What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PBS Shows (1 Viewer)

wikkidpissah

Footballguy
I never start threads here. Except for "Get Likes Here", i think all the threads i've started have been about PBS shows. I started the Downton Abbey thread, which was a success except i didn't like the show after Season 1 so didn't participate for long; I started one on Ken Burns' Country Music and that went OK. I started one on the best series i've seen since Breaking Bad, a Masterpiece cold case mystery show called Unforgotten, and got bupkes. Now there's a new Masterpiece show i love about the contest between Britain's tabloid & legit newspapers called Press, that's as well conceived, written & performed as anything on Netflix, but nowhere to really discuss it without starting a thread that will be ignored. So i thought maybe a clearinghouse thread to get excited about or discuss what's coming up on Austin City Limits or Frontline or Nova or Masterpiece or elsewhere. I've had Netflix for a year & a half now and still find myself getting excited more often about PBS shows like Dictator's Handbook or Jamie Oliver's fabulous new cooking show Quick & Easy Food than anything over there. Whaddya think?

I like it.

I started a "Wolf Hall" thread when that aired, but that did not get too much traction.  I record NOVA and Frontline -- I've thought about starting a thread for those shows in the past, but figured not enough on their own.  In for some discussion of those here.

Anyway, y'all should catch up on and check out this Press. Charlotte Riley (Mrs. Tom Hardy, who you may know from Peaky Blinders or King Charles III) is an investigative reporter for a failing legit paper being recruited by a big tabloid, which focuses the show on the competition between the two worlds. Fantastic cast and the densest plotting & writing i've seen anywhere in quite a while. wikkid say check it -

I have the DVR set to record NOVA.  I usually watch about 70% of them.  Some of them are not interesting to me at all while the others I'm fascinated with.  I assume that's how most people would be with them.  I can't believe their are many people out there that are interested in all of the subjects they cover.

I like it.

I started a "Wolf Hall" thread when that aired, but that did not get too much traction.  I record NOVA and Frontline -- I've thought about starting a thread for those shows in the past, but figured not enough on their own.  In for some discussion of those here.
yeah, see, we woulda been all over Wolf Hall had there been a thread for it. great show - the guy who wrote the books it's based on has written a third so there's hope for a 2nd season sometime

I have the DVR set to record NOVA.  I usually watch about 70% of them.  Some of them are not interesting to me at all while the others I'm fascinated with.  I assume that's how most people would be with them.  I can't believe their are many people out there that are interested in all of the subjects they cover.
NOVA's become hit or miss for me lately but, since the PBS website streams current-season shows, one can point out particularly good eps and folks can catch up once recommended

NOVA's become hit or miss for me lately but, since the PBS website streams current-season shows, one can point out particularly good eps and folks can catch up once recommended
Yeah, they'll have like 4 in a row about something really sciencey cool to me.  Then the 5th episode will be about a remote tribe in Chile that is living atop a mountain while they...  :sleep:

yeah, see, we woulda been all over Wolf Hall had there been a thread for it. great show - the guy who wrote the books it's based on has written a third so there's hope for a 2nd season sometime
The books are great too and I'm looking forward to the next one, but I'm not sure how Hilary Mantel would like being called a "guy."  ;)

and y'all foodies should check out Jamie's Quick & Easy Food on PBS Create. in half & hour, he makes four recipes, each w only 5 ingredients (altho some of those are more Whole Foods or Trader Joe's than local supermarket ingredients) and turns out one-pan meals in less than half an hour that'll knock your socks off. i've tried three or four (i can't make enough of his watermelon granita to keep the peeps happy) and they've all translated to home cooking beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
and y'all foodies should check out Jamie's Quick & Easy Food on PBS Create. in half & hour, he makes four recipes, each w only 5 ingredients (altho some of those are more Whole Foods or Trader Joe's than local supermarket ingredients) and turns out one-pan meals in less than half an hour that'll knock your socks off. i've tried three or four (i can't make enough of his watermelon granita to keep the peeps happy) and they've all translated to home cooking beautifully.
Love watching most of the cooking shows on all of the PBS stations. Shows like:

America's Test Kitchen 

Cook's Country 

Lidia's Kitchen 

Martha Stewart's Cooking School 

A Chef's Life 

Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen

and too many numerous others to name. 

Great TV on a Saturday afternoon when there is no football. 

I only watch when they are having a pledge drive. That way I can prank call all those people you see answering phones in the back.

Life From Above really hit the sweet spot for me,  love stuff like that. I could watch Aerial America from Smithsonian all day long. Four total episodes, ep 1 was last week. 

https://www.pbs.org/show/life-above/
I watched some of that during commercials from basketball -  saw fishermen using otters as hunting dogs. will catch whole eps from now on

ETA: beautifully shot

Love watching most of the cooking shows on all of the PBS stations. Shows like:

America's Test Kitchen 

Cook's Country 

Lidia's Kitchen 

Martha Stewart's Cooking School 

A Chef's Life 

Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen

and too many numerous others to name. 

Great TV on a Saturday afternoon when there is no football. 
PBS is the last refuge of food shows where people actually cook.  The Food Network is mostly game shows now.

PBS is the last refuge of food shows where people actually cook.  The Food Network is mostly game shows now.
PBS totally taught me how to cook. A bachelor most of my life, i knew some New Mexican recipes and that was about it. When my Mary took her first round of chemo, she lost what little interest she had in food (she pretty much lived on canned salmon, Asian takeout & ice cream when she was healthy) and became quite emaciated. After the regimen, i watched for signs of appetite returning and tried to figure out what kind of celebratory meal with which to encourage her. Most people you'd take out to a nice restaurant, but Scary Mary was the type going out to eat with meant $150 in cocktails and wine, two bites of an expensive entree and have it swanned for later.

I wanted something to encourage both health and appetite, so i started watching Frugal Gourmet on PBS for ideas. He made something called Pasta Primavera (this was 30 yrs ago and i still thought of Italian food as variations of spaghetti & meatballs) which seemed perfect. I practiced and it seemed that there wasn't such a thing as too many vegetables in this dish, so kept adding & adding. When Mary starting asking for Haagen Dazs & kung pao again, i knew it was time and, when she had an appointment, i went out to the farmers market and bought a pound of everything, even fresh pasta, and a nice bottle of wine, put on the checkered tablecloth and cooked away.

My Mary was a hard gal, in both good & bad ways, but that made it an extra special thing when she softened. I used to watch her sleep cuz she was 40x more beautiful without all that tension in her face. She was also pretty quick on the uptake so, when she saw the spread i put out & deduced what had gone into it, her Joker grin/wince fell away, her lips and hollow cheeks rounded and flushed. I dished her out a confidant portion, pored a reasonable glass of beaujolais, sat across from her to toast all the good health that this would begin. She came over and sat in my lap (not something a 6'1 gal often does) and alternated sips of wine, kisses and hand-fed veggies she gobbled down like a baby bird. It began the last two healthy, and most happy, years of our life. I watched every show i could and fed my baby back to fullness with something new every week.

I have fond memories of laying in bed with Mrs. Eephus in our pre-children, pre-cable years reading the newspaper and watching the Saturday morning PBS cooking shows.  In defense of progress, live soccer is objectively better viewing but other things were lost along the way.

Jeff Smith's pedophilia charges stopped the Frugal Gourmet in its tracks but I still occasionally refer to his The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook.

I would probably prefer commercial interruptions to pledge breaks where awkwardly unhip studio heads barter Paul Simon and Deepak Chopra merch for your generous donations.

But then again I'm not a viewer like you.

I always liked Tavis Smiley and Charlie Rose. They were excellent interviewers who did their homework with each guest (they weren't just reading questions from index cards that someone else had written). 

Now, unfortunately the image of Charlie walking around stark naked waving Charlie Jr. at the female interns is scorched onto my brain. 

Danger UXB.

Loved that.

And brideshead revisited.

Surprised they haven't reshowm or remade those...unless they stink. But I trust my 12-14yo far more than my current version, so I'll just assume they're still good.

Not taking the piss here...will keep an eye out for Unforgotten and Press.

I watched two minutes of Press last night when the World Series and Packers game were both in commercial.  Those two minutes seemed overly didactic.

I was out with a buddy tonight who was talking about a guy who does a bbq show on pbs. A guy from Texas who makes his own smokers and opened a restaurant. He said I have to look him up. I’m skeptical, but promised to check it out. Do you all use the PBS app, or just browse to the website? 

edit - I’ve answered all my questions.

I think PBS is my most watched station these days - but, I don't watch much TV in general. 

PBS NewsHour is my primary TV news source. I've been on this boat since it was the The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour.  Gwen Ifill is still a sad loss for me. I really liked her and her Washington Week coverage (still watch it with Robert Costa).

As mentioned earlier, NOVA and Frontline are favs of mine.

Also, I need to mention Blackadder - not currently running, but man I loved this series - eh - all of em. Yeah, Rowan Atkinson can be an acquired (or not) taste, but it also introduced me to Hugh Laurie & Miranda Richardson - both top notch.

I am not sure if it all qualifies as "PBS", but our local public broadcast system really introduced me to British comedy in the 70's. Monty Python, Benny Hill, Dave Allen (Irish), etc. were all played on rotation during my formative years. I grew up preferring these guys to most American comedians. I think I am bent to certain degree from it all .. but - oh well.

I think PBS is my most watched station these days - but, I don't watch much TV in general. 

PBS NewsHour is my primary TV news source. I've been on this boat since it was the The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour.  Gwen Ifill is still a sad loss for me. I really liked her and her Washington Week coverage (still watch it with Robert Costa).

As mentioned earlier, NOVA and Frontline are favs of mine.

Also, I need to mention Blackadder - not currently running, but man I loved this series - eh - all of em. Yeah, Rowan Atkinson can be an acquired (or not) taste, but it also introduced me to Hugh Laurie & Miranda Richardson - both top notch.

I am not sure if it all qualifies as "PBS", but our local public broadcast system really introduced me to British comedy in the 70's. Monty Python, Benny Hill, Dave Allen (Irish), etc. were all played on rotation during my formative years. I grew up preferring these guys to most American comedians. I think I am bent to certain degree from it all .. but - oh well.
i miss Gwen Ifill, too - the best anchor i ever saw. One could tell what her politics were, but it made her almost over-rigorous in making sure the whole story got told.

i miss Gwen Ifill, too - the best anchor i ever saw. One could tell what her politics were, but it made her almost over-rigorous in making sure the whole story got told.
Exactly. 

That is true "fair & balanced". I can handle an anchor with a position, if the work remains quality. Her's was the best. :hifive:

Great Performances: Red is premiering on my local PBS right now. 

Experience the passion of painter Mark Rothko in this six-time Tony-winning play dramatizing Rothko’s greatest challenge, creating the murals for New York’s iconic Four Seasons restaurant. Stars Alfred Molina with Alfred Enoch as Rothko’s assistant.
Very good so far.

EDIT: 2 thumbs up after full watch. Also, there is Rothko: Pictures Must Be Miraculous available at the same link. It is a documentary on Rothko that expires on the 22nd of this month. It was very good too.

Fell asleep to the Rothko play, tho that probably says more about old-man me trying to watch anything that begins @ midnight now. Something about video captures of legit plays that underlines the fake-declarative nature of their construction which doesnt play that way live.
LOL.

Yeah, I understand.

I fell asleep on the AI Frontline, but finished it this morning.

IRT to Red ... the rage and anger were on full display. The intensity of it was captivating to me. The doc gave a better perspective to Roth as a person imo. I do agree on the live vs. video versions. If they ever play near me, I'll buy tickets.

LOL.

Yeah, I understand.

I fell asleep on the AI Frontline, but finished it this morning.

IRT to Red ... the rage and anger were on full display. The intensity of it was captivating to me. The doc gave a better perspective to Roth as a person imo. I do agree on the live vs. video versions. If they ever play near me, I'll buy tickets.
Alfred Molina is one of our best stage actors and a genuinely funny guy. Check out youtube clips of him on his ol pal Craig Ferguson's show. Rothko aint his first painter neither, he was great as Diego Rivera in Frida.

Beautiful.
Thank you. My Mary was a hard gal cuz she'd had a hard life, so was suspicious of any kindness. When she was healthy, she'd accuse me of ulterior motive any time i was kind or solicitous toward her. The desperations of cancer made her need whatever she could get, however, and it was perverse pleasure to push past those defenses to nurture the scared little girl inside her.

Alfred Molina is one of our best stage actors and a genuinely funny guy. Check out youtube clips of him on his ol pal Craig Ferguson's show. Rothko aint his first painter neither, he was great as Diego Rivera in Frida.
Molina was a part of the doc also, reading Rothko quotes in character. Added much.

Ferguson was the last "late nigh"t show that I watched regularly - Imma big fan.

Finally, I am embarrassed to say, I have not seen Frida yet. I'll need to do a search and see where it is available.

Finally, I am embarrassed to say, I have not seen Frida yet. I'll need to do a search and see where it is available.
Not a great flick, but really resonant as a passion project (the same way Dolemite tapped the "loooove" in Eddie Murphy) for Salma Hayek. Not only is Kahlo iconic to Mexican women but for a woman who celebrated her ugliest elements the most to be portrayed by the most beautiful Chicana was quite a thing.

Molina and Ferguson cutting up

Not a great flick, but really resonant as a passion project (the same way Dolemite tapped the "loooove" in Eddie Murphy) for Salma Hayek. Not only is Kahlo iconic to Mexican women but for a woman who celebrated her ugliest elements the most to be portrayed by the most beautiful Chicana was quite a thing.

Molina and Ferguson cutting up
Great clip. I had not seen it b4. It highlights what drew me to Ferg; a Python-esque absurdity.

IRT to the importance of "prep" we agreed on in "mocking" things - I still love improv when done well. This has some great ad-libs.

That's the smallest part I've ever seen.
At least I think that was Al on-the-spot.

And, the clip also reminds me why I left "late-night" after Ferg left ... not enough Immanuel Kant jokes.

The NOVA of the self driving cars (Look Who's Driving Now) was much better than I was expecting.  I almost deleted it without watching.  Glad I didn't.  Although I could've done without seeing the woman killed and the reaction of the woman who was behind the wheel at the time.  Over and over.  

The Violence Paradox is beginning now on my PBS (Eastern whatever time) - it looks promising.

EDIT: NOVA - it's a repeat.
This was well worth the watch.

Despite the constant news of violence, from mass shootings to wars, psychologist Steven Pinker believes we may be living in one of the most peaceful periods in human existence. Could it be true that physical violence has been in decline for centuries? And can it be prevented—or is it simply part of human nature? NOVA takes you on a journey through history and the human mind to explore what triggers violence and how it may have decreased over time. Taking clues from a Kenyan archaeology site, modern laboratory experiments, and even literature, researchers trace the social and neurobiological roots of human violence. They look at how forces like income equality and personal contact may curb violence in modern societies. And in places like Baltimore, where violence “interrupters” treat violence like a contagious disease, NOVA examines evidence-based approaches to making the world more peaceful. (Premiered November 20, 2019)
I personally enjoyed the first half most. And, I would have liked to have seen the data better, as some of the quicker conclusive statements did not seem proven yet. To be fair, in order to keep things on time and watchable, lots of stuff can't be covered in depth. I wish it was a 2 part series, to expand upon more of the neuroscience.

It also touches upon some topics that are quite horrifying in a way. In one experiment, they "turn on" aggressiveness in a mouse and allow it to physically attack another ... until they "turn it off". While the lab violence is uncomfortable, the implications for potential abuse (if developed further) is much worse, imo.

This was well worth the watch.

I personally enjoyed the first half most. And, I would have liked to have seen the data better, as some of the quicker conclusive statements did not seem proven yet. To be fair, in order to keep things on time and watchable, lots of stuff can't be covered in depth. I wish it was a 2 part series, to expand upon more of the neuroscience.

It also touches upon some topics that are quite horrifying in a way. In one experiment, they "turn on" aggressiveness in a mouse and allow it to physically attack another ... until they "turn it off". While the lab violence is uncomfortable, the implications for potential abuse (if developed further) is much worse, imo.
More telling is the one from over 40 yrs ago where mice in an electrified cage become trained to expect a painful level of current under their feet at regular intervals. When two mice expecting to be zapped are put in a cage together, they will immediately begin to fight like those in the Violence Paradox at the time they expect the charge.

Stephen Pinker, one of the talking heads in this, has helped to collate, codify and popularize a lot of the behavioral neuroscience, but the field has yet to be blessed with the right guiding force to make a big leap in decoding personality. Brain science appears to be a field with a dramatically higher percentage of female researchers than most - how that affects the yield remains to be seen.

PBS recently aired the documentary "The Inn at Little Washington: A Delicious Documentary."  A lot of the drama in the documentary is around their quest for a third Michelin star and preparation for the restaurant's 40th anniversary celebration.

I had dinner and spent the night there for my 10th wedding anniversary this past January.  The documentary did a great job capturing the spirit of place. The attention to detail was like nothing that I had experienced.  And the food was just as spectacular as it is made to look in the documentary.

When you see a guest walking into the kitchen after the meal to thank Patrick O'Connell, that's not just for the show.  After our meal, my wife and I asked if we could get a kitchen tour, they walked us right over there, open the doors and, without a word spoken, there's Patrick O'Connell saying "Happy anniversary!" to us and shaking our hands. They must have a hand signal or something, but pretty incredible.

Anyway, I'm probably a bit biased from my viewing experience based on having been there, but thought I'd add that recommendation to the thread.

PBS recently aired the documentary "The Inn at Little Washington: A Delicious Documentary."  A lot of the drama in the documentary is around their quest for a third Michelin star and preparation for the restaurant's 40th anniversary celebration.

I had dinner and spent the night there for my 10th wedding anniversary this past January.  The documentary did a great job capturing the spirit of place. The attention to detail was like nothing that I had experienced.  And the food was just as spectacular as it is made to look in the documentary.

When you see a guest walking into the kitchen after the meal to thank Patrick O'Connell, that's not just for the show.  After our meal, my wife and I asked if we could get a kitchen tour, they walked us right over there, open the doors and, without a word spoken, there's Patrick O'Connell saying "Happy anniversary!" to us and shaking our hands. They must have a hand signal or something, but pretty incredible.

Anyway, I'm probably a bit biased from my viewing experience based on having been there, but thought I'd add that recommendation to the thread.
I watched that last week. I had heard of the place, but have never been there. The food they showed on the episode - or, rather the portions - didn't impress me much. But the experience looks incredible.

In any case, that dude has been in business for over 40 years in the middle of nowhere with the clients he attracts. Especially given that he's gay and apparently made no attempts to hide it back when he started. Mad props.

I watched that last week. I had heard of the place, but have never been there. The food they showed on the episode - or, rather the portions - didn't impress me much. But the experience looks incredible.

In any case, that dude has been in business for over 40 years in the middle of nowhere with the clients he attracts. Especially given that he's gay and apparently made no attempts to hide it back when he started. Mad props.
The portions aren’t large, but it’s one of those tasting menu places. You won’t leave hungry.

They give three tasting menu options to pick from. They all have five courses before dessert. I think they gave us around four courses of dessert alone, including a bonus anniversary cake (the beehive type cake featured in the doc), as well as a celebration cake with the package we bought.

Users who are viewing this thread