What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

So my sense of smell had been gradually coming back over the last couple of days.  Now, it's completely gone again.  WTH?  Anyone else experience this?

My small office workplace had been relatively spared by other waves.  Now there have been about 6 of us get it in the last 2 weeks.  And my coworkers families.
Of the people I know who had taste/smell issues after infection, several reported the on/off condition for several months post infection where taste/smell would just randomly come and go

I think hospitalizations are indeed up in South Africa.  
It’s all relative, cases have made astronomical jumps, so some increase will be expected no matter what. The answer we have to wait for is how much they rise. Is it proportional to the case increase or less? How does it compare to Delta - more or less likely to put you in the hospital after a positive case. It will likely be a a couple weeks before we see the true effects of the case rise.

So my sense of smell had been gradually coming back over the last couple of days.  Now, it's completely gone again.  WTH?  Anyone else experience this?

My small office workplace had been relatively spared by other waves.  Now there have been about 6 of us get it in the last 2 weeks.  And my coworkers families.
Had the same thing around a month ago. Gone for 7 days, back for a day, gone again next day, rinse repeat for a week. My sense of smell is back to normal, and taste seems to be back for good now although it still seems muted somewhat. No different taste though like some talk about… just less.

Had the same thing around a month ago. Gone for 7 days, back for a day, gone again next day, rinse repeat for a week. My sense of smell is back to normal, and taste seems to be back for good now although it still seems muted somewhat. No different taste though like some talk about… just less.
That's good to know.  My sense of smell was back but jacked up for a little while.  I fried up some bacon and I swear it smelled like I was making cotton candy (and burning it).

I know ALOT more people (dozens) who have been vaccinated and gotten covid than people who have been reinfected (0)

Also, does the first covid infection prevent hospitalization for the 2nd? In other words, does natural immunity act like the vax?
How many vaccinated people do you know, compared to those who’ve had Covid? Which vaccines?

How many asymptomatic people do you know who’ve been diagnosed with Covid? 

Is it possible there’s a bias in place which makes vaccine failures far more likely to be publicized?

It's amazing how tone and context can affect what we take away from articles like this. Here is CBS News' take on on the same story:

South Africa investigates "sharp increase" in hospitalized children with COVID

Officials in South Africa are not saying that there's any evidence the variant poses a greater danger to the youngest children, compared to previous variants - all ages in South Africa are seeing a "steep increase" in infections and hospitalizations.

Instead, some may have incidentally tested positive for COVID-19 after being hospitalized for other reasons, or are being admitted by health care providers as a precaution. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron-variant-children-south-africa/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=142983687

Of the people I know who had taste/smell issues after infection, several reported the on/off condition for several months post infection where taste/smell would just randomly come and go
My wife and I both got it back in August. She had the full effect of covid sans hospitalization and I really only had a bad headache for a couple days.  Within the last 2 weeks or so she has started complaining about constantly “smelling” smoke; not cigarette smoke, but burning wood smoke and her eyes get that burning sensation from it too.  

It's amazing how tone and context can affect what we take away from articles like this.
What I took away from each of them is remarkably similar.

dailybeast article:

She added: “The incidence in those under 5 is now second highest, second only to those over 60. The trend that we’re seeing now, that is different to what we’ve seen before, is a particular increase in hospital admissions in children under 5 years.
CBS News article:

Rates of COVID-19 among hospitalized younger children in South Africa under five "is now second highest and second only to the incidence in those over 60." 

What I took away from each of them is remarkably similar.

dailybeast article:

CBS News article:
Sure that part is. But the CBS news article included the paragraphs I quoted, whereas the Daily Beast article did not address any underlying reasons numbers are up. It changes the entire tone of the story. I mean, you took away the incidence rate without any nod toward the possibility that incidental infection might be a factor. The reason that wasn't considered by you (or anyone else reading the Daily Beast version) is because they didn't bother to include it.

The way stories are constructed is instructive. It may well be that kids in S. Africa are suddenly getting hospitalized because of Omicron in huge numbers, or it may be that huge numbers of kids in S. Africa who are hospitalized are catching Omicron. We don't know yet. But the difference is the Beast article leads you by the nose to the first conclusion, while the CBS article allows for either possibility.

The difference I'm seeing is between 15.8 cases/ 100,000 residents and 21.7/100,000 residents.

I guess we could speculate on why it was hidden but to me that's not the point. The information is public now and seems relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference I'm seeing is between 15.8 cases/ 100,000 residents and 21.7/100,000 residents.

I guess we could speculate on why it was hidden but to me that's not the point. The information is public now and seems relevant.
You can delete my quote or this post.

My math was awful

The chart in the article shows the level of cases actually narrowing between the two cohorts after the mask mandate is announced. The decline in cases is actually faster in the unmasked areas. I'm not understanding what the issue is here.

Battersbox said:
The chart in the article shows the level of cases actually narrowing between the two cohorts after the mask mandate is announced. The decline in cases is actually faster in the unmasked areas. I'm not understanding what the issue is here.
Since July 26, when the first two of four counties announced their mask mandates, cases/100,000 have remained lower in mask mandated counties than in non-mask mandated counties. It's pretty straightforward.

This isn't good news.

For the first time in two months, the US is averaging more than 100,000 new Covid-19 cases each day, shortly after millions of Americans traveled for the Thanksgiving holiday. The seven-day moving average of new cases was 121,437 as of Saturday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University (JHU). Prior to this week, the US last topped the 100,000-cases-a-day mark in early October.

Because 80% of people had a normal thanksgiving despite not being boosted and 40% of the country unvaccinated. 

Apparently, Fauci said today that the signals are that Omicron isn’t severe and that “we feel certain that the vaccines protect against it.”  So hopefully that means freshly vaccinated kids and boosted adults are good to go for at least 6 months and we can go about our business as planned in 2022. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Since July 26, when the first two of four counties announced their mask mandates, cases/100,000 have remained lower in mask mandated counties than in non-mask mandated counties. It's pretty straightforward.
So, cases were lower in those counties both before and after mask mandates, but the gap actually narrowed after mask mandates? How is that supportive of mask mandates?

Because 80% of people had a normal thanksgiving despite not being boosted and 40% of the country unvaccinated. 

Apparently, Fauci said today that the signals are that Omicron isn’t severe and that “we feel certain that the vaccines protect against it.”  So hopefully that means freshly vaccinated kids and boosted adults are good to go for at least 6 months and we can go about our business as planned in 2022. 
Sig bet?

Summary
Unvaccinated 12-34 year-olds in Washington are
•  5 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 12-34 year-olds.
•  17 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 12-34 year-olds.

Unvaccinated 35-64 year-olds are
•  5 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 35-64 year-olds.
•  18 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 35-64 year-olds.

Unvaccinated 65+ year-olds are
•  5 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
•  10 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
•  11 times more likely to die of COVID-19 compared with fully vaccinated 65+ year-olds.
https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/data-tables/421-010-CasesInNotFullyVaccinated.pdf
I love seeing the scary numbers.  How about making them not-scary.

12-34 year olds in Washington. Using the rates/100k

Unvaccinated 1.4% likely hood of getting covid, vaccinated 0.3% .

Hospitalized Unvacc 0.04% vs Vaccinated 0.002%

Well that doesn't sell so...

EXACTLY

This whole 5x more, 8x more, etc bull#### statistic ignores how low the denominator is. Its manufactured hyped BS and tons of people on these forums fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

So, my 5yr old is a close contact for covid at his preschool. Was supposed to get his second vaccine shot on Wednesday but now that is delayed. They won’t even test him until this Wednesday. 

Users who are viewing this thread