What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk trash (pickup). (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
My city signed a new contract with a company to pick up our trash each week. Currently, we can have up to five standard garbage cans at the curb each week. Plus additional cans for yard waste (clearly marked with YW) and a recycling bin. 

The new plan will supply each home with one covered 96 gallon, wheeled can for garbage and yard waste. And, one covered 96 gallon wheeled can for recycling material. (Also, recycling is only being picked up every other week) If you are a family of 5, you can apply for an additional can. If you want to pay for an additional can, it's $90 a year. They are going to identify 2 six week periods (spring, fall) that are unlimited yard waste pickup weeks. But, I can't find anything explaining where you put that extra yard waste?

What is the pickup service like in your town/city?

My concern is yard waste. My property taxes are based on an evaluation. And therefor I pay more if I have a larger lot. Wouldn't that identify me as needing, and already paying more, for an additional can?

Under the Q & A section it states "what if I can't fit all my garbage in one can". Answer - "save it until the following week." Are we pigs that we now live in our own filth? The week after Christmas is always a heavy garbage collection day. It could take a month for people to get it all removed.

We have the large cans like you are getting (family of 5) trash is pretty well full every week.  Recycling is also every week and half full to full

our City will still pick up bulk trash and any occasional overflow though 

I’ll also toss excess in my neighbors trash from time to time (older couple they don’t care)

yard waste is separate and gets picked up spring though early December 

We get one can for recycling, one for waste.  You can get a second one for waste for like $50.  The city also does bulk pickup EVERY WEEK.  Most places designate like one weekend a month for big items.  We have a truck that drives around looking for sofas, piles of junk, etc.  Yard waste has to be in brown bags, but NO GRASS CLIPPINGS.  Those have to be taken to the city compost facility.  Any other yard waste (mulch, weeds, branches, etc) are allowed in the brown bags.  That part doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatever.  The rest of the program seems to be very less restrictive than other communities around us.  

We have the large cans like you are getting (family of 5) trash is pretty well full every week.  Recycling is also every week and half full to full

our City will still pick up bulk trash and any occasional overflow though 

I’ll also toss excess in my neighbors trash from time to time (older couple they don’t care)

yard waste is separate and gets picked up spring though early December 
Bulk trash? Is that a couch or are you saying additional bags of trash?

Also, how many of the large trash cans did they supply you with?

All I know is that if you forget to take it to the curb... waiting another week is a #####.  We had twice a week a few years ago.  Now once a week and the garbage is stanky. 

All I know is that if you forget to take it to the curb... waiting another week is a #####.  We had twice a week a few years ago.  Now once a week and the garbage is stanky. 
We have trouble keeping raccoons out of our cans now. I wonder if the bigger cans make it harder for them to tip over or climb. 

Bulk trash? Is that a couch or are you saying additional bags of trash?

Also, how many of the large trash cans did they supply you with?
1 trash, 1 recycle

I have put extra bags of trash out and it gets picked up, but it’s not a regular occurrence, I’d say a handful of times a year 

We pay $78 for three months--we get one big rollaway for recycle--one for trash. Weekly pickup. They will take an extra bag or so, but require big boxes to be broken down. 

i just have a 50 gallon drum you can burn up most anything in it if you get the base hot enough so thats what id do just get you a burn barrell you can stand around it and warm your hands up too its pretty sweet take that to the bank bromigos 

i just have a 50 gallon drum you can burn up most anything in it if you get the base hot enough so thats what id do just get you a burn barrell you can stand around it and warm your hands up too its pretty sweet take that to the bank bromigos 
Did your drum come with a pint of booze in a brown paper bag? Or is that extra?

SHIZNITTTT said:
It gets especially ripe in the summer with the flies.  Nothing like the site of like 1000 maggots squirming around at the top of a bag.

My city also has contracted with a private company for waste pick up.  We are given 1 large can, but we actually have unlimited pick up service, so I can stack all kinds of stuff on the curb if I want/need.  As long as two guys can lift it, they will take it.  I have a second large can for recyclables, but that is picked up separately by the county.   Yard waste is picked up by the city during the last week of each month...can pile leaves on the tree lawn or stack branches as long as they do not exceed 4 ft length.  Alternatively, we can put yard waste into those big brown bags available at places like Home Depot and when it is in those, the private company will take those with the regular trash.

The other concern I have is that the contract was rewarded to a company from Spain at a higher cost ($24.2 mil) over a company from Minnesota ($22.2 mil). 

The council Tuesday didn’t pick the trash contract’s low bidder, West Central Sanitation, a Minnesota-based company. West Central had offered three carts, with separate collection of yard waste, for $22.2 million a year.

West Central would have needed to roughly double in size to serve Omaha, and Stothert and Public Works officials had questioned the company’s ability to grow that rapidly without risking failed collections.

West Central owner Don Williamson argued Tuesday that his company’s bids were the city’s cheapest and best whether Omaha wanted to be frugal with two carts or wanted to be more ecologically friendly with three.

One large rolling trash bin and one large recycling bin. Recycling bin is always full. We have gotten our regular trash down to one bag a week.

I compost 100% of my yard waste in my compost pile. I designed my landscaping so the compost pile is nicely done and blends in. My lot is normal suburb size, so not big.

Family of 5. We also compost 100% of fruit and veggie scraps.

We’ve just made a concerted effort to reduce our trash each week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It gets especially ripe in the summer with the flies.  Nothing like the site of like 1000 maggots squirming around at the top of a bag.
Yup.  And it seems to me chicken is the main culprit.  If we grill or cook chicken the scraps in the summer time bring flies to the trash cans like nothing else. 

This reminds me of a story about a woman who was in the news because she had almost no trash. One of her secrets was that she threw away stuff at the retailer. 

Made me laugh. Yep look at her reducing trash in landfills!

KCitons said:
My city signed a new contract with a company to pick up our trash each week. Currently, we can have up to five standard garbage cans at the curb each week. Plus additional cans for yard waste (clearly marked with YW) and a recycling bin. 

The new plan will supply each home with one covered 96 gallon, wheeled can for garbage and yard waste. And, one covered 96 gallon wheeled can for recycling material. (Also, recycling is only being picked up every other week) If you are a family of 5, you can apply for an additional can. If you want to pay for an additional can, it's $90 a year. They are going to identify 2 six week periods (spring, fall) that are unlimited yard waste pickup weeks. But, I can't find anything explaining where you put that extra yard waste?

What is the pickup service like in your town/city?

My concern is yard waste. My property taxes are based on an evaluation. And therefor I pay more if I have a larger lot. Wouldn't that identify me as needing, and already paying more, for an additional can?

Under the Q & A section it states "what if I can't fit all my garbage in one can". Answer - "save it until the following week." Are we pigs that we now live in our own filth? The week after Christmas is always a heavy garbage collection day. It could take a month for people to get it all removed.
Similar to this, one container for trash, one for single sort recylcing, and one for yard waste.  Yard waste pickup is optional here, and runs from April through November.  One annual fee covers pickup every week, but if you have extra yard waste, you have to put it in paper bags and they cost extra.  They will not pick up plastic yard bags. 

We get 2 big rollers for trash, 1 for recycling and 1 for yard waste.

We typically get the recycling bin at least half-full.  We never, ever use the second trash bin.  The first one barely gets anything.  Yard waste varies.

It's not any less for just 1 trash bin.

Easy peasy and reasonably priced.

My town switched over to this system earlier this year. Ours is slightly different, in that we get recycling every week. We used to have trash p/u twice a week and recycling once. I really liked this, especially in the summer, as it allowed for trash to sit for a shorter amount of time, keeping it less smelly!

Ours has been very flexible with the recycling. I always send a smaller blue recycling bin that I keep in my garage out every week and it gets emptied. I will also leave out boxes that don't fit in the bins separate and they get picked up. We get lawn waste picked up if it is in marked paper bags (spring, summer, fall) or during fall, if the leaves are pushed to the road.

Our town is special, in that residents don't have access to a dump; because of that, the town will pick up anything from your curb with prior notice to the town (send an email to them and they give you a date). 

The reason they switched over to the new system was so the new contractor could use trucks that will dump the trash in them using an arm, hopefully cutting down on costs. I have seen more people on the recycling trucks, because they have to deal with more irregular sized trash that doesn't fit in the containers.

Ron Swanson said:
Pro Tip - Buy your garbage guys a suitcase of beer every major Holiday and you won't have to worry about the rules.  They'll dispose of a body for you after that, no questions asked.
How do you give it to them? My guys come before I'm outta bed. Do you just leave on top of the can the night before? 

nirad3 said:
We get 2 big rollers for trash, 1 for recycling and 1 for yard waste.

We typically get the recycling bin at least half-full.  We never, ever use the second trash bin.  The first one barely gets anything.  Yard waste varies.

It's not any less for just 1 trash bin.

Easy peasy and reasonably priced.
Most of the time when they give you the containers, you have to use theirs only. At least mine, by using theirs, it allows them to use the mechanical arms of the truck to pick up the canister. 

when i was growing up the place next to us was a dump like a hoarder place and my old man would sometimes just dump trash over the fence into there yard and they never noticed so hey if it all goes south on you just try dumping it on your neigbors yard or a burn barreel like i said before take that to the bank bromigo 

Lady in the news here in town has been victimized by porch pirates over and over, so she has started boxing all her trash (including her cat's used liter) in Amazon boxes and leaving it out. 100% success rate of it being taken. She says it is about time these crooks are saving her money vs costing her money.  

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you give it to them? My guys come before I'm outta bed. Do you just leave on top of the can the night before? 
They hit my house mid-morning (7-8) so I wait until I hear them around the corner and then I walk outside and put it on top of the can.  I normally put a bow on it or write "Happy Holidays" or somesuch. A suitcase of beer on top of a garbage can by the street would not make it through the night here.

Lady in the news here in town has been victimized by porch pirates over and over, so she has started boxing all her trash (including her cat's used liter) in Amazon boxes and leaving it out. 100% success rate of it being taken. She says it is about time these crooks are saving her money vs costing her money.  
You can also attach "postage paid" return mailers to boxes full of trash and ship it off to your favorite snail mail spammer as a special gift.

You wanna know what happens to your gifts? They all come to me. In your garbage. You see what I'm saying? In your GARBAGE!

They hit my house mid-morning (7-8) so I wait until I hear them around the corner and then I walk outside and put it on top of the can.  I normally put a bow on it or write "Happy Holidays" or somesuch. A suitcase of beer on top of a garbage can by the street would not make it through the night here.
I would like to let Ron know that 7am-8am is not "mid-morning".  

Also, that I will buy your Korean War medals if your kids don't want them.  

Users who are viewing this thread