What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread: Toronto Raptors win NBA title #1.33 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm Philly I can live with the shot Kawhi took. They made him take a tough-### shot, really can't do much else.
Exactly my entire point.  Great offense beats great defense.  The game is designed such that a really great scorer has the advantage.  There are a handful of players that are "unguardable" and they are considered most valuable.  This whole thing started when @tjnc09stated that Draymond was more valuable than 90% of the all-NBA list I presented.

He then followed that gem up by stating that Kawhi was just lucky to make his game winner.

But hey, he has made a ton of money gambling, so there is no way he is ever wrong.

He's arguably the best player in the league because he is also an incredible defender.  That helped him become a champion way before he developed into the offensive threat he is.  Now he's just a two way monster.

That shot play was better defense than offense.  Sometimes poor probability shots go in.
:lmao:

Boston is sweeping what is probably the 15th best team in the league in their conference finals. Not the best example if you are trying to argue boring product. 
What a ridiculous comment

Carolina finished with a 30-12-2 record Jan 1 through the end of the season which amongst the entire NHL.  

Both Boston and Carolina are great teams who put in maximum effort.  

What a ridiculous comment

Carolina finished with a 30-12-2 record Jan 1 through the end of the season which amongst the entire NHL.  

Both Boston and Carolina are great teams who put in maximum effort.  
So two teams comprised of Delladova's and McConnell's. Awesome.

Again, did he say something untrue? All he said was that going down 0-1 to the C's was recoverable. Likely not the case against the Raps. Is there something else I missed? I only caught a few snippets so I could be way off. That seems pretty tame by NBA #### talking standards
So is the comment below the "crap" talking that is being referenced?

"Against Boston, you can go down 1-0 and still be fine. But against Toronto, it's hard to be in that spot when you lose the first game in your home," Antetokounmpo said Tuesday, according to ESPN's Malika Andrews.

What exactly is incorrect in the statement, Boston was the 4 seed and had a home record of 28-13 in the regular season, Toronto is the 2 seed with a home record of 32-9.  It is more likely to get a win in Boston that it is in Toronto.  Not sure why this is #### talking, it is true, they are less likely to get a road win and will be in trouble if they lose at home.

i have no idea, but i thought they were one of the lowest attended teams. even when they had a push last year it seemed the city didn't buy into them much.
During a dumpster-fire season, the Pelicans averaged 16,004 fans at home during the 2018-19 season, 25th out of 30 teams. Ahead of some much larger markets such as Atlanta, Phoenix, and Minneapolis. And Brooklyn.

Max capacity for basketball in the Smoothie King Center is 16,867, expandable to about 18,500. So even if every game were a sellout, the Pelicans would max out around 22 or 23rd in the league (providing no other teams dropped off much). Selling out the expanded figure 41 times would get them up to 11th or 12th. Anyway, the team's been selling about 16K tickets and change per home game every season since 2013-14, falling between 21st and 25th in attendance (see prior seasons at link above).  Ergo, the team moves enough tickets locally for that not to be a reasonable excuse for an insta-move to Seattle.

Meanwhile, Brett Dawson (of the Locked on Pelicans podcast) reported on WWL 870 AM this morning that the Pelicans sold about 2,000 season tickets last night between the #1 pick announcement and 1:00 a.m.

What's the deal with Giannis growing a mouth? I've liked the dude but don't start getting arrogant before yall accomplished anything. Embiid's already enough to deal with.
Growing a mouth? He says that right after the game 1 loss, yeah that's growing a mouth. He says it after picking the Celtics apart like a zoosadist in their first junior high biology class, it's called speaking with action.

Lotta talk on the AM shows about Knicks reuniting Zion & RJ in Nawlins in exchange for the Brow. What is Shams saying in the Athletic, cuz i don't trust Woj the Nuj no mo.

So is the comment below the "crap" talking that is being referenced?

"Against Boston, you can go down 1-0 and still be fine. But against Toronto, it's hard to be in that spot when you lose the first game in your home," Antetokounmpo said Tuesday, according to ESPN's Malika Andrews.

What exactly is incorrect in the statement, Boston was the 4 seed and had a home record of 28-13 in the regular season, Toronto is the 2 seed with a home record of 32-9.  It is more likely to get a win in Boston that it is in Toronto.  Not sure why this is #### talking, it is true, they are less likely to get a road win and will be in trouble if they lose at home.
It actually sounds like he's being pretty humble and deferential to Toronto - and well what he said about Boston was how it had played out already.

Could see Conley to either the Bulls/Suns for their picks + player/salary since they slipped in draft.

IMO Conley makes more sense on the Bulls. I could see them being a playoff squad in the East with Conley. 
Conley (assuming he buys in) would be a good veteran leader for the Bulls' younger players.  They don't think they quite have the cap space to trade so Memphis would have to accept Felicio back or something.  I didn't run through all the numbers.  

However, I'd prefer they pass or him and use the pick for the best player available.  They could get a lesser veteran PG with their cap space and just roll with that for a bit.  Maybe someone like Rubio (Jazz was interested in Conley at the deadline and they might be a suitor again) or Collison.  Maybe throw their money at Brogdon and see if the Bucks match or not.   I'd also be fine with Derrick Rose returning.  He seems willing. 

Conley (assuming he buys in) would be a good veteran leader for the Bulls' younger players.  They don't think they quite have the cap space to trade so Memphis would have to accept Felicio back or something.  I didn't run through all the numbers.  

However, I'd prefer they pass or him and use the pick for the best player available.  They could get a lesser veteran PG with their cap space and just roll with that for a bit.  Maybe someone like Rubio (Jazz was interested in Conley at the deadline and they might be a suitor again) or Collison.  Maybe throw their money at Brogdon and see if the Bucks match or not.   I'd also be fine with Derrick Rose returning.  He seems willing. 
I'd agree if Garland falls to Chicago.  However, it makes more sense to add Conley, dump that awful Felicio deal, and get some veteran professionalism into that organization than to add another young kid that probably isn't a difference maker.  Conley will also give LaVine, Markkanen, and Carter a much better chance to develop on the court...playing ball the way the Bulls fans should hope for.  Plus it would keep the front office from overspending on a different bottom tier starting 1.

Utah should be motivated to get that deal done after what happened in the playoffs. They aren’t going any further without another offensive creator. 

Blazers got them right where they want them.  Couldn't have played any worse and Warriors shot over 50% from 3.  Golden State will be way too confident in Game 2 and Portland will tie up the series.  Book it.
I love your optimism, but those turnovers were largely forced by a defense the Blazers aren't going to crack.  As much fun as GS is to watch on offense, that team is like a swarm of bees on defense.  Didn't see doubling Kanter coming but it was effective.  Outside of Hood (at times) the bench was completely worthless and if Mo Harkless is going to be the team's second leading scorer, this series won't extend beyond 4. 

Mother effin Jerebko....god. :lmao:

2019 NBA's top playoff scorer gets the ball on the last play of the game, makes it for the win to put team into conference finals... @tjnc09 "bad offense"  and you have no clue!

Classic. :lmao:
It wasn't a good shot.   :shrug:   

He did a good job to get a tough, contested shot off.  And it went in.  Kudos to Leonard.  

But anyone who has played ball knows that it wasn't a great look, and anyone who has made a shot like that knows that it's a slightly lesser version of banking in a 3.  Yeah, it went in.  But deep down even Leonard knows he got really lucky to have a short shot bounce perfectly.  How many times out of 10 does that shot go in?

How much worse would their record be?
I would say a lot worse. CHI played at times last year like they were an above .500 team. no one is worth ever trading an entire team for Plus when you are only basing it off potential. The Sixers fans defense the last 5 yrs was they were gonna tank and get better players. Get Ben Simmons a "once in a generation players" ( I hate this adage and it's so over used today to describe potential) Porter JR and then Get Lebron in FA and others. Fans were acting like it was all guaranteed. Well they got Ben, MPJR fell do to injury and it seems they weren't even close on acquiring any of the big FA targets. Why would a team then want to trade an entire roster for 1 player for a guy people are using a term I hear almost every year for a guy? The term these days is nothing more then Draft fodder to overhype drafts that are essentially a 2 man draft 

Exactly my entire point.  Great offense beats great defense.  The game is designed such that a really great scorer has the advantage.  There are a handful of players that are "unguardable" and they are considered most valuable.  This whole thing started when @tjnc09stated that Draymond was more valuable than 90% of the all-NBA list I presented.

He then followed that gem up by stating that Kawhi was just lucky to make his game winner.

But hey, he has made a ton of money gambling, so there is no way he is ever wrong.
Those are the worst people you can ever argue with. I had at least 2 of these people as co workers at one time or another. They think because they are great gamblers they instantly have become know it alls and have HUGE EGOS. I also had someone on my baseball board who was a decent gambler but then lost all his money. His wife left him and took the kids. A real big time conservative believe every conspiracy theory on Liberals imaginable. Blamed Obama for him losing money on the site. When he Told us the site it was an Illegal site to.beign with and most of us were like no #### it got shut down that's not the Presidents fault you lost your money on a shady site. That's on you for gambling on an ILLEGAL SITE. 

Sometimes these gamblers who make a ton of money off of it are a real treat and great form of entertainment. 

I still think this at least makes the Pelicans wait. That Lakers package isn't worth giving up the chance that Davis wants to stay for Zion and more cash. Nothing in a Lakers offer is likely changing the destiny of the franchise.

You wait till the deadline. Same crap offers now will be there then. But maybe, just maybe, Davis reconsiders wanting to go play for a dumpster fire organization with an old star nobody likes playing with. 
Waiting until the deadline is extremely risky, IMO.  Teams dealing for AD would only be getting him for what, 35 games?   If you’re AD, you don’t commit at that point and I’m not sure if 2 months with the new team is enough to be overwhelmed by culture/relationships.  Hell, if I’m the Lakers, my offer for AD greatly decreases at the deadline, as I know I have a great shot at signing him in 4 months while keeping all he young assets. 

:o  WOW. Rozier really going out of his way to burn bridges. Pretty crazy. Seems like the dude will be a starter once they drop Kyrie, but seems like he really hated this last year here.

Celtics locker room seems crazy toxic, have to think that's all on Kyrie. Drove everyone out of town in 2 years. Dude won't be missed.

:o  WOW. Rozier really going out of his way to burn bridges. Pretty crazy. Seems like the dude will be a starter once they drop Kyrie, but seems like he really hated this last year here.

Celtics locker room seems crazy toxic, have to think that's all on Kyrie. Drove everyone out of town in 2 years. Dude won't be missed.
Sounds like a perfect fit for the Lakers. :(  

Waiting until the deadline is extremely risky, IMO.  Teams dealing for AD would only be getting him for what, 35 games?   If you’re AD, you don’t commit at that point and I’m not sure if 2 months with the new team is enough to be overwhelmed by culture/relationships.  Hell, if I’m the Lakers, my offer for AD greatly decreases at the deadline, as I know I have a great shot at signing him in 4 months while keeping all he young assets. 
Agreed. If AD won't re-sign, they should trade him now to the highest bidder before free agency. Then you at least know what you have going into FA, and you have your team set going into the beginning of the season. Going through another half-season with a foot-out-the-door AD also doesn't help matters.

Can't blame him whatsoever. Hayward had zero business playing 30 MPG -- or much at all -- in the playoffs. They can only pray a full healthy offseason helps him.....because they're stuck with him.

The Celtics were a better team with Rozier at PG than Kyrie Irving. Not opinion. That's facts. Whether that's looking at it from them making the Conference finals last year w/o Kyrie......or looking at their regular season record this year with and without Kyrie (37-30  .552 with   ..... 12-3 .800 without). Always why I got a big kick outta the folks saying the team was better with Kyrie this year. Because if they did any amount of research at all, they'd see how absolutely foolish they look.

Kyrie got what he wanted....franchise willing to make him "the man". And he flopped. Hard.

*guys leg explodes and he nearly dies

6 months later, NBA fans: wow, that guy is trash. he's paid how much? he's not even an NBA player.

6 months after that: wow, i wonder why he sucked last year? was he just pissed at the coach? does he hate the city? does he want to be traded?

It wasn't a good shot.   :shrug:   

He did a good job to get a tough, contested shot off.  And it went in.  Kudos to Leonard.  

But anyone who has played ball knows that it wasn't a great look, and anyone who has made a shot like that knows that it's a slightly lesser version of banking in a 3.  Yeah, it went in.  But deep down even Leonard knows he got really lucky to have a short shot bounce perfectly.  How many times out of 10 does that shot go in?
Good look for average ball player?  No.  Good look for one of the best in the NBA?  Yes.  Like Dame said on his game winner, he practices, takes and makes that shot all the time in a game.  Just because the average Joe can't hit it with consistency doesn't mean it is a bad shot for that player.

Kawhi even talked about how that shot was exactly what he has worked on for years, drive hard to the baseline and pull up.  He even knew he had to get a lot of arch on it based on his past experience.  This wasn't a blind squirrel finding a nut, it was an experienced pro taking a shot he had spent hours working on.  In a game tied, game winner situation?  That is a very good shot.  And for the record, I played college ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
*guys leg explodes and he nearly dies

6 months later, NBA fans: wow, that guy is trash. he's paid how much? he's not even an NBA player.

6 months after that: wow, i wonder why he sucked last year? was he just pissed at the coach? does he hate the city? does he want to be traded?
:goodposting:   

Good look for average ball player?  No.  Good look for one of the best in the NBA?  Yes.  Like Dame said on his game winner, he practices, takes and makes that shot all the time in a game.  Just because the average Joe can't hit it with consistency doesn't mean it is a bad shot for that player.

Kawhi even talked about how that shot was exactly what he has worked on for years, drive hard to the baseline and pull up.  He even knew he had to get a lot of arch on it based on his past experience.  This wasn't a blind squirrel finding a nut, it was an experienced pro taking a shot he had spent hours working on.  In a game tied, game winner situation?  That is a very good shot.  And for the record, I played college ball.
It's probably one of the better shots they could get in those circumstances.  And yes, he's a great player who practices this stuff.

How many times out of 10 do you think he hits that shot in the exact same circumstances?

(note:  I don't think what we are saying is massively far apart)

I love your optimism, but those turnovers were largely forced by a defense the Blazers aren't going to crack.  As much fun as GS is to watch on offense, that team is like a swarm of bees on defense.  Didn't see doubling Kanter coming but it was effective.  Outside of Hood (at times) the bench was completely worthless and if Mo Harkless is going to be the team's second leading scorer, this series won't extend beyond 4. 

Mother effin Jerebko....god. :lmao:
Meh, this version of the Warriors team is good but nothing like when they have Durant and Cousins.  In fact, I don't see them that much better than Denver.  However, you are correct that the defense did bother Lillard and forced him to drive where he uncharacteristically turned the ball over numerous times.  

The biggest adjustment needed is defense.  Make those other goofballs besides Curry and Thompson beat you.

It's probably one of the better shots they could get in those circumstances.  And yes, he's a great player who practices this stuff.

How many times out of 10 do you think he hits that shot in the exact same circumstances?

(note:  I don't think what we are saying is massively far apart)
I'd say that's about a 40% shot for him.  Below his mid range average due to the proximity of the defender and the fading aspect, but not bad.  He was inside the corner three, so it was just about 18-20 ft.

ETA:  Just looked it up and he shot 46.6% from that range during the season.

Meh, this version of the Warriors team is good but nothing like when they have Durant and Cousins.  In fact, I don't see them that much better than Denver.  However, you are correct that the defense did bother Lillard and forced him to drive where he uncharacteristically turned the ball over numerous times.  

The biggest adjustment needed is defense.  Make those other goofballs besides Curry and Thompson beat you.
The way those two were getting their shots off makes me wonder just  how you defend them.  I don't think it can be done.  The speed at which both unleash their shots?  My god.  They're Dan Marinos of basketball.

I'd say that's about a 40% shot for him.  Below his mid range average due to the proximity of the defender and the fading aspect, but not bad.  He was inside the corner three, so it was just about 18-20 ft.

So in researching his shot chart, it looks like he was due to hit one.

Missed a game tying, contested, 19 foot jumper at the buzzer against Charlotte from almost the same spot on April 5th.  The ball actually wedges into the rim/backboard and the end up with a jump ball with 0.8 seconds left.

Interesting.  Thx for the data!   It would be interesting to see his percentages contested vs uncontested, avg distance of nearest defender, etc.  I'd argue this was probably more difficult of a shot than his typical attempt from that range this year --- but I also don't watch the Raptors much.

Thx for the healthy discussion.

Simmons for Conley and the pick?  Maybe some bench fodder and salaries?  Then you only max one of Butler or Harris, depending on who you want in the draft.  Hopefully keep Reddick too.

:lmao:  people call me a troll, but are happy to have this kind of analysis clutter up the thread 

So that’s a black mark but rigging the lottery isn’t? 

These conspiracy theories are wild. 
Whether you believe the NBA does or doesn't, some years it really seems like the nba messes with it and this year there's a little bit of smoke.  Until they start doing it live with a system that can't be tinkered with, people will think what they think.  

He shot 46.6% which includes uncontested and contested by scrubs, but you only expect his % to decrease by 6.6% closely guarded by an elite 7'0" defender with 7'6" wingspan?  lol

There is no way you seriously believe 99% of the stuff you write in here.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread