What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (5 Viewers)

Ok. Tomlin was selected under the Rooney rule. I also doubt they contradict themselves and fire him. Also how many coaches have the Steelers fired in last 60 years??

I hear this after every loss. He isn’t getting fired or resigning. 
How long did Marvin Lewis hold onto a job without coming close to Tomlin in....well.....anything.

The job is Tomlin's as long as he wants it.

As a non-Steelers fan, I can't help but wonder if a lot of the players on the team (who have been there for years) are blaming Tomlin and/or Roethlisberger for losing Antonio Brown. Regardless of the BS that has gone on with Brown this summer, he is a great player, and other players always want great players on their team, and I would bet money some of the vets on the team are pissed about it. To explain what I mean, Ben is known for calling out players and not necessarily taking full responsibility when losses happen, and multiple reports have confirmed that Tomlin has empowered Ben to act like that and is okay with Ben being the leader and acting the way he does, and with Bell and Brown both calling Ben out for it in the offseason, there has to be some players who agree with their takes and are unhappy with their coach and/or their QB. It is possible Tomlin has lost a portion of the locker room that he might have a tough time getting back.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I mentioned it in the game thread.  The team fascination with switzer is mind boggling.  He couldn't run through a wet paper towel. Anyone gets a pinky on him, down he goes. No wonder he was gone so quick in Dallas & Oakland. 
Agreed.. I will get slack for this, but Conner is a great story, but I am not sure he is a starting NFL RB. I think in what I seen Samuels is better, at least with his burst. Conner has no burst and dances around alot.I think this year they are going to have to run the ball more I would like to see Samuels more with Conner and Snell mixed in. There not going to be able to sling it all over cause the WR core isn't that great.

As a non-Steelers fan, I can't help but wonder if a lot of the players on the team (who have been there for years) are blaming Tomlin and/or Roethlisberger for losing Antonio Brown. Regardless of the BS that has gone on with Brown this summer, he is a great player, and other players always want great players on their team, and I would bet money some of the vets on the team are pissed about it. To explain what I mean, Ben is known for calling out players and not necessarily taking full responsibility when losses happen, and multiple reports have confirmed that Tomlin has empowered Ben to act like that and is okay with Ben being the leader and acting the way he does, and with Bell and Brown both calling Ben out for it in the offseason, there has to be some players who agree with their takes and are unhappy with their coach and/or their QB. It is possible Tomlin has lost a portion of the locker room that he might have a tough time getting back.  
No question Ben is a prima-dona, but he was allowed to be since he was drafted.. I can't prove it, but alot of vets didn't care much for him (Bettis, Farrior). I think there wwas a time Ward had issues with him. But I think he has grown up alot, I have no issue with him calling guys out. He is the leader. He did put alot of the blame on himself after New England. Brown may have had a point, but the way AB acted the last week of the season last year he is an ####### and always will be. 

No question Ben is a prima-dona, but he was allowed to be since he was drafted.. I can't prove it, but alot of vets didn't care much for him (Bettis, Farrior). I think there wwas a time Ward had issues with him. But I think he has grown up alot, I have no issue with him calling guys out. He is the leader. He did put alot of the blame on himself after New England. Brown may have had a point, but the way AB acted the last week of the season last year he is an ####### and always will be. 
I agree about Brown, but my point is bigger than that and pre-dates last week's loss to New England.  While I agree that Ben does seem like he is trying better to be a good leader, hence taking the blame for last week's loss, if some vets are pissed because they believe he drove their All-Pro WR away, then it is tough to come back from that.  

I agree about Brown, but my point is bigger than that and pre-dates last week's loss to New England.  While I agree that Ben does seem like he is trying better to be a good leader, hence taking the blame for last week's loss, if some vets are pissed because they believe he drove their All-Pro WR away, then it is tough to come back from that.  
You could be right, but I have a hard time thinking anyone in that locker room has good feelings or would side with AB after his skipped on them in Week 17.

Then he blasts them on Social media.

I just think it's a relatively new core, young guys,  and fan expectations may have been alot greater, especially this early on.

It was Ben's job to make the little boy feel like a man so he could play football and he did not do that.  It was Tomlin's job to make sure Ben did that and he not do that either.  Now they look like fools.

They should not have tagged Bell the second time.  Not paying - that's a fair decision in the cheap RB strategy.  Tagging him was an error.

Now we have a team with a super bowl OL and DL and not enough more to really pose much of a threat and no real out for the year.  You can't blow it up now so we'll muddle through slow painful losses and a few wins.

Wilson was 29-35.  83%.

We rushed 15-74.  Looks OK until you see that Connor was 11-33.  2nd and 8 gets you nowhere.

187 yards passing

Link?

Tomlin isn't perfect but I surprised anyone is still blaming Ben/Tomlin for AB's departure after the OAK debacle.
Did you read my posts above?   I did not say I am blaming them; I am saying I would not be surprised if some of the vets are blaming them.  Things are rarely as black and white as they seem. 

Did you read my posts above?   I did not say I am blaming them; I am saying I would not be surprised if some of the vets are blaming them.  Things are rarely as black and white as they seem. 
Ok.  I thought you had something backing up your claim so I asked for a link.  Since it's just wild speculation on your part we'll just agree to disagree.

How long did Marvin Lewis hold onto a job without coming close to Tomlin in....well.....anything.

The job is Tomlin's as long as he wants it.
Just because the Bengals made a mistake, does not mean that the Steelers need to make a mistake.  What does Lewis’s tenure have to do with Tomlin?  I’m going to ask you the same questions that I asked another poster.  What do you believe are Tomlin’s biggest strengths?  What skills does he possess that are irreplaceable?  I watch a game last week where he makes a decision to kick a FG on 4th and goal from the 1 with the team trailing 20-0 midway in the 3rd and it’s clear to me that he has no plan.  He’s a hell of a guy (I love his personality) and a great motivator but isn’t it important to also be a good gameday strategist?

And for the record, I believe Tomlin was a GREAT hire for the Steelers and I’m extremely grateful for the success that he’s helped bring to this franchise.  I just think it’s time (after the season of course).

They need to get the WR situation sorted this week. I think we can all agree on that and I think anyone with a working brain can tell it’s time to give the young guys their PT whether it’s painful or Ben likes it or not. Moncrief and Switzer made just as costly mistakes today as any rookie/2nd year player would make. I’m also hoping if Eli Rogers is free (thought Miami signed him) he is brought back over Switzer. 

We will see I guess.  Depends on how the season plays out IMO
I think you’re right. I was highly critical of Tomlin at the end of last year but do appreciate his tenure in Pitt. It feels like he’s been on auto pilot these last few years and he looks burnt out. If things go south, Ben is done and we move on to Rudolph it may be a nice pipe dream to get a Lincoln Riley in place.

AB is a great player and certainly missed on the field but no one in that locker room misses him.  The guy is all about himself and worked the system twice to get what he wanted.  

There are a lot of problems right now with this team but Mike Tomlin losing the locker room isn't one of them

If it’s something like Tommy John I can’t see it not being a career ender at his age.
That is definitely possible.  I guess we'll know more after the MRI but I am thinking that even if he doesn't need surgery he's going to be out for a while.

If it’s something like Tommy John I can’t see it not being a career ender at his age.
Hasn’t Ben been hinting at retirement for a few years now?  I have to believe this is the last straw.  Excited to see what Rudolph can do in a full time role.  If he’s not any good, more than likely we’ll have a great draft pick next year and can look for Bens replacement.

Hasn’t Ben been hinting at retirement for a few years now?  I have to believe this is the last straw.  Excited to see what Rudolph can do in a full time role.  If he’s not any good, more than likely we’ll have a great draft pick next year and can look for Bens replacement.
I am excited to see Rudolph but this would be a sad end to the Ben Roethlisberger era.  I hope he is able to go out on his own terms.

Highlights:  Tuitt having his best season.  TJ is a beast.  Nelson has looked good.  Mason looked good in his relief work.  Juju is still great, Dionte had an amazing catch and Washington has showed flashes.

Lowlights:  The offensive line isn't blocking as well as it was last year.  These guys should be a top 3 line.  Moncrief should be flipping burgers by the end of the day.  Chick is missing too many tackles and Edmunds too many coverages.  

I'm almost always an optimistic fan, "that was a bad loss but it will motivate them", "at least the D was able to get sacks and create pressure", "look at the turnovers we generated". This week I feel a tiny glimmer of optimism, but overall I have a resigned feeling that our season is already lost. Anyone watching the first game and the first half of this game could see that Ben couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, except when it came to Moncrief and then he'd just drop it. He looked off, and wasn't on time with any WRs (behind them or 2-3 yards ahead of them on deep balls).

My hope is that this was all due to an injury we didn't know about, and not just because he sucks at this point. If it's a serious elbow injury and he's done for the year, I'm not sure that the team is any worse at this point, honestly. The first half of the Seahawks game our offense looked anemic. We couldn't move the ball at all and every throw was a check down. When Rudolph came in our offense finally showed signs of life. The pocket somehow solidified enough for him to get passes away and the run game came alive. A lot of people are trashing Conner, but the play calling completely changed when Samuels came in. Conner was given the ball and told to run right up the middle over and over, or passed the ball at the line of scrimmage with defenders already all over him. Samuels was give the ball in space and run outside the tackles, it was no wonder that he was able to get more yardage. 

I'm not sure what happened to our defense halfway through the game, but the only thing I can think of was that we didn't change our style at all at half to match theirs. We were blitzing and getting pressure and sacks, then we stopped pressuring Wilson after he was able to utilize quick passes with our coverage 10 yards down field. 

If Ben is out I think we start the Season 1-4, and if he's in I think we start 0-5. Our offense isn't innovative at all and our D doesn't seem to be able to adapt mid-game. Our coaching is timid (punted down 2 scores with 6 min left) and it almost worked out this game, but we really don't go for the jugular which all the successful teams in the NFL do. 

I've never been on the bandwagon against Tomlin, and I've always argued, Who's better? But if this season slips away and we end with a losing record, I don't care if it's without Ben, we need to move on. I just hope we don't go from Tomlin to an unimaginative, defensive minded coach that thinks of the 90's as heyday NFL. We need an innovator, I just have 0 clue who that is. 

I'm almost always an optimistic fan, "that was a bad loss but it will motivate them", "at least the D was able to get sacks and create pressure", "look at the turnovers we generated". This week I feel a tiny glimmer of optimism, but overall I have a resigned feeling that our season is already lost. Anyone watching the first game and the first half of this game could see that Ben couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, except when it came to Moncrief and then he'd just drop it. He looked off, and wasn't on time with any WRs (behind them or 2-3 yards ahead of them on deep balls).

My hope is that this was all due to an injury we didn't know about, and not just because he sucks at this point. If it's a serious elbow injury and he's done for the year, I'm not sure that the team is any worse at this point, honestly. The first half of the Seahawks game our offense looked anemic. We couldn't move the ball at all and every throw was a check down. When Rudolph came in our offense finally showed signs of life. The pocket somehow solidified enough for him to get passes away and the run game came alive. A lot of people are trashing Conner, but the play calling completely changed when Samuels came in. Conner was given the ball and told to run right up the middle over and over, or passed the ball at the line of scrimmage with defenders already all over him. Samuels was give the ball in space and run outside the tackles, it was no wonder that he was able to get more yardage. 

I'm not sure what happened to our defense halfway through the game, but the only thing I can think of was that we didn't change our style at all at half to match theirs. We were blitzing and getting pressure and sacks, then we stopped pressuring Wilson after he was able to utilize quick passes with our coverage 10 yards down field. 

If Ben is out I think we start the Season 1-4, and if he's in I think we start 0-5. Our offense isn't innovative at all and our D doesn't seem to be able to adapt mid-game. Our coaching is timid (punted down 2 scores with 6 min left) and it almost worked out this game, but we really don't go for the jugular which all the successful teams in the NFL do. 

I've never been on the bandwagon against Tomlin, and I've always argued, Who's better? But if this season slips away and we end with a losing record, I don't care if it's without Ben, we need to move on. I just hope we don't go from Tomlin to an unimaginative, defensive minded coach that thinks of the 90's as heyday NFL. We need an innovator, I just have 0 clue who that is. 
I don't blame you for being pessimistic about this team and I agree with many of your points.   

Obviously last season was a disappointment and people are quick to point out that a team that was rolling right along at 7-2-1 stumbled down the stretch  by going 2-4 and missing the playoffs.   What a lot of people forget is that team started 1-2-1 and then went on a 6 game winning streak.   

My point is that while things look bleak now we are still only 2 games into the season and there is a lot of football to be played.  Let's see how it plays out week-by-week.  If the season is a total disaster I have no problem with getting rid of Tomlin although I don't think the Rooney's will fire him in any case.

Let the Mason Rudolph era begin.  

In all honesty, he looked better in 1/2+ than Ben did in 1 1/2.  

Cut Moncreif.  Resign Eli.  Add a ww QB.

Beat 9ers.

Alright. So we know where we are. We’re not going to win the Super Bowl, we’re probably not going to the playoffs. Most likely it’s a rebuilding year. 

And that’s ok. Not great but ok. The defense is pretty young (but also pretty talented I think) and we’ll learn who we want to keep. And we’ll find out about Mason Rudolph, see if he’s the real deal. He looked good yesterday. 

Alright. So we know where we are. We’re not going to win the Super Bowl, we’re probably not going to the playoffs. Most likely it’s a rebuilding year. 

And that’s ok. Not great but ok. The defense is pretty young (but also pretty talented I think) and we’ll learn who we want to keep. And we’ll find out about Mason Rudolph, see if he’s the real deal. He looked good yesterday. 
if Rudolph plays very well then would want Ben back as a starter? if he plays poorly they could be in a position to draft a QB high and have him sit behind Ben for a year

Forget trading for Minka now. Don't want to give up future draft assets that should be good so we can see Keith Butler have no idea how to use this guy. 
Kind of agree.  I'd still go for him at a reasonable price.  

He's not a vet, he's a young asset and as good as anything we'd likely get in the second round.  So while I'd spend less, I wouldn't write it off completely.

With Big Ben out, I know we're going to resign Landry Jones (assuming he doesn't want to be in the XFL) but I think we should just move up Hodges. See how the two young QBs do.

Also, I honestly feel better having Rudolph out there than what Ben looked like with his bum elbow. Don't think we're a playoff team at this point, but we'll see how the team rallies. No excuses, this team still has talent and should be able to compete for the AFC North. I think I'm in the minority, but I think that the Ravens are a mirage and that when they finally face a talented team they will crumble. And I don't think that Lamar lasts 16 games if he runs around the whole time. 

If Ben is truly done, but doesn't retire then we'd have to cut him and pay him $25 mil next year instead of $21 mil. We would save $15 mil overall for the cap but wouldn't really see that until 2021.  Not sure if this surgery is something he can bounce back from and be 100% next year. 

With Big Ben out, I know we're going to resign Landry Jones (assuming he doesn't want to be in the XFL) but I think we should just move up Hodges. See how the two young QBs do.

Also, I honestly feel better having Rudolph out there than what Ben looked like with his bum elbow. Don't think we're a playoff team at this point, but we'll see how the team rallies. No excuses, this team still has talent and should be able to compete for the AFC North. I think I'm in the minority, but I think that the Ravens are a mirage and that when they finally face a talented team they will crumble. And I don't think that Lamar lasts 16 games if he runs around the whole time. 
I REALLY doubt they'll roll with Hodges as a #2 for more than a week.   They are going to bring in a veteran.  Jones makes the most sense but it might be someone else...

I can't think of a QB out there on the market worth a shot at starting QB.  I mean Jay Cutler no ####### thanks.  Kapernick not really.   Listen the organization have danced around this "what if Ben isn't our QB anymore" for years and years so now they need to see what they get with Rudolph for the future.   if he sucks then we draft a QB high next year.  I know Steelers don't want to hear about it but it is time to worry about the future not the current year.  

And before someone says it:  I DON'T MEAN TANKING 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread