What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being realistic is not being a jackass.  People get all upset because I have no problem telling them their team/player isn't that good.  
Ehh, that's not really what I meant. You don't seem to value the opinion of anyone that posts here, and just about everything you say is antagonistic in some way or another. If you make a lot of money betting the NBA you have expert level knowledge - I guess I just don't understand why you bother. Not trying to run you off or anything, I'm just curious.  

Ben Simmons is seriously messed up right now, but anyone who thinks CJ McCollum is going to significantly contribute to more substantial NBA victories than he simply doesn't understand basketball.

You really believe that or just don't want to get your hopes up?
Yes. They can beat trash teams with good D + Kawhi. They can't beat the Bucks like that. 

If they shoot the 3 like they did after the ASB (pretty sure they were 1st in %) they can win. If they're bricking wide open shots like they did for pretty much the entire first two rounds, they're done. I don't have much faith that they turn it around. 

Gasol dad dicking Embiid and Vucevic was a massive plus which won't be there vs the Bucks.

So yeah, Bucks in 5.

Having now watched the Kawhi shot at least 50 times, I think the coolest part is that the final buzzer actually finishes going off before the shot falls, resulting in an amazing split-second of dead silence and anticipation before all hell breaks loose. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before in any game.
Solid catch.

dont know how it was IN the acc, but in jurassic park i felt the earth actually shake, it was incredible.

being the "old man" I am, i was actually watching and didnt hve my phone out, but you should definitely look for some video of it, it was incredible.

Update: GOT IT

Jurassic Park

Look closely and you won't see me in the vid  :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Being realistic is not being a jackass.  People get all upset because I have no problem telling them their team/player isn't that good.  
I disagree, I haven't noticed you until a few weeks ago and generally find your posting style unpleasant. There are more tactful ways of sharing your opinions... or not, that's why we have the ignore function.

Ben Simmons is seriously messed up right now, but anyone who thinks CJ McCollum is going to significantly contribute to more substantial NBA victories than he simply doesn't understand basketball.
:goodposting: seriously. it's like the guy's saying McCollum > Ben are guys who watch NBA by looking at box scores and only paying attn. to PPG. Ben is better than CJ in every aspect outside of shooting jumpers. Age, salary, etc.

The guy that took 5 shots and had 5 TOs in a game 7? The guy that's scared to take a jumper? 

Yeah, they should probably fire up the process again.
Dude has no showed against the big teams in the last 2 playoffs. Hasn't seemed to develop a jumper in 2 seasons and is scared of contact because then he has to shoot FTs. 

Yep definitely need to start it over. 

no way you can blame Ben in this one. there is plenty to go around. you guys are 4 bounces away from being on the other end so i wouldn't gloat too much. Sixers avoid one of the 3 shot clock violations and probably a different story as well
Dude had Toronto hit their Wide open 3s in the first half the Sixers would've been blown out of the building last night. They were lucky to get out of the first round playing the crap way they were playing in the 1st. They were lucky they played the Nets in the first round as a better team would've knocked them out 

I disagree, I haven't noticed you until a few weeks ago and generally find your posting style unpleasant. There are more tactful ways of sharing your opinions... or not, that's why we have the ignore function.
Considering I've been in every playoff thread for the past five or six years, it can't be that bad if you just started noticing me a few weeks ago :thumbup:

Dude had Toronto hit their Wide open 3s in the first half the Sixers would've been blown out of the building last night. They were lucky to get out of the first round playing the crap way they were playing in the 1st. They were lucky they played the Nets in the first round as a better team would've knocked them out 
:no:  i feel like half of the people in here don't watch the games. He was covering Kawhi most of the night and Kawhi had 39 shot attempts. he forced Kawhi into 2 of 9 from 3 with those 2 being off offensive rebounds where Ben wasn't there. Ben had a good game, and if he wasn't there they would have been down much more in the 1st half. quick excerpt from one of the better Sixers' beat writers, Kyle Neubeck:

from https://www.phillyvoice.com/instant-observations-sixers-raptors-game-7-joel-embiid-jimmy-butler-ben-simmons-kawhi-leonard/

The only Sixers player who showed up for the game early was Ben Simmons. A lot of his teammates appeared to be out of sorts and unable to match Toronto's physicality in the first half, but Simmons took the game right at the Raptors, and he helped them hang around in spite of some ghastly effort elsewhere.

His game was not one without risk. On one transition push, Simmons took a giant dribble through two defenders that could have easily gotten out of control or resulted in a turnover. But he used his speed to burst through the gap, grabbed the ball and drew free throws on the play, something we haven't seen him do enough in this series.

The Raptors focused a lot of their energy on stopping Joel Embiid and Jimmy Butler, sending hedges and hard doubles and doing whatever they could to stop Philadelphia's top offensive options. Simmons helped make up some of the difference.

And what can you say about his defense that hasn't been said already during this series? He was part of the group that slowed down Kawhi Leonard, and he made some sensational recoveries to block Toronto jumpers, which we have slowly grown accustomed to seeing him do this year. He has had some low moments in this series, but it was a good night for him.

:goodposting: seriously. it's like the guy's saying McCollum > Ben are guys who watch NBA by looking at box scores and only paying attn. to PPG. Ben is better than CJ in every aspect outside of shooting jumpers. Age, salary, etc.
If McCollum played for the Sixers yesterday, they would have won.  

I'm sorry, that's all kinds of wrong, I take it back.

If McCollum was playing for the Sixers they wouldn't have been playing at all yesterday because they would have won in 6.  There, that's better.

it will be something when  Kawhi leaves after this season for Toronto to sink to a sub .500 team, and he chooses to sign with the Sixers
Same with Butler he doesn't like playing with Children who need to be treated with Kid gloves he's gone. You act like the Sixers are getting guarantees here. I'm honestly gonna really enjoy seeing Butler leave and possible Harris and with in 3 yrs Joel not playing a game because his knees won't be able to hold up the weight on his upper half of the body because he's too concerned talking #### online then actually improving his health. But hey at least you Got Ben. I mean the dude is scared to hit FTs or try a jumper and gets upset when the fans boo. He'll be hearing a ton of it soon and maybe he'll ask for trade. Then the Sixers can Start the Process 2.0 or whatever bull#### the owners want to sell the fans to not turn on them. 

If McCollum played for the Sixers yesterday, they would have won.  

I'm sorry, that's all kinds of wrong, I take it back.

If McCollum was playing for the Sixers they wouldn't have been playing at all yesterday because they would have won in 6.  There, that's better.
i don't get the NBA math here, but ok. enjoy CJ or whoever you root for, as a Sixers' fan i'm happy to have Ben

Imagine thinking you slowed down someone in a series limiting them to 35PPG on 53% shooting.....
with 39 shot attempts....  

and to be honest, Kawhi was absolutely phenomenal. the shots he was taking were not easy shots. he had to work for almost all of it

This i don't get. What the hell has he done?! What has he taught ANYone to do? He couldnt help JOke-for or Futz find a game, couldn't integrate Saric into the scheme, has had Embiid & Simmons for three years without developing a 2man game, can't get Embiid to go low nor Simmons to step out. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln - how'd you like the game? Having once been with Pop gives him a pass on all this?! If he's not the Dubya of ball, he's at least the Joe Biden.
I see it more of the Ownership working against Brown. Based on body motion and reports over the yrs Brown and the owners don't seem to be eye to eye on how to deal with the players. Ownership seems to want to treat guys with kid gloves where Brown seems to want to take off the gloves and tell his guys to put their big boy pants. I think Butler's on court coaching telling Embiid or Simmons to drive to the lane etc is an extension of Brown trying to tell Embiid and Ben time to grow up. I feel if Butler leaves based on a conversation with a Sixers staffer I overheard 3 yrs ago before Ben was Drafted if Butler doesn't resign with the Sixers they can forget trying to sign any big time player. Everything the guy said that night has been true. Brown wasn't going to stay if Hinkie did and will sign an extension when Colagelo is officially announced happened, They would draft Simmons if they got the first pick despite some people in the org wanting Ingram, The reason the Sixers were trying to trade Noel for Schoeder/Teague was JC asked USMBBT the players thoughts on the Sixers. He came away in order to get a big name player in Philly he needed to trade for a player who would sign with the team as players didn't trust Sixers ownership. Well non of the big names signed with the Sixers last summer. Perhaps if Philly had traded Fultz/Simmons plus for Leonard and he extended with the Sixers they may have Lebron right now. It sounds more like the ownership is holding the team back more than Brown. I'm not saying Brown has been a world beater but whats he gonna do when he wants to create change and ownership wants to do something different? 

well, the whole premise was he wanted to be "home" in LA.... Toronto basically has to win him over with salary (easy), winning (also easy, currently), and the way they kept his body healthy all season long was apparently much appreciated by the player.

If he goes to the clippers, it's legitimately to be home.That's the bottom line.
The Clippers can't guarantee being good like Toronto can. Easier to win in the East than west. LA is a nice town but imagine the pressure he'd be under to win a "ship there where in Toronto it's not as huge. Toronto kept his body healthy and he has their respect which seemed like a big reason he wanted out of SA. 

Better overall defender and can shoot a FT are a few other things he does better. 

I think everybody is overestimating the importance of being able to take at least one shot outside of 12 feet in the playoffs.

ETA: just in case people arent sure the stat is not hyperbole. He literally didn't take a single shot outside of 12 feet in the playoffs 

:no:  i feel like half of the people in here don't watch the games. He was covering Kawhi most of the night and Kawhi had 39 shot attempts. he forced Kawhi into 2 of 9 from 3 with those 2 being off offensive rebounds where Ben wasn't there. Ben had a good game, and if he wasn't there they would have been down much more in the 1st half. quick excerpt from one of the better Sixers' beat writers, Kyle Neubeck:

from https://www.phillyvoice.com/instant-observations-sixers-raptors-game-7-joel-embiid-jimmy-butler-ben-simmons-kawhi-leonard/

The only Sixers player who showed up for the game early was Ben Simmons. A lot of his teammates appeared to be out of sorts and unable to match Toronto's physicality in the first half, but Simmons took the game right at the Raptors, and he helped them hang around in spite of some ghastly effort elsewhere.

His game was not one without risk. On one transition push, Simmons took a giant dribble through two defenders that could have easily gotten out of control or resulted in a turnover. But he used his speed to burst through the gap, grabbed the ball and drew free throws on the play, something we haven't seen him do enough in this series.

The Raptors focused a lot of their energy on stopping Joel Embiid and Jimmy Butler, sending hedges and hard doubles and doing whatever they could to stop Philadelphia's top offensive options. Simmons helped make up some of the difference.

And what can you say about his defense that hasn't been said already during this series? He was part of the group that slowed down Kawhi Leonard, and he made some sensational recoveries to block Toronto jumpers, which we have slowly grown accustomed to seeing him do this year. He has had some low moments in this series, but it was a good night for him.
Want to know what the Rapters forced most of their energy there? Because no one is really afraid of Ben Simmons beating them with a jumper. 

SERIOUS QUESTION HERE: Did you watch BEN SIMMONS PLAY COLLEGE BALL AT ALL OR JUST WATCH THE HIgHLIGHtS SC AND EVERYONE PUT UP?

I did and I saw nothing special about the guy. He fouled out in 2 games vs Teams who should be playing Division 2 or 3 ball, he was mugged by the Kentucky Bigs, his gaudy Defensive steals and Blocks per games was because he had double the attempts of any player in Nation to do so. Teams were not afraid of throwing their best players and attacking him while Ben was defending. Yeah he has some flashy passes and can dunk and run the floor but that's about it. HE REFUSED SHOOTING COACHING FROM HIS OWN UNCLE ON THE TEAM. His Teammates in Australia on the National Team can't stand his personality. at times in college he looked dissatisfied and uninterested in game. You and others can tell people how Ben has worked on his jumper or tell us about hisTriple Double numbers. Those numbers don't mean a dam if you aren't leading a team to a title. Westbrook has avieraged or led the league in TD's the last few seasons and where has that gotten his teams. If the Sixers were smart they would sell Simmons while his stock is still a little high. I heard Lebron and the Lakers would love him and Lebron would trade anyone at this point. Have your pick and maybe grab Kuzma and Ingram. Go out and sign yourself Patrick Beverly and you got yourself a very good team now. Ben holds the team back from their potential. Let the Lakers and their #### shot circus deal with him. I'm sure he'd be happy there since fans won't also constructive boo him and he won't have his feelings hurt either. Ben Simmons might be the most overrated player in basketball in the last 15 yrs. 

Imagine thinking you slowed down someone in a series limiting them to 35PPG on 53% shooting.....
Hey it's a win for MoDogg and other Sixers Fans. Hell they were giving Fultz a standing O when he made a shot at one point last year. Got to take those moral victories I guess when your team was intentionally losing for so many yrs I guess. 

Kawhi is a 6god in TO right now. He's untouchable. 

I kno he doesnt show emotion but he must be absolutely loving his rep in TO and canada in general. I really think he's been won over, but anything can happen. 

Really hope he stays
I kind of hope he stays in the East. I think Toronto and the Raptors deserve to have a player of his caliber. Canada roots hard for the Raptors and if wins a title there he'll be treated more like a god then his hometown would. Kawhi could set up shop for yrs there. 

Want to know what the Rapters forced most of their energy there? Because no one is really afraid of Ben Simmons beating them with a jumper. 

SERIOUS QUESTION HERE: Did you watch BEN SIMMONS PLAY COLLEGE BALL AT ALL OR JUST WATCH THE HIgHLIGHtS SC AND EVERYONE PUT UP?

I did and I saw nothing special about the guy. He fouled out in 2 games vs Teams who should be playing Division 2 or 3 ball, he was mugged by the Kentucky Bigs, his gaudy Defensive steals and Blocks per games was because he had double the attempts of any player in Nation to do so. Teams were not afraid of throwing their best players and attacking him while Ben was defending. Yeah he has some flashy passes and can dunk and run the floor but that's about it. HE REFUSED SHOOTING COACHING FROM HIS OWN UNCLE ON THE TEAM. His Teammates in Australia on the National Team can't stand his personality. at times in college he looked dissatisfied and uninterested in game. You and others can tell people how Ben has worked on his jumper or tell us about hisTriple Double numbers. Those numbers don't mean a dam if you aren't leading a team to a title. Westbrook has avieraged or led the league in TD's the last few seasons and where has that gotten his teams. If the Sixers were smart they would sell Simmons while his stock is still a little high. I heard Lebron and the Lakers would love him and Lebron would trade anyone at this point. Have your pick and maybe grab Kuzma and Ingram. Go out and sign yourself Patrick Beverly and you got yourself a very good team now. Ben holds the team back from their potential. Let the Lakers and their #### shot circus deal with him. I'm sure he'd be happy there since fans won't also constructive boo him and he won't have his feelings hurt either. Ben Simmons might be the most overrated player in basketball in the last 15 yrs. 
you catch his high school highlights where he shot 70% free throws and 30% from 3? kid is 22, i'm ok with where he is at. pretty funny to suggest he is the most overrated player in the last 15 years

Butler or Harris + lots of doubles. The rest of the Raptors were bricking every open look and Kawhi isn't the best passer out of doubles. 
If Butler is guarding Kawhi most of that series his offensive output isn't half of what it was (Butler's that is). 

Butler or Harris + lots of doubles. The rest of the Raptors were bricking every open look and Kawhi isn't the best passer out of doubles. 
Butler got crushed by Kawhi almost every time he was covering him.  Harris has no chance against Kawhi.  I get Ben's shortcomings obviously, but he was a big part of their defensive effort, as crazy as it seems based on Kawhi's offensive output.  

If Butler is guarding Kawhi most of that series his offensive output isn't half of what it was (Butler's that is). 
Sure. But in this scenario they're going from basically nothing from Simmons to CJ averaging 20+ and spacing the floor for Harris, Butler, Embiid and Reddick. It's a win for every other Sixer.

Butler got crushed by Kawhi almost every time he was covering him.  Harris has no chance against Kawhi.  I get Ben's shortcomings obviously, but he was a big part of their defensive effort, as crazy as it seems based on Kawhi's offensive output.  
For sure. They also weren't sending help for Butler/Harris till later in the series. 

Simmons certainly played Kawhi tough, not knocking that part of his game. It's the other end where he cripples the team.

If the Wolves can't get Durant or Kawhi this summer, I'd settle for Horford.
that would be interesting, to see if he could be a piece to upgrade them into a playoff contendor.

FUnniest rumor i have heard so far, with Steven A.Smith screaming how Kyrie is going to the Knicks, is how the Knicks also want to offer Rozier a contract as well. That could be funny

you catch his high school highlights where he shot 70% free throws and 30% from 3? kid is 22, i'm ok with where he is at. pretty funny to suggest he is the most overrated player in the last 15 years
Seriously what kind of reaching are you doing? It's sad and embarrassing you had to go all the way back to HS to get his best Shooting stats. Against guys he was twice the size of anyone his size and athletic ability can do that. 30% is pretty terrible shooting 3s these days. He's nothing more then a stat padder on a worse team where he's overall completely exposed. 

And again answer the question. Did you actually watch Simmons in College or just his highlights? HS highlights don't mean a dam to me and many others. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread