What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(Acting) Director of National Intelligence Testimony Thread (1 Viewer)

Rep. Heck: "Is it ok for a president to pressure a foreign government for help to win an election."

Maguire: "It is unwarranted. It is unwelcome. It is bad for the nation."

These are all words that tell the public the President is a bad man.

Adam Schiff‏ @RepAdamSchiff 6m6 minutes ago

Maguire received an urgent and credible whistleblower complaint directly implicating the President.

He didn't provide it to Congress as required. He consulted the White House, the subject of the complaint.

The same WH the complaint alleges sought to conceal Trump's misconduct.

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1177243925624610821
He’s tweeting this during the hearing? 

Rep. Heck: "Is it ok for a president to pressure a foreign government for help to win an election."

Maguire: "It is unwarranted. It is unwelcome. It is bad for the nation."

These are all words that tell the public the President is a bad man.
One argument I’m hearing more and more: ok this is really bad behavior but not bad enough to remove him. 

Before I saw that whistleblower report I would have thought this would be the ultimate argument of guys like Romney and Sasse. But not if there was the coverup that is reported. 

Maguire received an urgent and credible whistleblower complaint directly implicating the President.

He didn't provide it to Congress as required. He consulted the White House, the subject of the complaint.

He explained it over and over. He was not required to turn it over and took steps to have it addressed. He came across as honest and a good person. Schiff is a hack.

I am thinking maybe he has people who handle some of these things.

I don't have people to do this, which is why I don't tweet much.
The speed of this stuff makes me uncomfortable. Like in the Democratic debates when somebody makes a memorable point, and ten minutes later there’s a tee shirt for sale. 

Not that it matters, but I don't have a problem with how DNI Maguire handled this - 4 days into the job.

I think it was wrong to withhold the information from Congress - but I think he took appropriate steps to ensure he was acting within the law.  I blame DOJ, OLC, and the White House for trying to cover this up.
yeah, I totally agree.  What a #### storm to walk into when you just start a job.  

He explained it over and over. He was not required to turn it over and took steps to have it addressed. He came across as honest and a good person. Schiff is a hack.
This whole debate is really minor and I doubt anyone cares at this point. The question of how the White House and DOJ responded to the report- that’s the important part. 

delete the last sentence - and this is a good post.

Schiff's beef here is not really with Maguire - he is painting a picture - color by numbers if you like - that the Executive Branch is corrupt.  Maguire is not evil - but he did ask the White House and DOJ if he should turn over a complaint that alleges wrong-doing by the White House (not just Trump) and DOJ.  Surely you can see why that might look bad - and why the Dems want to hammer that point.

:goodposting:  He couldn't have been any more clear and yet Schiff must have asked him the same question 10 times.  Schiff is not very bright or is just having a horrible day.

this guy was trying to find someone above him in the chain of command to make the call on what to do with the complaint. the problem is those people he went to were the WH/DOJ

I actually agree with this. But 90% of public hearings go on this way because each of these guys want their spotlight on television. 

And yet there is no better way to get the truth out. 
Not that this part is an investigation and that there isn't some truth to them all wanting their chance.  But Questions typically get asked many times in many different ways and then answers compared for consistency and clarification.

Not that this part is an investigation and that there isn't some truth to them all wanting their chance.  But Questions typically get asked many times in many different ways and then answers compared for consistency and clarification.
And he was quite clear over and over. He was consistent and clear.

I wish Schiff wasn’t claiming McGuire “didn’t provide” the whistle blower complaint “as required” by statute. McGuire received reasonable advice  that because the President is not part of the intelligence community, the complaint was not subject to statutory disclosure. 

Dems can still argue that the WH and DOJ sought to hide the complaint without impugning McGuire, and I don’t see how it helps them to demonize him. 

This invokes my first rule of cross-examining a cop: “don’t accuse the cop of wrongdoing if you don’t need to.”  Most members of the jury will tune you out if you do. 

What did I learn today?  This committee leadership is weak and need of severe overhaul...Schiff and Nunes are cut from the same cloth and mediocre at best.  Nunes is completely lost in any point he's attempting to make...really bad.  Schiff is foregoing substance to get that talking point by any means necessary and off putting.  It's clear he was only interested in trying to get the DNI to conform to his narrative and to the DNI's credit, he wouldn't go there.  He explained why he took the actions he did and why this was (in his view) different from any other whistleblower incident.  If I am being completely honest, I don't understand why the "delay" of a week is that big a deal IF the DNI was doing what he said he was doing during that week.

What did I learn today?  This committee leadership is weak and need of severe overhaul...Schiff and Nunes are cut from the same cloth and mediocre at best.  Nunes is completely lost in any point he's attempting to make...really bad.  Schiff is foregoing substance to get that talking point by any means necessary and off putting.  It's clear he was only interested in trying to get the DNI to conform to his narrative and to the DNI's credit, he wouldn't go there.  He explained why he took the actions he did and why this was (in his view) different from any other whistleblower incident.  If I am being completely honest, I don't understand why the "delay" of a week is that big a deal IF the DNI was doing what he said he was doing during that week.
Not bad - but I think lost in the analysis is that we would not be here today if Schiff had not pushed this forcefully - and with subpoena.

Maguire is a good egg.  He was/is caught between a rock and a hard place here.  The real culprits are the OLC, DOJ and White House who were trying to figure out how to keep this from congress.  The IG recognized that, and is why he came forward when he did to even say the complaint existed.  Absent that - we are none the wiser.

SO, Schiff is just painting a picture of a corrupt Executive Branch - complaint alleges wrong doing by President and Barr - and you go to them to ask if you should turn it over?  Its a legit inquiry.  (And I really like Maguire, and have no problem with the steps he took)

Not bad - but I think lost in the analysis is that we would not be here today if Schiff had not pushed this forcefully - and with subpoena.

Maguire is a good egg.  He was/is caught between a rock and a hard place here.  The real culprits are the OLC, DOJ and White House who were trying to figure out how to keep this from congress.  The IG recognized that, and is why he came forward when he did to even say the complaint existed.  Absent that - we are none the wiser.

SO, Schiff is just painting a picture of a corrupt Executive Branch - complaint alleges wrong doing by President and Barr - and you go to them to ask if you should turn it over?  Its a legit inquiry.  (And I really like Maguire, and have no problem with the steps he took)
I suspect this is what Schiff was/is trying to do.  His approach/performance today didn't do him any favors in that regard.  I agree 100% with the bold, but instead of Schiff simply coming out and saying this and explaining this is where he's trying to go, people can now focus on the "badgering" he was doing trying to get Maguire to say it for him.  I even think that "you go to them to ask if you should turn it over" is disingenuous.  He went to the WH to validate that he wasn't breaching executive privilege.  We have to look at this from Maguire's perspective.  If it were me, I'd want to make sure that my actions weren't ones where information would be ruled inadmissible at any point in the future.  To me, this is a signal of how serious the allegation is and that Maguire understands that and doesn't want to screw it up.

Rep. Swalwell:

"The first people that you go to after you read that allegation are the W.H. lawyers who are telling the W.H. officials who see this transcript and move it into a secret compartmentalized system... Is that yes or no?"

Acting DNI Maguire:

"Yes."
That was my take, WH counsel found a way to take it outside the legally designated process.

I hope this does not turn into the same grandstanding that always seems to detract from right/wrong (on both sides of issues). If the Dems try to turn a slam dunk into a 360 - jump from the free throw line moment, it's not in their interest to do that. No one really likes that as much as they seem to think. 

“The horse has left the barn.”  They have all the documents and complaint- which undercuts the idea that something is being covered up.  They kept pushing Maguire for the soundbite.  

Adam Schiff is a partisan hack.  Amazing that this guy can put on pants and do this everyday.  The clown prince of the collusion hoax with yet another dud.

“The horse has left the barn.”  They have all the documents and complaint- which undercuts the idea that something is being covered up.  They kept pushing Maguire for the soundbite.  

Adam Schiff is a partisan hack.  Amazing that this guy can put on pants and do this everyday.  The clown prince of the collusion hoax with yet another dud.
lol

What’s the attack line on the whistleblower complaint? Better have some good material to take that person down.

The stuff in that report should in any normal world be enough to get rid of the orange one.

What’s the attack line on the whistleblower complaint? Better have some good material to take that person down.

The stuff in that report should in any normal world be enough to get rid of the orange one.
Even Trump is running scared on this - calling Pelosi looking for her to call off the impeachment inquiry.  He knows this just opens the door to some pretty squirrelly stuff.

Even Trump is running scared on this - calling Pelosi looking for her to call off the impeachment inquiry.  He knows this just opens the door to some pretty squirrelly stuff.
Have been busy this morn so haven’t been able to keep up.

If he’s calling Pelosi for help he is up ####’s creek.

And a quick hop online has me finding Trump calling the whistleblower “almost a spy”.

Good grief. #### this guy already. There’s no bottom,

And a quick hop online has me finding Trump calling the whistleblower “almost a spy”.

Good grief. #### this guy already. There’s no bottom,
To be fair, I think the more accurate reporting has Trump calling the person who leaked information to the whistleblower a spy - who should be dealt with like the old days.

So - to recap - he does not want to kill the whistleblower - but would like to kill the person(s) who leaked info to whistleblower.

To be fair, I think the more accurate reporting has Trump calling the person who leaked information to the whistleblower a spy - who should be dealt with like the old days.

So - to recap - he does not want to kill the whistleblower - but would like to kill the person(s) who leaked info to whistleblower.
I stand corrected. Yes, anyone who documented Trump’s traitor schtick and anyone who reports on this are spies.

Can’t get rid of this guy fast enough. 

randall146 said:
I wish Schiff wasn’t claiming McGuire “didn’t provide” the whistle blower complaint “as required” by statute. McGuire received reasonable advice  that because the President is not part of the intelligence community, the complaint was not subject to statutory disclosure. 

Dems can still argue that the WH and DOJ sought to hide the complaint without impugning McGuire, and I don’t see how it helps them to demonize him. 

This invokes my first rule of cross-examining a cop: “don’t accuse the cop of wrongdoing if you don’t need to.”  Most members of the jury will tune you out if you do. 
Yes to all of this. I’d take it a step further and say that, if the facts and the cop permits, you use that cop as your own expert witness if you can. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread