What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

i walk around with allergies, sinus issues, some congestion, headaches probably 50% of the time.

I'm severely allergic to grass, dust, ragweed. (like the allergy doctor said you are only allergic to the 3 things but you maxed out the scale)

I have a deviated septum causing bad sinuses.

I would have had to been tested 100 times already if i went every time

no fever, chills or body aches im not getting tested :shrug:
Is sneezing even a symptom?  I have pretty bad allergies as well.

No concern at all.  Vaccinated individuals pass the virus onto others just as in vaccinated individuals do.  I test frequently enough to know I have not been a carrier since testing was made available.  
Actually, no. Data shows that vaccinated individuals' viral load typically drops dramatically faster after about the 3 day mark. That study has been shared multiple times in this thread. 

Then there's also the fact that unvaccinated folks are about 8x more likely to become carriers in the first place.. 

So, no. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts like this are what is ruining these boards. Putting words into my mouth and completely changing what I said and adding to it needs to be called out. Despicable.
Cherry picking daily infection numbers is even worse.  A lower division stats student would be able to tell you that the variance makes the data inconclusive at best.  A real actuary wouldn't be caught dead making that type of argument.

:shrug:

We have been doing it.  There are drop-in drive-thru testing sites where you are done in 10 minutes and get the results the next day.  Sure, there is a minor inconvenience in that the kids get pulled from school/sports until the test comes back negative, but now that I work from home it's not like I have to take the day off of work to have the kids home with me.  With all the mask wearing my family hasn't had to deal with coughs and runny noses nearly as much as in years past.
Just do the home test first.  I take one daily.  My son's school tests everyone 3x/week.  If I test positive I'll self quarantine and get a PCR to verify.

Actually, no. Data shows that vaccinated individuals' viral load typically drops dramatically faster after about the 3 day mark. That study has been shared multiple times in this thread. 

Then there's also the fact that unvaccinated folks are about 8x more likely to become carriers in the first place.. 

So, no. :)  
So you're basically admitting vaccinated people do pass the virus which was his point. 

Cherry picking daily infection numbers is even worse.  A lower division stats student would be able to tell you that the variance makes the data inconclusive at best.  A real actuary wouldn't be caught dead making that type of argument.
You caught me. I'm actually an accountant 

Because thirty percent of the country chooses behavior like this and we can't get on with our lives. 
I got on with my life perfectly fine. Life is pretty much back to normal for me except I wfh instead of shlepping to the office. 

And if 70% vaxxed plus all the natural immunity isn't enough to go about living our normal lives then I don't know what to tell you because 100% is never gonna happen (at least not the first year).

The mask affords him protection from the disease. A disease, btw, that barely impacts children. A vaccine btw that still offers low protection against infection. So basically whether or not he gets the vaccine, if he gets covid he has a 99.99% chance of having mild symptoms and being fine a few days later. 
link?

...and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether it's a good idea to get vaccinated.   such a weird argument.  "masks are annoying so I won't get vaccinated unless I am rewarded with not having to wear a mask."   
It's laughable that all of the sudden masks are a suitable inhibitor to the anti-vaxxers when it suits their argument

Omicron case in Philadelphia.  It has probably been in the USA via community spread for a while. We just suck at identifying variants and testing.
That would be my guess too. Michigan seems like a weird outlier from normal case trends of Delta, same with PA, so perhaps been there. Their case waves that started in August never really declined like other Midwest states, and just took off. UK in general hasn't really seen a decline in cases since July, which is also a strange compared to other Delta waves in other countries. Clearly they are finding it there now, but perhaps it's been percolating longer? I think if they can prove that the variant has been in UK for months, the only good news is that deaths have remained decoupled from cases for 5 months compared to the previous waves.

On a separate tangent, I read an article about how life now is kind of like how people lived and adapted during war time, and it resonated with me. Things really aren't any better from a disease perspective today, but it does seem that psychologically a lot of people have just accepted what is going on and have adapted to life as it is. I always wondered how people could wake up in the bombed out cities of WWII Europe and simply go about their lives amidst the rubble and chaos. Obviously it hasn't been that severe for most, but it has been a remarkable tragedy we're living through that many simply have had to adapt to mentally. Not much more we can do than keep going the best we can.

https://riskcalc.org/COVID19Hospitalization/

12 year old male, no co-morbidity has a 0.9% chance if being hospitalized.

Sorry 99.1% chance. OMG let me go run out and get him vaxxed right NOW.
And the above comment is pretty much a microcosm one of the problems facing our country at large now, dare I say,  not just with COVID.  Instead of using this whole thing as a teaching moment about being a good member of a community in taking care of one another, helping out others less fortunate we teach a big "not my problem".  Covid continuing to ebb and flow around (and mutate) has potential to make havoc on a lot of people, namely the immunocompromised.  A lot of folks are depending on the community at large to help them.  A large chunk of that community is pretty much flipping them the bird.  We used to better look after and take care of one another...and teach our kids a much better selfless lesson.

So you're basically admitting vaccinated people do pass the virus which was his point. 
Comparative rates?

If an unvaccinated, infected person's capacity to transmit the virus over a given time period is given a number, (X) ...

Then a vaccinated, infected person's capacity to transmit the virus over a given time period is (X - Y), where Y is a statistically significant figure.

I don't think what unvaccinated/vaccinated people "can" do is all that meaningful. What's more meaningful is "what's their rate and/or likelihood?" for doing something. Sure, I can make an NBA three-pointer. However, Steph Curry would still smoke me in three-point percentage over a given number of attempts.

It helps to think of human beings as potential virus carriers (and not just for COVID) ... viral conduits, if you will. Similarly, garden hoses are conduits for water. Unvaccinated people are like a wide open garden hose shooting out a full flow of water. Vaccinated people are like a kinked garden hose -- sure, some trickle of water will get through so you could say "Water can pass through the kinked garden hose". But does that water in the kinked hose pass through just like a wide open hose? Are the rates different? Which hose fills a bucket faster?

Comparative rates?

If an unvaccinated, infected person's capacity to transmit the virus over a given time period is given a number, (X) ...

Then a vaccinated, infected person's capacity to transmit the virus over a given time period is (X - Y), where Y is a statistically significant figure.

I don't think what unvaccinated/vaccinated people "can" do is all that meaningful. What's more meaningful is "what's their rate and/or likelihood?" for doing something. Sure, I can make an NBA three-pointer. However, Steph Curry would still smoke me in three-point percentage over a given number of attempts.

It helps to think of human beings as potential virus carriers (and not just for COVID) ... viral conduits, if you will. Similarly, garden hoses are conduits for water. Unvaccinated people are like a wide open garden hose shooting out a full flow of water. Vaccinated people are like a kinked garden hose -- sure, some trickle of water will get through so you could say "Water can pass through the kinked garden hose". But does that water in the kinked hose pass through just like a wide open hose? Are the rates different? Which hose fills a bucket faster?
Yep I get all that. The poster didn't say vaccinated people pass it on at the same rate though. So stop putting words into people's mouths.

Amazing we're almost 2 years into this and people still don't understand that cloth masks are not intended to protect you; they're intended to prevent you from spreading the virus.  
And it works. There have been numerous cases in my kid’s elementary school, but so far no evidence of transmission within the school. 

Don't be obtuse. 

Direct quote:
"Vaccinated individuals pass the virus onto others just as in vaccinated individuals do"

Vaccinated folks CAN pass it on but "just as in vaccinated [sic] individuals do" is incorrect. The duration is notably different. Plus the odds of becoming a carrier in the first place is much much less. 

In the context of his claim, it's either ignorant of the facts or extremely disingenuous...  it's akin to saying "people wearing seatbelts in car accidents die just as unbelted people do" in the context of delegitimizing the dramatic risk reduction.

Context matters. Again, no. 

That article makes it sound an awful lot like the vaccine is working pretty well

"She added that pediatricians at the Tshwane hospital had told them, anecdotally, that “all” of the children ages 12-18 who were admitted were not vaccinated, even though they were eligible. “And the younger children, younger than 12, who were not eligible for vaccination, none of their parents, except for three, were vaccinated.”

Just checking in case I missed it? 

ANY reputable study show efficacy for Ivermectin yet? 
There were dimwits posting on Facebook that they were crapping worms after taking it.

Uh no, that's the mucus lining of your intestines,  and you definitely want to Google that stuff, it's really important, and protects you from a host of nasty stuff the you don't want to get. 

Think about what travels in your intestines, and if you want it to leak into your body, through a doorway that used to be protected by a lining of mucus. 

Which you no longer have because you crapped out into your toilet.  

New Jersey was down to a low of around 300 daily cases I believe in late June/early July. Today we recorded 4,463, almost a 1500% increase in 5 months. Fortunately deaths are still low but hospitalizations are over 1000 after a low of around 180

Hopefully we don't see the same rate of hospitalizations from kids 5 and under that S.Africa is seeing, that would be horrible.

My guess is Omicron was here in the US (and other countries) before S.Africa reported their first case, mostly because we weren't looking for it because we didn't know it existed.
The problem with this is I think Omicron has a fairly distinct / atypical PCR result, if I'm reading things correctly 

Hopefully we don't see the same rate of hospitalizations from kids 5 and under that S.Africa is seeing, that would be horrible.
That's the part that worries me. I know kids have recovered more quickly from previous variant but we're not going to know for 5, 10, 20 years the longterm effect of COVID on young people during their formative years. For some bizarre reason there's more talk today about "unknown longterm effects" of vaccination than of COVID itself.

Users who are viewing this thread