What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

There's some very early evidence that omicron is out-competing delta in the UK.  Obviously if that is the case in the UK, it will be the same elsewhere.  That's not necessarily terrible news since we don't know much or really anything at all about the virulence of omicron, but delta was a fairly "nice" variant to have as the dominant strain so anything that dethrones delta is probably not going to work to our benefit.  
Disagree. Delta is more contagious and at least as deadly as the variants that preceded it. Omicron could go either way.

That study says nothing about unvaccinated people who have had COVID, which is the point you say it backs you up on.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02516-4

Have fun.  Full study link there.
Here's what it says.

Older Israelis who have received a third dose of a COVID-19 vaccine are much less likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2 or to develop severe COVID-19 than are those who have had only two jabs
That study says nothing about unvaccinated people who have had COVID, which is the point you say it backs you up on. Apparently you don't even know what your links say.

The problem with this is I think Omicron has a fairly distinct / atypical PCR result, if I'm reading things correctly 
It is, for some NAATs, but usually the test results aren’t given with enough detail to recognize the difference. Typically, it’s “positive” or negative”.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not about the article.  Just me.  Is there a difference between unvaccinated and had covid unvaccinated,
That last article you posted concludes:

The researchers also found that people who had SARS-CoV-2 previously and received one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine were more highly protected against reinfection than those who once had the virus and were still unvaccinated. 
 Do you accept that finding? Agree it favors vaccinating for previously infected?

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Get your kids vaccinated. Get your “booster” (which is really shot 3 in the prime)
Kids 5 an under can't get vaxxed

They still don't know if the vax protects against omicron

2 strikes. One more and you're out

fatness said:
My oldest son believes what you believe. He's had COVID once, in April 2020, and is currently waiting on the results from his test yesterday to see if he has it again. I personally know people who are not vaccinated who have had COVID twice.
I know ALOT more people (dozens) who have been vaccinated and gotten covid than people who have been reinfected (0)

Also, does the first covid infection prevent hospitalization for the 2nd? In other words, does natural immunity act like the vax?

Also, does the first covid infection prevent hospitalization for the 2nd? In other words, does natural immunity act like the vax?
Prior COVID-19 infection does not protect as well as vaccine against reinfection: CDC

Patients hospitalized with COVID-like symptoms were five times more likely to test positive for Sars-Cov-2, if they were unvaccinated and had a prior history of having COVID-19, compared to those who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine and had no history of coronavirus infection, according to a report last week by the CDC.

Hot off the press from Your Local Epidemiologist....

I'll be honest, I had thought thus far that Omicron was going to be a nothing burger. Wishful thinking I guess. But this concerns me a bit.

Omicron Update: Dec 4 (YLE)

• This (South Africa data over the pandemic and including up through 11/27/21) is the first evidence to show us that the rate of reinfection with Omicron is high—3 times higher than Delta. In other words, infection-induced immunity is not doing a great job at stopping Omicron.
  • US is seeing case growth across the nation with 94,926 new cases per day. Hot spots are clustered in the Northern states who were largely untouched by Delta during the summer, but all geographic areas in the United States are increasing.
  • Not nearly enough people are fully protected going into the Winter months. Only 59.7% of the United States is fully vaccinated (which the CDC defines as not having a booster, which really needs to change). Only 22% of 18+ are boosted and, even more concerning, only 46% of those aged 65+.

Hot off the press from Your Local Epidemiologist....

I'll be honest, I had thought thus far that Omicron was going to be a nothing burger. Wishful thinking I guess. But this concerns me a bit.

Omicron Update: Dec 4 (YLE)

• This (South Africa data over the pandemic and including up through 11/27/21) is the first evidence to show us that the rate of reinfection with Omicron is high—3 times higher than Delta. In other words, infection-induced immunity is not doing a great job at stopping Omicron.
  • US is seeing case growth across the nation with 94,926 new cases per day. Hot spots are clustered in the Northern states who were largely untouched by Delta during the summer, but all geographic areas in the United States are increasing.
  • Not nearly enough people are fully protected going into the Winter months. Only 59.7% of the United States is fully vaccinated (which the CDC defines as not having a booster, which really needs to change). Only 22% of 18+ are boosted and, even more concerning, only 46% of those aged 65+.
Damn

Someone unvaxxed but previously infected can also get covid at a higher rate than the above person (according to the article above) but what are their chances of being hospitalized compared to the first person.
I don't know. That last link I  gave you was a study of hospitalized patients, patients that lived. There have been multiple links posted showing unvaccinated people are far more likely to be hospitalized. Perhaps you could look up the answer you're seeking.

Summary
Unvaccinated 12-34 year-olds in Washington are
•  5 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 12-34 year-olds.
•  17 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 12-34 year-olds.

Unvaccinated 35-64 year-olds are
•  5 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 35-64 year-olds.
•  18 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 35-64 year-olds.

Unvaccinated 65+ year-olds are
•  5 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
•  10 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
•  11 times more likely to die of COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/data-tables/421-010-CasesInNotFullyVaccinated.pdf

And now Omicron may have incorporated some genetic sequencing from the "common cold" which was encountered when in common cells.  Which could be why it transmits easier . . . .

And now Omicron may have incorporated some genetic sequencing from the "common cold" which was encountered when in common cells.  Which could be why it transmits easier . . . .
I literally just read something about the scientific debate on this. Another hypothesis is this is not a delta variant "child" but mutated (branched off much earlier) from an immunecompromised host

The early results seem to be checking all the boxes of concern - spreading wildly, evading natural and vaccine immunity and affecting younger kids. The biggest piece is severity. High cases that don’t result in hospitalizations and deaths negate much of the other concerns. In the next couple weeks we will see if these huge case jumps in SA result in surging hospitalizations. We’re also 7-10 days away from getting data from the vaccine manufactures on how resistant the variant is.

Those are the two most important things to watch in the next two weeks and will determined how screwed we are.

I literally just read something about the scientific debate on this. Another hypothesis is this is not a delta variant "child" but mutated (branched off much earlier) from an immunecompromised host
One interview I heard speculated that South Africa being the epicenter may indicate the mutation could be due to a co-infection with HIV because SA has a high incidence of undiagnosed cases.

So my sense of smell had been gradually coming back over the last couple of days.  Now, it's completely gone again.  WTH?  Anyone else experience this?

My small office workplace had been relatively spared by other waves.  Now there have been about 6 of us get it in the last 2 weeks.  And my coworkers families.

The early results seem to be checking all the boxes of concern - spreading wildly, evading natural and vaccine immunity and affecting younger kids. The biggest piece is severity. High cases that don’t result in hospitalizations and deaths negate much of the other concerns. In the next couple weeks we will see if these huge case jumps in SA result in surging hospitalizations. We’re also 7-10 days away from getting data from the vaccine manufactures on how resistant the variant is.

Those are the two most important things to watch in the next two weeks and will determined how screwed we are.
I think hospitalizations are indeed up in South Africa.  

Users who are viewing this thread