What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (3 Viewers)

If green energy makes sense, and can make the energy we need at an affordable cost to the consumer, I'm all for it.  I'm skeptical, and I'm not on board with the sky is falling climate change narrative.  But, if we can prosper as a country with new green energy, and pay off our debt, great......I'm not going to hold my breath.
Agreed.  Though, I'm not sure of the skepticism.  It was becoming pretty clear that solar was really hitting its strides at the end of his term.  I know I took advantage of getting solar panels put on my house under those programs in 2017.  Solar companies here in Florida had more work than they could handle.  Yes, that's an anecdote, but it was a rather large one.  I also understand not all areas of the country have weather conducive to this sort of thing, but it seems that in the areas it is, it was coming on pretty strong.  That slowed a bit as the US put tariffs on solar panels coming from Canada for whatever reason.  I think that needs to be lifted so we can continue on that progress.  I think the larger opportunity is installation of electric charging stations, wind farms etc and "appliances" or "machines" running via solar.  

Oh, and Obamacare, from my perspective, was a giant failure.  Sleepy joe was part of that, so......
This, I agree.  Public option was a huge missed opportunity and what's been done since in this administration has made it even worse.  Personally, I think this is one of the big things that needs to be addressed.

proteus126 said:
Good luck.  I'm guessing you will get your chance to get back in, but you are fighting the Fed among other factors.  You might have to be patient.  But you are only 10% down so far.  Nothing major lost yet.
*ahem*

If green energy makes sense, and can make the energy we need at an affordable cost to the consumer, I'm all for it. 
The thing is - even if you (general you) think climate change is a hoax, the rest of the world doesn't and they aren't changing their minds. It's dereliction of duty for a capitalist country like the United States not to do everything they can to be the leaders in a burgeoning industry with a potential market of 6 billion - 330 million people (assuming we still think it's a hoax and are just exporting.)

People really use their personal take on politics and attempt to project that on to the stock market?

According to the analysts/pundits across the tube, they seem to view today as a pullback based on folks profit-taking on Apple, Tesla, Zoom etc. It's been quite a run recently. 

The thing is - even if you (general you) think climate change is a hoax, the rest of the world doesn't and they aren't changing their minds. It's dereliction of duty for a capitalist country like the United States not to do everything they can to be the leaders in a burgeoning industry with a potential market of 6 billion - 330 million people (assuming we still think it's a hoax and are just exporting.)
It would be comparable to the US taking the stance that automobiles and computers were just a fad. 

It's not a hoax, but the disagreement comes from how much. we actually affect the climate

Manster said:
Biden winning the election will not be good for the stock market.........and that's hardly a hot take.
It could be good for buying a dip.  But eventually WS will adjust like they always do and find a way to make money.  

So Biden, who may never even be prez, gets credit when it's up, but Trump is blamed when it's down....😑 
I believe that's how it goes, yes.  You can read through this thread to make sure that's correct, but I THINK that's the way it's supposed to go....it's really weird, but I didn't make the rules.

actually came upon this 3-4 weeks ago and bought a bit 9 days ago :thumbup:  
Don’t know if this is the big one. Probably not. Market has been fake and irrational and could easily continue. I have been avoiding this thread. I’m sure many have been saying in here look at the market, everything is fine, Trump is the best, lol. 

Don’t know if this is the big one. Probably not. Market has been fake and irrational and could easily continue. I have been avoiding this thread. I’m sure many have been saying in here look at the market, everything is fine, Trump is the best, lol. 
Actually,  it's been rather quiet. The logic typically used in here doesn't work all that well right now so the more vocal ones are pretty quiet. I'd like to think it's because now they see how weak their logic is,  but I don't think that's it. they'll be back at some point. 

Around 25 or so?  What did you sell at?

You've been predicting the big one since this thread started.

Around 25 or so?  What did you sell at?
Yeah...I t think it was arround 27.50 or so?  Around the 23rd/24th....I'd have to go look....I think it was just a couple points.  Watching everything else around that time and the market in general,  I didn't hold  it long.  

ETA:  Bought at 21.35 and sold it a month (roughly) later at $27.38 for those interested.  I don't do a lot of that kind of thing, but do from time to time.  I was wrong on "9 days ago" with that one.  It had only been a few days prior.  I was thinking I bought it with a larger purchase including some tech stocks.  The other was a plexiglass company...I flipped them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again...we are the "confidence" portion of the program.  Expect a multi-year lull as people try to sift through all the information/misinformation out there to determine what the right course of action is for them.  When you can't get an honest lay of the land, our conservative nature is just to sit put.  It's baffling that this has yet to be grasped by this administration.  The single biggest thing they can do to help their cause and get things moving is to instill confidence in the American people.  Instead, they are choosing to do the opposite.  

I'm kinda shocked that we don't have our usuals in this thread telling us how the economy is on the cusp of being "on fire" again if we just re-elect trump.  Wonder if that has anything to do with the correlation between the gains shown as the polls grow further and further apart?  I think that's how it works for them though not completely sure.  Financial elements in the market have remained relatively consistent this entire term.  Interest rates have actually been lowered again (remember when interest rate arguments were a thing?)  Yes, confidence is in the pooper and the 10,000 lbs elephant in the room that none want to try and address. 

Not sure what to do with the extra $3T+ (and counting) in deficit spending either.  Real estate in this area is driven by an artificial shortage in housing because people can't move.  It's tough to find a house around here because people aren't moving forcing those who HAVE to move to the area into tough positions.  Here in Central Florida we are facing massive layoffs from the large companies who simply can't wait this fiasco out anymore, dumping even more onto the unemployment line.  Couple that with the GOP lead Senate claiming they are not for any more spending because they are allegedly concerned with deficits and we seem to be at a stalemate.  I think they really believe that cutting spending NOW is the right thing to do which should be terrifying to anyone with a simple grasp on economic concepts.  The problem is growing exponentially as businesses end up on their last legs trying to wait this thing out.  More and more places around here are closing because they can't operate at 50% capacity so the government lifted those restrictions.  Guess what?  People still aren't going to the restaurants/shops etc because they still see the problem all around them and have zero confidence in our leadership to fix it, so those who can are simply staying home letting these businesses rot on the vine.  It's pretty bad around me and I'm in a state that has lifted all restrictions and forbidden local groups from fining people for not wearing masks.  Business protections are basically gone aside from the little bit of personal assistance money allocated to the city/county via CARES Act.  It's been unbelievable to watch.

I'm kinda shocked that we don't have our usuals in this thread telling us how the economy is on the cusp of being "on fire" again if we just re-elect trump.  Wonder if that has anything to do with the correlation between the gains shown as the polls grow further and further apart?  I think that's how it works for them though not completely sure.  Financial elements in the market have remained relatively consistent this entire term.  Interest rates have actually been lowered again (remember when interest rate arguments were a thing?)  Yes, confidence is in the pooper and the 10,000 lbs elephant in the room that none want to try and address. 

Not sure what to do with the extra $3T+ (and counting) in deficit spending either.  Real estate in this area is driven by an artificial shortage in housing because people can't move.  It's tough to find a house around here because people aren't moving forcing those who HAVE to move to the area into tough positions.  Here in Central Florida we are facing massive layoffs from the large companies who simply can't wait this fiasco out anymore, dumping even more onto the unemployment line.  Couple that with the GOP lead Senate claiming they are not for any more spending because they are allegedly concerned with deficits and we seem to be at a stalemate.  I think they really believe that cutting spending NOW is the right thing to do which should be terrifying to anyone with a simple grasp on economic concepts.  The problem is growing exponentially as businesses end up on their last legs trying to wait this thing out.  More and more places around here are closing because they can't operate at 50% capacity so the government lifted those restrictions.  Guess what?  People still aren't going to the restaurants/shops etc because they still see the problem all around them and have zero confidence in our leadership to fix it, so those who can are simply staying home letting these businesses rot on the vine.  It's pretty bad around me and I'm in a state that has lifted all restrictions and forbidden local groups from fining people for not wearing masks.  Business protections are basically gone aside from the little bit of personal assistance money allocated to the city/county via CARES Act.  It's been unbelievable to watch.
Relax, it's Prime Day, just enjoy watching your 401k grow.

I will be doing my part to stimulate Florida's economy in South Beach and the Keys next month.

:thumbup:

Relax, it's Prime Day, just enjoy watching your 401k grow.

I will be doing my part to stimulate Florida's economy in South Beach and the Keys next month.

:thumbup:
Oh, I'm good.  I'm very fortunate.  This thing hasn't impacted me all that much and I am lucky to have a group of neighbors/family around me that has allowed normalcy for the kids.  I am definitely the exception and am very lucky to be that.  It just really sucks for the people around me.  We were just down in the Keys....not sure I'd waste my money down there if I were you, but it might be too late to get your money back?  Not sure...it's a ghost town....especially Key West.  That might ramp up a bit as peak season starts down there in Nov and into Dec/Jan, but right now not a whole lot going on.  As for the 401K, I'm finally getting back to where it was (slightly over) in Mayish?  Lots of wasted time and I don't see it growing like it was several years ago for a while.

Oh, I'm good.  I'm very fortunate.  This thing hasn't impacted me all that much and I am lucky to have a group of neighbors/family around me that has allowed normalcy for the kids.  I am definitely the exception and am very lucky to be that.  It just really sucks for the people around me.  We were just down in the Keys....not sure I'd waste my money down there if I were you, but it might be too late to get your money back?  Not sure...it's a ghost town....especially Key West.  That might ramp up a bit as peak season starts down there in Nov and into Dec/Jan, but right now not a whole lot going on.  As for the 401K, I'm finally getting back to where it was (slightly over) in Mayish?  Lots of wasted time and I don't see it growing like it was several years ago for a while.
No way, I prefer ghost town - have the whole place to ourselves vacations.

Amzn is up 75% from May, Nasdaq about 30%.  I'd suggest better investments.  

What a run we've had, dow up what 10k without the benefit of the same levels of QE and a terrible pandemic to deal with this year. It's been a great run. 

Where you going exactly?  Most people heading to "the Keys" usually mean Key West...probably shouldn't have assumed that.  If you need any info about the different stops along the way, let me know.  I can give you some tips/tricks...especially in the middle keys.

The investments are fine, best I can tell.  I don't have a 401K leveraged in Amzn....for those that do, they're probably thinking this is the best thing ever.  I didn't change my options, but I did alter the amount I was putting in.  Am in it for the long haul, so that move bears fruit a few years from now....just like it did in 2008/9.  As for my stock investments, they are up approx 40% on the whole from June...can't complain.

Where you going exactly?  Most people heading to "the Keys" usually mean Key West...probably shouldn't have assumed that.  If you need any info about the different stops along the way, let me know.  I can give you some tips/tricks...especially in the middle keys.

The investments are fine, best I can tell.  I don't have a 401K leveraged in Amzn....for those that do, they're probably thinking this is the best thing ever.  I didn't change my options, but I did alter the amount I was putting in.  Am in it for the long haul, so that move bears fruit a few years from now....just like it did in 2008/9.  As for my stock investments, they are up approx 40% on the whole from June...can't complain.
Staying at the Bentley on South Beach for a few days.  Never been there.  What to expect?  Then driving a car all the way down to Key West for 3 or 4 days and haven't decided where to stay so I'll take any and all recommendations!  We are kind of banking on it being slow so we can find secluded beaches with good photography.  

I've always done my own investing and am heavily invested in tech and Amzn, but, I haven't bought any for years and think I've diversified since.  My company pays for a financial advisor so I downloaded all my positions, sent them to him and outlined my plan for retirement.  Haven't heard back yet. 

Staying at the Bentley on South Beach for a few days.  Never been there.  What to expect?  Then driving a car all the way down to Key West for 3 or 4 days and haven't decided where to stay so I'll take any and all recommendations!  We are kind of banking on it being slow so we can find secluded beaches with good photography.  

I've always done my own investing and am heavily invested in tech and Amzn, but, I haven't bought any for years and think I've diversified since.  My company pays for a financial advisor so I downloaded all my positions, sent them to him and outlined my plan for retirement.  Haven't heard back yet. 
Can't speak to South Beach...not really our thing so I'd be leading you astray and guessing.  Once you get into the Keys you say goodbye to the beaches though.  The best spot for that sort of thing is Bahia Honda State Park at Big Pine Key which is about 30 miles from Key West.  It's right after Marathon and the 7 Mile bridge.  (By the way, if you get to Marathon and are hungry to go Burdines.  Burgers and the like are fantastic...especially the green chili burger.  All there stuff is good..sandwhiches and fresh catch etc.)  There's actually a decent little beach there (at the park, not Burdines), but there's also several boat docking stations and a huge pontoon they load up a couple times a day to go out to Looe Key.  I say all that to tell you you'll need to get there early if you want a spot...lots to do there.  If you want secluded you need a boat.  You're going to be saying "man, that looks like a good spot" and then realize you can't get there  :D   

I honestly don't know what it's going to be like for you down there next month.  That's the time where NORMALLY people are flooding into the area and the drive down takes hours, but who knows now.  I know that Sept and Oct are good times to be there if you want fewer people...that's after the beginning of lobster season and before the busy time.  If you like Cuban food, El Siboney is a must.  Then there are places like Blue Heaven for breakfast (if you don't mind being around chickens).  Everyone has opinions on those kinds of places.  I always try to hit the Cuban restaurant and then Louie's Backyard.  It's a really chill place on the water away from Duval.  We tend to avoid all the "typical" places down there.

Dow futures fall 100 points after U.S. coronavirus cases surge to record high

This is an insignificant drop right now but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a major correction.   People are sick, dying and suffering and this administration refuses to do anything. It's going to hurt just about every business in this country. :(
I feel we're due for a bit of a correction and/or cooling off and consolidation period, but earnings have been surprisingly good coming out of the shutdown.  I've left a lot of cash on the sidelines hoping for such a pullback and it's to the point now that even a 20% pullback isn't going to get me back to where I could have once deployed it.

Dow futures fall 100 points after U.S. coronavirus cases surge to record high

This is an insignificant drop right now but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a major correction.   People are sick, dying and suffering and this administration refuses to do anything. It's going to hurt just about every business in this country. :(
There’s a lot of fear that a major surge right now will kill the bar/brewery scene if the next stimulus is delayed until January/February. A lot of owners anxiously watching the numbers and fearing rollbacks of openings.

I feel we're due for a bit of a correction and/or cooling off and consolidation period, but earnings have been surprisingly good coming out of the shutdown.  I've left a lot of cash on the sidelines hoping for such a pullback and it's to the point now that even a 20% pullback isn't going to get me back to where I could have once deployed it.
You're right on the earnings so far but I unfortunately think you have a good chance of such a pullback. The government taking this stance of "there's nothing we can do" is horrible for all of us. I fear there's a real possibility of a depression.  :(

ETA. Now it looks like an open of - 300.

I would hold tight a little longer, with Biden the favorite and his proposed tax increases among other changes could impact the markets. 

Would you recommend getting out of stocks this week to protect your family from a Biden victory?
It’s tough to predict as the market isn’t always rational but his policies definitely won’t be as market friendly as Trump’s. I’m a long term investor so I haven’t gotten out but have definitely taken some profits from this years gains and have some cash waiting to see what happens. 

It’s tough to predict as the market isn’t always rational but his policies definitely won’t be as market friendly as Trump’s. I’m a long term investor so I haven’t gotten out but have definitely taken some profits from this years gains and have some cash waiting to see what happens. 
What about ending the trade war with China which has exacted a toll on many companies worldwide?  I would think that would offset some regulations that a Biden presidency might enact.

Well, I guess it's a good sign that we seem to be passed the ridiculousness of "but look at my 401K!!!!!!" is the leading indicator of the "economy" as a whole.  Better late than never I guess.

What about ending the trade war with China which has exacted a toll on many companies worldwide?  I would think that would offset some regulations that a Biden presidency might enact.
I don’t think bowing down to China again is going to offset it but I could see another round of stimulus definitely buying some time. 

Doesn't help when a confidence based market doesn't have any confidence in "yeah, we're good, we're just gonna let this thing we can't control go".  It's remarkable how they are unable to get out of their own way.  
....or they don’t have any confidence in the favorite to win the election 2 weeks out...one or the other. I’m sure your talking point is correct as always though, so weird the last 6 months under the same pandemic were fine and the market is just noticing. Wall Street is usually behind catching on to things like this.  :lmao:

....or they don’t have any confidence in the favorite to win the election 2 weeks out...one or the other. I’m sure your talking point is correct as always though, so weird the last 6 months under the same pandemic were fine and the market is just noticing. Wall Street is usually behind catching on to things like this.  :lmao:
He's been "the favorite" for the last 6 months (if not longer) as well.  It is weird that it's supposedly just noticing, but this is your shtick not mine, so I apologize if I'm not doing it right :shrug:  

He's been "the favorite" for the last 6 months (if not longer) as well.  It is weird that it's supposedly just noticing, but this is your shtick not mine, so I apologize if I'm not doing it right :shrug:  
Yeah clearly you are correct as usual. With capital gains tax rising next year if the market tanks there’s no way it’s from dumping stocks while cost still low. Definitely from month 8 of Coronavirus. 

Yeah clearly you are correct as usual. With capital gains tax rising next year if the market tanks there’s no way it’s from dumping stocks while cost still low. Definitely from month 8 of Coronavirus. 
What you're saying doesn't fit the moves in the market today. Virus stocks today are generally flat to up Stocks like Zoom, Shopify, Dousign. Those stocks have tremendous gains this year, but those gains aren't being locked in today.
THey're up, while others, like cyclicals, are down because of the reporting of increasing virus cases.

Users who are viewing this thread