What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Voter Suppression (1 Viewer)

Thanks Roc.  The lines are a problem, I wish they could be solved and not sure why they can't because honestly wouldn't need all these other remedies.

In my perfect world there are no lines and everyone votes in person with some form of ID. 
Same here. I see no problem with ID requirements. But they're going further than that. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31142075/mlbpa-chief-open-talk-mlb-moving-all-star-game-georgia-following-new-voting-laws

Good for MLBPA.  I hope they follow through and make Kemp look ridiculous.  It would be interesting to see what would happen - baseball is a big deal in metro Atlanta and would draw attention to what a ####ed up thing Kemp and the GOP did.
What we really need is a Red state league and a Blue state league.  Countries next stop.

Too bad requiring an ID for mail in voting isn’t the only thing in the new law. As I posted earlier in the thread the ID part is the only thing in new law that is related to election security, everything else is trying to make it harder for people to exercise their right to vote (ie voter suppression)
The answer to long lines and wait is not providing food, it is opening more voting facilities which is the discretion of county officials (Democrats).  Much of the wait was due to malfunctioning machines during the early voting process, which is also an issue which needs to be fixed.  Providing food to people in line can be a vehicle to try to influence voters.

Yes. And without the tongue-in-cheek, I'd say it's explicitly there to thwart democratic impulses and procedures. And that it is an existential threat to some degree, though it's not the final one. That we're even having this discussion in this day and age tells me that something is already wrong with democracy as we understand it. No food or water for hour-long waits? That's bull####.
I thought specifically the law allowed food and water to be provided by the polling officials.  For example, for the good citizens looking to provide food and drink they can provide it to the polling officials to make it accessible to everyone.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31142075/mlbpa-chief-open-talk-mlb-moving-all-star-game-georgia-following-new-voting-laws

Good for MLBPA.  I hope they follow through and make Kemp look ridiculous.  It would be interesting to see what would happen - baseball is a big deal in metro Atlanta and would draw attention to what a ####ed up thing Kemp and the GOP did.
MLBPA shouldn't do this. This is like those idiot rock stars that boycott Israel or when the NBA threatened North Carolina over their transgender laws. I loathe this type of stuff. Forget the political stances, you're not there but for the property rights protected for you by those very governments because of natural right. And baseball has an antitrust exemption, to boot, when it's clearly a monopolistic practice.

All of it is so much sanctimonious grandstanding that it's pure bull####.

MLBPA shouldn't do this. This is like those idiot rock stars that boycott Israel or when the NBA threatened North Carolina over their transgender laws. I loathe this type of stuff. Forget the political stances, you're not there but for the property rights protected for you by those very governments because of natural right. And baseball has an antitrust exemption, to boot, when it's clearly a monopolistic practice.

Totally disagree - what’s bull#### is what Kemp and the GOP did.  I hope they move it.

I thought specifically the law allowed food and water to be provided by the polling officials.  For example, for the good citizens looking to provide food and drink they can provide it to the polling officials to make it accessible to everyone.
It does, but at the expense and whim of whom? Do you really think that they're going to bring or have water for everybody in line? I doubt it. It's a pretty stupid provision.

And most people when talking about Georgia and disgusting are not talking about voter ID. It is the limiting voting on Sunday and making it a crime to hand out food and water to people who have to wait in long lines - long lines that are created by republican measures to make voting harder.
As they should be.

It does, but at the expense and whim of whom? Do you really think that they're going to bring or have water for everybody in line? I doubt it. It's a pretty stupid provision.
I truly havent spend time research the law so their may be simple answers to this.  So if there is not enough water for everyone...who decides who gets water?

Disagree

I hope every major business leaves Georgia.

I truly havent spend time research the law so their may be simple answers to this.  So if there is not enough water for everyone...who decides who gets water?
The provision simply states that the poll workers are not prohibited form bringing water to hand out, which is a lot different than an affirmative duty to provide it.

It's really simple. No water or food in long lines, or they wouldn't prevent outsiders from giving it out. Is it to prevent electioneering? Maybe, but I doubt it. Seems like a not too narrowly-tailored provision in that regard.

I'm rarely in agreement with the moops, but this is a large part of why people are disgusted with Georgia. Handing out food and water to allow access because of long lines that the GOP-led voting laws have led to seems like a feather in a crook's cap. Wanna slap that thing right out of there. Never mind the mandatory closing on Sundays garbage, either. Chik-fil-A in the Georgia Dome, fine. That's a private entity making a private decision. When it comes to the government and voting, that is not fine.
I am not sure blaming GOP laws for long lines is accurate.  I believe the number of polling locations are set by the county which in the case of the Atlanta area would certainly have heavy Democratic representation.  Also voting machine malfunctions would also be an item I don't think has anything to do with GOP laws.  A extraodinary large number of people showed up for the first day of early voting opened up and then in top of that the machines had issues.   There was plenty of window to vote, but other circumstances arose that had zero to do with any GOP law.  

Why is there the need/want for everyone to vote in person? We have been voting by mail since the Civil War. Our previous president voted by mail. Hundreds of thousands of military personel vote by mail. 
There isn't a need and I wouldn't do away with it, that was my perfect world.  I'd likely support going digital. 

For me there is a "sacred-ness" to voting.  I think investing the time to go to a polling station seems like a pretty reasonable thing to expect (when it is not a 3hr line).  I'm not religious, but same reason why you can't do Sunday mass in your kitchen.  Thats my heart talking...not my brain.

In general, I don't trust our politicians and politics.  I think the idea of people getting mailed voting ballots and being co-erced or paid to vote a certain way is concerning (although I don't think statistically significant today).  Same reason I don't want anybody going near voters when they are at a polling station.

The provision simply states that the poll workers are not prohibited form bringing water to hand out, which is a lot different than an affirmative duty to provide it.

It's really simple. No water or food in long lines, or they wouldn't prevent outsiders from giving it out. Is it to prevent electioneering? Maybe, but I doubt it. Seems like a not too narrowly-tailored provision in that regard.
I just went through 6 months of being bombarded with disgusting, deceitful political ads.  The idea that that doesn't trickle into the water and food distribution is completely dubious...it's like we completely forgot about what politics is in America after just experiencing it.  

I'd be good with the official polling officials handing out water...would have been smart to include

Last edited by a moderator:
To me this is potentially the worst part of the new GA voting laws:

The new law allows the State Board of Elections to determine that these county boards are performing poorly, replacing the entire board with an administrator chosen at the state level.

What I find funny is the GOP partisans in here constantly talk about Democrats not being able to handle losing but you see what the GOP does when they lose the POTUS and senate seats.  Instead of realizing it’s about Trump and how horrible he was they double down and decide to cheat.  Cowards.

Pandering to PC politics and partisan politics should not be part of professional sports. 

In my perfect world there are no lines and everyone votes in person with some form of ID. 
Your proposal would either deny voting rights to the military, or create a bureaucratic flustermuck where the military would be required to set up thousands of specific polling stations for each individual service member which accurately catered to every single voting rule in their particular state, county, and city, thus temporarily weakening our military readiness and making our country more vulnerable to attack from our enemies.

But other than that, it's a great idea.

Why is there the need/want for everyone to vote in person? We have been voting by mail since the Civil War. Our previous president voted by mail. Hundreds of thousands of military personel vote by mail. 
They still can.  I don't think the fraud is there.

Think that would still be a felony, since you're offering it to them.   Maybe if you walked backward and never made eye contact.   Could also deliver by drone or remote control vehicle, I think.
What about tubs of water set out to define the line?

You seem to inject race and the left into every one of your posts.

And most people when talking about Georgia and disgusting are not talking about voter ID. It is the limiting voting on Sunday and making it a crime to hand out food and water to people who have to wait in long lines - long lines that are created by republican measures to make voting harder.
Dude....its pure coincidence that these laws impact certain groups more than others. Just like the red lining stuff.....its just a bad beat. :shrug:

I'm rarely in agreement with the moops, but this is a large part of why people are disgusted with Georgia. Handing out food and water to allow access because of long lines that the GOP-led voting laws have led to seems like a feather in a crook's cap. Wanna slap that thing right out of there. Never mind the mandatory closing on Sundays garbage, either. Chik-fil-A in the Georgia Dome, fine. That's a private entity making a private decision. When it comes to the government and voting, that is not fine.
:goodposting:

Sea Duck said:
Your proposal would either deny voting rights to the military, or create a bureaucratic flustermuck where the military would be required to set up thousands of specific polling stations for each individual service member which accurately catered to every single voting rule in their particular state, county, and city, thus temporarily weakening our military readiness and making our country more vulnerable to attack from our enemies.

But other than that, it's a great idea.
lol you probably missed this part of what I wrote (and the rest too) including voting digitally.

djmich said:
There isn't a need and I wouldn't do away with it, that was my perfect world.  I'd likely support going digital.

jon_mx said:
The answer to long lines and wait is not providing food, it is opening more voting facilities which is the discretion of county officials (Democrats).  Much of the wait was due to malfunctioning machines during the early voting process, which is also an issue which needs to be fixed.  Providing food to people in line can be a vehicle to try to influence voters.
Another way to help reduce long lines is to extend early voting periods, this law however goes in the opposite direction and reduces the early voting by up to as much as 3 weeks.

This law also makes dropping off the mail in ballots more difficult by saying that they must be inside the early voting places and they reduce the number of days that they can be dropped off (by 4 or 5 days).

Making people who are simply trying to drop off their mail in votes go into the polling places adds to the lines in said polling places.

Sea Duck said:
These two posts do not compute.
They do for me, can you explain how they don't and I'd be able to better respond.
You say that you don't trust politicians, but that you DO trust polling officials. But most of those polling officials are either regulated by politicians or they are politicians themselves.

Another way to help reduce long lines is to extend early voting periods, this law however goes in the opposite direction and reduces the early voting by up to as much as 3 weeks.

This law also makes dropping off the mail in ballots more difficult by saying that they must be inside the early voting places and they reduce the number of days that they can be dropped off (by 4 or 5 days).

Making people who are simply trying to drop off their mail in votes go into the polling places adds to the lines in said polling places.
Yah not a fan of reducing the early voting periods (although I personally don't like them more than a month in advance).

Same on distinguishing where mail in ballots can be dropped...seems a nuisance to narrow where.

Why cant we vote in person over two day period?

You say that you don't trust politicians, but that you DO trust polling officials. But most of those polling officials are either regulated by politicians or they are politicians themselves.
Eh.

I'm not one of these guys running around saying that elections are rigged and that our voting process is corrupted or not secure...or whatever.

I generally trust that polling officials can provide access to water at least as effectively as they can provide access to the ballots.

I generally don't trust people not associated with the official polling process...and likely heavily biased if not outright funded by policital organizations interacting with voters on line.  That is odious to me.

Hopefully if you don't agree you can at least see the difference.

The law mandate that all counties have the same early voting dates and times: three weeks of Monday-through-Friday voting, one mandatory Saturday and then one additional Saturday or Sunday during the first weekend.  Three weeks is more than enough time to vote.  The bill also require counties to add more staff, equipment or polling places in large precincts with long voter lines.  

The law is to make voting more uniform and make voting more efficient and increase confidence.

BladeRunner said:
Oh my gosh.  Insults?

Do you realize what forum you're in?  You're in the form where you're called a racist, sexist, homophobe simply because you don't vote Democrat.

If you're going to get all fake outraged at insults then maybe you should clean up your own house first.
No outrage - none whatsoever - his replies are not worth the effort.

The law mandate that all counties have the same early voting dates and times: three weeks of Monday-through-Friday voting, one mandatory Saturday and then one additional Saturday or Sunday during the first weekend.  Three weeks is more than enough time to vote.  The bill also require counties to add more staff, equipment or polling places in large precincts with long voter lines.  

The law is to make voting more uniform and make voting more efficient and increase confidence.
I'm assuming this isn't true, otherwise would have been part of the discussion the past few pages as it would directly address what seems to be the number one issue, long voting lines in certain precincts.

AAABatteries said:
Of course you’re against it jon - it’s folks like you that made the GOP untenable for folks like me.  Have fun.
And to me your holier than thou attitude and belittlement is everything wrong with politics.  The left has become far worse than the moral majority back in the 80's.  They became exactly what they professed to hate.  The argument that three weeks for early voting is somehow voter suppression is pathetically weak.  

I'm assuming this isn't true, otherwise would have been part of the discussion the past few pages as it would directly address what seems to be the number one issue, long voting lines in certain precincts.
Most of that was almost verbatim pulled out of this NPR article including what you bolded.  

Most of that was almost verbatim pulled out of this NPR article including what you bolded.  
The new thing on Twitter is to complain that NPR and the New York Times are giving this a "both sides" treatment and are being unfairly critical of Democratic criticisms about the bill, if you want the new spin on things from the Democrats. That NPR and NYT are conservative-friendly is a lark and best met with howls of amused laughter. That said, still hate the bill. Still think it restricts access to the ballot box.

In addition, there will be as little as one week of early voting before runoffs, down from the current three-week early voting period. The bill calls for runoffs to be held four weeks after general elections, leaving little time for early voting.
https://www.ajc.com/politics/bill-changing-georgia-voting-rules-passes-state-house/EY2MATS6SRA77HTOBVEMTJLIT4/

"Hey.....these dems are offering evian. Thats who i'm voting for!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah, they wanna burn the country to the ground but at least i get my water !!!!!"

Amused to Death said:
To me this is potentially the worst part of the new GA voting laws:

The new law allows the State Board of Elections to determine that these county boards are performing poorly, replacing the entire board with an administrator chosen at the state level.
Yes...making it so the Republican led state congress can then choose such an administrator of elections.

But yes...lets claim its all about ids and that its Democrats fault there are long lines (accusations made again without factual basis).

If we want to spread confidence, how about we shout down and call out those saying it wss stolen or unfair?  The ones flat out lying to the minions. 

Users who are viewing this thread