What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (1 Viewer)

Somewhere immortalized out on the internet is a really cool interview with Gary Kurtz about a lot of the original concepts they had before Lucas decided to rewrite the outline for Jedi. Kurtz left after Empire because he felt Lucas had morphed into caring more about selling merchandise than telling a great story. Stuff like Leia not actually being Luke's sister, there being another trilogy that would have occurred and the story not being tied up all neatly in Jedi. IIRC, we would have met Luke's sister on some other planet only to eventually have her be killed, Han would have been rescued but would have died during the final fighting, no teddy bears, no second death star, and no big happy ending celebration. Some of those concepts probably wouldn't have worked or likely needed to be fleshed out further...

To think we may never have had the boogie down productions of the Ewok victory celebration. Yub Dub!
It’s weirder to me the guy left the franchise dormant for 15 years while all those insanely popular actors (characters) were in their prime. 

My BIL is kind of a db and his big gripe was he thought it was annoying they made all women and minority heroes in the new series.  Sadly, I bet that same view is what’s causing a lot of the negative sentiment. 
Oh man do I know somebody like this. Says the same thing word for word. It really sucks, can’t even have a conversation with them about it. 

It’s weirder to me the guy left the franchise dormant for 15 years while all those insanely popular actors (characters) were in their prime. 
It’s not weird and very much in George's anti-fame, non-Hollywood character, since he focused on raising his kids during that 15 year period. 

It’s not weird and very much in George's anti-fame, non-Hollywood character, since he focused on raising his kids during that 15 year period. 
I didn’t say he had to be the guy that did the movies. That’s great he raised his kids however somebody else could have taken the wheel. Doesn’t matter now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It is also is a bit of a misnomer that he was not working, he only stopped directing during this time period.  The guy was busy writing for a ton of films and TV, some were good, some sucked.

Body Heat, Labyrinth, the Land Before Time, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Howard the Duck, Willow, Tucker The Man and His Dream and many others he was involved in one form or another.

He was also building up Lucasfilm at this point.  A little known tidbit is that the team that made up his early graphics group from Lucasfilm was purchased by Steven Jobs who eventually turned them into Pixar.

WTH is going on here?

"Game of Thrones" creators David Benioff and DB Weiss are no longer working on a new trilogy set in the "Star Wars" universe, an individual with knowledge of the situation tells TheWrap.

No reason was given for their departure, but in a statement provided to TheWrap, Benioff and Weiss said: "We love Star Wars. When George Lucas built it, he built us too. Getting to talk about Star Wars with him and the current Star Wars team was the thrill of a lifetime, and we will always be indebted to the saga that changed everything."

"David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers," Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement also provided to TheWrap. "We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars."

A new "Star Wars" trilogy created by Benioff and Weiss was first announced in February of 2018. While no plot or story details were ever disclosed, Lucasfilm said at the time that they would be entirely separate from the episodic Skywalker saga which is set to end with "The Rise of Skywalker" in December.

It was also unrelated to the separate trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi." The status of that trilogy remains unknown at present. Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, Johnson said last week that he has "no update at all" about the status of his trilogy. "But I'm still working with Lucasfilm on it, and they're figuring out when they do what and everything."

Disney did not immediately respond to questions about the status of Johnson's trilogy. But a sign of things to come may be the announcement in September that Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige is also developing a new "Star Wars" film alongside Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy.

Like Johnson's officially still-on trilogy and the now-aborted Benioff and Weiss series, no details about Feige's trilogy have been made public. But unlike Johnson, or Benioff and Weiss, Feige is a major power within Disney in his own right. And less than two weeks ago was given even greater responsibility within the company by being named Chief Creative Officer of Marvel. Under his new title, he now has full oversight over not just the lucrative Marvel Cinematic Universe, but also Marvel's television efforts, animation, and comic book publishing.

Deadline first reported the departure of Benioff and Weiss.

Taylor & Lord fired from Solo.

Benioff and Weiss leave "because...reasons" as the kids say.

Johnson's being ushered out the back door (although he doesn't appear to realize it).

Great going Kennedy/Disney!

Want to put money on the next director being Patty Jenkins (which might be really good, actually) or, shudder, someone like Ava DuVernay?

I re-watched TFA and TLJ over the weekend and overall enjoyed them as much as when they came out.  I think my biggest beef with Rian Johnson was that the humor was a bit heavy handed.  Two scenes in particular.  The one where it looks like a ship is coming in for a landing and then it zooms out to show it's an iron that's steaming some First Order uniforms, and the other one is when Kylo Ren slides around a corner like Tom Cruise in Risky Business.  Is he hanging around with just his socks on?  I don't let things like this ruin the overall experience, however.  

The scene where Kylo kills Snoke and he and Rey proceed to decimate Snoke's guards was badass.  

He said the line in the movie. Biggs vouched for him in the movie. We saw him fly in the movie and be a bit green at it. 

We don't get any exposition that Rey is a pilot. She just jumps in and flies the millennium falcon like a seasoned expert. Later in the movie we see her dropped on Jakku as a little girl. Meaning she hadn't even been on a spaceship as far as we know since she was 6-7 years old. No one told us she could fly the whole movie. How would we under she had any pilot skills on a desert planet full of scrap?
Typical Disney plot holes. 

This is the times. Girl hero....she rules....girl power. I get it. She was an insta-bad ###. 

I enjoyed TFA. I will love Rise of Skywalker too. 

It's just Star Wars.....not Star Trek. It is a space soap opera fantasy. It supposed to be just fun and really....it's for the kids so they can buy toys. Just like we did back in 1977-1983.

Typical Disney plot holes. 

This is the times. Girl hero....she rules....girl power. I get it. She was an insta-bad ###. 

I enjoyed TFA. I will love Rise of Skywalker too. 

It's just Star Wars.....not Star Trek. It is a space soap opera fantasy. It supposed to be just fun and really....it's for the kids so they can buy toys. Just like we did back in 1977-1983.
It wasn't just kids who loved Star Wars in the 70's and 80's otherwise it would never have become the global pop culture phenomenon that it was. 

Star wars is not for kids. It's for everyone. 

It wasn't just kids who loved Star Wars in the 70's and 80's otherwise it would never have become the global pop culture phenomenon that it was. 

Star wars is not for kids. It's for everyone. 
Yeah.....but the movies are simple, not complex and easy for a kid to love.

Kids don't go gaga for Star Trek that was my point. 

And everyone still loves Star Wars.

Yeah.....but the movies are simple, not complex and easy for a kid to love.

Kids don't go gaga for Star Trek that was my point. 

And everyone still loves Star Wars.
We're not talking complex stuff here though. Lucas explained Luke being a pilot in about 1 minute worth of dialogue. It's just lazy writing trying to make her a mystery. Which could have been fine if they paid that off in Ep8. But they didn't.

We're not talking complex stuff here though. Lucas explained Luke being a pilot in about 1 minute worth of dialogue. It's just lazy writing trying to make her a mystery. Which could have been fine if they paid that off in Ep8. But they didn't.
I am not disagreeing with you. The plot holes were obvious and kinda stupid, they simply could not fill in the blanks? It certainly was a lack of detail and like you said....could have been done in a minute of dialog.

Insein said:
Exactly, all they had to do was have her go to some spot after getting her food and asking if there were any openings for any pilots and be told none again today. Or maybe only for deep space stuff which she won't take bacause she's waiting for her parents to come back. That would've shown that she can pilot and that she is still pining for the parents. That could've been done in 20 seconds. 

We saw that she knew her way around a ship after the scene where she's talking with Han about what was wrong with the Falcon.  Not a stretch at all that she would know the basics of how pilot  a ship.  Plus, she's super force sensitive so that'd just make her more adept at it.  Seems like a weird  nit to pick.   

We saw that she knew her way around a ship after the scene where she's talking with Han about what was wrong with the Falcon.  Not a stretch at all that she would know the basics of how pilot  a ship.  Plus, she's super force sensitive so that'd just make her more adept at it.  Seems like a weird  nit to pick.   
She had a mechanical mind. She knew what parts of the fallen ships on her planet were worth the most. There's a reason the NASCAR drivers don't hop out and change their own tires. Pilots pilot and mechanics get dirty. 

She had a mechanical mind. She knew what parts of the fallen ships on her planet were worth the most. There's a reason the NASCAR drivers don't hop out and change their own tires. Pilots pilot and mechanics get dirty. 
Except this isn't NASCAR, it's a fantasy space universe.  Even then, I feel like a super force sensitive NASCAR mechanic who knows his way in and out of a NASCAR would be able to drive one.  It's not as giant a leap as you guys are stating and it reeks of trying to find something wrong with the movie.  There are plenty of things wrong with it, but this one seems like a weird take to me.  

Except this isn't NASCAR, it's a fantasy space universe.  Even then, I feel like a super force sensitive NASCAR mechanic who knows his way in and out of a NASCAR would be able to drive one.  It's not as giant a leap as you guys are stating and it reeks of trying to find something wrong with the movie.  There are plenty of things wrong with it, but this one seems like a weird take to me.  
It's just a small piece if the bigger whole. JJ wanted to make her a mystery. Where did she get all these skills? Why is she so good at everything? Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe she's got a great lineage or was born with super force powers and that's why she was abandoned for fear of people using her. 

Then Rian basically said nope. All your theories are trash. She's nobody. She just can do these things because the plot says she can.

Not to mention half of Harrison Ford's screen time in the OT was fixing the Falcon.  And he wasn't even force sensitive.

It's just a small piece if the bigger whole. JJ wanted to make her a mystery. Where did she get all these skills? Why is she so good at everything? Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe she's got a great lineage or was born with super force powers and that's why she was abandoned for fear of people using her. 

Then Rian basically said nope. All your theories are trash. She's nobody. She just can do these things because the plot says she can.
From the first movie, the takeaway for me with Rey was that she was super mechanically skilled and spent her time tinkering and working on ships, even helping that boss guy fix up and modify the Falcon.  I just assumed some sort of rudimentary knowledge of piloting went along with this because of her mechanical aptitude and we also see her piloting that landspeeder thing in the desert.  Throw in force sensitivity and that explains why she can pick it up so fast and be VERY good at it.  I didn't need a 20 second confirmation dialog for this to be believable and Johnson didn't do anything to contradict any of this.   

So no, she can do these things because she's worked around ships all her life and is super force sensitive.  Why does her lineage need to explain her powers?

From the first movie, the takeaway for me with Rey was that she was super mechanically skilled and spent her time tinkering and working on ships, even helping that boss guy fix up and modify the Falcon.  I just assumed some sort of rudimentary knowledge of piloting went along with this because of her mechanical aptitude and we also see her piloting that landspeeder thing in the desert.  Throw in force sensitivity and that explains why she can pick it up so fast and be VERY good at it.  I didn't need a 20 second confirmation dialog for this to be believable and Johnson didn't do anything to contradict any of this.   

So no, she can do these things because she's worked around ships all her life and is super force sensitive.  Why does her lineage need to explain her powers?
She uses a Jedi mind trick on a storm trooper. She uses force pull flawlessly to draw a lightsaber to her. She defeats a dark force user who had been training with the force his whole life having never fought with a lightsaber before.  She was obviously billed as something more than just a girl getting by picking scraps on a desert planet. 

Here are some things I do think went bad with the TFA and TLJ

- Kylo taking a dead on shot from Chewie's crossbolt and it only being a wound.  Didn't we see shots from this thing completely blow away Stormtroopers earlier in the movie?

- Finn lasting more than 1 second in a lightsaber duel with Kylo.  I know Kylo was injured and one handed, but still. 

- Luke's lightsaber conveniently sitting in a box in the basement of that bar.  

- After Han died and the heroes return to the rebel base, Chewie walks right past Leia without any sort of acknowledgement or consoling.  Leia should've hugged Chewie there instead of Rey.  

- Holdo was a useless character to me.  Just replace her with Ackbar and suddenly his sacrafice has a lot more of an impact.  

- Leia Poppins

- Hux is a bit too much of a caricature for me.  

She uses a Jedi mind trick on a storm trooper. She uses force pull flawlessly to draw a lightsaber to her. She defeats a dark force user who had been training with the force his whole life having never fought with a lightsaber before.  She was obviously billed as something more than just a girl getting by picking scraps on a desert planet. 
Right, but why can't a common, nobody girl be born with super force sensitivity? Has it been established that this is impossible?  She certainly is billed as something more, but why do her parents have to be part of the explanation?

Also, to be fair Kylo was injured and essentially one handed in that duel.  

Right, but why can't a common, nobody girl be born with super force sensitivity? Has it been established that this is impossible?  She certainly is billed as something more, but why do her parents have to be part of the explanation?

Also, to be fair Kylo was injured and essentially one handed in that duel.  
There's being force sensitive and then there's performing force abilities. Someone who is athletic and strong still needs to train to wield a sword, shoot an arrow, throw a football, hit a baseball. People don't just wake up in their 20's and jump into the NBA and start dunking on people or draining 3's. They train. Some their whole lives to be as good as they can be in their prime. 

Plus if you always thought the force was a myth (writers words) how would you know how to use a Jedi mind trick on someone? How would you know how to reach out and grab an object and then bring it to you? All highly unbelievable stuff that left us all thinking Rey is someone really special. 

That's why Rian Johnson is a hack. He purposely wanted to dismantle all that was built in TFA just to subvert expectations without thinking of the larger whole. He was once quoted as saying a good movie has half the people loving it and half the people hating it. Well mission accomplished.

You cant compare using the force to NASCAR or NBA players.  Very different things.  Yes, you can train in the force but that doesn't mean you can do nothing with it until you are trained.  Jedi training to me was more of a guidance thing with particular emphasis on avoiding the Dark Side.  I think being super force sensitive just naturally makes you better at certain things.  And once Rey realized she was force sensitive things started to come naturally because for all we know, she's one of the most sensitive force users ever.  That's why she's the star of the movie.  I dont think any of this is a stretch in a fantasy space movie and I don't think Johnson did anything to contradict any of this. 

- Kylo taking a dead on shot from Chewie's crossbolt and it only being a wound.  Didn't we see shots from this thing completely blow away Stormtroopers earlier in the movie?

I thought this was a deliberate choice by the writers, that may not have worked once it came to the screen.

I think the writers progression was intended to be:

Demonstrate Cross bolt powerful on screen -> Significantly injure Kylo with cross bow -> injury then allows Finn to hang and for Rey to ultimately win.

They tried to highlight the injury during the fights as Kylo kept favoring that side and also being bothered by it but it did not come across strong enough on screen.

Personally I think JJ the writer put JJ the director in a no win spot.   Have Kylo be too injured and Rey's win is much less significant.  Have Kylo not injured enough and Rey's win looks too easy given her skills.

You cant compare using the force to NASCAR or NBA players.  Very different things.  Yes, you can train in the force but that doesn't mean you can do nothing with it until you are trained.  Jedi training to me was more of a guidance thing with particular emphasis on avoiding the Dark Side.  I think being super force sensitive just naturally makes you better at certain things.  And once Rey realized she was force sensitive things started to come naturally because for all we know, she's one of the most sensitive force users ever.  That's why she's the star of the movie.  I dont think any of this is a stretch in a fantasy space movie and I don't think Johnson did anything to contradict any of this. 
I disagree.

Here are some things I do think went bad with the TFA and TLJ

- Finn lasting more than 1 second in a lightsaber duel with Kylo.  I know Kylo was injured and one handed, but still. 

- Luke's lightsaber conveniently sitting in a box in the basement of that bar.  

- After Han died and the heroes return to the rebel base, Chewie walks right past Leia without any sort of acknowledgement or consoling.  Leia should've hugged Chewie there instead of Rey.  

- Holdo was a useless character to me.  Just replace her with Ackbar and suddenly his sacrafice has a lot more of an impact.  

- Leia Poppins

- Hux is a bit too much of a caricature for me.  
Awful character.  Almost as bad as Rose

Mandalorian does look pretty sweet. The trailer felt like the Star Wars universe. I'll be checking it out

IIRC, there is an early scene where they are traveling to Alderaan on the Millenium Falcon and Luke has a model fighter in his hand that he is flying around that is a tri-wing design, which is a model of the T-16 he used to bullseye womp rats in back home. :nerd:
That actually takes place at the Lars Homestead, after Owen and Luke buy the droids.  

How about its own thread?  Since it releases weekly instead of all at once I think it could support that.
It's like i was joking in the other thread - we have the Disney+ thread, this thread, the Boba Fett movie thread.  WTF are we actually supposed to be talking about these damn shows and movies? 

I won't put this is the E9 thread. Don't want to rain on people's parades there. 

Original Episode 9 Director had no plans for Palpatine

I guess after Rian Johnson killed Snoke, Colin Trevorrows script didn't work any more and he didn't want to play ball with Kathleen Kennedy. So now we get JJ and his nostalgia bait last second save with Palpatine. 

Yea this movie is going to be great.

I won't put this is the E9 thread. Don't want to rain on people's parades there. 

Original Episode 9 Director had no plans for Palpatine

I guess after Rian Johnson killed Snoke, Colin Trevorrows script didn't work any more and he didn't want to play ball with Kathleen Kennedy. So now we get JJ and his nostalgia bait last second save with Palpatine. 

Yea this movie is going to be great.
Like I have said before, one of the things that has surprised me the most is the lack of direction and an consistent vision for these movies after backing up a butt ton of money to get the rights to the franchise.  I guess they figured WTF - put "Star Wars" on anything and it will make a truckload of money. 

Like I have said before, one of the things that has surprised me the most is the lack of direction and an consistent vision for these movies after backing up a butt ton of money to get the rights to the franchise.  I guess they figured WTF - put "Star Wars" on anything and it will make a truckload of money. 
They're not wrong about that. But they could have made even more for years to come if they had any kind of plan on how to go about this. I don't think just having the Star Wars name will have people lining up any more.

They're not wrong about that. But they could have made even more for years to come if they had any kind of plan on how to go about this. I don't think just having the Star Wars name will have people lining up any more.
yea people are really shying away from new star wars stuff such as the Mandalorian 

yea people are really shying away from new star wars stuff such as the Mandalorian 
Word of mouth and "baby Yoda" are getting people to watch and the quality of the show is keeping them coming back. 

Imagine that. Good writing and respect for the source material gets people to like the product. Who could have guessed.

Word of mouth and "baby Yoda" are getting people to watch and the quality of the show is keeping them coming back. 

Imagine that. Good writing and respect for the source material gets people to like the product. Who could have guessed.
I dunno man, seems like most people enjoyed episode 7, rogue one, solo and the Mandalorian. Even if ep 8 was a miss (it wasn’t) that’s a pretty decent hit rate. 

I dunno man, seems like most people enjoyed episode 7, rogue one, solo and the Mandalorian. Even if ep 8 was a miss (it wasn’t) that’s a pretty decent hit rate. 
I liked Rogue one. I liked E7 at the time but E8 pretty much ruined anything it set up. Solo sucked and most people agree. Mandalorian is good so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread