What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

The Louisiana parish I have in mind is pretty much the same size at ~260,000 residents. Same make-up or suburan/rural ... cases 25,947, deaths 525 as of yesterday. That means your county in Georgia has a significantly reduced COVID death rate (1.03%) compared to this particular Louisiana parish (2.02%).

Don't know about hospitalization rates or anything.

Did your county happen to get their first cases later on (say, summer 2020 or later) versus earlier? Earlier on, effective treatments were still being worked out and death rates were accordingly higher.
We didn’t have a lot of cases early on - we had a spike mid-Nov to mid-Feb like a lot of places, they even closed our schools again for  5-6 weeks around our Christmas holiday.  I don’t have many stats about hospitalizations but I don’t think we ever reached critical mass.

Thoughts on employers requiring vaccine?  Im already seeing this come to a head in my company.  Had a director tell someone they must get one or be fired because they wont be able to do their job properly(sales).  Had another director try to take accounts away from someone because they wont travel yet.  Its getting dicey. 

Thoughts on employers requiring vaccine?  Im already seeing this come to a head in my company.  Had a director tell someone they must get one or be fired because they wont be able to do their job properly(sales).  Had another director try to take accounts away from someone because they wont travel yet.  Its getting dicey. 
I don't think it should be required until after the full authorization is complete and it moves out of EUA. Not sure when that will be. 

After that? 100% employers should be able to make vaccination a requirement as they see fit. 

Hopefully most employers do this. 

Can they mandate it even before it's FDA approved?  I'd think there would be some legal ramifications of they try to make it mandatory prior to FDA approval.  
It Connecticut, businesses apparently can. My (very small) company mandated it 3-4 weeks ago after seeking advice from CBIA. We had 3 hold-outs (out of 8 employees) and all will be fully vaccinated within the next 2 weeks.

Last week, we also all received an envelope with a few Benjamins as a thank you. That was unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they mandate it even before it's FDA approved?  I'd think there would be some legal ramifications of they try to make it mandatory prior to FDA approval.  
On the federal level the EEOC has said that employers can mandate vaccines, subject to ADA and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  Since they enforce workplace discrimination, theirs is the opinion that counts.

anyone got a good TLDR list or summary of the "leaked" Fauci emails? Have seen bits and pieces in lots of places, but it's hard to keep up with

anyone got a good TLDR list or summary of the leaked Fauci emails? Have seen bits and pieces in lots of places, but it's hard to keep up with
TLDR - Fauci had to deal with a lot of crap and handled it all very well and with excellent professionalism.

Just kidding, I didn't actually read any of it emails or synopses but I'm going of what I know of him.

TLDR - Fauci had to deal with a lot of crap and handled it all very well and with excellent professionalism.

Just kidding, I didn't actually read any of it emails or synopses but I'm going of what I know of him.
From the ones people are calling "smoking guns" they seem to be very, um, uncertain of anything. I would agree he is saying some things in those emails he didn't say in public, I can certainly understand why he might do that. It doesn't mean he did anything wrong per se.

anyone got a good TLDR list or summary of the "leaked" Fauci emails? Have seen bits and pieces in lots of places, but it's hard to keep up with.
There's no one running narrative throughout the emails, so there's not really a TLDR list or summary available. In addition, it looks like three different news organizations have different pieces of this. The Washington Post has the April 2020 emails (20 of which are printed verbatim at the bottom of this link). Buzzfeed and CNN have the February and March 2020 ones, though I haven't yet seen how they are parted out between them.

This BBC article pulls a little from all three sets, but really just gives a few highlights. Better than nothing, though.

EDIT: This CNN article explains which news outlets got which emails. Seems to be some overlap:

BuzzFeed News published more than 3,200 pages of emails from Fauci's inbox after obtaining correspondence spanning from January to June 2020, and The Washington Post published excerpts from more than 860 pages of emails during March and April 2020. CNN also obtained a number of emails from February, but many were heavily redacted.

From the ones people are calling "smoking guns" they seem to be very, um, uncertain of anything.
From the BBC article:

The Fauci Ink Blot Test

Analysis by Tara McKelvey, BBC White House reporter

Fauci's emails are like a Rorschach ink blot: what you see in them reveals more about you than the ink blot, or, in this case, the emails.

For Trump supporters I know in small Kansas towns and other rural areas, Fauci is a villain. He broadcasts conflicting messages about the virus, these Republicans say, and twists science. They also say that he undermined then-President Trump.

These conservatives refused to wear masks, even during the worst days of the pandemic, because, they said, the scientific guidelines changed constantly, and Fauci had flip-flopped.

His emails will reinforce their opinions. Fauci did indeed change his mind about health guidance, such as the wearing of masks, as more information emerged about the virus. He told someone in February 2020 they did not need to wear a mask while travelling. Later, he encouraged people to wear them.

In contrast, for liberals in the Midwest and in other regions, Fauci is a hero. His emails reinforce their views, showing he changed his mind about what people should do to fight the virus, depending upon the scientific data, and not on what Trump wanted people to hear.
People buy into what they want to buy into. Film at eleven.

Nathan R. Jessep said:
anyone got a good TLDR list or summary of the "leaked" Fauci emails? Have seen bits and pieces in lots of places, but it's hard to keep up with
The two big ones are an email from Feb 2020 in which he told someone masks are pointless and that the virus is only spread by symptomatic people. And another email in which someone thanked him for saying the virus developed naturally even though he had emails from January 2020 that suggested there was possibly a man-made component to the genome. Or some #### like that. 

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

A few nuggets that I didn't know that seem like they could be significant to me...my comments in bold:

• Dr. Richard Ebright, board of governors professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Rutgers University, said that from the very first reports of a novel bat-related coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, it took him “a nanosecond or a picosecond” to consider a link to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Only two other labs in the world, in Galveston, Texas, and Chapel Hill, North Carolina, were doing similar research. “It’s not a dozen cities,” he said. “It’s three places.” --I didn't know there were only 3 labs in the world that did this research. 
  • To one former federal health official, the situation boiled down to this: An institute “funded by American dollars is trying to teach a bat virus to infect human cells, then there is a virus” in the same city as that lab. It is “not being intellectually honest not to consider the hypothesis” of a lab escape. --had read rumblings but hadn't seen anything "official" stating the US funded that research
  • A small group within the State Department’s Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance bureau had been studying the Institute for months. The group had recently acquired classified intelligence suggesting that three WIV researchers conducting gain-of-function experiments on coronavirus samples had fallen ill in the autumn of 2019, before the COVID-19 outbreak was known to have started.--had read in the last few days about 3 researchers falling ill pre- known Covid outbreak time, but didn't know of this gain-of-function stuff at the time or that that is what the researchers were in fact working on
  • --the whole "dueling memos" section (section IX) is worth a read, including the linked full PDF documents of what they're talking about.
  • the Wuhan lab's database had been taken offline on September 12, 2019, three months before the official start of the pandemic --although our guy said we had all the same information that was in that database, Shi Zhengli (Wuhan lab chief) had stated that the WIV took down the database due to hacking attempts during the pandemic... probably nothing but interesting coincidence

How Japan whiffed so badly on vaccinating is fascinating to me.  Never would've guessed that but the series of events and chain reactions that got them here make it somewhat understandable, though totally inexcusable.  And now, we bring you the Olympics!  Wow.

A few nuggets that I didn't know that seem like they could be significant to me...my comments in bold:

• Dr. Richard Ebright, board of governors professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Rutgers University, said that from the very first reports of a novel bat-related coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, it took him “a nanosecond or a picosecond” to consider a link to the Wuhan Institute of Virology. Only two other labs in the world, in Galveston, Texas, and Chapel Hill, North Carolina, were doing similar research. “It’s not a dozen cities,” he said. “It’s three places.” --I didn't know there were only 3 labs in the world that did this research. 
  • To one former federal health official, the situation boiled down to this: An institute “funded by American dollars is trying to teach a bat virus to infect human cells, then there is a virus” in the same city as that lab. It is “not being intellectually honest not to consider the hypothesis” of a lab escape. --had read rumblings but hadn't seen anything "official" stating the US funded that research
  • A small group within the State Department’s Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance bureau had been studying the Institute for months. The group had recently acquired classified intelligence suggesting that three WIV researchers conducting gain-of-function experiments on coronavirus samples had fallen ill in the autumn of 2019, before the COVID-19 outbreak was known to have started.--had read in the last few days about 3 researchers falling ill pre- known Covid outbreak time, but didn't know of this gain-of-function stuff at the time or that that is what the researchers were in fact working on
  • --the whole "dueling memos" section (section IX) is worth a read, including the linked full PDF documents of what they're talking about.
  • the Wuhan lab's database had been taken offline on September 12, 2019, three months before the official start of the pandemic --although our guy said we had all the same information that was in that database, Shi Zhengli (Wuhan lab chief) had stated that the WIV took down the database due to hacking attempts during the pandemic... probably nothing but interesting coincidence
Here's my most important quote: “If the pandemic started as part of a lab leak, it had the potential to do to virology what Three Mile Island and Chernobyl did to nuclear science."

• the Wuhan lab's database had been taken offline on September 12, 2019, three months before the official start of the pandemic --although our guy said we had all the same information that was in that database, Shi Zhengli (Wuhan lab chief) had stated that the WIV took down the database due to hacking attempts during the pandemic... probably nothing but interesting coinc on idence
I messaged @chet on May 6th last year in detail about gain of function research possibly playing a big role in Covid 19.  I even posted this in the stock forum a few weeks afterwards.   Guess I was maybe onto something. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/673466-stock-thread/?do=findComment&comment=22803183

I messaged @chet on May 6th last year in detail about gain of function research possibly playing a big role in Covid 19.  I even posted this in the stock forum a few weeks afterwards.   Guess I was maybe onto something. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/673466-stock-thread/?do=findComment&comment=22803183
Maybe so. Which leads me to ask what had you thinking all of that before that Rogan interview, etc. came out. Had you already read the paper they were referring to? 

I think what matters most here is determining whether this was a lab leak of work that was not nefarious, and just negligent or whether they were working on something as a bio-weapon that was either negligently leaked or purposefully . . . . right? 

So like this is either Chernobyl or an act of war.

On the federal level the EEOC has said that employers can mandate vaccines, subject to ADA and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  Since they enforce workplace discrimination, theirs is the opinion that counts.
Where is the EEOC order/guidance posted?
This is a very recent EEOC update, less than a week old now. It's in Section K at this link -- scroll down about 3/4 of the way down:

COVID-19 Vaccinations:  EEO Overview

K.1.   Under the ADA, Title VII, and other federal employment nondiscrimination laws, may an employer require all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19?    (5/28/21)

The federal EEO laws do not prevent an employer from requiring all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the ADA and other EEO considerations discussed below.  These principles apply if an employee gets the vaccine in the community or from the employer.   

K.5.  Under the ADA, may an employer require a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees entering the workplace, even though it knows that some employees may not get a vaccine because of a disability? (12/16/20, updated 5/28/21)

Yes, provided certain requirements are met.  Under the ADA, an employer may require all employees to meet a qualification standard that is job-related and consistent with business necessity, such as a safety-related standard requiring COVID-19 vaccination ...

I think what matters most here is determining whether this was a lab leak of work that was not nefarious, and just negligent or whether they were working on something as a bio-weapon that was either negligently leaked or purposefully . . . . right? 

So like this is either Chernobyl or an act of war.
:tinfoilhat:  You can go back and see in this thread that I've been in the lab leak camp from the get go. Was it intentional? Who knows, I'd be surprised if it was BUT once out, there sure seemed to be some convenient travel regs China put in place to see what would happen if it got into the wild. Remember China shut down international travel into the country but was loading up plane loads of their folks and sending them out in the world for a week or two when it was raging in Wuhan. Not saying, just saying  :tinfoilhat:

Maybe so. Which leads me to ask what had you thinking all of that before that Rogan interview, etc. came out. Had you already read the paper they were referring to? 
My buddy and I dug around and did the research and connected the dots. It’s amazing what one can discover by investigating information that’s out there and utilizing the powerful tool that is our brain to establish what makes the most sense. Something smelled fishy about how quickly the disease having natural origins was being force fed to us. The rapidity in which our government endorsed Remdesivir was equally fishy. Low and behold-we did our research and it’s looking like we were on the right track. It’s amazing how “information” can be force fed to the masses when there are interests involved. My best advice to everyone is to do your own research before you believe what’s being told to you as you are likely being fed a narrative that is fueled by interests and not facts and common sense.

My buddy and I dug around and did the research and connected the dots. It’s amazing what one can discover by investigating information that’s out there and utilizing the powerful tool that is our brain to establish what makes the most sense. Something smelled fishy about how quickly the disease having natural origins was being force fed to us. The rapidity in which our government endorsed Remdesivir was equally fishy. Low and behold-we did our research and it’s looking like we were on the right track. It’s amazing how “information” can be force fed to the masses when there are interests involved. My best advice to everyone is to do your own research before you believe what’s being told to you as you are likely being fed a narrative that is fueled by interests and not facts and common sense.
I hear you and it definitely seems fishy upon first glance. But you have to also be careful in realizing that just because you can correlate events/timing of things, that does not confirm the validity of those things being linked. That being said, this definitely reeks. The conspiracy theorists' dream. :lol:  

I hear you and it definitely seems fishy upon first glance. But you have to also be careful in realizing that just because you can correlate events/timing of things, that does not confirm the validity of those things being linked. That being said, this definitely reeks. The conspiracy theorists' dream. :lol:  
Only there is no hard evidence that covid 19 came to be completely naturally either- so I can make the same argument that the “natural theory” is the conspiracy theory. 

Isn't it still natural origins, even if it leaked from a lab, so long as the virus wasn't genetically altered?  
I don't hear anyone thinking it was genetically altered.  My theory is they captured stuff from the wet market periodically to test and either gained it up and caught it and spread it.  After all it was asym spread, then said #### us and covered it up. 

Isn't it still natural origins, even if it leaked from a lab, so long as the virus wasn't genetically altered?  
Potentially.  There are four different scenarios:

1. Unintentional Lab Leak of natural Virus

2. Unintentional lab Leak of Altered Virus

3. Unintentional lab leak of weaponized Virus

4. Intentional issuance of weaponized Virus

I think #4 is highly unlikely.  The others are all possible.

Only there is no hard evidence that covid 19 came to be completely naturally either- so I can make the same argument that the “natural theory” is the conspiracy theory. 
My only counterpoint to that is the fact that nature has done this many times over in history. Scientists have predicted this happening for ages. There have been other viruses where the origin has taken years (or never) to pinpoint. The sad part is, we will likely never know the real answer. 

This is where it’s subjective. You are effectively possibly looking at laboratory induced forced evolution. You inject and  pass the virus through different species and see how the virus reacts and mutates. You can then take those “forced” natural mutations and pass them through more species or human lung tissue to see how it reacts..etc.  This could explain why they can’t specifically name the intermediary animal that made it jump from bats to humans. There could have been several intermediary animals

My only counterpoint to that is the fact that nature has done this many times over in history. Scientists have predicted this happening for ages. There have been other viruses where the origin has taken years (or never) to pinpoint. The sad part is, we will likely never know the real answer. 
How many of those historic viruses originated in a city where one of the only laboratories in the world where that very family of viruses was being altered and studied?  Two years ago I got clowned in this same thread for saying that China was absolutely being disingenuous about the severity of covid19. A year ago- my gain of function hypotheses got people to call me a crazy conspiracy theorist. Now 2 years in- covid has done more humanitarian and economic harm than anything in our lifetimes; and the gain of function hypothesis is gaining credibility amongst some of the brightest minds.  Not trying to be combative with you- but just wanted to bring these examples up to show why tribalism against thoughts or people should be avoided. 

How many of those historic viruses originated in a city where one of the only laboratories in the world where that very family of viruses was being altered and studied?  Two years ago I got clowned in this same thread for saying that China was absolutely being disingenuous about the severity of covid19. A year ago- my gain of function hypotheses got people to call me a crazy conspiracy theorist. Now 2 years in- covid has done more humanitarian and economic harm than anything in our lifetimes; and the gain of function hypothesis is gaining credibility amongst some of the brightest minds.  Not trying to be combative with you- but just wanted to bring these examples up to show why tribalism against thoughts or people should be avoided. 
I understand and didn't take it as combative GB. I know, the information recently brought to light (which you had found at least some of a year ago), does not paint a pretty picture. But that was kind of my point. It also didn't produce any "smoking gun" of evidence. Nature vs Lab-Leak. They're both just theories. We can correlate events and timelines and locations all we want, but that just does not make it so. 

I'd add to that, if it was a lab leak scenario, I'd think any evidence of that is probably long gone by now. But it will be interesting if any further investigating is done in the coming weeks. I think Biden gave a 90-day "deadline" on an origin investigation, IIRC. 

Can anybody give a breakdown in laymen's terms what the significance of the furrin cleavage site means for determining zoonotic vs. lab origins in Covid?

They quoted one virologist in the Vanity Fair article as saying it was "the smoking gun", but it is over my head.

Can anybody give a breakdown in laymen's terms what the significance of the furrin cleavage site means for determining zoonotic vs. lab origins in Covid?

They quoted one virologist in the Vanity Fair article as saying it was "the smoking gun", but it is over my head.
I’m not a huge fan of furry cleavage, but you do you.

This morning I went to the grocery store for the first time since NJ lifted its mask mandate. It was about 50-50 masked vs. unmasked, and the unmasked group skewed older than the masked group. I will continue to wear a mask in crowded indoor spaces until my 10-year-old is vaccinated. 

We are vacationing at a resort in Florida. I drove down, my family flew. From what I have seen, Georgia and Florida DGAF.
You didn’t go through SC? You can add them to the list.

I’ve been vax’d for a bit now so walking into places w/o a mask is a little easier but SC dropped the mask mandate a few weeks ago and now the only people you see wearing them are store workers. Occasionally you’ll see one or two people with them on but it’s rare.

Users who are viewing this thread