecd said:

I was thinking to pick up Cleveland for week 16, but I don't see how I can possibly bench the Rams right now.

I’m thinking of week 16 as well, as the Rams at Seattle would have me concerned, but as you said, they are on fire right now. But if I had the option of scooping Cleveland right now versus the Jets I would jump on it.

Edited by Johnny Utah #9
5 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I’m starting to feel pretty good about Mia next week vs the pats.

1 hour ago, Sarlakticacid said:

Something strange always happens in Miami when NE play there 

riding the phins D for sure 

This is true.

But this feels like a trap.

(or maybe that's me and my regret for not having MIA anymore).

PIT D/ST owner here. Been great pretty much all year with only one down defensive game. Gotta keep rolling them out... I think.

Dilemma is also starting J Allen and Beasley at WR 3 against my PIT D. Pivot to another decent D or pivot to Taysom at QB, or just stand pat. So far standing pat.

10 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

This is true.

But this feels like a trap.

(or maybe that's me and my regret for not having MIA anymore).

NE historically has trouble down in Miami late in the season. However, BB obviously knows Flores well.

I have the NE D and MIA D is in waivers. I'm leaning on the MIA side just because Tua doesn't seem to turn the ball over.

Since Cam refuses to throw for over 125 yards the Miami D seems like a safe floor bet. Think I need upside though. My potential opponents have the LAR and SEA D in great matchups.

Assume those that own NO D are playing them this week, but after this week are we ditching them?

No way am I starting vs KC in week 15 and then week 16 the matchup is at home vs. MN. Statistically, MN is a plus matchup and Cousins on the road is always shaky. That said, that team has firepower and seems to be rolling with Cook/Theilan/Jefferson.

Since I'm on bye I'm tempted to ditch NO and look for other week 16 options. Don't love what I see as alternatives though:

* KC vs ATL

* HOU vs CINCI --- These "lousy Ds vs lousy Os" choices always seem to backfire (like LV @NYJ last week).

* PHI @DAL

* BUF@NE -- Actually, this matchup could be a good one. Buffalo could be looking to put a nail in the NE coffin and secure the division among other things. And who knows...NE may have turned to Stidham at this point. Hmmmm.

1 hour ago, Team Smokin' said:

PIT D/ST owner here. Been great pretty much all year with only one down defensive game. Gotta keep rolling them out... I think.

Dilemma is also starting J Allen and Beasley at WR 3 against my PIT D. Pivot to another decent D or pivot to Taysom at QB, or just stand pat. So far standing pat.

I'm in the same dilemma. Pitt D has been great but they are facing a top Off and have lost some key players on the Defensive side.

• Like 1
  • Faust changed the title to 2021 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread