What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oleg Deripaska is suing the US government (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
This is not directly related to the Mueller investigation - it is an action against the Treasury Department for the sanctions that are being imposed on Deripaska individually.

Copy of complaint

I am sure some smart lawyers have thought this one through - but it seems rather odd that he would voluntarily submit to the court's jurisdiction - where he can, and likely will, be deposed.

(Its a Trap!)

Meh, seems like the same strategy Prigozhin has been following. Use the US system of due process to try to drag info and data out the US IC, and forum shop to do that. Keep searching till they hit on a Trumpite judge who buys into Deep State and even if they don't glean whatever they can from the proceedings.

It will be interesting to see how hard Treasury and DOJ really push back on this...
This is one way to get around a veto-proof majority, possibly.

Step 1. Congress passes stuff the White House doesn’t like with a veto-proof majority.

Step 2. The President signs it into law because what else can he do?

Step 3. Someone challenges the law, whether in good faith or not.

Step 4. The executive branch declines to defend the suit and allows a default judgment to be entered against the United States of Ameirca.

Step 5. Profit.

Something vaguely similar happened in California within the last few years. Maybe with gay marriage? I don’t remember the details, but a proposition was passed, was challenged, and the state AG declined to defend the suit because, in terms of policy, the Governor and the AG agreed with the challengers. I think the courts were going to let some other party possibly step in to defend the suit, but maybe it was mooted before that happened? Like I said, I don’t remember the details and I don’t feel like googling...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one way to get around a veto-proof majority, possibly.

Step 1. Congress passes stuff the White House doesn’t like with a veto-proof majority.

Step 2. The President signs it into law because what else can he do?

Step 3. Someone challenges the law, whether in good faith or not.

Step 4. The executive branch declines to defend the suit and allows a default judgment to be entered against the United States of Ameirca.

Step 5. Profit.

Something vaguely similar happened in California within the last few years. Maybe with gay marriage? I don’t remember the details, but a proposition was passed, was challenged, and the state AG declined to defend the suit because, in terms of policy, the Governor and the AG agreed with the challengers. I think the courts were going to let some other party possibly step in to defend the suit, but maybe it was mooted before that happened? Like I said, I don’t remember the details and I don’t feel like googling...
“Good faith” and “civil discourse” are relics of the past I’m afraid. 

This is something that started happening under Obama and maybe Bush before him. It’s definitely happened under Trump. And I’ve never understood why people are ok with it. It’s not up to the president what laws his DOJ enforces.

This is something that started happening under Obama and maybe Bush before him. It’s definitely happened under Trump. And I’ve never understood why people are ok with it. It’s not up to the president what laws his DOJ enforces.
The public servants at the DOJ do swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, so if they determine that a certain congressional act is unconstitutional, they arguably shouldn't defend it.

You're right that it's not up to the President himself...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread