What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE T.J. Hockenson, MIN (2 Viewers)

This fad of leaping defenders, it's sort of silly. Reward is not worth the risk. You already have the first, just get down.

Hope he's ok.
It's a legit concern for me going forward.  Smart players play smart.  Talented players play with athleticism.  Combine the 2 and you have a generational type of player.  It's a flag I'll be filing away that he is not a very "smart" player when it comes to going down.  McCaffrey comes to mind as the perfect example.  He's so good in what he does, and he doesn't take unnecessary hits.  As good as I think Hockenson is, he's now somewhat of an injury concern moving forward in my book.  

It's a legit concern for me going forward.  Smart players play smart.  Talented players play with athleticism.  Combine the 2 and you have a generational type of player.  It's a flag I'll be filing away that he is not a very "smart" player when it comes to going down.  McCaffrey comes to mind as the perfect example.  He's so good in what he does, and he doesn't take unnecessary hits.  As good as I think Hockenson is, he's now somewhat of an injury concern moving forward in my book.  
Maybe he'll learn from this and think twice before trying to hurdle people. Only time will tell but maybe that "knocked" some sense into him.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports T.J. Hockenson (shoulder, concussion) will avoid being placed on injured reserve.

Hockenson attempted to hurdle Chiefs defenders Tyrann Mathieu and Damien Wilson but ultimately ended up sideways and landed firmly on his shoulder and head. It's a good sign he'll forego being placed on injured reserve, but there's still no estimated timetable for his return. Jesse James and Logan Thomas will work as a committee in Hockenson's stead, which is clearly a downgrade from having the rookie's receiving expertise at Matthew Stafford's disposal.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 30, 2019, 12:27 PM ET

cloppbeast said:
This fad of leaping defenders, it's sort of silly. Reward is not worth the risk. You already have the first, just get down.

Hope he's ok.
....but....but....Sportscenter! I hope he's alright too.

Why so? He didn't even go to the hospital as a precautionary measure and they have a bye week regardless.

Prolly not. But what's out there? I'd imagine it's pretty slim pickings.
Owned in less than 50% according to ESPN (and available in my league) that I would consider.

Ebron - 49

Graham - 35

Doyle - 26

Knox - 4

Fant - 8

Goedert - 4

Zyphros said:
Meh...I don't think you can chalk that up to being smart or not smart on a solitary play. He's a young exuberant rookie trying to make a play in a huge game IMO. Nothing more to suggest at this point. Now if he doesn't learn from it and continues to be a little too rambunctious then well..

cloppbeast said:

Hope he's ok.
Better than having a defender blow your knees out 90º in the wrong direction. 

Zyphros said:
We should probably downgrade Saquon too.

You know with him jumping over players and now a high ankle sprain issue that's taking him out of commission for 4-8 weeks.

Going to drop him in the one league I had him. Some jabroni dropped Hooper before week 3 and I had top waiver so they saved me on te. 

GoBirds said:
Anyone know if he’s back this week?

montana_grizzly_bears said:
They play Monday night so no practice yesterday or today. Haven't seen or heard anything from the Detroit media either (I live in Detroit)
Less news and more read between the lines type stuff but  I read this a few days ago and Ican't recall if it was a concert or game but he was out and about and one of the Lions beat writers I followed suggested fact he was in that type of environment, bright and loud,  was a great sign as it related to his concussion recovery.  Again that's soft news at best but gave me hope and might you as well.

Less news and more read between the lines type stuff but  I read this a few days ago and Ican't recall if it was a concert or game but he was out and about and one of the Lions beat writers I followed suggested fact he was in that type of environment, bright and loud,  was a great sign as it related to his concussion recovery.  Again that's soft news at best but gave me hope and might you as well.
Did he hurt his shoulder as well or was it just the concussion? That would be good news on the concussion front at least.

Did he hurt his shoulder as well or was it just the concussion? That would be good news on the concussion front at least.
The team has repeatedly said his shoulder is fine. I wondered if it was really ok and I'd cite Hopkins playing with a torn up shoulder most of last year and none of us knowing about as a reason to doubt team's claims, but as you probably heard he remains in the concussion protocol but did practice today so that does seem good news so far on the shoulder.

Just to confirm, does back at practice mean cleared concussion protocol? Anyone?
No.  Fairly routine to gradually increase physical activity and monitor symptom response.  I’m guessing he was at practice and participated in walkthroughs and such.  But, not cleared.

T.J. Hockenson (concussion) was "full go" at Thursday's practice.

Hockenson has yet to officially clear the protocol, but Lions reporter Tim Twentyman hints it will happen shortly. Although he's been wildly inconsistent through his first four career games, Hockenson will be an upside TE2 for a potentially high-scoring game with the Packers.

SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Oct 10, 2019, 1:33 PM ET

Dave Birkett @davebirkett

A little T.J. Hockenson update from Matt Patricia: Hockenson is doing everything in practice. Still has one more day of doing that, then being re-checked by doctors before he's out of concussion protocol. Brain injuries are unpredictable, but Hockenson trending towards playing

Lions.com's Tim Twentyman confirms T.J. Hockenson (concussion) is "on pace to be cleared" for Monday night's game with the Packers.

Hockenson is practicing fully this week but still needs to clear the concussion protocol. Coming off the Lions' bye, it'd be a surprise if he wasn't cleared ahead of Monday's game. The Packers have only given up one touchdown to tight ends this year, but Hockenson is in the TE1 mix.

SOURCE: detroitlions.com

Oct 12, 2019, 11:23 AM ET

Does anyone have a clue when he will be cleared (if it’s this weekend)

Is this normally a Saturday thing? Sunday?

Im hoping it’s before the early games tomorrow obviously 

Does anyone have a clue when he will be cleared (if it’s this weekend)

Is this normally a Saturday thing? Sunday?

Im hoping it’s before the early games tomorrow obviously 
I read somewhere that he’s going to see doctors after practice today. Let me see if I can find it. I’d imagine it would be by today If he is. 

edit

Erik Schlitt

@erikschlitt

·

4h

T.J. Hockenson is meeting with Dr.s today to attempt to achieve clearance from concussion protocol. He will practice today.

he’s an editor for lionswire.com

link to his Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/erikschlitt?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any idea when the Lions will make the trip to Green Bay?  That's what I'm looking for right now, to see if he makes the trip and hoping to know that before noon Sunday kickoff. I know NE for example does not take players they don't plan on being active to road games and I'm going to take educated gamble that Patricia handles his business the same way, even on a short trip.  So hoping they leave before noon tomorrow and we can find out if Hockenson went with them as I believe that will give us the answer if he's going to be active or not.

I bet he makes the trip regardless.  

I'd bet everything I own that's not the case. They are not taking a player who can't pass concussion protocol on a trip so he can sit on the sideline.

It's not just a NE thing, when people were still holding out hope Barkey or Engram would play this week I knew it was false hope when I read that the team did not pack travel bags for them.  They are not taking a guy with concussion symptoms on a trip so he can sit on the sideline.

T.J. Hockenson (concussion) is officially questionable for Week 6 against the Packers.

Hockenson was a full participant at Saturday's practice and Lion.com's Tim Twentyman reported Hockenson was "on pace to be cleared" for Monday Night Football. The rookie tight end looks like he'll be activated in time, but it's not a guarantee, making him a risky start this week. Hockenson is on the TE1/2 borderline when he's healthy.

SOURCE: DetroitLions.com

Oct 12, 2019, 4:13 PM ET

Someone just dropped TJ. Should I drop Dionte for him?

the only reason I ask is that TJ has not done much since week 1.

Someone just dropped TJ. Should I drop Dionte for him?

the only reason I ask is that TJ has not done much since week 1.
TJ hasn't done much since that record breaking week 1, but he's still a rookie at a position in which it takes time to adjust to the NFL. That said, the sky is the limit for this kid, and the Lions drafted him at #8 overall thinking the same thing. It may just be some ups and downs this year as he gets up to speed.

TJ hasn't done much since that record breaking week 1, but he's still a rookie at a position in which it takes time to adjust to the NFL. That said, the sky is the limit for this kid, and the Lions drafted him at #8 overall thinking the same thing. It may just be some ups and downs this year as he gets up to speed.
I agree, but I dropped him to roster Henry and Malcom Brown, which I'm happy about right now. 

I'm certainly high on him; I just have no idea how Patricia will use him in redraft this year. 
He was having a really solid game in week 4 before getting hurt.  I am not sure why they did not target him much in week 2 and 3.  He did get a few targets, just did not produce.  He creates too much of a mismatch and is extremely good after the catch not to take advantage of.  Part of the issue is the Lions have several good receiving targets.  It is really just a matter of Stafford becoming comfortable with using him more on third downs.  He has been getting a good amount of chances in the res zone. 

He was having a really solid game in week 4 before getting hurt.  I am not sure why they did not target him much in week 2 and 3.  He did get a few targets, just did not produce.  He creates too much of a mismatch and is extremely good after the catch not to take advantage of.  Part of the issue is the Lions have several good receiving targets.  It is really just a matter of Stafford becoming comfortable with using him more on third downs.  He has been getting a good amount of chances in the res zone. 
He had few targets in 2&3, and left early in 4. He has four end zone targets, which is pretty high. He almost had a touchdown in Philly. But, I was carrying too many tight ends and I need consistency at the position in the league I'm in rather than variance.

So, he got cut for Malcolm Brown.

This scenario is some bullllllllll shhhhhhhhit.

I'm almost to the point of just cutting him and playing Eifert.  You would think they know, (2 weeks after this injury, and many practices) that he will be cleared.

Just come out and say it, and stop putting it off.

Im in a situation in one league where I need a big TE day, and I might roll the dice and wait. But in other scenarios, I might take the lower but more likely floor of Eifert.

TZM

This scenario is some bullllllllll shhhhhhhhit.

I'm almost to the point of just cutting him and playing Eifert.  You would think they know, (2 weeks after this injury, and many practices) that he will be cleared.

Just come out and say it, and stop putting it off.

Im in a situation in one league where I need a big TE day, and I might roll the dice and wait. But in other scenarios, I might take the lower but more likely floor of Eifert.

TZM
We are talking about a serious concussion here, not a sore ankle or tight hamstring. Just because you test it out with practicing doesn't mean symptoms won't all of sudden reoccur out of the blue. It happens. Also, Detroit has really no reason to announce it. Why give GB a clear picture of how to game plan them? Detroit would certainly play things differently if Hock is out.

I'd bet everything I own that's not the case. They are not taking a player who can't pass concussion protocol on a trip so he can sit on the sideline.

It's not just a NE thing, when people were still holding out hope Barkey or Engram would play this week I knew it was false hope when I read that the team did not pack travel bags for them.  They are not taking a guy with concussion symptoms on a trip so he can sit on the sideline.
I agree. I can’t see even putting him on a plane if he’s still concussed.

We are talking about a serious concussion here, not a sore ankle or tight hamstring. Just because you test it out with practicing doesn't mean symptoms won't all of sudden reoccur out of the blue. It happens. Also, Detroit has really no reason to announce it. Why give GB a clear picture of how to game plan them? Detroit would certainly play things differently if Hock is out.
But what about Biz Markie’s fantasy team? Surely they care about that.

Umm, I have not seen anything official on TJ's status....... at least not on the Rotoworld site, NOR on Yahoo.

Can anyone shed any light on this before the game tonight?  I assume @Walking Boot didn't just "make his statement up" , but I don't see any official word in the usual spots.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread