What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (3 Viewers)

He’s still a rookie tight end. People were getting a little ahead of themselves. Asked about him in one of my leagues cause Henry went down for me. Price the guy wanted was three 2020 1sts. 
I was in a similar spot... lost henry, relatively premium TE league, but I asked and was told he was untouchable, to test it, I offered Odell and was still turned down.  Couldn't believe it.

I was in a similar spot... lost henry, relatively premium TE league, but I asked and was told he was untouchable, to test it, I offered Odell and was still turned down.  Couldn't believe it.
As much as I dont like Odell I'd probably take that and then flip him for 2 firsts lol

Someone in one of my dynasty leagues inquired, I told him it would take Watson. To be fair, I dont like anyone else on his roster aside from tepid interest in buying Henderson at his price (this owner has Henderson set at preseason value)

The message was, I really like this guy and drafted him for a reason. Itll take a huge offer to pry him away 

Oh wow! So he was basically saying he’s untouchable!?!?!?

Tex
for me he's untouchable unless someone wants to pay for his ceiling

Sooooooo I'm thinking about starting him this week in an FBG flex (TE 1.5 PPR). I have a couple other safer options but I like his upside. IDK. I didn't really have big expectations for him but then week 1 blew that away. Until week 2. I probably won't start him, though, if he really is capable of being kept out of the gameplan like that again. My other safe options have bad matchups but they're going to get touches for sure. 

T.J. Hockenson caught 1-of-4 targets for a single yard in Detroit's Week 3 win over the Eagles.

Much like last week, Hockenson was boringly used in the flats rather than being featured over the middle of the field. Even though he could've logged a touchdown that was ripped from his belly before his feet touched the ground, the fact of the matter is his performance against the Cardinals in Week 1 (6/131/1) is continuing to look more matchup-induced than anything. After catching one pass in back-to-back weeks, he'll strictly be a matchups-based streamer and flier moving forward.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:20 PM ET

Cutting him.  Just bought into the first round draft pick being an unguardable TE like Kelce, Ertz, Kittle.  Scooped up on waivers after week 1 in a non-TE mandatory league.  Hated that I saw other TEs on the field and he's always down in a stance.  Time to move on.  

Caught a TD pass yesterday that was chalked off because the defender had pushed him and caused a foot to go out of bounds. Was very tight. He’s still a big red zone target. 

Seriously considering dropping him in a noPPR redraft.  He's just dead weight as a back-up TE that I'll never play when I need the flexibility elsewhere.  The plan was draft him in the last round, have him have a few good weeks (he IS a beast and a talent), then trade him.  However, it is the Lions we are talking about, not know for using talent.   Am I crazy or just infatuated?  Drop him now or wait until they play the Chiefs next week to see if he does something in a shootout??  Ahhhhhhhhh

Caught a TD pass yesterday that was chalked off because the defender had pushed him and caused a foot to go out of bounds. Was very tight. He’s still a big red zone target. 
and had an endzone target that he should have (or at least could have caught).

i think it's an overreaction to cut him, though I guess I can understand for people who are 1-2 or 0-3.

Me too.  Dynasty.  Henry in my IR spot and Reed likely to never see the field again.  Not much on the wire....and Hock has goose egged me twice, back to back.  He can't do it a third time, can he?
I think, given Matty Patty, that he can. It depends on the match-up. I also think he could drop 20 on KC, who lead the league with 13 targets per game from the TE spot, if Yahoo is to be believed. 

This has me considering him in multiple leagues.

I think, given Matty Patty, that he can. It depends on the match-up. I also think he could drop 20 on KC, who lead the league with 13 targets per game from the TE spot, if Yahoo is to be believed. 

This has me considering him in multiple leagues.
Careful. He's got a total of seven targets for less than ten yards the past two games.  And that per game total is off by just a bit. I think it's more like eleven per game, though they may not be listing players. I've also read thirteen. 

Careful. He's got a total of seven targets for less than ten yards the past two games.  And that per game total is off by just a bit. I think it's more like eleven per game, though they may not be listing players. I've also read thirteen. 
Haven’t seen a lot of him, but I did watch him have a td called back last week for penalty and had another td miss that wasn’t the easiest catch in the world but he should have caught it

Haven’t seen a lot of him, but I did watch him have a td called back last week for penalty and had another td miss that wasn’t the easiest catch in the world but he should have caught it
I missed this week's game for the most part. I've watched the first two. The first one was delightful, the second...not so much.

To test it? What if he accepted?
I didn't offer it on the site, I wanted to see where the dialogue went.  Now, I was pretty enamored of Hock and I had some wide receiver depth, so I don't know if I would have done anything stupid.  But I don't know you get a window where people fall in love with a guy, its best not to fall in love with our own guys

I didn't offer it on the site, I wanted to see where the dialogue went.  Now, I was pretty enamored of Hock and I had some wide receiver depth, so I don't know if I would have done anything stupid.  But I don't know you get a window where people fall in love with a guy, its best not to fall in love with our own guys
Maybe I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you either verbally or in text offered a league-mate OBJ for Hock but if he would have said “yes” you would have said “just kidding I was only testing you?” That doesn’t seem like a cool way to operate.

Now if you would have really went through with it and he just said “no” that’s something altogether different and he probably saved you from yourself. Not that it would be the worst trade ever in TE Premium but I just think you’d be getting killed from a value perspective - could turn out to be ok though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I’m misunderstanding but are you saying you either verbally or in text offered a league-mate OBJ for Hock but if he would have said “yes” you would have said “just kidding I was only testing you?” That doesn’t seem like a cool way to operate.

Now if you would have really went through with it and he just said “no” that’s something altogether different and he probably saved you from yourself. Not that it would be the worst trade ever in TE Premium but I just think you’d be getting killed from a value perspective - could turn out to be ok though.
It was a text phrased about about "What about Odell" and there was no further exchange.  Now if it came to it, I'd probably look for a bit more equity as a 2 for 2 with TE/WR swapped.  I didn't get that far.  There was no response to my text :shrug:

Thinking about offering Hock for Brieda (redraft, noPPR).  I have Mostert.  Hock is just wasting space on my roster as I have Kelce.  Other guy has Vance Mcdonald & Vernon Davis.  Dunno, just trying to think of to get some value out of him.  TEs are not really in demand and he certainly doesn't have much trade value right now.

Matty is doing his best to turn the lions into the poor man's Pats,  purposefully obscuring who is getting what when and telling us and the opposition nothing. Hock is an obvious talent,  but good luck guessing which games he will be turned loose.

I can't begin to guess what Bevell/Matty Patty's plans are but if it were me, I'd do everything in my power to play ball control offense to shorten the game. The Lion's rushing attack hasn't been real effective so I'd look for a lot of short dink and dunk stuff to RBs and yes the TEs including the Hockness monster. Long drives, slow death marches.

I wouldn't play him over the top 6 or so but I'd have confidence in him this week otherwise.

News that could influence your decision to start Hockenson this week:

Matthew Stafford (hip) is active for Week 4 against the Chiefs.

Stafford will make his 132nd consecutive start for Detroit, though he'll be doing so at far less than 100 percent. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, this is "probably the closest he's been to not playing" while noting that Stafford's hip pain worsened throughout the week. There's a lot to like about Stafford's Week 4 matchup—he's playing at home against an attackable secondary in a game that should feature negative game script (aka more passing). However, Stafford's balky hip could limit his effectiveness.

SOURCE: Detroit Lions on Twitter

Sep 29, 2019, 12:11 PM ET

Danny Amendola (chest) is out for Week 4 against the Chiefs.

Amendola resumed practicing late in the week, but the Lions didn't feel it was enough to prepare him for Sunday's home matchup with Kansas City. His absence leaves Detroit in somewhat of a bind as Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones are both primarily outside receivers. Tight end T.J. Hockenson could be a candidate for increased slot usage with Amendola sitting this one out.

SOURCE: Detroit Lions on Twitter

Sep 29, 2019, 12:12 PM ET

Serious head to carpet fall after an ill advised leap attempt over defenders. He's at least sitting up, did get up but being carted off.

ETA: Officially a concussion out for the game

This fad of leaping defenders, it's sort of silly. Reward is not worth the risk. You already have the first, just get down.

Hope he's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread