What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (24 Viewers)

Ive been to the doctor 2x in the last year with cold like symptoms and no fever. Once for myself and the doctor basically laughed at me when I asked if I should get tested because I didnt have a fever. The second time was for my son and his doctor said if he didnt get a fever there's no need to get tested. He developed a fever later that night and we took him to get tested and he was negative.
There's definitely a difference between types of test. I would not go to a doctor's office if I had cold symptoms. However, I did go to a drive up test center a month ago when I lost taste/smell in addition to moderate cold symptoms. Who knows how I would have acted if not for the loss of taster/smell? Certainly would not have quarantined for 10 days (as I ended up doing). My 17 year old son had cold symptoms today and took a take at home test out of abundance of caution, and it shows positive for covid. Without testing of any sort, I'd assume most are not quarantining for 10 days with cold symptoms. Based on my own experiences over the past month, vigilance and testing (including at home as a starter) seems like a prudent approach.

Omicron found in another state.

Looks like we're going to get plenty of information on the omicron variant in upcoming weeks.
The Minnesota resident is a vaccinated male who resides in Hennepin County and experienced mild symptoms Nov. 22. The person was tested Nov. 24 and no longer has symptoms.
Add to that, the San Francisco fully-vaxxed patient who got it (1st documented case in USA) also recovered with no hospitalization or serious effects. I know it's a small sample size, but, fingers crossed.

Called my primary they don't do testing at all so I got to call to a local CVS/Riteaide. They won't see me for this cough I have and want a Video/tele visit. But they suggested I get tested first. Called the number I had to call when my mom was sick and they've yet to get back to be. Fun fact they said it'd be 10 mins waited 10 and nothing. They said I could press 1 and they'd call me back and had me confirm my #. Also don't call back myself or it'd drop me to the end of the line again. SO I'm at a crossroads till I hear from them. I think Albertson is using some big company that usually takes care of our worker comp claims and stuff like that but they deal with literally the whole company and not Just one sector like East coast/West Coast etc. 

Part of me wants to call the pharmacies and see if I could get tested today or if I have to schedule an appointment. Other part wants to just wait and see if these people call me back. I don't feel terrible just a weird cough now over a week and was a bit congested but that has gone away as the day as gone on

Leeroy Jenkins said:
There always seems to be a several day wait to get an appointment for tests in my area. My wife ended up going to some other pop-up test that got her results in a few hours, but that was like $150.
Right - you need to plan ahead.  CVS doesnt enforce the time slots.  Some jackass and his family had appointments at like 330 in the afternoon and showed up at 1030am and they didnt tell them to come back.  Free is Free.  If you know you have an event or trip or something coming up that requires a test, CVS works and costs nothing.  Hawaii travel site pushes you to paid for PCR tests.  We just went there over the holiday and I used the free CVS testing site for myself and my family.  Cost us nothing and we had results back in plenty of time. 

Obviously I am not vaccinated so I expect backlash in this forum for that.  My wife and two daughters (14 and 8 ) had covid in February.  I spent three weeks amongst them and never got it (completely non-masked around my daughters who tested positive one and two weeks later).  I have been on 28 flights since Covid began, 15 states and Mexico. Been to countless client offices where testing protocols are in place. We are diligent in terms of cleaning and keeping our distance.  I am not against anyone getting the vaccine as my parents who are in their late 70s got it because my dad had MS (he passed away in June after a 30 year battle) and my brother and his wife/kids got them.  My family will not get it until we are forced to for travel purposes.  My company will never require it.  My stupid governor is mandating it in kids which is completely crazy as this should be a choice.  If people want to vax their kids, go ahead but I am not putting something in my children that has not been tested long enough to know the downstream impacts. We have all other vaccines so this is not an anti-vax discussion. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Right - you need to plan ahead.  CVS doesnt enforce the time slots.  Some jackass and his family had appointments at like 330 in the afternoon and showed up at 1030am and they didnt tell them to come back.  Free is Free.  If you know you have an event or trip or something coming up that requires a test, CVS works and costs nothing.  Hawaii travel site pushes you to paid for PCR tests.  We just went there over the holiday and I used the free CVS testing site for myself and my family.  Cost us nothing and we had results back in plenty of time. 

Obviously I am not vaccinated so I expect backlash in this forum for that.  My wife and two daughters (14 and 8 ) had covid in February.  I spent three weeks amongst them and never got it (completely non-masked around my daughters who tested positive one and two weeks later).  I have been on 28 flights since Covid began, 15 states and Mexico. Been to countless client offices where testing protocols are in place. We are diligent in terms of cleaning and keeping our distance.  I am not against anyone getting the vaccine as my parents who are in their late 70s got it because my dad had MS (he passed away in June after a 30 year battle) and my brother and his wife/kids got them.  My family will not get it until we are forced to for travel purposes.  My company will never require it.  My stupid governor is mandating it in kids which is completely crazy as this should be a choice.  If people want to vax their kids, go ahead but I am not putting something in my children that has not been tested long enough to know the downstream impacts. We have all other vaccines so this is not an anti-vax discussion. 

I'm all for the choice to not get vaxxed.

Justifying it with the "not tested long enough" doesn't hold water anymore.  I was there in February, but now we know better.  Billions vaccinated.

So don't get vaxxed, I support the choice.. but don't try to argue it makes sense on those grounds.  It doesn't.

@kylechoffman The only reason left to decide against being vaccinated is that the virus just isn't that scary.

The shots themselves are plainly and obviously safe and effective.

@kylechoffman The only reason left to decide against being vaccinated is that the virus just isn't that scary.

The shots themselves are plainly and obviously safe and effective.
It’s not that scary to my family. When I mentioned we are fully vaccinated, that doesn’t include the flu vaccine.  No one in my household has had the flu vaccine since 2008.  When the covid shot prevents covid entirely and/ or masks aren’t required if you are vaccinated, my family will consider getting it. 

It’s not that scary to my family. When I mentioned we are fully vaccinated, that doesn’t include the flu vaccine.  No one in my household has had the flu vaccine since 2008.  When the covid shot prevents covid entirely and/ or masks aren’t required if you are vaccinated, my family will consider getting it. 

No vaccine is 100%, so you have "reasoned" your way out of ever being vaccinated.

Like I said... any attempt to justify it beyond simply not fearing the virus just sounds silly.  But even then, the virus is less scary still when vaccinated.

That is your opinion and I respect that. 

Unvaccinated people are 80%+ of hospitalizations and deaths.  You are 11 times more likely to die when unvaccinated.  Data, over roughly a year now.  Billions vaccinated.

No longer opinion.

I still respect your choice to not do so... I just can't respect any effort to justify it beyond a personal choice.  Not fearing the virus is fine (I still don't).... fearing the vaccine is just nonsense now.

Harry Frogfish said:
Do you know that to be true?  I read somewhere that it was actually found in Europe prior.  They just weren't as forthcoming as SA was in announcing they had come across a new strain or whatnot.
If it’s not true—I stand corrected. My understanding was that it originated in Africa and by the time they identified it—it had most likely already spread to other places around the world (including Europe). With that said—I haven’t been keeping up with each and every new piece of information as my work schedule has been brutal the past couple of weeks.  

Yeah, I don't see any way that 99.9% number could be correct. 
Ditto. Makes sense that the very elderly have the highest vaccination rates, because they are the most vulnerable and many states and counties have launched programs to get them vaccinated, but 999 out of 1000 just can’t be right. 

Are we going to track every case that pops up for Omnicron?
As the cases get more numerous of course we're not. Since it's early (10 days in), it's interesting to me where they pop up, whether the person had been traveling or not, whether they were vaccinated or not, and how bad their symptoms are. And I don't think it's clear at all that it'll become the dominant variant. This post isn't intended as a feminine hygiene comment.

Ha. Anyone else remember in the very early 80s there was an appetite suppressant/diet product called Ayds? It ceased to exist once that disease became a thing.

Yes, their slogan was the unfortunately chosen: "Lose Weight Fast With Ayds!"  :(

Corona Beer seems to have survived the initial Corona Virus designation, may not be selling as well, but is still around last I saw. 

why would masks have any bearing on the decision to be vaccinated?

Yes, their slogan was the unfortunately chosen: "Lose Weight Fast With Ayds!"  :(

Corona Beer seems to have survived the initial Corona Virus designation, may not be selling as well, but is still around last I saw. 
A small pharma company I cover was called Isis Pharmaceuticals. They changed their name to Ionis after that terrorist group started making the news.

A small pharma company I cover was called Isis Pharmaceuticals. They changed their name to Ionis after that terrorist group started making the news.

That is actually a company I have owned stock in for like 10-15+ years and have a pretty good profit on paper, since I bought it. And yes, I was glad they changed the name. 

My son wears a ask all day in school. If they said vaccinated students no longer need to wear masks, it will make me reconsider my decision to vaccinate him. As it is now I see zero reason for him to be vaccinated.
so not wearing a mask is reason enough to get a vaccine, but protection from a disease is not?  

so not wearing a mask is reason enough to get a vaccine, but protection from a disease is not?  
The mask affords him protection from the disease. A disease, btw, that barely impacts children. A vaccine btw that still offers low protection against infection. So basically whether or not he gets the vaccine, if he gets covid he has a 99.99% chance of having mild symptoms and being fine a few days later. 

If schools, airplanes and public places requiring masks currently drop the mandate if you are vaccinated, I may consider getting it.  As I mentioned before, I see no need for me or my family to get it.  We have no preexisting conditions, are not in an at risk group and havent gotten the flu vaccine in 13 years (when we get the flu, its gone in 24 hours).  My wife and daughters all had Covid earlier this year.  My youngest (8) had a headache for an hour.  My other daughter and wife were tired for a day.  If my father who has aggressive Multiple Sclerosis had no issue with me being around him unvaccinated, no one else should have a problem. It's my choice.  

My son wears a ask all day in school. If they said vaccinated students no longer need to wear masks, it will make me reconsider my decision to vaccinate him. As it is now I see zero reason for him to be vaccinated.
Virtual High Five

Additional commentary on the masks.  Both of my daughters public schools require masks in classrooms.  They do not require them in the indoor lunchroom while waiting in line to get your lunch, back to back students. They do not require them at lunch or recess nor at sporting events like Friday night football games when a few thousand students and strangers are shoulder to shoulder.  The elementary school also didn't require any parents to wear them on campus while at events like the Halloween carnival.  Its inconsistent..

Omicron case in Philadelphia.  It has probably been in the USA via community spread for a while. We just suck at identifying variants and testing.

Additional commentary on the masks.  Both of my daughters public schools require masks in classrooms.  They do not require them in the indoor lunchroom while waiting in line to get your lunch, back to back students. They do not require them at lunch or recess nor at sporting events like Friday night football games when a few thousand students and strangers are shoulder to shoulder.  The elementary school also didn't require any parents to wear them on campus while at events like the Halloween carnival.  Its inconsistent..
...and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether it's a good idea to get vaccinated.   such a weird argument.  "masks are annoying so I won't get vaccinated unless I am rewarded with not having to wear a mask."   

If schools, airplanes and public places requiring masks currently drop the mandate if you are vaccinated, I may consider getting it.  As I mentioned before, I see no need for me or my family to get it.  We have no preexisting conditions, are not in an at risk group and havent gotten the flu vaccine in 13 years (when we get the flu, its gone in 24 hours).  My wife and daughters all had Covid earlier this year.  My youngest (8) had a headache for an hour.  My other daughter and wife were tired for a day.  If my father who has aggressive Multiple Sclerosis had no issue with me being around him unvaccinated, no one else should have a problem. It's my choice.  

Virtual High Five
No concern that this type of behavior at the macro level is exactly why we get ungodly amounts of infections? 

We pass it on to others you know. They pass it on. So on and so forth? Nothing? Doesn't move the needle? 

No concern that this type of behavior at the macro level is exactly why we get ungodly amounts of infections? 

We pass it on to others you know. They pass it on. So on and so forth? Nothing? Doesn't move the needle? 
Vaccine is available to anyone who wants it now. Why would we be concerned about this? Apparently youre still living in 2020

No concern at all.  Vaccinated individuals pass the virus onto others just as in vaccinated individuals do.  I test frequently enough to know I have not been a carrier since testing was made available.  

Users who are viewing this thread