What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miami Players Are Revolting. (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
No, really.

The Miami Herald reports Dolphins players "would revolt" if the team traded LT Laremy Tunsil.

Reporter Adam Beasley's report is via a "well-placed" source. "The backlash would be amazing," the source said. "Guys would legit revolt." The Herald has previously reported that the Dolphins have turned down overtures for Tunsil, who is only 25 and under team control for two more seasons. The Texans have been one rumored possibility. The Dolphins are tanking, but there are always other considerations at play.

No, not really at all.  Nothing there says they are revolting.  It says they would revolt (pretty clearly too) if Tunsil was traded for Clowney, which is understandable since that would be moronic.  

This thread = Fake news.

ETA - I think the pun/sarcasm went over my head.  My bad!  They certainly are a revolting crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami should trade him then. If the players really revolted there isn't much downside for Miami given their obvious tank. 

Arguably the best player on the roster. 24, and under team control for 2 years. 

They should trade him to Houston. 
According to a writer for the Miami Herald, the Texans offered both Clowney and a 2020 1st for Tunsil. I think they'd be nuts not to accept that. Clowney is only a little older than Tunsil, and plays an equally valuable position, and an extra 2020 1st is a pretty huge asset.

According to a writer for the Miami Herald, the Texans offered both Clowney and a 2020 1st for Tunsil. I think they'd be nuts not to accept that. Clowney is only a little older than Tunsil, and plays an equally valuable position, and an extra 2020 1st is a pretty huge asset.
:jawdrop:

i cant believe they turned that down. 

:jawdrop:

i cant believe they turned that down. 
I wonder how desperate Houston is for o-line help. Tytus Howard by all accounts had a very rough camp, and has been moved to Guard. They are currently starting Matt Kalil at LT, which hasn't been a good idea since about 2015.

The Texans have no GM, so the HC is calling the shots, meaning there is likely extra incentive to winning now, as a coach is less likely to take a long view versus a GM. Also they are in a window with Watson still on his rookie deal. 

Its possible the offer gets even bigger. Maybe Clowney, 2020 1st, and 2020 3rd or something like that. Hell, maybe they'd throw in a utility piece, like a Keke Coutee if Miami is lucky. Maybe Miami can dump off another contract, like Kenny Stills, or Kiko Alonso. I know that is starting to get into Madden territory, but it kinda sounds like various packages are on the table, and Miami is calling the shots here. 

Clowney seems almost certain to not play for Houston, and Miami has no need to deal Tunsil, so I expect this to be a lopsided trade favoring Miami, simply because it has to be. 

ETA: The Redskins should be calling Houston about Trent Williams. If they are truly desperate for a LT, they might give up a ton for him too, even though he's 5-6 years older than Tunsil. The Redskins should be extra motivated, because it seems like Williams is pretty dead-set on never playing for them again, and its not an issue that likely is solved by more money.  A defensive front with Clowney, added to Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne and Allen could be the best in the NFL.

PFT also reporting that want another high round pick thrown in.

According to a writer for the Miami Herald, the Texans offered both Clowney and a 2020 1st for Tunsil. I think they'd be nuts not to accept that.
Elite LT is worth more. Arguably 2nd team MVP (note P for player, so exclude coach, GM and owner from what I'm about to say) when you have an elite franchise right-handed QB.

Can they really trust Clowny with the ridiculous contract it would take to sign him long term? From my couch, I wouldn't trust his work ethic, nor (especially) his health, anywhere near the guaranteed contract he wants.

The contacts, relative ages/health and positions make this more complicated under the surface, than it might appear above.

Elite LT is worth more. Arguably 2nd team MVP (note P for player, so exclude coach, GM and owner from what I'm about to say) when you have an elite franchise right-handed QB.

Can they really trust Clowny with the ridiculous contract it would take to sign him long term? From my couch, I wouldn't trust his work ethic, nor (especially) his health, anywhere near the guaranteed contract he wants.

The contacts, relative ages/health and positions make this more complicated under the surface, than it might appear above.
Plus, the Dolphins couldn't even sign Clowney to an extension until after the season is over. That's a very risky position to be in, especially if the Dolphins are as bad as everyone thinks they'll be.

One year rental of Clowney plus a 1st isn't enough for a tanking team to give up one of their cost controlled assets. If Tunsil was on his 2nd contract and his salary cap hit was high then he'd have been been traded already.  HOU will either need to add another pick or take on some salary dump players from MIA methinks. 

Couple of things...

Just the fact that Rosen couldn’t beat Fitz for the job coming out of camp means they’ll be in the QB hunt in 2020.  They haven’t seen what they were hoping to see.

So if they tank in 2019, that means next off-season is the one Tunsil wants his FA contract.  Dolphins have picked up 5th year option, but they’d be faced with either an 8-figure cap charge or a long term deal for Tunsil that isn’t ‘cost-controlled’.  Keeping Tunsil makes sense, but entertaining a trade that nets you Clowney/a 1st and potentially something else does too.  Decent chance they could impress Clowney enough with their rebuilding plan to get him long term.  If not, they get the 3rd round comp pick in 2021.

Top 5 positions to build around

1) QB

2) LT

3) Dominant pass rushing DE

4) Shutdown CB

5) Elite WR

Dolphins have 2 of the 5 in Tunsil and Howard. 

They are not trading him. They need to get the other three to have snow balls of a chance to compete again along with a ton of other positional needs. It is a #### show down here. We have a long while before we compete. Trading your bookend LT is stupidity. Especially for an underachieving oft injured DE. If we can send over a WR or RB plus a 2nd rounder.....all for it.

Not Tunsil though.

Plus, the Dolphins couldn't even sign Clowney to an extension until after the season is over. That's a very risky position to be in, especially if the Dolphins are as bad as everyone thinks they'll be.
Oh...they are going to stink like dead fish on the shoreline. 

Tunsil is nowhere near an elite LT though. He's basically been just an ok starter. Sure, he likely hasn't hit his ceiling yet, but is he even a top-20 OT in the league? He's also coming up on a huge raise next year, to over 10 million. Clowney is much better at his position than Tunsil is at his, and could be franchised next year. Plus a 1st rounder(which could be the most valuable thing since Miami is years from contending), and another high pick, and I really don't see the problem. I would guess Miami knows they have something Houston wants and is going to squeeze them for every penny. 

I thought I read Clowney doesn’t want to go to Miami and hadn’t signed his tender.  So it’ll be difficult to deal him there if he’s willing to sit out and have a little more say in where he goes... that’s if I read that blurb correctly the other day.  

Well the deadline for extending Clowney has already passed so if he was traded he would have to play under the Franchise Tag which he is not willing to do in Houston. Why would he be willing to do that in Miami? I could see him going the same route as Bell and sitting out the entire season and putting himself on the market next offseason - if you remember there was a ton of speculation he would sit out his junior year to preserve his health and draft status. He ended up playing but half-assed it.

Even if he was willing to play under the tag Miami would then need to worry about re-signing him or tagging him again next offseason. Tunsill is under his rookie contract for two more years.

Well the deadline for extending Clowney has already passed so if he was traded he would have to play under the Franchise Tag which he is not willing to do in Houston. Why would he be willing to do that in Miami? I could see him going the same route as Bell and sitting out the entire season and putting himself on the market next offseason - if you remember there was a ton of speculation he would sit out his junior year to preserve his health and draft status. He ended up playing but half-assed it.

Even if he was willing to play under the tag Miami would then need to worry about re-signing him or tagging him again next offseason. Tunsill is under his rookie contract for two more years.
I could be remembering this wrong, but Bell didn't put himself back on the market after sitting out. The Steelers allowed him to go on the market, because they wanted to be done with the headache after Conner stepped up. They still could have tagged him if they had wanted, since he hadn't signed, it wouldn't count as being tagged 2 years in a row.

So Clowney's rights if he sits out, would still belong to whomever's roster he was on, whether it be Houston, or Miami, o whomever.

Also, isn't part of Clowney's issue with the tag is that Houston tagged him as a LB, which is 2 million less than a DE. Which he has a good point about(its silly that in 2019 these designations still exist, just call them edge defenders) but if Miami were to pay him that extra 2 million, maybe that solves his holdout issue? They(and Houston) can certainly afford to.

travdogg said:
I wonder how desperate Houston is for o-line help. Tytus Howard by all accounts had a very rough camp, and has been moved to Guard. They are currently starting Matt Kalil at LT, which hasn't been a good idea since about 2015.

The Texans have no GM, so the HC is calling the shots, meaning there is likely extra incentive to winning now, as a coach is less likely to take a long view versus a GM. Also they are in a window with Watson still on his rookie deal. 

Its possible the offer gets even bigger. Maybe Clowney, 2020 1st, and 2020 3rd or something like that. Hell, maybe they'd throw in a utility piece, like a Keke Coutee if Miami is lucky. Maybe Miami can dump off another contract, like Kenny Stills, or Kiko Alonso. I know that is starting to get into Madden territory, but it kinda sounds like various packages are on the table, and Miami is calling the shots here. 

Clowney seems almost certain to not play for Houston, and Miami has no need to deal Tunsil, so I expect this to be a lopsided trade favoring Miami, simply because it has to be. 

ETA: The Redskins should be calling Houston about Trent Williams. If they are truly desperate for a LT, they might give up a ton for him too, even though he's 5-6 years older than Tunsil. The Redskins should be extra motivated, because it seems like Williams is pretty dead-set on never playing for them again, and its not an issue that likely is solved by more money.  A defensive front with Clowney, added to Kerrigan, Sweat, Payne and Allen could be the best in the NFL.
IIRC from an article, the Texans can't trade their 2020 3rd or their 4th because of the conditional nature of Duke Johnson's deal. A salary dump to Houston would make sense if Miami is interested, Houston has a ton of cap space.

FWIW the Redskins have said no way on trading Trent Williams but supposedly the Dolphins have said the same about Tunesil.

travdogg said:
So Clowney's rights if he sits out, would still belong to whomever's roster he was on, whether it be Houston, or Miami, o whomever.
Sure if they wanted to tag him again after sitting out all season because he didn't want to be tagged. That then holds them hostage as they have a $20MM hold on their cap for him until he signs.

And if he's willing to play for the $2MM extra (if tagged as DE instead of LB), I guess that is a possible solution. It's still a risk of losing him next offseason though.

Welp  :shrug:

The Houston Chronicle reports unsigned Texans franchise player Jadeveon Clowney is "adamant" that he does not want to be traded to Miami.

Clowney holds all the cards, as a deal can't happen without him first signing the tag. Clowney is trying to force his way to a contender, reportedly either Philadelphia or Seattle. It's a major blow for the Texans, who covet Dolphins LT Laremy Tunsil.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Blockbuster: The #Dolphins are trading franchise LT Laremy Tunsil and WR Kenny Stills to the #Texans in exchange for a huge package of picks, including a first-rounder, sources tell me,

@MikeGarafolo

, and

@TomPelissero

. The moves are contingent on players passing physicals.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Blockbuster: The #Dolphins are trading franchise LT Laremy Tunsil and WR Kenny Stills to the #Texans in exchange for a huge package of picks, including a first-rounder, sources tell me,

@MikeGarafolo

, and

@TomPelissero

. The moves are contingent on players passing physicals.
Somebody needs to take O'Brien's keys away, he's clearly drunk. Texans might not even have a draft next year. 

Somebody needs to take O'Brien's keys away, he's clearly drunk. Texans might not even have a draft next year. 
Basically me in my dynasty league after trading 3/5 of 2020 & my 2021 1st & getting Boyd, Duke Johnson & KeeSean Johnson. :lol:  

• Thinking
Reactions: -X-

Users who are viewing this thread