What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (5 Viewers)

@frank_seravalli: Why did #bolts trade first round picks for Blake Coleman and Barclays Goodrow? It’s all about $$$. Goodrow ($925k) and Coleman ($1.8m) are both signed for next year on cheap deals ahead of another cap crunch summer.

Was very surprised to see Barclay Goodrow fetch a 1st round pick. Guess he's better defensively than I realized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you writing off Kaako already or just hoping for another?

Either way, think it’s very difficult to get that kind of guy when you’re parting with a pending UFA.
Not writing him off - but certainly would have liked to see more this season.  Needs to work on his shot and skating.  We've got Panarin putting up a career year with Strome (who may end up a casualty in this) and Fast who is a better 4th liner than he is a second liner.  This team desperately needs more top end forward talent/production in the immediate future after this "go for it now" move of signing/front loading Kreider.

I agree that we wouldn't have been able to get the player I described for the rental that was Kreider, but the ability to have gotten additional assets that could have been packaged with one of our defensive prospects (where we seem to have concentrated almost all of our organizational depth, namely Lundkvist) is certainly something that would have been worth exploring.  I'm guessing the offers for Kreider were underwhelming enough to justify making all of this work on the backend, but I'm skeptical right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think the Hurricanes did really well here.  Didn't give up all that much and got three guys that should be contributors coming down the stretch.  I'm a bit torn on the Rangers trading Skjei because a) I think he's decent b) he's bff with Trouba and c) they traded him to a team they are supposedly trying to hunt down on a playoff run.  But, they do shed a nice bit of contract and get a first rounder which is a nice yield.  Mixed emotions there.  I really am not buying the DeAngelo career year here.

Isles got a nice piece in Pageu, but that was a pretty steep price to pay for a 3rd line center?  I dunno, if they could have also gotten Parise that would have a been a nice haul for the playoffs.  They have a good team, but not sure they are near good enough to compete for a deep playoff run.

Think the Hurricanes did really well here.  Didn't give up all that much and got three guys that should be contributors coming down the stretch.  I'm a bit torn on the Rangers trading Skjei because a) I think he's decent b) he's bff with Trouba and c) they traded him to a team they are supposedly trying to hunt down on a playoff run.  But, they do shed a nice bit of contract and get a first rounder which is a nice yield.  Mixed emotions there.  I really am not buying the DeAngelo career year here.

Isles got a nice piece in Pageu, but that was a pretty steep price to pay for a 3rd line center?  I dunno, if they could have also gotten Parise that would have a been a nice haul for the playoffs.  They have a good team, but not sure they are near good enough to compete for a deep playoff run.
the eye test on skjei is a non physical, average defender, neglible scorer.  he is due $21mm after this season ends over the next 4, with a modified no trade kicking in.  canes now have 5 dmen under contract next season for over $4mm each and gave up a #1.  now they have a chance to make the WC and face either Boston or the Caps in round 1.  but the playoffs are no guarantee and i'm not sure what their goalie situation is after Saturday.  hajek, rykov, miller or lundqvist will at the very least match skjei, at piles less money.  the pick is likely 15-20 range.

Brilliant day for Gorton

The trade of Skjei now allows them to resign Dangelo, Lemieux, Fast. Buch and Strome. Very solid GMing. 

Dont lose much in Skjei and even though the draft is deep, I can see them trading the pick with Georgie for a forward. 

Should they have gone 7 years, probably not, BUT the money he is making is only about 1.5 more than he is making now. He is a leader and a constant for Zibanejead. it allows the team to see that this is not a throw away year and the lineup next year will essentially be the same. 

Only difference is we have better defensemen coming up. Wouldnt be surprised to see Kandre and Nils playing in the show. 

Im happy with today

Brilliant day for Gorton

The trade of Skjei now allows them to resign Dangelo, Lemieux, Fast. Buch and Strome. Very solid GMing. 

Dont lose much in Skjei and even though the draft is deep, I can see them trading the pick with Georgie for a forward. 

Should they have gone 7 years, probably not, BUT the money he is making is only about 1.5 more than he is making now. He is a leader and a constant for Zibanejead. it allows the team to see that this is not a throw away year and the lineup next year will essentially be the same. 

Only difference is we have better defensemen coming up. Wouldnt be surprised to see Kandre and Nils playing in the show. 

Im happy with today
I believe Nils is RHD, so there's really no place for him on that side.  Their replacement for Skjei is seemingly going to have to come from within, which means we're relying on another Lindgren double from this year at the same position next year.  We're still lacking a top pairing minutes eater at that position.

The cap space is great, but provides just enough breathing room to bring back some RFAs, without much flexibility to actually improve the roster.  I think I said it earlier, but this front office is obviously expecting a continued jump from the young guys this year, with some incoming help from maybe a Kravtsov up front, and the hopeful continued progression of Kakko and Chytil.  Would have to think some reshuffling of assets this summer will net a few fresh faces in the lineup for next season to help inch things forward.  

Like it or not, the extension of Kreider just placed a must make the playoffs next season stamp on this team - so they HAVE to get better than they currently are.  Would like to think the front office made the signing with the anticipation of some if not all of Hank's contract coming off the books this summer.  

I just don't understand what it will finally take for Stan Bowman to get fired. Bad trade after bad trade..................bad contract after bad contract. The only thing he "recouped" was the 2nd round pick that he wasted on the Shaw trade in the off-season. So he is just trying to clean up after his own mess every time. Why won't Rocky Wirtz recognize this and let the clown go? He is running this franchise into the ground with his stupidity time and time again. This has the makings of going back to the early 2000s and a long drought of having any relevance. This was a seller's market, and he couldn't muster a single 1st round pick? He had other players he could have traded to try and sweeten the pot. And why wasn't he knocking on the door at Carolina who just lost their 2 starting goalies. I am sure that they could have given us a bad contract to take on to help with their salary cap crunch, but this idiot continues to have a job. If us normal folk were to perform our jobs like this, we would have been fired 2 years ago. And......nice hire there Stan with the barely-AHL coach Colliton.

OK....rant over.......but a very disappointing trade deadline for the Hawks who got fleeced.

@reporterchris: Jake Muzzin will be out four weeks with a broken hand. A major blow to a battered #leafs blue-line. Calle Rosen has been recalled from the AHL Marlies.

Ranger fans:

As we celebrate the two year anniversary of the letter with a major run at the playoffs (4 out with 3 games in hand), lets take this opportunity to hope that we make it in. Would be awesome for all of the young guys (they are the youngest team in league, so pretty much everyone but Hank, Staal and Smith) to get that taste

But more importantly, I think what we should hope for is Toronto and Carolina to NOT make the playoffs. And on top of that for Toronto to land a top 10 pick and for Carolina to win the lottery so we can draft Lafreniere

We would so be #winning if that happened

And its crazy to think that by not tanking and winning a meaningless game at the end of last year put us here

Ranger fans:

As we celebrate the two year anniversary of the letter with a major run at the playoffs (4 out with 3 games in hand), lets take this opportunity to hope that we make it in. Would be awesome for all of the young guys (they are the youngest team in league, so pretty much everyone but Hank, Staal and Smith) to get that taste

But more importantly, I think what we should hope for is Toronto and Carolina to NOT make the playoffs. And on top of that for Toronto to land a top 10 pick and for Carolina to win the lottery so we can draft Lafreniere

We would so be #winning if that happened

And its crazy to think that by not tanking and winning a meaningless game at the end of last year put us here
Lindgren/Fox our top pairing...who saw that coming?    I'm wearing shades bc the future is bright.

The Lightning turned a 2-0 lead into a 5-2 deficit on their way to a 4th straight loss. Granted, they had won 23 of 26 prior, and I'd rather them struggle now instead of in the playoffs, but it's not fun to see.

Fiala is the best player in franchise history.  Fenton is a misunderstood genius.  I can’t believe you wayward ditchpigs ripped him

@kevindelury: Between the car accident and now the Kreider injury a few days after re-signing him the Rangers are beginning to resemble the Mets. Someone please keep Panarin away from wild boars.

I just don't understand what it will finally take for Stan Bowman to get fired. Bad trade after bad trade..................bad contract after bad contract. The only thing he "recouped" was the 2nd round pick that he wasted on the Shaw trade in the off-season. So he is just trying to clean up after his own mess every time. Why won't Rocky Wirtz recognize this and let the clown go? He is running this franchise into the ground with his stupidity time and time again. This has the makings of going back to the early 2000s and a long drought of having any relevance. This was a seller's market, and he couldn't muster a single 1st round pick? He had other players he could have traded to try and sweeten the pot. And why wasn't he knocking on the door at Carolina who just lost their 2 starting goalies. I am sure that they could have given us a bad contract to take on to help with their salary cap crunch, but this idiot continues to have a job. If us normal folk were to perform our jobs like this, we would have been fired 2 years ago. And......nice hire there Stan with the barely-AHL coach Colliton.

OK....rant over.......but a very disappointing trade deadline for the Hawks who got fleeced.
Well, building a dynasty tends to get you some time. He was a victim of the necessities of a salary cap. Blues are gonna be on the wrong end of it in a few years, too. Could be worse, at least you guys some Cups before it went bad. How do you think Toronto feels?

The Lightning snap their losing streak by beating the Flames, 4-3. It was harder than it should have been, because they gave up 2 goals in about 45 seconds to cut a 3-0 lead to 3-2, and never really pulled away in this one. Vasilevskiy had a rough day, too.

Wings with a savage tank move leaving Nielsen on the bench for a shootout despite being 20+ points behind Ottawa.  that is commitment 

@TomGulittiNHL: Flyers & Rangers on upswing in Metro. Pretty much everyone else is not. 

1. Capitals (3-6-1 in past 10)
2. Flyers (8-2-0/W5)
3. Penguins (3-6-1/L6)
4. Islanders (3-5-2)
5. Blue Jackets (1-4-5)
6. Hurricanes (4-4-2)
7. Rangers (8-2-0)
8. Devils (5-3-2)

Not a good day for the blueshirts to sleep walk through it. Henrik rusty, not really his fault. Stromer not having a day. 

Not out of it, but this would have been a big win. Can always come back but tough hill to climb out of

Not a good day for the blueshirts to sleep walk through it. Henrik rusty, not really his fault. Stromer not having a day. 

Not out of it, but this would have been a big win. Can always come back but tough hill to climb out of
dumb, dumb move by Lemieux to drop his gloves knowing there was no need for Aube-Kubel to give them any momentum. This is definitely a smarter Flyers team than i have seen over the past 10-15 years

dumb, dumb move by Lemieux to drop his gloves knowing there was no need for Aube-Kubel to give them any momentum. This is definitely a smarter Flyers team than i have seen over the past 10-15 years
In defense of Lemieux, he's probably still steamed over this encounter from Friday

@RGilbertSOP: Kevin Hayes laughs at Brendan Lemieux, who then gets chirped mercilessly by Travis Konecny and Scott Laughton. https://twitter.com/RGilbertSOP/status/1233573844759318530/photo/1

could make for a fun 3rd period
Speaking of which, question I asked a couple of Flyers bloggers

@JaxBill10: @charlieo_conn @billmeltzer Hockey etiquette question- Any chance the Rangers pull Hank at 2nd intermission so he's not in there for Goal #6? Not that he has been terrible but he hasn't looked amazing either.

Users who are viewing this thread