What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

Could grocery stores and restaurants, etc make it mandatory to have to sanitize your hands before entering? Like literally have a bouncer at the door with a purell bottle?
Something much like this should be done. Might be hard to enforce, especially scaring up the necessary number of personnel to do it. And dealing with the "I'll do what I want!" and the "It's just the flu!" people -- who will never dwindle to zero, sadly.

Americans struggle badly with collective efforts, while it's second nature for many other cultures. I'm not sure if there's a value judgment inherent in that fact or not.

The tour operator is either delusional or just that desperate for business.  Level 4 is countries like North Korea, Sudan, and Central African Republic.  Universities have pretty much all cancelled travel to Level 3 countries -- which includes Italy and South Korea.  The school district is going to pull the plug at some point.
I agree with this - the school district is going to force the tour operator's hand shortly. As we watch Spain's #s grow rapidly, the reality of what's happening will set in. Everyone wants to go on the trip - of course they do. I think they're just delaying the inevitable though.

Something much like this should be done. Might be hard to enforce, especially scaring up the necessary number of personnel to do it. And dealing with the "I'll do what I want!" and the "It's just the flu!" people -- who will never dwindle to zero, sadly.

Americans struggle badly with collective efforts, while it's second nature for many other cultures. I'm not sure if there's a value judgment inherent in that fact or not.
If Karen needs a head of lettuce for taco Tuesday then damn it, Karen is getting a head of lettuce!

Our nation was BUILT on this.  When rebelling from a tyrant its a great attribute.

As an aside, this post seems to imply only those in healthcare,  actuaries, and or the  government can process the vast amount of public information that is widely available. 

Seems weird and agenda driven. But what do I know? I am not an actuary. 
Wasn't implying that at all.  Just seems odd that those not in those industries would have the time and energy to process and report on all that information.  I have a lot of time on my hands and can certainly access the information myself, but certain people here are coming across as experts in the field.  Not trying to say that's a bad thing.  I'm grateful for this thread and this forum in general.  It's a great place to get information.  I was simply curious if these people were in an industry that would make them an expert in the field.  That's it.

Wasn't implying that at all.  Just seems odd that those not in those industries would have the time and energy to process and report on all that information.  I have a lot of time on my hands and can certainly access the information myself, but certain people here are coming across as experts in the field.  Not trying to say that's a bad thing.  I'm grateful for this thread and this forum in general.  It's a great place to get information.  I was simply curious if these people were in an industry that would make them an expert in the field.  That's it.
Bruh.  You aren't new here.  I mean...its always this way!  

I like the speed in which info is added, its amazing to me and saves me time.  It's up to the reader then to filter out and use the info.

Bruh.  You aren't new here.  I mean...its always this way!  

I like the speed in which info is added, its amazing to me and saves me time.  It's up to the reader then to filter out and use the info.
:lol:   

I dunno, this thread goes well beyond a lot of the threads here.  

So hopefully y'all don't look at my post as complaining or trying to "call someone out".  I was genuinely interested in their backgrounds, if applicable.  If I'm just being dumb and short-sighted that is no huge surprise.  Perhaps all of this information is out there and a few folks here are just better at putting the puzzle pieces together for the rest of us.  Kudos and carry on.

:lol:   

I dunno, this thread goes well beyond a lot of the threads here.  

So hopefully y'all don't look at my post as complaining or trying to "call someone out".  I was genuinely interested in their backgrounds, if applicable.  If I'm just being dumb and short-sighted that is no huge surprise.  Perhaps all of this information is out there and a few folks here are just better at putting the puzzle pieces together for the rest of us.  Kudos and carry on.
What "puzzle pieces" do you think are being put together in here? 

Sometimes - I do "get lost" in the numbers.

For example lets say they say 1000 people have the virus...

I immediately think 1000 people in the hospital  which isn't the case and there are plenty of case that dont require it...

Not down playing anything thats just my immediate reactions

Sometimes - I do "get lost" in the numbers.

For example lets say they say 1000 people have the virus...

I immediately think 1000 people in the hospital  which isn't the case and there are plenty of case that dont require it...

Not down playing anything thats just my immediate reactions
If only 1,000 people have the virus, there's not a big issue.  But re-run the numbers if a million people have it.  

wow this would be huge (but understandable )

@adriandelmonte: BREAKING: Several European federations ask UEFA to postpone EURO 2020 until 2021, in order to complete their respective championships. 

The idea is being considered by UEFA.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
Pittsburgh's St. Patrick's Day parade draws about 250-300k people if the weather is good.   Just heard on the radio that it is a full go for Saturday.

If only 1,000 people have the virus, there's not a big issue.  But re-run the numbers if a million people have it.  
Im not disagreeing....  I'm just saying when I see 1000 people in the US have it - I immediately think "1000 people are on their death beds"....

Not stating a case either way - that just my initial reaction

More anecdotal reports. 

Metro North on my line is running at what I guess is 70% of usual.  There were less people today than yesterday when it was noticeably lower.

Our local school has indicated they will shutter when the first case is reported.  

My three Italian workshops report that they continue to work at about 80% capacity despite the lock down. Their older staff have been quarantined for their safety. Two shipments of product were sent out yesterday but are currently held in Italian customs.  They are all freaked out but feel they cannot stop working as they can't do without the income. They report "it's like a bad sci fi movie."  

Midtown Manhattan is weird right now.  There are a lot of people out and about but WAY WAY down from the norm. The mood is super subdued.  

Although the St. Pattty parade has not been canceled, they have yet to drop off the barriers that would normally be staged by now.  I'm going to go ahead and predict a cancellation.  

Last edited by a moderator:
wow this would be huge (but understandable )

@adriandelmonte: BREAKING: Several European federations ask UEFA to postpone EURO 2020 until 2021, in order to complete their respective championships. 

The idea is being considered by UEFA.
I'd imagine the goal is to finish domestic leagues and the CL/EL in the summer.

Just got an email from several levels up the Navy chain of command that everybody is supposed to take their laptops home every night in case they decide to have us work from home. Even lowly contractors like me.

There’s going to be a pretty significant difference in experience of this depending on location. NYC and the outskirts of Butte aren’t going to have the same experience. That may explain some of the differing reactions and attitudes. People in densely populated areas probably don’t want to hear from the “its nothing” guy who lives in the middle of nowhere.

I think washing hands frequently or using hand sanitizer is always a good policy when out and about. I know I hate getting sick. 
Sorry - I was more referencing the no more big groups, colleges doing online classes only, no sporting events,  etc

There’s going to be a pretty significant difference in experience of this depending on location. NYC and the outskirts of Butte aren’t going to have the same experience. That may explain some of the differing reactions and attitudes. People in densely populated areas probably don’t want to hear from the “its nothing” guy who lives in the middle of nowhere.
I was thinking that when I looked at the infection map.  The coasts are getting slammed, and places like the Dakotas aren't reporting any cases at all.

My dad lives in a small town and recently had a heart attack.  I spent 3 days in a small town hospital.  The ICU was 100% full.  Small towns aren't necessarily going to fare any better.

See new Tweets

Conversation

Liam Martin

@LiamWBZ

BREAKING: Massachusetts has just announced 51 *new* cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of presumptive cases to 92 -- a 124 percent increase from yesterday. Seventy of the cases are related to the Biogen conference in Boston. Six people are hospitalized. #WBZ

12:40 PM · Mar 10, 2020·Twitter Web Client

Users who are viewing this thread