What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (2 Viewers)

Pride of Detroit @PrideofDetroit

T.J. Hockenson’s 131 yards was not only the most for a rookie TE’s debut, but it was 12th all-time for ANY rookie TE performance. 

Just barely behind... Charlie Sanders, who has 133 in a single game. 

It was the second-best rookie TE performance since 1995.

Pride of Detroit‏Verified account @PrideOfDetroit

T.J. Hockenson currently ranks among TEs: - 1st in receiving yards (131) - 1st in 20+ yard plays (4) - 3rd in yards per catch (21.8) - 5th in receptions (6) I'd say this was an okay debut for him.

6:20 AM - 9 Sep 2019

----------------------------------

📽️  T.J. Hockenson very first NFL run blocking snap

----------------------------------

Scott Barrett‏ @ScottBarrettDFB

Notable tight end snap shares. The following tight ends ran a route on x% of their QB's dropbacks: - Greg Olsen (93%) - Evan Engram (82%) - Hunter Henry (82%)

- T.J. Hockenson (73%)

- Delanie Walker (66%) - Vance McDonald (65%) - Mark Andrews (64%) - O.J. Howard (55%)

3:35 PM - 9 Sep 2019

-----------------------------------

PFF DET Lions‏ @PFF_Lions 20h20 hours ago

The @PFF grades from Week 1 are live! Here are the highest graded #Lions on offense: 1. TE T.J. Hockenson- 83.0 T-2. G Joe Dahl- 70.4 T-2. WR Danny Amendola- 70.4 4. WR Marvin Jones Jr.- 67.2 5. G Graham Glasgow- 64.9

-----------------------------------

Michael David Smith‏Verified account @MichaelDavSmith

T.J. Hockenson's career high at Iowa: 125 receiving yards.

T.J. Hockenson today in his first NFL game: 131 receiving yards.

6:16 PM - 8 Sep 2019

Grading all 32 first-round picks after Week 1 of the 2019 NFL season

Excerpt:

PICK NO. 8: TE T.J. HOCKENSON, DETROIT LIONS

2019 overall grade: 83.0

It definitely wasn’t the result the team wanted, but aside from that, Hockenson should be very happy about his first regular-season game. He caught all six of his catchable targets in Week 1 against the Cardinals and churned out 131 receiving yards, 50 yards after the catch, four first-down conversions and one touchdown. Since 2006, when PFF started grading games, there have been 189 instances where a rookie tight end has run at least 25 routes in a single-game; among those, Hockenson’s 131 receiving yards in this one ranks first, while his average of 3.54 yards per route run ranks fourth.

In my 10 team, 5 keeper league, I traded away Matt Breida and my 2020 1st round pick for Hock. Rolling with Hock and Kittle now! Give me all the Hawkeye TEs!

Breida cannot sustain a heavy workload. As soon as the deal was completed, I picked up Mostert for free. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Which way does the "no" go?

Are TY or Calvin too much or too little for THE HOCK? 
As an owner of Hockenson almost everywhere, I would not trade him for either of those guys. I will gladly admit I have him way over valued. But that's my right  :P

It would take a LOT to pry him away from me

ETA: I was verbally offered Henderson (I like him but am very concerned... not really looking to buy unless it's at a discount), Robby Anderson (yuck), and a low 2020 1st for Davis and Hock. Easily shot it down. 

Way too much
Thought so. I'm getting offers that are much lower in both leagues I roster him. I also roster Waller in one and can run trade analysis by FBG League Dominator (Subscribe. Buy it.). 

I think Calvin Ridley is actually about right, though. TY is too much. Brissett ain't that bad and Sanu is healthy this year and will cut into Ridley's targets. But that's my world.

Actually, an FBG analysis only has me gaining 1 FF point total for Ridley. My opponent would lose. It's a break-even/lose trade given roster composition. It's likely a bad trade, all things considered. 

eta* And I won't do that again. Not fair to the parent company. It's also particularized and roster-dependent. Subscribe to the service. It's worth it.

run trade analysis by FBG League Dominator (Subscribe. Buy it.).
My only issue with it is that you cant include draft picks. FBG is very redraft centered (Draft dominator, lineup dominator) which is frustrating when it seems redraft is the minority these days to dynasty, DFS, etc 

My only issue with it is that you cant include draft picks. FBG is very redraft centered (Draft dominator, lineup dominator) which is frustrating when it seems redraft is the minority these days to dynasty, DFS, etc 
I can certainly see your point. I'm straight redraft though I'm still looking for a serious, free (I don't play for money) dynasty league. Mr. Peterson pointed me in the direction of a site and I think I may pay the fees associated, thinking of it not as a gambling cost, but as an administrative one (nothing against gambling, just another vice I don't need.)

Anyway, long story short is that your point is taken. I wouldn't even know how to begin to value picks. I'd imagine a good dynasty feel takes years to come by and until then you need to fake it or try to circumvent experience through reasearch by procuring at least a subscription to a dynasty-oriented site.

As an owner of Hockenson almost everywhere, I would not trade him for either of those guys. I will gladly admit I have him way over valued. But that's my right  :P

It would take a LOT to pry him away from me

ETA: I was verbally offered Henderson (I like him but am very concerned... not really looking to buy unless it's at a discount), Robby Anderson (yuck), and a low 2020 1st for Davis and Hock. Easily shot it down. 
That's pretty much 2 late 2020 1sts?

I think I would have to do that one. Pretty tough to sell after that impressive first game as a rookie TE though... 

The problem with being the next Gronk is you're too good at blocking to run as many pass routes as you'd like to see.  The Evan Engram TEs seem to be better in fantasy and worse in football than the OJ Howard TEs.. 

I have very little if any interest in Ridley. I'm somewhat on an island on that one but I just don't see all the love with him. Hilton is not going to sway me from moving Hockenson. The snapshot in time that a trade evaluator tool gives you can be useful, but it is *only* one snapshot in time based on the analysis of whoever assigned the values. These tools don't give any credit whatsoever to trends in value and/or how they might change after say one year or even a few games.

As always we should be striving to aim the throw where the receiver is going to be, not where they are at the moment. I love me Hilton but am not making moves for him. Ridley might get there but as long as Julio plays I am not targeting him either. 

I'd keep Hock and it's not close.

Guess I misunderstood the direction of the proposed offer. If I could give Ridley for Hock I would run to make that deal.

Although I said I wouldn't be making deals for Hilton, it would be hard for me to move him if I already had him. For Hock? I might do that. But I might try to add a 1st or 2nd to his side.

That's pretty much 2 late 2020 1sts?

I think I would have to do that one. Pretty tough to sell after that impressive first game as a rookie TE though... 

The problem with being the next Gronk is you're too good at blocking to run as many pass routes as you'd like to see.  The Evan Engram TEs seem to be better in fantasy and worse in football than the OJ Howard TEs.. 
If I was offered two 2020 1sts for Hockenson I'd do it, sure, but probably not the equivalent of that in players... especially a player I dont believe in at all (Robby Anderson) or a RB I'm falling out of love with (Henderson, who I would only give a 2nd for today)

I have very little if any interest in Ridley. I'm somewhat on an island on that one but I just don't see all the love with him. Hilton is not going to sway me from moving Hockenson. The snapshot in time that a trade evaluator tool gives you can be useful, but it is *only* one snapshot in time based on the analysis of whoever assigned the values. These tools don't give any credit whatsoever to trends in value and/or how they might change after say one year or even a few games.

As always we should be striving to aim the throw where the receiver is going to be, not where they are at the moment. I love me Hilton but am not making moves for him. Ridley might get there but as long as Julio plays I am not targeting him either. 

I'd keep Hock and it's not close.
I totally agree with your "point in time" argument. The point is to beat the prognostication by weeks in redraft, months and years for dynasty.

I also totally agree with your "snapshot" point.

I totally take your valuations as something personal. I'm thinking Hock is pretty valuable, too. I'm not sure the Hock/Ridley deal is one I'd do as a Hock GM, not sure about Hilton/Hock as a Hock GM. With Waller also rostered, I'd be tempted on the Hilton front given Brissett/Hilton last week. But it'd take a lot to hock THE HOCK. 

Im so tempted to offer TY or Ridley for him. Dude has him and Waller and Im stuck with Njoku.
For dynasty I am not sure if you could get Gronkenson for Hilton right now.

He looks very good. One of the best things the Lions have going on offense now.

For redraft you need to be wary of rookie TE usually not putting up very good numbers.

Hockenson does not seem like a usual TE based on his first performance though.

I can certainly see your point. I'm straight redraft though I'm still looking for a serious, free (I don't play for money) dynasty league. Mr. Peterson pointed me in the direction of a site and I think I may pay the fees associated, thinking of it not as a gambling cost, but as an administrative one (nothing against gambling, just another vice I don't need.)

Anyway, long story short is that your point is taken. I wouldn't even know how to begin to value picks. I'd imagine a good dynasty feel takes years to come by and until then you need to fake it or try to circumvent experience through reasearch by procuring at least a subscription to a dynasty-oriented site.
Zealots Field

You can play dynasty for free here. These leagues have been around almost two decades now. Sounds like what you may be looking for.

I think you have been around long enough that you wouldn't be at a disadvantage. Maybe you over estimate dynasty players? They put their pants on one leg at a time like anybody else.

The 4th dimensional aspects are something you could research for the rest of your life and still only be scratching the surface. So research is good. I do not think you need to subscribe to anything to be competitive.

Wow. Thanks a bunch to both you and Mr. Peterson for taking the time to address my personal desire to play dynasty and point me in the general direction. I think he pointed me to Zealots, too, though I'll have to check the PM he sent. I had looked into one site and followed up with a query about any leagues he personally knew about and he said he'd look into it. Anwyay, I really appreciate what you just did, Biabreakable. 

Wow. Thanks a bunch to both you and Mr. Peterson for taking the time to address my personal desire to play dynasty and point me in the general direction. I think he pointed me to Zealots, too, though I'll have to check the PM he sent. I had looked into one site and followed up with a query about any leagues he personally knew about it and he said he'd look into it. Anwyay, I really appreciate what you just did, Biabreakable. 
I dont play there anymore but I did for about 12 years or so. Oscar Knight is good people.

Maybe premature, but I see Hock as one of the top 5 tier one TE's you want starting every week.  The second tier is a huge dropoff.  

Here's what I'm faced with - would you play Hock this week at home vs Chargers in the flex or Alshon Jeffrey at Atl.  No PPR.  I want Hock, league partner wants Jeffrey.  I want to play Hock there every week or try to move him as we also have Kelce and if we don't play him in the flex, he just wastes away.

Here's what I'm faced with - would you play Hock this week at home vs Chargers in the flex or Alshon Jeffrey at Atl.  No PPR.  I want Hock, league partner wants Jeffrey.  I want to play Hock there every week or try to move him as we also have Kelce and if we don't play him in the flex, he just wastes away.
How many teams?

I am guessing 10 or 12 based on your starting options.

You can get more to trade Kelce than Hockenson if you are comfortable playing Hock at TE instead I would try that. You could get a lot better at RB or something with the right dance partner.

Sent an offer for him in my rebuild league (TE premium)

Curtis Samuel and a 1st

no reply other than reject, I sent it before the day Thursday game though.  

he set an NFL record in his first ever NFL game.

think of all the amazing TEs that have graced an nfl field.... he slapped em all.
See I was given some grief from our commish in a league for my high value. We could be looking at someone special. 

I mean, I know hes not supposed to be any good:

"rookie TEs dont do much"

"When's the last time Stafford produced a top TE"

I'll take all the grief for my value of Hockenson. IMO hes a generational TE

After the year would be a great time to compare Stafford and TE usage with and without Hock, an article entitled:

Post Hock, Ergo Propter Hock?

I'll exit stage left.

This guy's stock is insane.

Ok boys.......we gonna DROP IT LIKE ITS HOCK today.  :football:

Firing him up in 2/4 leagues.  This year, just as in the last 4-5 years I essentially drafted as though TE was a non existent position in our leagues.

I just don't like spending round 6 and earlier capital for tight ends.  Usually a streamer or someone comes forward in the early weeks to give you back end top 10 production, but it looks like (in redraft leagues)  HOCKENSON may be a similar type "out of the TE abyss" guy, except the difference is,  he has top 2-3 TE talent and upside.

I know the stock on this guy essentially exploded overnight, after last Sunday but we should get some solid insight today.

If its another one of those 8+ target days from Stafford, I'm ready to pencil this guy in as an automatic TOP 10 TE moving forward, "start him/never bench him and don't question it from now on" type of scenario and talents.

@rockaction - I'm digging the Beastie Boys flashback.   I also remember when "Paul's Boutique" came out, and many guys trashed it.   It took awhile for me to come around on it, but it really is a masterpiece of old-school rap.   BTW - "Car Thief" was my banger.

TZM

I really wish I had gone deeper for Hockenson.  I took Fant in most of my dynasty drafts.  Thinking I have 3 years for Fant to develop while Hockenson looks like a polished NFL TE.   Buyers remorse? maybe.

But good job to those that invested heavily.  I think it will pay off.   

I really wish I had gone deeper for Hockenson.  I took Fant in most of my dynasty drafts.  Thinking I have 3 years for Fant to develop while Hockenson looks like a polished NFL TE.   Buyers remorse? maybe.

But good job to those that invested heavily.  I think it will pay off.   

Fant is a stud in his own right. You will be happy with drafting him Denver is on the record of having huge plans for him and envision him as their own Kelce. 

Tex

He’s still a rookie tight end. People were getting a little ahead of themselves. Asked about him in one of my leagues cause Henry went down for me. Price the guy wanted was three 2020 1sts. 

He’s still a rookie tight end. People were getting a little ahead of themselves. Asked about him in one of my leagues cause Henry went down for me. Price the guy wanted was three 2020 1sts. 
Oh wow! So he was basically saying he’s untouchable!?!?!?

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread