What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the best advice you've been given to in your life? (1 Viewer)

So my old man brought home an Apple 2e and said, "You kids should learn how to program.  This is going to be big in the future."   So I spent a couple of days programming, and managed to make a line move across the screen and back.  And thought, "What a ####### waste of time."   

I had to go to a party for someone way above my pay grade at my first job. I was new and asked if it was appropriate to go to this since he was way up the food chain and I didn’t know him. A guy in my office who had been around said that I should and “make your presence known, but not remembered.”  I always thought that was great advice for the professional world.  Let them know you cared enough to show without letting them remember you ripping your shirt off and puking on their couch. 

When I was working as a consultant, and had been at the same place for 8 years, my manager reminded me...  "Everybody is replaceable" ..

Sure enough, two years later they didn't renew my contract which caught me off guard. :eek:
Luckily, they let me finish my contract as it took 2 of the 3 months to find work.

I now make sure to continue to educate myself on the latest applications to make sure I am more marketable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother replying to everything on Facebook. Or FBG  Or in real life. 

Know your why. 

Problem with a family member, co-worker, boss, school, relationship, places, things, etc, etc, etc?  Look inside first, what am I doing or not doing to solve the problem.

Problem with a family member, co-worker, boss, school, relationship, places, things, etc, etc, etc?  Look inside first, what am I doing or not doing to solve the problem.
The flip side to "It's not about you" is "Sometimes it might be about you". ;)  Especially in cases like you describe.

Two gems from Grandpa Swanson:

"If it flies, floats, or ####s, always rent -- never buy".  I've failed miserably at this one except I don't own an airplane.

"Don't trust nothin' without shoulders".  This has served me well. Always been terrified of sneks though.

My 6th grade teacher said this to our class and it has always stuck with me. I've already told my son and he's tried to apply it as well.

"It's a lot easier to keep a good reputation than it is to get rid of a bad one."

F-around, f-around, ain't gonna be around.

Also: remember no one is better than you, but you are no better than anyone else.

My 6th grade teacher said this to our class and it has always stuck with me. I've already told my son and he's used it as all.

"It's a lot easier to keep a good reputation than it is to get rid of a bad one."
Especially with Yelp and Google reviews.

Got two excellent pieces of singing advice from musical greats:

Bob Palmer (Addicted To Love): "End your notes. If you must close your bleedin' gob after each one in order to do so, end each note before starting another and, for God's sakes, don't leave them trailing."

John David Souther (Victim of Love): "When harmonizing, challenge a man, support a woman".

Count your breaths.  

Tell and show your kids you love what they do.  

Plastics.  

Users who are viewing this thread