What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how many people there are out there like my wife, who watched maybe 3 hours of NBA action all season but lucked into seeing one of the greatest moments in NBA history while waiting to start Game of Thrones.

I don’t think he’s totally wrong, but Toronto’s defense was absolutely suffocating.

maybe magic could have spent more time trying to put a decent team together and he wouldn’t have to worry about tweeting.
I think Magic Johnson's resume in the NBA more than qualifies him for tweeting about basketball. It qualifies him moreso than a bunch of fantasy football dudes on an Internet forum.  
i cant even stand that guy and basically if the lakers fell in to the ocean in a mudslide and were erased from the anols of history ancient egypt style i would be ok with that but i agree with what you said take that to the bank bromigo

i am just saying that there is a chance that fultz will become one of the best shooters in the nba and dominate total shooting percentage for the next decade and that in that same time period ben simmons will take exactly 8 jump shots and miss all of them except one which bounces off of another players head and goes in and that one player will in fact be markell fultz and they will award him the points so look im not guaranteeing it will happen but you should keep your eyes open take that to the bank brohans 

Soulfly3 said:
Woj seems to think Kawhi staying in TO is gaining serious momentum
That'd be awesome for them, but small problem with building around him that nobody ever mentions for some reason:

Guess how old Kyle Lowry is? 

Wrong, he's older than that.

Capella said:
Wow that came out of nowhere. Figured he would retire there. 
Just signed a huge extension last year. John is a great college..feel good type of coach who is all about character and doing the right thing.  not sure how that will translate to the NBA player.  John will be 67 soon and probably feels this is his last chance to be a NBA HC.   Wish him the best as he is a great guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That'd be awesome for them, but small problem with building around him that nobody ever mentions for some reason:

Guess how old Kyle Lowry is? 

Wrong, he's older than that.
Lowry comes off the books after next year, as well as many others.

They can bring the band back together for one more run next year, then their cap sheet is fresh and clean after that.

They can bring the band back together for one more run next year, then their cap sheet is fresh and clean after that.
Right, but a talent like Lowry is not easy to replace. Is Kawhi + Siakam + a well-run organization enough to recruit other players of that caliber to replace him?  Or alternatively is Ujiri good enough to keep the Spurs of the North without another player of that caliber?

ehh maybe. Gasol is looking like it will be a struggle to hold up for a season, and I laugh at anyone saying they have an idea of what Kawhi wants. Considering how Kawhi has been thrown around the media, and his seemingly desire to not be in front of the camera a ton, I don't really know what to expect to see in Toronto.

If I am Kawhi, I am a little concerned with how much wear and tear his body endured that series. it seems to make sense for some of the free agents who are later in their careers to want to join teams with other top free agents or with teams that can hold their own like Clippers or Nets. I guess he had that this year with just playing 60 games in Toronto and getting the 2nd seed. But all of this speculation all year just seems to be reporters playing with themselves.

Woj had his podcast over the weekend with Rusillo and they both kind of said there is no way to predict free agency this year. with as many top free agents out there, they will all be talking and trying to coordinate and it is pure speculation at this point. I really doubt Kawhi stays more because they won yesterday and Butler and Harris leave cause they lost. I am sure players have had plans for months, and are waiting to see how some things play out

Insein said:
The Process success will be with Joel and Ben.
Nothing in basketball less true than this - and, last season, i called them the new Kobe & Shaq.

Speaking of Shaq, his playoff shot radius? 3.5 feet. Simmons' shot radius in 2 rounds of 2019 playoffs? 2.5 feet. JoJo couldn't post up because Simmons' man was already sagged back far enough for a ready double. Three years they've had to put together a two-man game, but now neither of them can be the one-man they are with the other on the floor. Someone will pay well to use Simmons as basketball's first point-post or hope he develops a shot so he can use his other highly-estimable skills. Get a PG, new depth for him, a nutritionist for Embiid, a contract for Jimmy Buckets and a long overdue one-way ticket for the Dubya of coaches and Philly might have themselves a team. Here's to Process 2.0

Right, but a talent like Lowry is not easy to replace. Is Kawhi + Siakam + a well-run organization enough to recruit other players of that caliber to replace him?  Or alternatively is Ujiri good enough to keep the Spurs of the North without another player of that caliber?
Lowry's lost it - back to his Memphis form. All hustle, no shot. That's why he's so much older than his career - it took him 6 yrs to find his shot.He's the single greatest reason the Raptors will be fossils soon.

Nate Duncan ✔ @NateDuncanNBA

Joel Embiid's game tonight was the first regulation game on record*, regular season or playoffs, in which a player was +10 or better while playing 45 or more minutes and his team lost.

*Data goes back to 2000 per @bball_ref

Good times :no:

wait, is the fan opinion this morning really "come on guys, leave poor Joel alone he doesn't deserve to get roasted for crying."?

the guy is the NBA's biggest troll/bully/petulant baby other than maybe Draymond.

if you're going to dish out as much #### talking as he does you're going to get it back in spades at the next available opportunity :shrug:

Lowry's lost it - back to his Memphis form. All hustle, no shot. That's why he's so much older than his career - it took him 6 yrs to find his shot.He's the single greatest reason the Raptors will be fossils soon.
Kawhi + Siakam will be a top 5 pairing in the NBA sooner than later. Siakam is unbelievable, if you watch him. In 1-2yrs, he's a star. 

Im unsure why you think Lowry is going to sink the Raps? Once he leaves they'll be able to replace him w a better player at the same or lower cost. 

If they don't keep Kawhi, then we'll see. It all hinges on him. 

Nate Duncan ✔ @NateDuncanNBA

Joel Embiid's game tonight was the first regulation game on record*, regular season or playoffs, in which a player was +10 or better while playing 45 or more minutes and his team lost.

*Data goes back to 2000 per @bball_ref

Good times :no:
If he had just taken 3 or 4 of those 3-point attempts and drove the lane, he'd have somehow gotten 4 more points from a basket or FTs.

Kawhi + Siakam will be a top 5 pairing in the NBA sooner than later. Siakam is unbelievable, if you watch him. In 1-2yrs, he's a star. 

Im unsure why you think Lowry is going to sink the Raps? Once he leaves they'll be able to replace him w a better player at the same or lower cost. 

If they don't keep Kawhi, then we'll see. It all hinges on him. 
Siakam's being traded to the Clippers?!

ETA: And i meant this yr on Lowry sinkin em

ETA to ETA: And the spanking the Bucks will put on em will knock Kawhi off all honest thought of staying in Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowry has been going way downhill.  He only really had 1 good game in this series by my eyes.  He certainly does contribute a lot of a hustle and I assume leadership, and maybe he will come back fresher next year, but I don't think that he was so important this year.  Either way, I do think that Kawhi + Siakam + Masai is an excellent core to more toward the future with and that not having Lowry will be far from a death blow.

lets look at what most nba players will focus on canada has great syrup and nice people while meanwhile good luck trying to park in philly have you even watched parking wars it is just crazy you cant even run in to get a cheesesteak without them slapping a ticket on you so on that train of thought and again thinking like an nba player he stays in canada take that to the bank bromigos 

Soulfly3 said:
I suspect we overestimate the impact of these narratives on free agent decisions, but I did have the thought after watching the game that the Clippers have to be almost as depressed as the Sixers. 

Soulfly3 said:
That has been a concern since he advanced to the 2nd round. I enjoy watching him play and win but I don't want him feeling good about this squad and resigning with Toronto.

Is there a professional team with a bleaker outlook than Cleveland?   I do not understand this move at all.  How much money does a guy need?
I do not know him in detail, other than he has a good reputation.  I view this as one of the following (and possibly a combination):

He recently found out about some shady stuff going on and is getting out while the getting is good, or

He is nearing retirement and has always wondered if he could succeed at the next level.  Props to him if this is it and he takes a chance on it before riding into the sunset.

Having now watched the Kawhi shot at least 50 times, I think the coolest part is that the final buzzer actually finishes going off before the shot falls, resulting in an amazing split-second of dead silence and anticipation before all hell breaks loose. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before in any game.

Simmons: “Rockets call the Lakers. Eric Gordon and @Capella for Lebron. You have 5 minutes to decide. What do the Lakers say?”

:lmao:   :lmao:  
My life is so much better skipping Simmons for anything but interviews with legit players. 

For a light hearted podcast I love Jalen and Jacoby and any Roadtripping podcast with Jefferson.

tjnc09 said:
Sorry man.  Portland has been a soft out in the playoffs.  They didn't magically get so much better they could compete with a healthy GS team - they just played a bunch of garbage this year to get to this point.  Don't confuse that with being historically elite.
Cool, so no excuses about injuries if Portland whips the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals?  If that happens will you admit Portland is just better?

Cool, so no excuses about injuries if Portland whips the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals?  If that happens will you admit Portland is just better?
Don't put pie in the clown's face.

Gotta hand it to you; you believed!  I did not.  No way in hell did I think they were the better team, but here we are.  Books aren't giving Portland a chance, but I think they can give this team fits.  

Looking forward to 2 of the best in the world going at it in the East.  Giannis and Kawhi are the best 2-way players in the NBA.  This series will be amazing.

I also really think the Sixers should move on from Brett Brown.  Does he deserve to be fired?  Not really.  But they have championship aspirations, and he has shown that he is not the guy for that.  Their offensive failures at times and the inability to lead or develop Simmons are too glaring of a problem to expect this team to take a step forward this season, especially without Harris and Butler.  He was a great coach for the re-building, but they need someone that can take them to another level.

Is there a professional team with a bleaker outlook than Cleveland?   I do not understand this move at all.  How much money does a guy need?
Buddy of mine said this:

“Old. Bout to have to rebuild at Michigan. Take big payday with Cavs. Don't have to recruit. Former player and assistant GM with Cavs.”

If all of that is true then I kind of get it.

Don't put pie in the clown's face.

Gotta hand it to you; you believed!  I did not.  No way in hell did I think they were the better team, but here we are.  Books aren't giving Portland a chance, but I think they can give this team fits.  
:lmao: you seriously thought Denver was a bad matchup for Portland.  You can't even scout your own team correctly

Denver, just need to keep the core and let the team grow. Murray is a beast and will get better, they got Porter (?) waiting, and overall the team fits nicely together. 

Philly on the other hand needs to explore trading Simmons if he's unwilling to switch hands when shooting jumpers. Simmons is an 82 game player, not a 16 game player without a jumpshot. Ricky Rubio is the poster child of great PG, but no jump shot. Simmons will be the same....solid starter who handicaps his team.

I like Raptors over Bucks. Kawhi has been unreal and his 3 point shooting will make him harder to defend than Greek. Toronto has enough length to make it difficult for Freak without having to stretch to the perimeter. 

Gonna be fun seeing Steph and Dame duel and tons of cuts to Mama Curry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread